Chapter 45 A School festival with an explosive start.
98 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV Mitsuko

"Someone has kicked the beehive."

That is the closest description for the buzz of activity happening everywhere at once. The ceremony has served as the launching platform for this whole thing and the Headmistress has lighted the fuse herself.

'I'm all in for showing passion, but I don't want to be running circles all day long!'

The preparations for the festival have kicked off big and loud. With encouragements from the Headmistress and the official announcement that the students council members are allowed and even encouraged to participate, the students have released all breaks. Several clubs almost started a war for the privilege of accommodating a single student council member.

'…Why is no-one fighting for having me on their team? Is everyone afraid that I would cause too much damage to the props?'

This feels a little bit unfair, but I'm not really into performing myself, so I don't kick up a fuss.

Compromises were made, and a number of performances would be done in collaboration with multiple clubs and the student council members.

"Kate: Work hard Mitsuko, maybe next year you can run for president and take over my position. Also… are you sure that you don't want to get involved? We could..hmm..dress you up as a maid? I've heard that clumsy maidens are a rare treat for people of peculiar tastes."

'HELL NO! To both of those! I'm not acting out the clumsy maid trope for anyone's pleasure! NO! NO! NO!'

"Mitsuko: My club is not that brazen or active, we are fine with just reading our own chosen literature in solitude. I'll be fine with looking around and keeping an eye on things."

I ignore those horrible images that my mind conjured up and return to work. One thing that I'm glad about, is the increased work force patrolling the areas in and around the buildings. Regardless how well we have distributed the spaces for each individual club, there will always be some complaints and shifting of lines. Keeping everyone in check is an exercise in futility with only three people.

'Uuuu! I'm hungry from all this stress. I want ice cream to smooth my nerves. `Sigh.'

Another difficult topic to breach. Everyone was in a downtrodden mood for a few days, and the crows didn't show up at all. I haven't asked about it, but judging from the mood and having seen the spirit Chef myself, I can't come up with many believable, positive guesses as to what happened.

'Tch, annoying people demanding things, again.'

"Mitsuko: …Haaa. The arts club requested for more display cases and to expand the seating arrangement. Again."

I see clear exasperation on Kate's face upon hearing this matter.

"Kate: And they still insist on staying at the same spot because of the "natural lighting conditions" or other such nuances, yes?"

I nod in confirmation. This is a recurring problem with prior arrangements. After everyone decided to go all out, the space normally reserved by the clubs became too small to accommodate everything they want to show off. Worse still, they refuse to move to bigger areas at the edges outside the established perimeter, expecting us to magically expand their available space or to chase away other clubs.

"Risa: We need to cut them all up and expand."

'Um..cut up..whom? We can't just cull the students…'

"Kate: ..That might be for the best. There is barely any work firmly affixed to the ground at the moment. Right. We must act now. Each individual area will be shifted outwards and expanded to fill in the gap. Risa, go get help. Mitsuko outline the immoveable areas. I'll work out the new locations for them all."

I got nervous for a moment there. However, it is true. If we consider the trend, then we might end up doing this later anyway, so it's better to organise and implement the move for everyone right now. Otherwise frameworks will be assembled and become a big hindrance.

'A full week of this…chaos. Haaa, I'll need a vacation again just to regain my spirit once it's all over. Why did I agree to join the ASC in the first place? I could have been reading manga at the moment and not doing this!'

I once again thank the heavens that Kate is competent and that we can call for more help when needed. Being made to work on everything by ourselves would have broke my fragile self, and I would have gone on a destructive rampage across the campus.

"I NEED ice cream."

….. …. … .. .

POV Chiyo

It's finally the first day of the festival!

I could only get permission to attend today, and tomorrow I'll have to do my part back at school. 

'I'll remind dad to film the interesting events tomorrow, so that I can watch them later.'

We have already walked around to get the lay of the land. Snacks were gathered, drinks hidden away from the sun, games were won and lost. I even got a couple of plush toys as trophies!

"A.K: It is about time for the… show. Do we need to bring anything… else?"

"Juliana: Nope, I've got enough snacks and wet towels for all the girls here."

"Chiyo: Let's move before all the seats are taken. I know that sis has set us enough seats aside, but you never know with so many people around."

