Chapter 47 Choosing a battlemaid.
86 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Perish Song" ♪ Original Pokémon Song - Trickywi & YZYX

POV Takenomiya's household maid.

I've been summoned by the young Miss to a little private study in the corner of the uselessly large house.

There are few possibilities as to why I'm being asked to meet with her there. The most likely one is that I'm called for a one on one interview. There are rumours flying around that a high-ranking position has opened up and all the tests we were given are to thin down the candidates.

The benefit of working from early years for this particular family is that one is very likely to be chosen and trained for managerial positions in their company. A shortcut of sorts, for those disillusioned to the value of the normal higher education and the ungodly competition for any meaningful positions.

'Fools, all of them. Why strive for a position where you will be buried in work every hour of the day for the next 30 years? What is the point? The effort to benefit ratio is skewed to the wrong side. Fools. This is already a highly profitable position with average hours and good working conditions. Here, even mediocre effort is praised, and you can work stress-free.'

I'm thinking of ways to decline being sent away while walking towards the study. My best option is to take a stronger stance on supporting their family from up close. Playing the devoted loyalty card will stroke their egos and solidify my position even further. Plus, it is in line with my usual behaviour and goals, so I'm being almost completely honest. Perhaps I'll clinch a promotion inside the household and increase my paycheck.

`Knock, knock.

"Kate: Enter... Eri, good you are on time, have a seat."

The door was left slightly ajar for my arrival, but I asked for permission to enter as a proper maid should. I didn't clean this room more than a couple of times, but I remember someone saying that it is mostly soundproof. Useful for listening to music on full volume or working in seclusion.

I look around the small room while keeping my head straight. The young Miss is sitting behind the table, looking through some documents that I recognise as the test sheets that I've filled up over the weeks.

'I'm not losing my hard earned, easy position.'

It would have been easier to have a good excuse like sick parents, or something of the likes that prevents me from leaving, but alas. I can only do my best to hang on to their desire for keeping trusted aids close by.

"Kate: Have you gathered your resolve? Good. I'll be asking a few more questions and we will see where that takes us."

'Was this pause deliberate? Well played.'

"Eri: Thank you young Miss, please ask me anything."

"Kate: You aren't the ambitious sort like the rest, or should I say that your ambitions lie elsewhere? Do you wish to stay in our household permanently?"

'This feels like a trick question. Do I sing praises to their family right now or is this a trap?'

"Eri: I believe that I know myself quite well. I can best apply my strengths while working here. Though I have no experience with the positions that others covet, I will likely fall short after some time."

"Kate: I see. ... You could just become a figurehead. Train a small team to do all your work and enjoy the benefits."

'I don't trust people THAT much. Anyone with half a brain would plot to kick me into the dirt and take that stupid position for themselves.'

"Eri: I'm the earnest worker type, even with subordinates I would still try to do everything myself and run myself ragged."

"Kate: Understandable. I trust a very limited number of people myself and in the business world you can trust no-one. ... Your hobby, going to the shooting range. It may sound outdated, but most girls prefer bow and arrow. Guns are more of a niche hobby in Japan."

'...I've kept that particular hobby a secret from everyone. Tch, they must have gotten the information from the shooting range. Tch. Ruthlessly throwing around money.'

"Eri: Usually, I have good hand to eye coordination. It just so happens that adding a bow breaks my balance and the arrows fly everywhere but towards the target. I've found better success with firearms."

We go over more of my personal life making me sweat internally. This feels like a major move and perhaps I'll have to accept the position to save face. I could always work my best for a year and then plead to come back.

"Kate: I'll be honest here, I currently lack truly trusted people and you are the best of the suitable lot. A choice. Become my personal confidant or keep your current post for as long as it lasts."

'A confidant... personal maid... a once in a lifetime opportunity to get under their umbrella. Or... my usual post for as long as it lasts. Another 3-10 years at best and I'll be slowly given more responsibility anyway. Much shorter if I refuse too eagerly and get on her bad side. What are the benefits of accepting?'

Seemingly hearing my question the young Miss slides over a contract and a stack of NDA's. Just reading the damn contract requires a signature! I need an hour to properly digest all the details and to come to a conclusion.

'Fuck! I could retire in three years and have enough dividends to live in a five-star hotel for the rest of my life. Or save up for a year and hire my own maids for my new house.'

I don't understand what my new work would look like. It's written that I'll be serving directly under the young Miss. Cooking, cleaning, taking walks, serving tea, etc. Something a maid would do and not something that requires all this paperwork. The unusual points are the bodyguard duty, mandatory training and complete secrecy. It is still something that I can consider normal. However, the young Miss just started attending the academy and doesn't return home very often.

'Isn't this just burning money like paper? There are no penalties for ending the contract at any point of time. I could retire by the time she graduates to a life of unlimited free time to pursue anything that I want. And why is the risk to one's emotional and physical health is repeatedly stated as high?'

"Kate: I've given you enough time, if your commitment is so lackluster then the offer was made in vain."

