Chapter 55 Money slap.
102 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Weathers - C'est La Vie

POV Anna

The atmosphere during today's meeting is a bit awkward for some of us. Having reflected on our past actions, it came into light that we may have overstepped at some points. Despite the intentions behind our actions, lines were crossed and mistakes were made.

Today, our usual members are joined by Valentine, who is bringing a new proposal to the table.

"Valentine: I propose that we move down to the next floor in a relatively safe fashion... by cheating and then throwing money at the problem until it gets resolved."

I'm shocked to hear those words in more than one way, but the conversation is pushed forth without giving me a chance to get a word in.

"Kate: Details, and how much will it cost?"

"Valentine: Here's what I'm thinking. First, we'll need to completely clear out the main island of all the monsters to secure a retreat, in case shit hits the fan, then we pull the dungeon's agro. Just like when Juliana and I did it on the floor above, but this time intentionally. What I'm counting on is that if we harass the aquatic monsters from the beach, then it should have the same result as last time: giving the dungeon indigestion and sending this floor's monsters into a frenzy. We keep at it for long enough and the boss monsters will eventually decide to show up too. Right into our clear line of fire."

'This is actually something that we gave out warnings about. Killing monsters from a "safe spot" would result in sending out a signal to all the nearby monsters to converge on that position and remove the assailant. Hmm...but what if they can't freely move from island to island, and the aquatic monsters simply get beached on the shore?'

"Kate: ... Under the assumption that the boss monsters are indeed those two poisonous things and that they are guarding the entrance to the lower floor underwater. We could pinpoint its approximate location by using enough airborne surveillance. Also, if it does actually work out, then we would have effectively emptied the water of danger. There was a saying for this, shooting fish in a barrel?"

This method wasn't tested due to the possible danger that it poses. We don't have enough of an understanding about how the dungeon works and if it has some special measures for dealing with situations like this.

"Valentine: I'd rather not assume things to be too optimistic, and I sure as hell won't suggest that we dive to the bottom. No, if we know the approximate location, then we can send down remote-controlled submarines while the monster concentration is low. In all likelihood it will cost us a few submarines being eaten by the dungeon. Depending on how lucky we are in finding the exact location of the entrance, the gear lost would amount to a small fortune. ...There is another cheat that I want to try out once we find the entrance. We duck tape a tablet to one of the submarines and send it through the passage to the next floor. I have a feeling that only the system needs to recognise the coordinates in order to allow us to buy the next portal. It shouldn't actually need a person present there. If everything goes according to plan, then we bypass the danger of diving hundreds of meters deep and becoming prey to giant fish monsters. It will also show us if the dungeon is flooded all the way to the next floor and beyond, making plans for further exploration mute. ...At least for us weaklings."

'That... actually doesn't sound like a bad idea, and we can accurately measure most of the danger involved. It would also give us the push to decide on future actions.'

With the recent system upgrade, new options became available to choose from. Instead of a single option to open a random gate address for 10k mana, now we can choose to pay an order of magnitude higher for access to specific destinations.

"Anna: This would need preparations and testing done, only after that the final decision can be made. However, as experience has shown us, shit can hit the fan without any warning. ...I'm in favour of giving it a go."

'Considering the fast approaching graduation, there's a need for more resources to be gathered. Us third years don't have the leisure to take it easy, and I need more opportunities at the ready for those who want to join our venture.'

Everyone agreed to test the waters and gather more information before we commit to anything more serious. Precautions and fail-safes will need to be implemented to the best of our abilities.

'This will be a long weekend or two.'

..... .... ... .. .

During the next few weeks we had procured more supplies, tested the proposed tactic on the floor above, trained our coordination and did our best to develop ranged attacks capable of taking out tougher monsters that have mana shields. Nothing catastrophic had gone wrong during our trial, so we voted in favour of finally making it to the next floor.

Right after the exam week had ended, we went ahead with the operation and started sweeping clean the main island.

Even with our improvements since the last mayor expedition, it is still difficult to completely root out all the monsters laying in wait. They practically blend into the environment up to the last second before launching an attack, making a thorough sweep too time-consuming.

I report our status after finishing another loop around the island.

"Anna: I'd estimate that around 80% of the monsters were taken care of. The rest will start jumping out of their hidey holes once we start the operation."

"Tai: A few more hours and I could find most of them. It would be a waste of time, though. Far easier to deal with them when they are charging you like a herd of cattle."

The construction team reported their progress right after us.

"Meiko: We have finished clearing out a portion of the vegetation at the back and setting up the encampment. When they charge us, it will be over open ground where we can dispatch them easily."

"Valentine: The surveillance network is also in place. We won't be taken by surprise this time. There were reports of a few suitable targets to be pulled out of the water."

'Everything is ready to go.'

"Kate: Well then. Let's get this boring hunt over with, I have an appointment to get my nails done later today. Report to your stations and begin the operation."

We act quickly, not waiting until the dungeon undoes all of our work and position ourselves to pick off any monsters coming out of the jungle. Everyone confirmed their readiness on the radio, and the signal to start was given.