Our group of five moves with the flow of the crowd. There are many more visitors compared to the sports festival and I see plenty of highschool students like myself.

'Probably next year graduates. Maybe they are planning to attend this academy next year and are looking around to see what the senior students are like?'

Eventually, we get close to the central stage and slip out of the flow of people. There are many who have gathered in advance, but it's not too crowded for us to easily move up to the front row. I find five seats with signs on them, clearly telling everyone that they are reserved for us.

"A.K: …The old ha.. Kuhum… The Headmistress is personally attending.. today's event."

I look to the side, finding special seating arrangement for the teaching staff. Among them is an elderly lady, sitting without making any movements or undue noise. Her presence is almost compelling me to sit straight and look forward without making any chitchat. Even dad looks to be uncomfortable with the woman.

'I bet that the students will perform at 110% just to not be reprimanded by her later.'

I shake off this uncomfortable feeling and decide to focus on the stage. It is mostly baren earth at the front, musical instruments at the back and tall, colourful curtains as the backdrop.

The curtains themselves look like a piece of art with cherry blossom and flowering trees hand painted on the massive pieces of cloth. The design varied from section to section too much for it to be a manufactured product and I'm fairly certain that I can make out signatures at the bottom of each one.

"Chiyo: I don't remember our arts club showing off such massive works."

"A.K: Hmm… The scale and execution are very… well done. There is much talent and dedication…on display."

Some BGM is playing, and we leisurely wait for another half an hour before the event officially begins.

.. .

'Too many speeches. Get to the fun part!!'

"Announcer: The honour of the first performance is upheld by the kendo club representative Bettou Risa, together with members of the dance club, music club and the literature club. Please give them a warm welcome! Performing! Kenshibu! Blossoms of youth!!"

Five students in kimonos of bright red, decorated with white flowers, and a darker hakama stand on the stage. At the centre of them, I can recognize Risa.

She is especially stunning today. Her sharp features are mellowed down with makeup, and she is wearing a complete cherry blossom ensemble, only contrasted by the katana at her waist.

The backdrop is filled with the blasting music instruments, singers, flag bearers and even more dancers.

'This almost looks like a concert.'

"Juliana: I'll be damned, they prettied up Risa quite nicely. I bet that a good number of boys will be more than willing to drop to her feet and beg for a chance. If we take the sword away, then she would be swarmed by suitors."

"Chiyo: I don't think that she needs fake admirers. If they can't see her beauty without this whole facade, then they are blind to her true self."

'Besides, they would piss themselves once she draws her sword. That would ruin her mood, or… anyone's mood, honestly.'

"Juliana: Hehe~ that's right. If you can't be with us at our worst, then you don't deserve us at our best. Pretty boys are just that, grab them by the balls and they start wailing like children. No, leave those for their parents to nurse, find someone to provide a strong support for when life gets rough. Don't choose an idiot who values himself over family… like I did."

I don't have anything else to add to that, only my agreement. The thunderous music signals the beginning of the performance, and the front dancers unfold their fans.

The choreography is beautifully performed in sync with every element. The singers blaze a trail for the dancers, and the flag bearers follow with wide strides. Everything is in motion, except for Risa.

'Why is there so much vibration coming from the stage?'

There are a number of big drums on stage, but this feeling is different. It feels like an unseen giant is stalking you. The footfalls merge with the music, and the dance becomes more intense.

This uncertainty forces the audience to concentrate their focus to the limit. To look for the unseen giant among the dancers. To listen to its footfalls between the canopy of music and poetry.

Risa has not joined the dance, remaining a silently blossoming cherry tree at the eye of the storm.

I lose sight of the centre stage as the flag bearers make a large move forward obscuring our view. The tension rises a notch, with louder and heavier vibrations shaking our bodies.

The singers tear at our hearts, the dancers beckon for our attention, the music is reaching out to draw us in… and the cocoon unfolds.

The flags are pulled back, the dancers retreat, the drumming slows down and the voices mellow out.

Two logs have taken centre stage and the dancers move to their sides, letting our focus to be drawn to the new actors.

Everyone is working in tandem to redirect our focus to the blossoming cherry tree. Finally… the blossoms are picked up by the concentrated effort of the performers.