'Damn it! This could be my chance! Just a year nets me enough funds to live modesty, another two and I'll be living in the lap of luxury! Isn't this what I've been dreaming to achieve? An easy, carefree life? The perfect effort to benefit ratio?'

I bite the bullet. I want to have control over my life without worrying about money or other people. I want to relax and enjoy my hobbies freely as soon as possible.

"Eri: I will serve you Mistress. This chance looks odd, but I'll do my best."

I receive a small smile for my honesty, and she calls for the head butler to come here.

"Kate: It does look odd, I agree with you. It looks odd because many things can't be written down and even more things must not be written down. Don't be naive and believe that there are no risks involved. Benefits come at a price. Loyalty will be rewarded, but the opposite is also true."

I spy the old fossil enter without making a sound from the corner of my eye.

"Pick a number between 1 and 9."

'A number? Where did that come from?'

"Eri: Five?"

The old idiot, that should be living his life for himself a long time ago, placed a tray on the table in front of me. There is also a black bag with something big in it by his feet. I am motioned to lift the lid.

'Oh... fish sticks. Am I expected to be a full-time secret bodyguard? Has someone spooked the family so much as to resort to this?'

There are a Glock, silencer and a box of live ammo. If they want to turn me into an undercover bodyguard, that would somewhat explain the high salary and the risks. I'm doubtful that someone will try a full on armed assault out in the open. The potential danger should be realistically quite low.

"Kate: Check it and load a full clip."

I do as I'm told while deep in thought.

'Well... If it's only for the time period of her attending the academy, I can deal with that. Some hormonal teens would be probably the worst of it. Does my salary include hush money or will there be a separate payment? Maybe I'll take some self-defense courses to better be prepared for this assignment.'

I'm familiar with this type of small firearms, so taking it apart isn't much trouble. I don't do a full disassembly, only taking the big parts off to check its condition. Nothing is out of the ordinary, an almost brand-new firearm and standard bullets. I haven't used a silencer more than once and I haven't taken one apart at all. I can only check that it's visibly in a good condition and attaches without any problems.

While I'm doing this, the head butler has taken out a bulletproof vest from the bag and put it over a chair's backrest.

"Kate: You've picked the number five. Shoot that vest five times."

'This is pointless. What is she playing at? They have already checked that I know how to handle guns. These theatrics are only good for low-budget series that nobody watches.'

I want to tell the young Mistress that she should watch less television or she will become as stupid as the characters on screen. Hopefully, the old fossil will give her a talking to, and I'll have an easier time. Without rolling my eyes, I walk up to the vest and touch it.

'Thick and sturdy, these little bullets won't be nearly enough to penetrate it.'

`pop×5

"Eri: Would that be all Mistress?"

The smug little Mistress of mine shakes her head in a negative response. Then, lifting her hand, she points a finger gun to my left and tells me to do one more thing.

"Kate: You still have bullets left, point the gun at the head butler's face and pull the trigger."

'WTF? She can't be this stupid.'

"A body bag was already brought over, no need to worry about that."

'Ah. I see how it is. The child wants to put on a play. Some remote-controlled safety mechanism? Is it in the bullets? A fucking fake test of loyalty. She should really stop watching those trashy dramas or whatever. The old fart doesn't even play along! He's just standing there like nothing is wrong!'

I fight the desire to loudly snort at this childish farce. This shit works only on TV and in books, or with good acting to really sell it! Newer the less, I act out my role of fighting inner turmoil before deciding to be loyal to a fault.

'The hush money better be good. Maybe I'll have enough savings to buy a small restaurant on top of everything else? Being strictly an owner isn't too bad, showing up once a week to give praise and having professional chefs on my beck and call could be nice. Yeah, I'll need to do some math and plan out my early retirement.'

I've learned long ago how to keep a poker face and how to play my cards right. A little tremble here, an uneasy glance there. If I could, I would add a few sweat drop, but that specific move isn't easy to master... I pull the trigger...

`Pop...

'... Oh... fuck me... in the asshole... SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!'

I've reached the peak mastery of sweating buckets, in a second. Right after I saw the bullet fly and ruffle a couple of hairs on his head. I've trembled coincidentally just right to miss his head by a fucking millimetre!

'FUCK! Where the hell is the fucking safety! The fake bullets! The miraculous jamming of the gun! Anything! This MUST be a fucking fake test!'

The steely-eyed old man doesn't look fazed at all, as if I didn't just almost shoot him in the head. I stayed rooted in place and started trembling for real this time.

"Kate: Take a step closer if you need. Hmm... I'll be adding improving your aim to the training schedule. Can't have you messing up in the field."

'SHIT! Did I not notice fucking assassins working here?! FUCK! Will I be disposed of if I chicken out now?! Think! Damnit, think!'

Those eyes staring at me with resolve are transmitting only one message: it's either you or me. I glance at the body bag and shudder imagining myself in it.

'Is she armed? If I suddenly turn around, will I be greeted by a bullet myself? Can I run? I...I can't live in fear for the rest of my life. I can't.'

