Chapter 46 A chance meeting.
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miku's Instant Crush

POV Haruka

"Student: Nurse Haruka! I've twisted my wrist a bit!"

"Haruka: Sit down, cold compress and a nice, tight bandage. Rest your arm for two days."

..

"Student: Nurse! I need some supplies for light cuts and burns!"

"Haruka: Kitchen mishaps? Fine, fine... antiseptic, cooling spray and bandaids. If it's more serious than a few drops of hot oil or a little cut on a finger, then send them here."

..

"Student: Nurse! Nurse! I've got a splinter stuck in my finger!"

'God, give me the patience for these trying days. This is already the fifth one today!'

"Haruka: Sit and don't shriek when the disinfectant starts stinging."

Looking after the whole academy during a festival is pure torture. I'd do as far as to say that the first two weeks of this semester are nightmare fuel for the unlucky few, myself included.

..

"Teacher: Uuu! Haruka! Help me! Those demons made me into an impromptu volunteer! My back and feet hurt!"

'At least I'm not the only one feeling miserable right now.'

"Haruka: Lie down on the bed. I'll apply some pain relief cream. That should be enough to get you through the day. So? What did they volunteer you for?"

I rummage in the cabinet, looking for the right things to use while listening to other people's misfortune.

"Teacher: It's the fashion club. They dragged me out on a podium and had me wear high heels. I haven't worn anything fancy since... forever! And I had to strike poses! The uncomfortable ones too! I bet that I'll be a laughing stock if someone spreads pictures or videos of my horrible performance... ."

'Hehe~ I'll have to see that for myself later... . Tch, another twisted ankle. `Sigh.'

I use some of my mana and a diluted healing potion to smooth the painful swelling. Completely fixing up the damage would require more mana or a stronger potion, both of which are very limited and the day is looking to be a damn long one for me. I settle for a reasonable compromise.

"Haruka: Twisted ankle. It should be alright now, but don't go running around in high heels today. If you have to, next time insist on keeping your usual footwear, or ask for something you are more comfortable with."

"Teacher: I hoped that it wasn't as bad as it felt. `Sigh. Thanks Haruka, I owe you one."

I finish rubbing in the healing cream and put a compress on her feet. That should prevent any further reckless behaviour and the need for another visit to my office, hopefully.

"Teacher: Mmm... Damn, you really deserve that title. I feel almost completely fine."

I give her a silent look, indicating that she should use her brain more often and not bother me any longer.

"... I know, I know, rest for two days. I'll just stay away from any hands-on clubs. There are a few performances where I can sit down and relax. I don't think that any students will drag me away after seeing the bandages. At least, I hope that they won't."

'... Don't remind me about that pain in the neck idiocy. I regret sharing the special skin cream every time a student comes knocking on my door. Did I care that much about flawless skin when I was their age? It was just a few years ago. How come I feel old all of a sudden?'

"Haruka: Alright, all done. Now, get going. I can already hear a couple of students queuing up behind the door. I really don't want to have a whole lot of them waiting here, especially if someone does something stupid and gets seriously injured. `Sigh. I should have asked for additional assistance for these two days... ."

The day is barely half way through and I need to keep working for another five more hours.

"`Sigh. I need some better snacks to survive this day."

I miss the good stuff I got delivered by the crows, but there is no helping it. Work must be done.

`Knock, knock. 

"Haruka: Come in!"

POV Chiyo

I've been looking around the various attractions during the long break. Somehow... I've got two more stuffed toys added to my collection. Soon, I'll need to share with sis to not get my room fully covered in stuffed animals.

A text from sis told me that she found a few minutes of free time to hang out. I made my way directly towards the snacks booth she told me about with haste. I haven't had the chance to see her today at all.

"Chiyo: Hey, sis. How are you doing out there?"

"Mari: Ah, Chiyo, there you are. `Sigh. It could be worse. Far worse, if I hadn't called in more help from father's employ. Do you want to eat anything?"