Risa starts moving with slow and meticulous gestures, very different from the dancers. She doesn't draw attention to her outfit, neither to her accessories, nor to her flowing movements. She has the sharpness of a warrior on the battlefield, and your eyes are naturally drawn to her, as your primal instincts scream at you to focus only on her.

I feel goosebumps all over my skin when she unsheathes her katana and begins to battle an invisible foe. The music rose in tempo and the dancers became more frantic…

The singers forewarn of new enemies, and the blossoms surge to meet them. I can feel the sharpness of the blade all the way at the spectators stands.

The blossoms are ready to meet the two logs standing tall in a struggle for dominance!

Risa gains radiance, a pressure that envelopes everything and makes the audience gulp loudly before drawing a large breath in anticipation of the coming conflict.

The dancers move behind Risa in a semicircle, the flag bearers cover the backdrop and the instruments ring out their heaviest notes. The final battle is upon us.

There is no need for poetry. Everyone is captured by the sight before them unable to hear the tales of old. The tall logs look sturdy and unmovable before Risa's small frame, but with her Katana in hand, she exudes a much more domineering presence. One with the sword, she launches attacks high and low, moving with lightning fast footwork or becoming anchored to the earth for a wide swipe.

There is a new element to the music, the crisp sound of splitting wood. No metallic sounds are mixed in, just the pure sound of wood freely parting before the blade.

The audience is watching with all their might as the blossoms twist and rise in the eye of the storm. Risa's katana sings like an instrument for the first time and the ever increasing pressure in the atmosphere has reached the boiling point.

"Risa: Single sword style: Thousand Cherry Blossoms."

The storm rages. Literal cherry blossoms rise up from the ground like a tornado, enveloping the centre of the stage. Everyone is too speechless to shout in wonder.

The performance has reached its crescendo. The dancers retake the initiative. The singers lead the falling tension into a smooth transition, and the flag bearers make another push forward covering our view once again.

Once the centre stage is in clear again, the blossoms are already gone with the wind.

.. .

"Announcer: What a stunning display of beauty and strength! I can barely keep my own desire to go out and express myself, in check! Truly, you could feel the youthful vigour coursing through your veins!"

The performance comes to an end with spirited applause for each group of performers taking centre stage. Risa gets the second best reception, behind only the thunderous applause given to the whole team at the end.

"Juliana: Good thing this is a girls only academy. Otherwise, you'd need to go around beating that youthful vigour out of the hormonal teens with a stick."

"A.K: …Hmm… perhaps. The faculty here would be completely… unprepared. `Sigh. I have too much to worry about already, to bring in more… trouble."

.. .

The next performing group is replaced by the martial arts clubs. It is easy to recognise their white and black dōgi as opposed to the flowery attire of the previous groups.

"Announcer: We will keep up the tempo and let our martial arts students demonstrate the tenacity of our beautiful flowers! With their bodies as their weapons, the judo, aikido, karate and jujutsu practitioners stand proudly before you!"

The music turned more rhythmic, akin to a march. You can easily fall pray to the allure of tapping your feet to the tune.

The focus this time is spread out between the ten practicing pairs. Their performances give off a feeling of controlled chaos. Each pair has their own style, form and movements, but everyone is following the music. Falls resonate with loud drumming, rolls flow to the soft whistling of flutes, struggling is intertwined with lutes competing for dominance.

Everyone has the freedom to choose whose demonstration of skill to watch. There is much less colour and elegance, but the participants are brimming with spirit and determination that makes up for any lack of an artistic touch.

'The standards are quite good. It looks rehearsed and exaggerated at some points to make it more of a spectacle, but the solid foundation is easy to see.'

Each pair is letting their individuality shine for a few minutes to make it more interesting for the audience. Some are faster on their feet, making twice the amount of faints and attacks, some coordinate midair maneuvers, and some show surprising reversals of attack and defence. Others focus on keeping their attacks low to the ground where each move can become decisive, victory or loss determined in a split second!

I find this show of skill more enjoyable to watch and start wishing to see a proper match between the pairs.

'I will visit their club stands for sure. The brochure promised several live matches later in the day.'

