Chapter 57 Know thyself.
108 6 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Demon Hunter - I Will Fail You

POV Meiko

"Valentine: No~, no~. Degenerate swine like me should do the dirty work of laying stone alone. A beacon of chivalry such as yourself shouldn't be getting her hands smeared with something so lowly."

`CRACK!

The flat rock in my hands broke into pebbles and I sincerely wish to send one of them into that smug face by accident. Unfortunately, I've asked for a punishment myself, and this is what came out of it.

"Meiko: You were going to frivolous establishments and buying women's time!"

"Valentine: And the next logical course of action that I would take is undoubtedly sending out the crows, that are completely loyal to Mari, with specific instructions to kidnap little girls. Then what? Just do the immoral acts out here in the open? Yes, I can 100% follow your logic."

'I wouldn't have come to that conclusion, if you weren't going to those places!!'

There was a small communications error. Lady Mari got only the bare-bones report that a little girl was brought to him, while we were delving the dungeon. I've overreacted, thinking that he was using Lady Mari's cherished helpers for nefarious deeds when all of us were otherwise occupied. Indirectly tainting her hands with unspeakable acts right under my nose!

I continue my work of grinding rocks flat for a new walkway while also grinding my teeth in frustration. My violent outburst has frightened the girl into distrust towards everyone, not just myself. That made things more complicated, and now we can't figure out how to resolve this issue.

'I should have had more faith in Lady Mari's helpers. Even if he can talk to them, they would have known right from wrong and not fallen for any tricks to make them commit crimes.'

After polishing enough rocks, I get to removing the old stones and processing them into either gravel or polished stone. I compact the soil, add sand-gravel and compact again. With my increased strength applied, this shouldn't become such a mess as it was before.

Placing the thin decorative stones alongside the main path and making sure that they are securely anchored required more care to avoid unintentionally breaking them. I've got so used to crushing everything with brute force, that this exercise in control is making me sweat from exertion. It feels more like working with glass.

"Valentine: I like the arrangement in this photo. Ours is too plain, we need to add more colours. I recall there being some pretty pebbles on the fourth floor's beaches. Yes, I'll get my sorry ass down to the dungeon. Otherwise, I might end up assaulting children if I'm not doing anything else. Better yet, a monster might put an end to this... what did you call it? Ah, yes! ...WILE SCUM!"

'Deep breaths Meiko, don't let him get to you. This is punishment for your actions, so suck it up and get the work done.'

In addition to feeling the shame of letting everyone down, I must endure constant mockery in complete surrender. Regardless of how much I wish to punch him in the face for being an asshole about it. I also can't let him go alone, not only is it dangerous but I'll be the one blamed for anything that might happen.

"Meiko: ...I'll go get my weapon and sweep the area."

Not giving him the satisfaction of seeing my pathetic self, I make a move first, to vent in solitude for the next five minutes. I urgently need a punching bag and a secluded place to scream my heart out. Even though I prefer bulkier monsters that can take a beating, the fourth floor will have to do.

.. .

"Caw CAW ×50"

Looking towards the source the sound, I find a veritable cloud of helpers flying in the direction of the shore. For most of us, noticing distinguishable features between them is difficult, but I can tell that there are plenty of young noncombatants included in that group. This fact made me sprint after them with all the haste that I could muster.

"Meiko: What are you doing?!"

"Valentine: WOW! Jesus Christ! You can ask questions without turning to physical assault! I need to visit a shrine to offer my heartfelt prayers. ...And to answer your question, I'm using this opportunity to feed the birds. Us weak little fellows have to make do with whatever chance we get. Plus, they'll help me collect the shiny bits and pieces for decorating the stone path."

Objectively speaking, this area is very safe if there are some warriors keeping watch on the surroundings. We had just cleared out most of the monster in the morning, and my own scouting effort turned up only a few scattered ambushers.

"Meiko: I've already apologized. What else do you want? Hit me in return if you so desire!"

"Valentine: ... You do understand that hitting you would only hurt my hands? Instead, how about an apology for doubting my character? For putting Mari on such a high pedestal that you see everyone else as a fucking turd on the sidewalk? I may be an asshole, but at least I can own up to it."

Being forbidden to articulate my displeasure by slapping the shit out of him, I can only turn around and start walking away. This ignorant fool knows not of Lady Mari's greatness, but his words carry a sting of truth about my own shortcomings.

'I was supposed to be by her side on that day! If I were there, then we wouldn't be in this mess! I would have been all that I wanted to be! A valiant protector, instead of a useless dead weight that couldn't do anything but run around like a headless chicken!'

I hate this floor.

It reminds me of my greatest failure and how insignificant all my lauded strength turned out to be. That someone so weak could stand in my place. That someone else is taking up so much of Lady Mari's time. That I may become replaceable.

I hate it all.