I have already eaten during my long trek, so I settle for an ice cold smoothie. The fresh summer berries are quite nice and sweet. The ice should keep the drink cold for a good five minutes before the summer heat ruins it. I decide to ask the question on my mind while taking slow sips.

"Chiyo: Sis? You sure that you won't be performing on the big stage? Not even for a little bit?"

"Mari: ... Honestly, I had planned to. That is, until the work started accumulating and we needed to organise this whole mess of bustling activity, then the expansion of the venues, managing the staff I requested for help and a dozen other things. There was simply not enough time to let everyone integrate and practice with all the clubs. I will be performing at the archery range tomorrow, but it will be not any different from my usual training. A little 5 minutes show, actually."

"Chiyo: Too many visitors came?"

"Mari: Too many visitors."

'A shame. I would have loved to see a performance with sis as the lead actor.'

We sat for no more than a couple of minutes before she received a call and had to attend to some problems somewhere. I doubt that she will have much free time today, as most members of the student council are performing on the big stage in rotation and she is left in charge of supervising almost everything herself.

'Now what? Hmm, another 15 minutes before I need to start heading back. I could walk around some more... .'

I decide to finish my drink and slowly walk back while looking around. There really isn't enough time to go exploring anywhere else, so I take a moment to admire my new stuffed toys while finishing the last sips.

"Excuse me, hello. Mind if I ask you a quick question?"

I turn to the person calling out to me. She looks like a fellow highschool student. Only, her clothes look to be hanging a bit loose on her lithe physique. She also gives off a healthy and athletic vibe despite her paler skin tone. For some reason I get the slight impression of a delinquent from looking at her.

"Chiyo: Yes? Sure, I don't mind."

"Anzu: I'm Yokoyama Anzu. I'm planning to attend this academy next year, today I'm looking around to get a feel of the atmosphere. I've seen you chatting with a student here, mind sharing any interesting info if it's not too much trouble?"

'She is too normal to be a delinquent, shouldn't trust my first glance too much. Hmm...Yokoyama? I'm fairly certain that there is a Yokoyama Mitsuko on the ASC. Ok, I did get to talk to sis a lot during last month and sharing a few points isn't all that much trouble.'

"Chiyo: I'm Kurihara Chiyo, nice to meet you. I've got some 10 minutes to spare. A quick question though, would you happen to have a relative attending the academy?"

Upon hearing my family name, she seems to recognise it and nodded in understanding to my question.

"Anzu: Heh, what a coincidence. Just call me Anzu and yes, I see where you are coming from. My cousin, Mitsuko is the one you are thinking about, and I'm guessing that the USC council president is your relative."

'Yup, called it. I haven't actually seen her cousin in person, but I've heard about her causing... accidents from sis.'

"Chiyo: Please call me Chiyo, and you are completely on point about my older sister. So, anything in particular you'd like to ask about?"

"Anzu: Well... You probably already know about my clumsy cousin. I try to help her when I can, but since she enrolled we haven't seen each other all that much. I was just going to ask if there are any unsavoury rumours flying around. She likes to keep things to herself, despite her shenanigans."

'Yeah, sis does that too. Keeping everything a secret and making me worry.'

I can sympathize with Anzu. Only Mari is very competent and overly protective of me. I take a moment to comb through my memory, trying to recall anything that sounded like trouble. If I ignore the secret things going on... nothing really comes to mind.

"Chiyo: I have a similar situation with Mari keeping things secret from me. Hmm...well... Nothing concerning your cousin comes to mind."

I lower my voice for the next part.

"I've heard that an underclassman has been persistently going after a senior, but I doubt it's related. What else? There is the normal club rivalry, however, considering her position most clubs would want to be on her good side. Maybe some can be too imposing? Trying to get her on their side for bigger benefits? There really isn't much more I've been told about."

"Anzu: Heh~ I'll probably laugh my ass off the day she goes after someone with those intentions. She is a good girl and all that, but her romance is stuck in the books for now. Haaa... I doubt she has the authority to do anything drastic for any club on her own, so it's probably just the normal stuff going on. Thanks anyway."