The performance comes to an end before it gets too repetitive and the momentum is lost. I cheer in good humour, satisfied with the displayed skills.

"Announcer: Now then! It is time to witness our heavy hitters! The ones who can carry the academy on their shoulders! Presenting the fitness club that welcomes the casual and the dedicated member! Give it up for the giants of self-improvement! And the karate club representative! Midorikawa Hana!"

A group of strong looking students dressed in form fitting attire joined the ones on stage. Hana sports only white colours, clearly standing out among the rest.

The new arrivals walk up to one of the logs and start taking off slices from the top. Flat, misshapen boards, more circular than rectangular are distributed among the students. The audience is understandably surprised, having seen the previous sword dance not long ago. Most have probably assumed that Risa had merely left scratch marks on the logs... .

'WOW... She really cut them up while dancing… . '

While the martial arts students are recovering their strength, everyone else has taken position. This appears to be a karate demonstration of board breaking and the first round is rather straight forward. By striking the midpoint Hana breaks the board with one, unhurried swing downwards. The cracking of wood is clear for all to hear and the seeming ease of the feat leaves us wanting more.

The next stage is seeing the boards being held at various heights that require Hana to deliver kicks in addition to punches and karate chops. Regardless, the wood break and the anticipation is building up.

The third stage has the martial arts practitioners climb on top of the fitness club members. They form pyramids for stability. Some choose to stand on the boards being held up and some stand on the shoulders of those below.

The tension is rising. The force behind each of Hana's strikes shakes the ones holding the boards. Each snapping of wood sends shivers up our spines, each swaying motion of the pyramids makes the audience draw in sharp breaths and move closer to the edge of the seats.

Hana leaped off the lower boards to get higher up. The top board didn't survive her flying right hook, the middle ones buckled under straight punches and the lower one splintered under her axe kick.

The formations held, like 100 years old trees they have a firm grasp on the earth. Only the top branches sway with the passing wind. The audience is ready to jump up and shout their cheers, if not for the preparations for the final stage.

The pyramids are dismantled, and like bamboos, they shoot out towards the sky in pairs. Two human towers rise and stop at three levels, one more stopped at four and the last one is made up out of six levels with only a single woman standing proudly on the very top.

The tension is through the roof, some spectators are all tensed up, ready to rush forward if something were to happen. All eyes are glued to the human towers, each person watching in a state of breathless concentration.

Deep and low sounds produced by an odaiko signal the begging of the spectacle. Hana and another girl run towards the centre of the stage where two more students are waiting, crouched in a lifting position. They don't stop running once they are about to collide, instead they make a little jump. The waiting pair catch their falling feet and with a grunt launch them upwards! This boost is only enough to reach the fourth level of the tower, so Hana is once again propelled higher into the air with the help of her airborne partner!

Intoxicated by excitement, a few spectators jump to their feet to get a better look.

Hana reaches the sixth level and strikes the board, held up in place, from below with all of the upward momentum behind her. The girl on top of the tower seemingly received an enormous amount of energy from Hana's strike, enough to somehow manage a backflip and land gracefully back into place.

Outcries rang out and people jumped off their seats, but nothing stopped Hana's descend down. The next board is broken through with another axe kick, but this time she uses the momentary foothold to turn her body.

The last two boards receive karate chops simultaneously and break in half like rice crackers. Hana lands on the hands of the three waiting students and safely disperses the kinetic energy from the fall.

Half of the audience is already standing in an ovation, while the second half is waiting for all the participants to safety come down before joining the fray.

"Juliana: That Tai girl is a show off, doing a damn backflip like it's nothing. It's good to be young and all, but us old ladies are going to be jealous."

"Chiyo: … I've seen your training routine. You can't complain about being out of shape."

"Juliana: That is that and this is this. I'm very much not complaining about my increased flexibility and well being, however we don't know if I'll become a frail old lady after going through all this stress. I need to keep doing a moderate amount of routine training to monitor my condition."

'Doing stretches and half an hour of exercise should be considered daily routine, not your intense workout that puts pro athletes to shame!'

I continue to applaud together with the others and wait for the eventual announcement.

'This should be the last event before a long break. I feel in the mood to go looking for real food this time. Too much excitement made me hungry.'

2