Chapter 39 Matters to attend to.
120 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV Anna

I've been at home for a day after that difficult battle. Sometimes replaying it in my head, sometimes just relaxing, sometimes getting worried thinking about the reason as to why that all-powerful healing hot spring couldn't just magically fix him up in a few minutes.

There wasn't a precedent thus far. Was the damage so severe? Is there a limit to the number of times it can be used effectively? Is it something else? Will it heal us the next time? What if it can't? Can we get strong enough to move forward safety? Did we rush in, heedless of the danger?

"Damn, again. Stop worrying already, it's not helpful! `Sigh. This is just a hurdle, the first serious hurdle to overcome. Besides, we won't be diving into deep waters right now."

It's about lunchtime, and I need to get a few things done today.

I find my parents seated down and the kitchen staff setting down dishes on the table.

"Mother: Are you feeling better sweetheart? Do you need help with something?"

"Father: Is someone messing with you? If it's an unruly boy then let father have a fist to face conversation with him."

'What? I can't have a bad day and be left alone for a day? I can damn well bench press a bodybuilder by myself if I need to!'

I'm not in the mood for digging into my problems over lunch. A glare from me sends both my parents flinching back.

"Father: R-r-right, our girl is strong enough to handle such silly things herself."

The staff hurriedly finish up and leave us alone.

I may have overdone it, if one considers the layer of sweat glistering on father's forehead. 'Is this because of the Lv up?' I keep gazing intently at father, trying to get a feel and understand what has changed.

"Mother: Sweetie, let your father off the hook. He didn't mean to pry into a young woman's life."

We continue eating in a less chatty atmosphere until I bring up a topic for discussion.

"Anna: I will be working during the vacation and likely working after graduation."

"Mother: What kind of "work" do you mean?"

"Anna: The kind that will build a company from zero to top 10 worldwide in a few years. You've liked the presents?"

She has definitely been using the special skincare products I've been sending, that much I can see at a glance.

"Mother: … You have owning rights to these products? How much do you own? Can we turn it into a family business?"

"Anna: Around 10% of everything. I could count the number of people involved on my hands. And… There are products that won't be seeing the light of day for a century to come."

'Shock and awe. A bit of payback for your little jab there father.'

I stand up taking a clean knife with me and walk towards father.

"Father: Sss sweet daughter of mine… Fffather won't talk about any marriage partners anymore! Promise! Please put the knife down!"

'How many times was that promised over the last two years? Hmm…? Six or seven dozen times? Maybe this time, you'll learn to stop pushing those snot nosed pretty boys my way.'

With my physique, I easily clamp down his hand and make a swift cut across his palm. Ignoring the high pitched screaming from two sides, I fetch a small bottle from my pocket and empty a quarter on the wound. 

… .. .

"Father: …. It's … How? But… there's so much blood. Where is the cut and pain gone?"

"Mother: …What is in that bottle? The lotion also repairs skin but not like this."

'That took 10 whole damn minutes. A measly cut! Father lacks training from all the paperwork, I better get him into shape while I'm here.'

"Anna: 10%. Take a moment to consider the consequences of owning rights to such a highly limited, magical product."

I give them a moment to consider and converse. As people running a large business it doesn't take much effort for them to imagine a prosperous future.

"Father: What can we do to help? Who are the other involved parties?"

'Heh, that's more like it. Still, you are getting some physical training today.'

Mari has helped greatly in coming up with a script believable enough to accept and vague enough to indicate that there is plenty more to it that can't be spoken aloud.

"Father: I understand. A nice front indeed, we can work with that draft. I assume that everyone involved is getting the same.. introduction?"

My response is a business smile, indicating neither agreement nor disagreement.

"Anna: I've got some initial introduction papers in my room for you to go over. But. You are getting a workout before starting on that. You can't neglect your physical training to this degree!"

This is very unfair of me, seeing as my strength is over the limit of Olympic athletes. Well…no better motivation than getting your ass handed to you by your daughter.

"You too Mother. Don't try to sneak away while my back is turned. We are having a family sports week!"