Anzu leaned forward, sharing her own thoughts with me.

"Maybe it's peer pressure? Mitsuko has her less than great reputation and I've heard the rumours about the other council members. That Bettou Risa is damn terrifying if you take away the fine clothes and makeup. She cut those logs like paper! I've heard that even the teachers carry spare underwear with them in case they encounter her out of sight of others."

'`Sigh. The rumour mill is not slowing down anytime soon. How did it become so exaggerated? Who would actually spread these unreasonable stories around?'

I try to share with Anzu as much reliable information as I can, dismissing the completely absurd stories and getting to the bottom of the slightly unbelievable ones. Enough time has passed chatting and I need to get going to make it back before the long break ends.

"Chiyo: Sorry Anzu, I've got to get back to the main venue. Are you doing to watch the rest of the show or do you have plans for something else?"

"Anzu: Yeah, it's about time to get moving. I believe that the ASC president is participating in the next event, so I want to take a look at her. Mitsuko didn't talk about making any new friends even in the ASC. I'll try to glimpse her character and maybe talk to her later."

'Kate...is a...complex person from what I've been told.'

I am indeed unfair in my judgement, but there is nothing that I can do about it. Considering her history with Meiko, I have a bad impression of her. My main strategy was to ignore her, however she is deeply involved with the secrets and I haven't decided how to deal with her for myself.

"Chiyo: Let's go together!"

I keep quiet about Kate. It would be better to let Anzu make her own first impressions without hearing of my biased negative opinion. We make our way towards the venue, slowing down as we got closer.

'There are even more people coming to watch the show than in the morning.'

The spectators have grown in numbers, taking all the seats, standing and even sitting down on their own blankets. The academy isn't an actual venue for a concert, so the stage and seating arrangements are limited. There are no larger screens broadcasting the events on stage, only family members making recordings to share at home. Everyone who wants to see the performance has to come here.

"Chiyo: Um, Anzu? I don't think there are any available seats for late arrivals. Do you have someone keeping you a seat?"

I should have expected this. The people who watched the first half of the performance surely have talked about it and attracted more people to come. I'll need to carefully make my way through the crowd without stepping on anyone.

"Anzu: Damn. I didn't expect this to happen. Haaa... No, I didn't join a group today to have an easier time asking questions around the campus. I don't have a blanket either... ."

"Chiyo: Ok. Let's go ahead, we can squeeze you in between us."

'It will be fine, we can make room for one person. I'll have one of the girls sit on my lap.'

I nod to her "are you serious?" look and we make our way to the front. Dad and everyone else have already taken their seats. I'm the last to arrive.

"Chiyo: This is my Father, Miss Juliana, her little Aki and Suzu. This is Yokoyama Anzu. If it's ok, can she join us?"

Miss Juliana gives Anzu a serious stare upon hearing her family name, probably caused by remembering Mitsuko's tendency to cause mishaps.

"She doesn't have the same problem as her cousin."

I clarify this, seeing as Anzu has stiffened up under her serious gaze. Finally, Miss Juliana gives a smile, and we shuffle a little bit, emptying one of the seats. Suzu went to her mother's lap, despite my offer to have one of them sit with on my lap. Anzu and I were given the corner seats to ourselves.

Once we have settled down, Anzu finally calmed down enough to whisper close to my ear.

"Anzu: Looks like everyone is already cautious of any Yokoyama's. I get the feeling that I'll be under scrutiny when I enroll. Miss Juliana gave me the look a lioness protecting her cubs would. It gave me the chills."

"Chiyo: She's had first hand experience meeting with your cousin. She is also very protective of her daughters. Please don't take it personally."

"Anzu: It's fine, I'm used to having a bad reputation, nothing new. Anmitsu will get a talking to, regardless."

A moment later the announcer calls everyone to quiet down and the next performance begins.

"Announcer: Welcome back dear guests! Get ready to warmly welcome our next students! Performing a parasol dance is the light gymnastics club! Each parasol was hand crafted and decorated by our enthusiastic handicrafts club! Taking the lead role, Takenomiya Keito!"