"Valentine: Starting harassing fire on the big-ass fishes."

`Ta-ta-ta ta-ta-ta!

I've grown accustomed to gunfire, now I can tell what caliber is being used just by the sound. This 5.56 semi-automatic fire is most likely inflicting flesh wounds without penetrating much deeper. Perfect for annoying the things into a massive frenzy.

I sharpen my senses and ready my spear. There is movement deeper into the island, moving towards our location. The confirmation comes a second later.

"Tai: I've counted around forty monsters. Give it 10 seconds and the first one should become visible. I'll start working from the back in 30."

Tai has hidden a good 100 m away from our encampment to take on the monsters from the back while they engage us. Effectively boxing them in to be taken out in a mere moment.

"Valentine: Switching to heavy machine gun fire, there must be hundreds of them in the water."

"Kate: Observers, don't get distracted and keep watch on the sky until we kill the bosses."

'The second phase has started, time to finish this up.'

Dealing with the monster rushing us from the jungle is done in under a minute, and everyone except for Tai has retreated to the encampment. She will be keeping an eye on our backs and raise the alarm if anything goes wrong.

I walk up to the platform of stacked logs, getting an eyeful of hundreds, shark-sized monsters blanketing the shallow water. Raging in a crazed manner as they flop on the sand. Those things would have torn us apart if we had to fight fairly, but after losing mobility they are target practice for us.

Spoiler

Dunkleosteus by Tudor Morris

Dunkleosteus by Tudor Morris

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Wr6Ov

[collapse]

"Kate: Those big ones are tough enough to take large caliber bullets head on. Anna, help taking them out from a distance. It appears that if a large number of the eels gather, they start shooting out electric bolts."

'Interesting, they couldn't do that when we hunted them individually.'

I send mana strikes out of my spear. Piercing the giant fish monsters, that act as shields for the electric eels, with every attack. Just as their appearance would suggest, they don't go down even after two direct hits.

'Damn, this is really draining on my mana. Mmm 52% left.'

"Anna: I'm half empty. Moving back."

I've barely taken down ten monsters and assisted to take down twenty more, but my low-mana efficiency attacks force me to step back.

The gunfire is ceaselessly pounding the weaker monsters into submission, and we continue to selectively clear out the big ones that get in the way.

"Caw caw CAW CAW"

"Valentine: ATTENTION! Bosses spotted coming for the fifth island's direction! Fifth island! Eyes open ladies!"

I turn to look up in that direction, but can't spot anything in the sky.

"Juliana: Hehe~ I've got them in my sights, 2.7 km, elevation around 500 m, ETA...2 minutes."

"Kate: Good. Coordinate with Mari and drop those things dead before they spray any poison on us. Cease fire! Time to clean up! Close in and eliminate everything that moves! We've got one minute, people!"

'Finally, I was getting nervous.'

We charge in and unleash our most mana intense attacks up close and personal, killing the monsters in seconds. Those of us who couldn't attack from afar empty half of their mana reserves to take down tens on monsters with each overcharged skill use.

While the monsters are effectively immobile, it is a matter of fact that we dispatch them all without difficulty.

Meiko has foregone any subtlety in favour of becoming a veritable hurricane of carnage. With a two meter long halberd in hand, her charge is akin to a spinning sawblade tearing through cardboard. We've let her lead the charge because of safety concerns.

Right behind her are Hana and Risa, both handling two weapons each. Hana is launching wind blades, sweeping over a part of the battlefield like a howling gale. If not for the wall of monsters soaking up the damage, I'd be worried about friendly fire.

Risa is displaying more restraint, keeping her attacks contained within a small area around her. Unfortunately for the monsters in that area, they get pierced and chopped to pieces by dozens of manifested mana blades.

Usually Yumi would have been causing just as much widespread devastation, but the combination of loose sand and water is one of the worst environments for her skillset. She has to resort to bludgeoning individual monsters to death with her war hammer.

Kate makes a sweep behind them, finishing off any half dead monsters with precise thrusts thought their heads. Nothing is left to muster any opposition.

Valentine, being a penny pincher, is dropping mana batteries between the bigger piles to gather some mana. If we did collect everything, it would have amounted to over two thousand Mp, though this isn't our priority right now. I stay close to him in case of an emergency, ready to haul his ass out of here at the first sign of danger.

"Mari: 5..4..3..2..`TWACK!..Fire!...`TWACK!" `POP! POP! POP!

Bow and anti-material sniper rifle coordinate their fire to take down the flying menaces, signaling for us to turn back to the shore. No reason to risk the poison getting to us through the water. Especially when the water is completely saturated with blood and we wouldn't be able to tell if something was wrong.

Even while plunging down into the water, the bosses get hit a few more times for good measure and we relax a little bit after seeing them floating lifelessly.

The final stage of this operation is begging.

"Kate: Good work. Now, Mari, Juliana, finish off any stragglers you notice. Everyone else, take a short break while the monsters turn into mana or loot."