"I wanted you to turn out to be a piece of shit. That way, Lady Mari would not even look at you anymore, and I would feel secure in my position."

... .. .

【東方ヴォーカルPV】PANDORA66【暁Records公式】

POV Eri

The months of uninterrupted training were harsh. Every day I was worked to the bone and only the slowly increasing number of zeros in my bank account kept me motivated to continue. The special medicine that healed any and all injuries sustained during the combat training did help a bit too. Mistress Kate mentioned that it expires within two months, but I've taken it upon myself to confirm those claims. A cure-all medicine could fetch a very decent price if sold to the right desperate people in secret, after I retire.

"Kate: You will be keeping a close watch on this... person, in addition to learning his skills. I want comprehensive profiling and report on everything even mildly catching your eye. The little bastard decided to play my intentionally open contract terms against us. Tch. I should have examined what personality changes being dead for so long had on him, before putting that gift together. I was also distracted at that time."

Flipping through the short file on my "target", I feel another wave of cold sweat running down my back. The facts presented before me confirm once again that humans are the worst creatures in existence, and that I need to be extremely careful around this bitch.

'Fuck. I liked the bullshit that they feed to their little club way better than this.'

"Eri: When do I start?"

"Kate: Tomorrow. I want you to take advantage of the Christmas spirit to get close to him. Nothing too exaggerated, ...just a bit of pampering and a clearly visible desire to learn his craft should be enough. Build a confident and competent image, then give him a personal gift under the pretence of gratitude and following tradition. Also. You'll be spending this holiday with him. Complaining about your shitty boss and unreasonable work hours should help to shorter the distance between the two of you."

There was a pause during which my appearance was scrutinized, and I almost felt offended by her unvoiced low evaluation. I may not be the perfect embodiment of seductive beauty, but I'm a solid 8 out of 10 in most people's eyes.

Spoiler

Swing by Nomad .

Swing by Nomad .

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kDvXPK

[collapse]

'It's the complete truth! My boss is a tyrant and the work hours are absurd! Tch. At least I have permission to shit talk about this insufferable slave driver to my heart's content.'

"Eri: Would that be all Mistress Kate?"

"Kate: Hmm... I believe so, but do look through all the files that I've given you and refresh your memory. Unintentional accidents aren't permitted to happen right now. I've got enough on my plate as it is."

"Eri: Understood, I will begin my preparations immediately."

'I can finally relax! Time to splurge on some luxury service and get that good feeling of being above other people!'

With a little spring in my step, I hurriedly get out of here and check the available leisure facilities on my phone. I can realistically squeeze in four hours of having people grovel at my feet, before I have to actually make preparations for tomorrow. It's a sin to not spend your hard earned money on yourself.

"Hmm~hmm~ I'll get both genders with random costumes as service this time. The bunny boys were a bit too fetish specific and not to my tastes."

... .. .

Next morning came too soon for my tastes and I was taken to the location of my new workplace. Through a magic door at a construction site, to be more specific. Then I was practically kicked down into a fucking monster den and make to butcher onion-skunk hybrid things.

'The written description doesn't do these damn things justice. They are far worse than living tear-gas grenades.'

"Kate: Chop, chop. I have places to be and matters to attend. Another 15 kills should be just enough to earn you your first level. The gym here got an upgrade, so you'll be able to get a good feel on the changes to your physical abilities. I expect you to have at least one cooking skill mastered in two weeks time, so work hard and get the job done."

'Sadistic control freak. Sigh. I'll be done in a year, with enough money to live a wonderful life and a body that can tie steel rebar into knots barehanded. It's enough compensation for putting up with this.'

It's hard to appreciate the wonders of an alien planet when a harpy is pecking at you all the time. Fortunately, I'll be freed from her monitoring while she's attending lessons and I do plan to get a better look of this place at that time.

I work to the best of my ability, looking forward to getting some down time and ridding myself of the pain in the ass mistress. There's also a whisper of curiosity at the back of my mind, urging me to get that mysterious power faster and explore its depths.

"`Ah." An explosion of invigorating energy filled every cell in my body, sending a pleasant quiver up and down my being.

"Kate: Good. ...You can relieve your "stress" in the shower if you need to, otherwise follow your schedule as planned. I'll do a quick personal introduction before leaving you in Valentine's care."

Even this little nuance can't fully erase the unique feeling in my body. Once again I find that the written word was unable to properly convey what kind of experience I would have, and how much I'd be already looking forward to the next dose. Trailing behind my mistress, I do some quick math and re-evaluate my timetable.

'Perhaps, a year and a half would be more beneficial in the long run. Hmm~. I'll need to wait and see how my time destruction is going to work out before making any changes to my plans.'

Having refreshed in the shower, I forgo putting on my maid uniform in favour of sports wear. No need to come off pretentious by uselessly changing outfits ten times a day.