'They went with something more energetic, it looks very nice. Haaa... I wish that sis was dressed this cutely and dancing on stage.'

"As a special addition, we will be inviting a volunteer onto the stage!"

'?? They what?'

I can see that Kate is looking over the audience, searching for a suitable candidate. When she passes her gaze over me, I sink into my seat. I doubt that there are many willing people present. Going up on the stage without any experience, in front of so many parents is a death sentence!

'No, no, no. Not me, I don't know this dance. NO! Don't look here!'

She is looking here. Gods! I make subtle gestures for her to pick someone else, but she stares in our direction. My mind is conjuring up scenarios of what might have caused this situation.

'Did sis ask her to embarrass me? Is she doing this on purpose? The crowd is too big for me! NOooooo!'

Ah... Kate pointed in my direction and a group of students are coming this way. Left with no way to run, I turn into a stone statue and await my execution. Four students dressed in black appear before me, ready to drag me away.

"Anzu: Eh? Me? What? NOO!!! PLEASE! Spare me! I have a social life!"

I've closed my eyes as their hands were reaching out to grab me, but opened them in an instant when Anzu began to make noise. I seem to have been spared, and Anzu was taken in my place. I offer her a prayer.

"Chiyo: I thank you for your sacrifice, Anzu."

She is taken backstage, presumably to change into more fitting clothes. The stage slowly is filling up with more students, each wearing a matching getup. White top and silvery bottom, nothing too eye-catching. The parasols stand out even more noticeably with this arrangement. Each one is a shade of yellow, orange, red or brown. I can make out leaves painted on them and even berries or something.

Blackmore's Night - Dancer and the Moon

We have a minute to admire them before the music gently beacons to us. The string instruments pick up slowly, gathering one member at a time to become a dozen strong. Flutes join the fray from both sides, a couple of drums beat a soft repetitive rhythm. I can't see it, but someone is shaking maracas. The tune is definitely not a traditional piece. I would expect to hear something like this in a night club.

'They are taking a risk, the Headmistress doesn't look like someone who would enjoy modern dance music.'

The students have decided themselves into an 8 by 3 formation and are moving freely to the music. Their gestures are filled with energy, each turn and swirl has them almost flying in the air. With the parasols fully unfolded and utilised, I feel the pictures of leaves dancing in the wind forming in my mind's eye. This combination of athletic and dancing performance is quite the sight to behold.

'There comes Anzu!'

The leaves part in two and Anzu is revealed in a new flowing dress of white and silver. Kate takes the initiative to lead Anzu to the forefront, allowing the formation to close up behind them.

Anzu has been given a quick touch-up and sports accessories glistering in the sunlight. She definitely looks uneasy being in front of so many people watching her, expecting a good show. Hand in hand they move forward and Kate is leading her into a dance.

Slow at first, her movements grow into flowing responses. Kate moves for the both of them, setting the momentum and allowing Anzu to go with the flow. The dance becomes less forced. Subtle gestures from Kate get answered with more and more confident moves by Anzu. There is less hand-holding, but the flow is set and the dance continues.

The leaves surge, gather and disperse. The colours change in waves, sometimes becoming clearly separated and sometimes mixing together. It's like seeing two children playing in a pile of autumn leaves. The atmosphere transports us to the old carefree days of our youth, however fleeting that moment is.

The performance ended too soon for my tastes and the applause was too loud. The increase in spectators really is noticeable from all the cheering. We get Anzu back after a short break. Unfortunately, she has already changed back into her loose uniform.

'On the bright side of things, she did get to know Kate and even performed with her. It's a win-win, definitely.'

Spoiler

Why am I writing this story? Why did I even start writing out of nowhere? I mean, I'm not an artistic person and my writing sucks balls... .

Honestly, I don't have a compelling reason. I was bored, finished reading some fanfic, googled for more interesting distractions, found nothing... .

So here I am, writing my very first...anything really, if you exclude the school and uni stuff.

So. Who are you and why are you reading this poorly written story?

[collapse]

2