'I also need to adjust my control again, as I definitely feel stronger after that boss battle. This is good for us all.'

… .. .

This actually helps me to unwind and return to a normal state of mind. …I will go back and spend a day keeping watch, but first I need to properly pull myself together.

POV Risa

"Fuuuuu … Single sword style: Rocks shatter." I swing my katana, blade bitting into a thick tree.

"I should change the name into "paper gets cut", because this display is pathetic. Not even halfway decent! Tch!"

I sit down to meditate. The skill is good in itself, but my own abilities are lacking. The swing isn't enough, the cut isn't enough, the control isn't enough.

'I am limiting my own potential. I act as if I wield a sword to make the cut, when I should be wielding the sword to guide mana and perform the impossible.'

There is only so much that our mortal strength can realistically achieve. I have access to ethereal energy made manifest, so why do I stick to using only my limited knowledge and strength?

"I need to practice more to grasp this concept and put it into use."

I check the time and decide to make my round and grab a drink. A few steps away from me is the portal from the dungeon's first floor back to our planet. This training ground is convenient for letting loose and destroying things, like trees, because they regrow the next day and there is no need for a cleanup afterwards.

I check that everything is ok with the man lying on the bed. The hanging bags with clear liquid aren't empty, and the monitor isn't flashing any warnings.

"All good. No problems here. … I'm trying to get this right, so that next time I can cut that thing to pieces. Once it's limbless, I'll cut its head clean off. It wouldn't matter if it can absorb our mana or regenerate. After that… Maybe Lv up again and explore the ocean floor. No idea how we are going to fight underwater, but that's a problem for another day. … This floor is bigger than the last. You probably won't be able to go all the way across it. Maybe fishing? There should be fishes of fish monsters. You'll make some amazing fish dishes for us. Well … mm.. I'll go for a drink."

I've been told that talking with a person in that condition can be beneficial for them, so even though I'm not good at it I try to talk for a bit.

"I think there's a music app on the tablet.. Hmm.. Yeah, there it is.. and shuffle playlist. There we go."

There are three more hours left before Ms. Juliana comes to relieve me. Enough time to meditate and make another two rounds.

"Mmm…I could go for some chips. Eh, they probably won't turn out as good as his."

Looking through the fridge doesn't yield surprisingly good result. I opted for the easier route and decided to make pancakes. The spreads are already made, so all I needed was to make the batter and fry enough for myself. A quick search online gives me the proportions required.

`Ring`Ring`Ring

"Tai: Hey Risa, how are things?"

"Risa: Hey Tai, everything is ok. I'm just making pancakes."

"Tai: Good. Do you want to join me tomorrow? I'm going to pay a visit to a master swordsmith and make a request for new weapons. I've lost plenty of mine to the dungeon."

'A new katana. I haven't been gentle on mine, and I could use a spare one for practice.'

"Risa: Sure, I'll ask around if I'm not needed here tomorrow and text you in the afternoon."

Talking to Mari gets me a go ahead for tomorrow. 'I need to practice until then.'

I continue my training until evening, coming back from the dungeon every couple of hours to check on things and keep Ms. Juliana company during my breaks.

…. … .. .

Tai picked me up in the morning, and we were brought to a small house at the countryside.

"Tai: The old fogey doesn't do much nowadays regardless of payment, we will have to convince him to do some work for us."

`Buzz`Buzz

"Tai: OLD MAN!! WAKE UP!! The sun is shining!"

`Buzz`Knock knock!

"Old Man: Stop buzzing! I'm not that old! Damn kids! What do you want? I'm not buying anything."

'We could have waited patiently. Now he is grumpy.'

"Tai: What? How cold! We came to offer tea and biscuits … and ask about your disciples."

"Old Man: Tch, what do you need from them? Haaa, kids these days. Fine, come in, ask your questions. I'll make sure that they charge you double for the troubles."

'The hell? How did that work? I was sure that he would start shouting and chasing us away.'

I glance at Tai, but she only smiles and walks away. 'Did she use a ninja trick?' I don't get it but follow along.

We sit down and get served tea with rice crackers. He obviously is telling us to hurry up and leave. Unphased, Tai passes over my damaged weapon.