I should have said no when I had the chance. I should have been satisfied with working 30 more years and living the second half of my life on easy mode. I chose this, unknowingly I've made the call to be in this situation. A decision must be made before it is made for me. To protect myself, I empty my mind, adjust both hands and pull the trigger.

`Click.

'...Misfire.' "...He, ha ha ha ha!"

'Fuck you ALL!! I knew it! You damn sadistic bitch! I knew it!'

I leak a weak laugh once the fucking trick finally comes into play. A silent nod from the old fart releases some of my tension, and I can turn around without fearing for my life.

"Kate: I'm not a nice person. I value myself above all. If you are to serve me, you need to do the same, and knowing that you will have no life if I'm not obeyed hopefully clears things up. Loyalty will be rewarded. Rest assured that killing humans will not be in your duties, unless some maniac shows up waving a gun at me. Though, I would be the first one to beat him to death myself. Take the day off, tomorrow your next three months of training will be discussed... In case you were wondering, the hush money is double of what's written in your contract."

I've regained my composure after silently cursing for a minute straight and upon hearing this news I feel my damn greed rearing its head again.

'Twice the amount on top of the official contract. Working for a year would be enough to retire. Is it worth going through this shit?'

The answer is obviously yes, as long as I don't have to actually kill people and just be a hidden bodyguard in addition to being a maid. The offer is too tempting to resist, even after this fucking farce.

"Eri: Thank you Mistress. I will take a day off to settle things at home."

I'm dismissed from the room and allowed to do as I please. A small shower break is required to wash off my cold sweat and I take the initiative to inform the head maid that I'll be taking up the offer for a new position. Everyone already had their own suspicions, so I didn't need to go into detail, not like I could in the first place.

I spend the rest of the day thinking if I should make a different choice, but the promise of extraordinary compensation is like a chain, keeping me fixed in place. There is also the fact that I'll be ruining my future prospects if I go against them. People with lots money are terrifying.

'It's not like she will be shipped off to a warzone. What's the worst, that I would have to face? Hitmen, probably. Accidents? Her temper? Sexual harassment from a girl in her teens? I'll have an excuse to shoot anyone else trying to act funny and have her family take care of it.'

I can't find a reason to change my mind and finally decide to fully accept my decision to serve the young Mistress, until I have enough capital to live in luxury for the rest of my life.

"Ok. Put up with the brat for two years and receive the silver ticket. Let the idiots work their arses off for most of their lives. I'll be sipping juice, reading novels and served by cute bunny maids. Should I buy a cosplay cafe? Rotate the costumes every week for novelty and make a private room for myself? Mmm, I'll have them trained in giving personal service and go there every other day."

I will squeeze everything that I can out of this situation. Money, stock shares, influence, everything of value. My benefits WILL be through the roof if I have to put in actual effort.

demonic little grey cat theme song by vivivivivi

POV Kurihara special research group, Dr. Hideko.

"Psychiatrist: How is your day going Dr. Hideko?"

"Dr. Hideko: The usual: running tests, pushing forward the frontier, keeping death incarnate in a sealed container."

The lazy slob gives me a look, asking if I'll be starting up this topic again.

"That's what it is! Pure death to anything not silicon based! It's a damn terraforming agent, if we were made out of rocks and hated everything living!"

"Psychiatrist: ...Yes, unfortunately I've made the mistake of following you to watch an experiment. How about the less deadly items? Hmm, the coconut palms?"

'Spoilsport. I could take a calculator and give you a number on how much of that agent is necessary to end all surface life, but no let's talk about coconuts.'

"Dr. Hideko: Like all of the previous plants, they display rapid growth in nutrients rich soil without any cellular degradation. Just looking at the collected data strongly suggests that we could use them to substitute our own natural resources. I'm not an environmentalist, but even I know how much strain our growing population is causing on a global scale. Having natural resources that replenish at 10-20 times faster than the normal speed would be something desirable for the whole world."

"Psychiatrist: Except for the companies taking a loss. Making things cheaper and readily available isn't always profitable for all parties involved. It may be for the greater good, but the people who have a chokehold on those supplies with fight this improvement to the bitter end."

"Dr. Hideko: Progress doesn't wait for those clinging to former glory. The world will change with them or without. It will be a bloodbath, sure. Heh, when was progress not followed by massive unrest? This will be similar to the industrial revolution, if we can get our hands on more diverse samples."

After that nightmare fuel was delivered, we haven't been getting anything new and the old samples have almost stopped coming all together. I worry that the field team was wiped out, and we will be stuck with a limited sample size.

"Psychiatrist: Would you like to head to the field yourself Dr.?"

'Of course not! There is no surviving against that type of bio weapons, and I'm not fit enough to be running for my life.'

"Dr. Hideko: I'm best suited to lab work and I haven't exercised in years! We have sufficient samples for the time being."

None of us would be willing to go anywhere close to the frontier, not after seeing what happens to living organisms that come into contact with that damn thing. Hearing the larger animals scream as their flesh is slowly turned to stone-like material has made a few of us lose appetite and their breakfast.

2