Shawn James – The Curse of The Fold

Slowly, the first to be dispatched monsters start turning into light particles and the dirty water returns back to its pristine condition. I admire this beautiful and terrifying sight in silence. Death and rebirth, destruction and renewal, the temptation of power and the cost it would eventually all come down to. One slip-up and we could be gone just as easily as them, giving back to the dungeon everything that we took.

"Valentine: Heh, I didn't get my ass handed to me this time. Hm~ progress. Anyway, time to pack up and let the dungeon calm down. `Sigh. Then we feed it at least a million yen, or was it over two million?"

"Anna: Mm. It's an investment into our safety. I'd rather not have to encounter those fishes underwater. Ok, let me handle collecting the mana batteries."

The slowly returning helpers grab the floating loot and line up for a headcount. We've mobilised over a hundred of them to keep watch on a large portion of the floor and now we need to make sure that none are left behind.

'I shouldn't have dismissed the ability to talk to animals as much as I did at first. We should find a good opportunity to inquire if it's something that can be taught to others.'

"Kate: Alright people...and birds too. Give me a status update on our readiness to retreat."

"Juliana: Weapons ready to go."

"Anna: Supplies ready to go."

"Mari: No injuries sustained, we are ready to go."

"Valentine: Three of the farthest squads are still inbound. Eight are fully accounted for."

"Kate: Copy that. Bring everything together and be ready to move ASAP."

There are more monsters beached on the other sides of the island, but we are running low on mana and time. For us to safely go out to sea and look for the entrance to the next floor, the dungeon needs to return to a passive state. We'll have only a small window of opportunity of an hour and a bit, then the monsters will respawn and break everything that we attempt sending down to the seabed. They have an uncanny ability to sense vibrations in the water, putting a stop to our previous attempts at unmanned explorations.

.. .

Almost a whole day later, we return back to the dungeon and find the once chaotic floor in relative peace. All the monsters have returned to their routine behaviour and we are clear to go.

Only Hana, Tai and me are actually sailing out to sea because we can make a quick escape over the water surface. The rest would be waiting on the fifth island's shore.

"Caw caw caw."

"Valentine: You've reached the approximate centre point. Drop anchor and start flushing money down the drain."

"Anna: Sure, sure. Dropping anchor."

The usually murky water got a chance to settle and clear up thanks to the reduced number of monsters. I can actually see a good 40-60 m down.

"Hana: Ready?"

We release three of the contraptions for rapid descend and each monitor the corresponding displays. The search radius is at least a hundred meters and time is short.

'Rocks, rocks, corrals? bones? are those dungeon-made bones? Eh, this place has never made much sense. Hmm... rocks, seaweed. We'll need to get something with a mechanical arm and rapid refloating option to collect samples.'

Spoiler

HJ Lee Halloween fish character design

Halloween fish character design by HJ Lee

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqNq0e

[collapse]

Minutes tick by, the halfway point has passed and these machines have their fates sealed. There isn't enough time to save them.

"Ah." "Gone." "Tch."

"Anna: Any luck?"

"Hana: There was a suspicion spot covered by a carpet of algae."

"Tai: Nothing unusual in my direction. No caves at least."

We review the footage and position ourselves on top of that suspiciously circular spot of algae. A dozen rocks are dropped, followed by another submarine. We watch the footage in anticipation.

"Hana: Yess! It's an opening leading down. I just need to avoid getting stuck...Nice!"

'Looks like an underwater cave system.'

There isn't much to look at, just winding tunnels stretching on for a while. Some leading to dead ends, some splitting up and then converging again. The new submarine got devoured and we prepare to send the next one with the tablet attached.

"Nooo!!" "Ach! That piece of SHIT!"

We've had disturbed the water too much with all the activity and a damn monster had eaten our submarine before it could reach the entrance. It was also the more expensive model. I give a quick update to the island team.

"Anna: We have found the entrance, but now there's a monster blocking our way. I'm going to use the depth charges to attract it away while Hana slipes the backup submarine inside."

"Kate: Copy that. We'll be at the ready to jump in if you need help."

I set the timers and pass the explosives to the helpers, who after receiving instructions drop them some distance away. The resulting chain of little explosions is more than enough to provide a distraction, though it also reduces the visibility by churning the water. Though, thanks to our position remaining mostly the same as before, it is easier to find the opening again.

"Anna: Done! The new portal option is displayed."

"Hana: Already? Hm, ok. I guess we're done here. Too bad that the signal gets lost between the floors. I'll go turbo speed and try to look around a bit more."

We raise the anchor and start sailing back. A minute later, the signal died after crossing a boundary of water into a dry cave. The footage lasted only for a second, but there definitely was an air filled cave behind a wall of water.

Despite the danger, I feel excited by the prospect of exploring a new floor with its own ecosystem. Not to mention the new resources to be discovered and the next level up to be earned.

'Shoud I propose cutting down on our Christmas vacation days? ..? No... Unless I'm forced to attend the boring dinner parties, then I'd rather spend my time earning exp. Yeah, with my increased strength I might unintentionally snap someone's neck with a slap. Drunk assholes are that much worse than regular assholes. Heh~ maybe some accidental permanent damage would do someone some good. Oh... I'll need to buy more presents this year.'

3