"Tai: This weapon has served us well…"

"Old Man: Hm! Kids playing with weapons like some toys … … The HELL did you do with this sword!! IT'S NOT made for hitting rocks! Brats! Did you come here to play pranks?!"

The old fart gets all in my face after looking over the battered weapon. I've been mindful of my manners, but this ticks me off. Treating us like kids playing some games and unknowingly insulting us. I'm about to blow my top.

Without standing up, I raise my hand and chop it down towards the old fart. ..A bit of my feelings might have bled into the chop, as he holds the katana in a defensive stance upon receiving my glare.

"Old Man: `Hutgh…. Sword … Intent. `Gulp. I .. apologize for my outburst young Mistress."

'Oh…fuck sticks. I was going to hit the table and not fucking start slashing the old fart! Fuck! My mind is still so focused on training that I've done this shit subconsciously!'

I've gone rigid, and my back must be drenched with cold sweat. The old man turned to Tai to observe her too. However…

"Tai: Who are you looking at, old man?"

The Tai next to me vanished in a blink of an eye and a second one is now sitting next to him. 'The fuck!? Genjutsu? Afterimage? Shadow clone? I didn't notice anything!'

"Old Man: …Spare this old timer from a heart attack. I usually don't deal with shinobi these days. My health isn't what it used to be."

"Tai: Then how about a deal? As compensation for the disrespect towards the young Mistress and a down payment of a few bottles of secret healing medicine. Or do you want normal money instead?"

'The fuck are you playing at?! And why are you playing along OLD FART!'

"Old Man: … I'll make the first one for free, but anything more will need to be purchased."

"Tai: Hehe~Then as a show of trust, let us share this bottle."

Tai takes out one of the healing potions and takes a sip after shaking it. Then she places it in front of the old master, who looks at it, then at me, then back down on it for a few more times before deciding.

"Old Man: Mm, tastes a bit like apple cider. ..I ..I feel more fatigued. Is…"

"Tai: Nope. A slight side effect, your body spends energy on repairs, that's where the fatigue comes from. It should clear after a few minutes unless you were in a really bad health and hiding it, then it's better to take a nap."

"Old Man: Good, good, yes, I still need to make the weapons, can't go kicking the bucket this early. I'll sit down in my chair for a moment, please finish your tea and we can talk business then."

'I think that he was scared shitless for a moment there. Thinking that it's poison. Haa.. I even haven't said a word and now he is acting all docile towards me.'

"Tai: Would you like more tea Mistress?"

Right now, I want to chop someone very intentionally.

"Risa: WTF are you doing?"

"Tai: Playing along? What do you expect me to do after your little stunt? Just pretend that you didn't try to cut him in half? He is old, not mental. I'm covering up so that we don't have problems down the line."

'Fuck! It was an accident! He pissed me off and I acted on reflex! Gods! Now I have to keep up this stupid charade.'

"Tai: Relax, I can work with this. He gets paid and a bit of a health boost, we get some masterwork weapons. Fewer people will bother asking questions if the old man requests personalized weapons for some VIP clients, compared to us ordering them in person. Both sides are benefiting from this, and we can throw in some healing skin lotion for his old lady to sweeten the deal."

'Is that why she said that the payment will be 2 potions? One for him and one for his wife? Making him indebted to us by force? Tch, I don't like such dirty tricks.'

"Tai: Yes, keep that expression, deadly condemnation and unflappable pride. Mmm, even I get the chills, good acting!"

'This fucking pisses me off. I'll slap you silly when we get back!' I meditate, so that I don't fly off the handle. This girl is too much of a pain in the ass when she is left to her own devices, without Anna's supervision.

In the end, I've remained mostly quiet and put in an order for personalized katanas. I don't like the method used, but I can't argue with the fact that I've fucked up and we've got things sorted while remaining somewhat low key.

'I am NOT going shopping with her alone ever again.'