"Kate: `Clap, clap! Introductions! This is my personal maid Eri. She'll be helping you with your restaurant. Please train her up to your standard."

I try to make it not so obvious, but that hair style is too noticeable not to throw a glance. A short base of natural dark followed by the remnants of a long ruined haircut. Apparently it's a sore spot for him, evident by his growling reply.

"Valentine: It's not growing out as fast as it's supposed to. A measly 5 mm a month is absurd, and whatever they used on me isn't washing off. I'll be stuck with an army cut for months if I shave off this mess right now."

"Kate: It gave you Hollywood actor vibes. I actually liked it."

"Valentine: And I say: you tried to make me look like Mari's old man! Normal people hide their gray with hair dye, not the other way around! Whatever, just close this topic and move on. Right, Eri, please send this person on her way and go do your thing. You can find me up here until 5 p.m., after that I'm off the clock and don't have to do shit for anyone."

'Don't mind if I do!'

"Eri: Mistress Kate, please allow me to escort you on your way out."

It's a pleasure to see mistress Kate leaving things be with nothing more than a shrug, it means that she is keeping up a persona that wouldn't be such a pain to deal with. I'm left to my own devices following a whispered "Behave." and enjoy my time in the gym.

"This new power source is fascinating, there are definitely not enough physical changes to explain this sudden boost. I can do a one arm handstand pushup, for crying out loud!"

'Once I get to Lv 2, I'll pay a visit to my combat instructor and demonstrate my improvements, by beating the living shit out of her. Yes, I'll be sending her a nice present for the new year after all, and then ask to trade pointers later.'

I check my body all over, finding it to be in a satisfactory state and having gained more than enviable improvements. With my immediate concerns put to rest and three work hours left, I go straight to the showers and spend the next half an hour chilling out in the hot springs. Nothing beats getting paid for lazing around, except for getting paid a small fortune for lazing around. The only downside is that there are no trained staff to provide services, otherwise I would have spent a few more hours down here.

Completely devoid of makeup and back in my uniform, I evaluate my appearance reflected in the mirror to be very good. Definitely a picture perfect example of vigour and grace rolled into one small package.

I greet the man working in the kitchen with spirit behind my energetic voice.

"Eri: Hey, chief! I want a sofa in the game room to take naps after relaxing in the hot springs!"

"Valentine: ...Heh~ nice try. It's chef, not chief, so get it yourself if you want to. Your little hellion has the money, so ask her to spend a bit of it."

"Eri: Nah, she wants me to work without breaks, so I can't ask for that directly."

"Valentine: Hm~ I was going to rearrange the game room eventually. To make it more compartmentalized, with a section for hands-on gaming equipment and one for more relaxed console gaming. An additional section for laying on a sofa to read books or watch TV would be a welcome addition, actually."

"Eri: Say no more. Christmas is a time for gifts giving, so I'll drop a few hints to guide her money in the right direction. However, I'm very tired, hungry and traumatized from all this insane monster business... ."

I get another good-natured snort in reply and a gesture to take a seat. I believe that my first impressions on him is rather satisfactory and will only improve over my time spent here.

"Valentine: Any allergies or dislikes I should know about?"

"Eri: It might sound strange and surprising, but I don't like raw fish, instead preferring to have it fried in plenty of oil."

"Valentine: Thank the heavens that I'm not a sushi chef, otherwise I'd be kicking you out with a broom. ...On the other hand, now I get a distinct feeling that many of those students are going to be asking for sushi, and I haven't made any in forever. Haa... What an oversight, I forgot that there is a whole sushi culture in Japan. I'll need to revise my repertoire and plan for fishing trips to the fourth floor."

I make myself useful by further elaborating on what that type of clientele is used to and what services are to be expected. Most of it is promptly discarded by virtue of this being a special establishment with its own rules and because it's extra hassle for little to no benefits.

"Eri: What should I be training the part-timer in, specifically?"

"Valentine: I can demonstrate the technical aspects of a waitress's job, give her some training on how to handle their ilk. I don't want to end up throwing her to the wolves, especially when the student here are, what they are."

"Eri: A bit of everything then. If it's just for two hours on weekdays, then I won't have the time to go into the more difficult stuff."

'She wouldn't need to learn more than a tenth of what I have been taught anyway. ~Hm~hm~hm. The first month here should be easy going. Taking cooking lessons and spending an hour on teaching in return will make for a fun change of pace. I'll try to ask him to take me around the dungeon when I get bored of this routine.'

By next year I expect to have a better understanding of the situation here and start probing for what can get me the greatest benefits. Just learning to cook seems too restricting considering my ample talents.

Spoiler

Dear readers, pay up! I need ideas as to what I should write about, a kick to get my brain working. (The obvious one that I already have is the fifth floor monster encounters, but what else?)

[collapse]

3