POV Maiko

To my greatest shame and horror, my prized physical strength amounted to barely a supporting role when we were truly tested. I … have FAILED Lady Mari, I wasn't strong enough, brave enough, collected enough, skilled enough and more. I've had believed that I've overcome my old self, that I could shoulder anything, instead … I could only push others to sacrifice themselves.

I've taken a page from Risa's training method. If my physical strength isn't enough, then I'll command mana itself to become my strength. Not just amplify my base strength, but truly learn how it can be wielded as an extension of my being. However, focusing everything on a weapon is better left for a Samurai. As an Exemplar of War, I feel that it is not my path.

"My whole body is my weapon, my being, a pressure to crush the enemies before me. Mountain pressure!"

`Crack!!! `Thud`thud `thud

"Better. Not nearly good enough, but better."

I can let loose on the first floor and damage any trees, rocks and monsters I wish to. I try to command mana with every fiber of my body, creating a second, stronger layer around me. Progress is a slow crawl and mentally exhausting as my body isn't used to controlling this amount of mana.

"Fuuu, fuu, it's like training a new layer of muscles all over my body. This mental strain probably won't disappear until I properly train up my muscle memory and shift the burden from my brain to my body."

At the moment there is no need to rush and push myself over the breaking point. 'One injured person is enough. Lady Mari would not forgive me for such acts of foolishness.'

I stop training once I feel my head overloading and head back for a break.

.. .

"Mari: To rescue the hostage Princess Fina from the terrible witch Ellelaura, the great Hero, Yuna, has arrived at the mines, but… Hark! A golem blocks heroic Yuna's way! The golem extends its arm and launches a newer-ending barrage of pebbles at her."

'What … Is Lady Mari reading? A fairytale? Why?' I walk closer to the door, listening to the story of a young bear girl?

"Mari: Meiko, welcome back."

"Meiko: I'm back. Lady Mari, you are early today, is Chiyo still in a bad mood?"

"Mari: Mmm, quite, I've been given the task of reading aloud this novel as punishment. To make it worse, it's not even the first volume."

'Oh, that explains it.' I nod in understanding. Lady Mari normally wouldn't read such works and Chiyo probably didn't want to do anything drastic.

"Meiko: Excuse me for a minute to take a shower. I will carry him upstairs after that."

Being locked up underground is in no way healthy, so we move him to the rooftop for an hour to get some fresh air and sunlight every day.

I set him on a recliner before going downstairs to make tea for us, there are a few things I want to talk about.

"Meiko: Lady Mari, have you given any thought about our immediate future plans? Do we proceed as planned with the exploration of the fourth floor?"

"Mari: … … This new floor is much more expansive than the previous ones, not to mention that it's mostly covered by water. I was thinking of asking my little warriors to act as scouts if there are no airborne threats. We can get some use out of those miniature cameras once again."

'Indeed, since regular drones get digested by the dungeon we can just fasten recording cameras on the scouts.'

"Meiko: We should also make sure that the weather doesn't suddenly change at any time. An unexpected typhoon or a tsunami would prove to be deadly in combination with aquatic monsters."

"Mari: Yes, it would. I think that everyone is going all out to improve themselves right now, this will allow us time to do proper analysis of the floor, or at least the surface area. Exploring underwater as we are now, I don't know how we can manage to do that. It's too dangerous to make a halfhearted attempt. If the way down is hundreds of meters underwater, guarded by another monstrosity … there is the other option."

'Everyone must feel the need to get stronger, but if we need to face a more difficult battle while being underwater…'

"Meiko: Opening a new portal to a different location. It also carries great risks, as we have no way of knowing what the new location may be like. We may even encounter an alien civilization if we are unlucky, or should I say lucky?"

Neither of us knows the answer to that. Humanity is too violent as a whole to be introduced to an advanced alien civilization and we don't want to be forced to kill real, sapient aliens, even in the name of self-defense.

What if we start a conflict with a Type 3 civilization? Then Earth and humanity as we know it will be no more. What if the new environment is toxic to humans? What if we catch some deadly pathogens? The unknown is very frightening.

'Hopefully this place is built to work in our favour, and is set to only create connections with planets uninhabited by sapient aliens and that are relatively safe for humans to live on.'

4