Chapter 60 The holidays.
103 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

This chapter is VERY skippable, cringe and just blah! BTW, if anyone was wondering, I'm in the Goth loli preference group, because of Anime reasons.

[collapse]

リ・ユーク / 缶缶

POV Risa

Talking too much gets people in trouble. I have taken a liking to speaking with actions instead, or speaking up only when it actually matters. It's a mystery to me how others can just talk for hours nonstop about nothing in particular. I find it to be a bizarre practice.

"Risa: Mom. It's not a damn date! I don't need all these things! I'm not a Christmas tree for God's sake!"

'Curse my stupid mouth. It just had to open up and get me into trouble! I should have just lied and got over with it.'

I previously thought that the school festival was bad enough, but no, this is worse. My other traitorous parent has abandoned me with a smirk on his face. I bet that this is his revenge for getting a thorough beating when I've asked him to be my sparring partner.

'Traitor! I even shared a low grade healing potion to treat your bruises!'

"Mother: You were absolutely adorable while performing on stage! I have printed plenty of photos that I'll be adding to the Christmas cards for everyone to see! We must have you made presentable for this occasion too."

'God. Please, just kill me right now.'

I may need to take shelter in the dungeon for a few days to allow all the excitement to pass over. Unfortunately, there is no escaping my current predicament. I'm subjected to hours of being used as a dress up doll. The whole wardrobe, that I don't even open because there's nothing in it but the clothes mother has bought for me, is emptied out and I'm made to change clothes, accessories and footwear a countless number of times.

.. .

"Valentine: ... ...No offence to you and whoever strapped you to a chair for an hour, because you do look very lovely, but... and I'm not saying that it's a bad thing! You have a more.. natural.. kogal, or biker gang member vibe going on during most of the time. Presently, it looks like someone had dressed you up for a guest appearance on a low-budget TV show about some no-name J-pop singer."

I'm already at my breaking point by the time I manage to escape my captor and make it to the meeting location. I know that the whole ordeal is the result of my own actions, but I still feel frustrated. Someone needs to get the short end of the stick, someone that isn't me.

"Risa: Three. whole. insufferable. hours! You owe me, big time!"

"Valentine: ...huh? ...What the what now? How is any of this my fault?"

"Risa: Shut up and start walking."

Just wanting to get this over and done with it, I take his hand and lead us straight towards the park. I can perceive the glances directed at me much more clearly with my higher level, so I speed up and do my best to ignore them.

"Valentine: You could just go to one of your friend's places to hide away for a day if you got into a pickle at home. I'm not exactly a snowflake to melt at the slightest change in circumstances, so I would have been ok staying at home."

"Risa: `Sigh. I don't want to run away from a difficult situation, besides the worst part is already behind me."

'They would openly laugh in my face, or worse! This shame must not be known by any more people than necessary! Ever!'

I doubt that anyone would even recognize me right now. With the two piece, A-line, red and white frilled dress, a red hairband, white stockings and damn heels, I definitely don't look like myself. Anyone would mistake me for some stranger they've never met.

"Valentine: ...ok. I'll try to not make it awkward for either of us. However..., you might want to ease up on the dragging me around. I'm fairly certain that some stupid people are imagining all sorts of ... savory scenarios in their heads."

'Fuck! Of course that's the reason I've been feeling more and more stares on me! Gods! I hate this day!'

"Just...hmm...ehh. Let's just go with imitating the majority. From what I see around, it's either walking arm in arm, or me carrying five bags and following you like a puppy. ...Do you need to buy anything?"

"Risa: A change of clothes and enough booze to forget this day."

Upon taking a turn to another street, I slow down my pace and interlock our arms, making us less noticeable among the crowd. I feel much more at ease with most of the stares disappearing as we walk along the street.

"Valentine: Actually, do you still get drunk or is your alcohol tolerance level much higher now?"

"Risa: Good question. I can taste alcoholic beverages just fine, but the buzz is greatly reduced and short lived. Last time I've drank a whole bottle of strong liquor and barely felt wobbly, it was a few months back when..."

"Valentine: ...When my stash got raided. I've restocked it with products of my own make. The magic distillery is sure convenient if you know the correct recipe. It's also a question of personal preference, so I'm not 100% sure on what's good and what needs improvement. I have looked into those so-called experts of the wine tasting techniques, but most of them sound like posh pricks. It would be more helpful to ask for reviews directly from potential consumers."

I was looking for a word to substitute "you died" but couldn't find one. That topic, thankfully, got sidestepped without raising an eyebrow.

"Risa: I'll buy you something from the souvenir shop at the park to make up for the things that I've drank. They have a whole lot of decorative figurines of all possible designs. ...Now that I think about it... . You don't have a Christmas tree to decorate, do you?"

"Valentine: Not the evergreen kind, no. I...I don't remember if I ever decorated a Christmas tree back at my old home. I probably did when I was young, but I can't recall those memories anymore. ...Some trees in the garden could use a trim. I'll just tie the useless branches together and decorate them instead."

'Can I please stop picking the worst topics to talk about?! Am I doing this on purpose? Because it sure as hell feels that way to me!'

I want to hit my head against something hard right now. Maybe a light jolt will make my brain function normally and I'll find a simple topic to talk about.

"Risa: Did you buy a present for Kei?"

'Nice. A really smooth way to change the subject. It came out completely natural and not eyebrow raising at all. ...Lower that damn eyebrow!'

"Valentine: ...She said that a cake is good enough. Besides, I have no idea what girls like nowadays. From my perspective, it's always easier and safer to just gift money so that they can buy something useful for themselves. Expensive alcohol comes second, but she is too young for that."

"Risa: Get her one or two figurines of an animal that she likes. It's not expensive, and such a small decoration can easily be added to any room, so it won't go to waste."

The short walk is quickly over, and we join the small line of people to admire the scenes. It's a nicely done arrangement of nature, glass and lights all around. However...

'I should have picked to come here a few hours later! This whole spectacle would have been much more impressive once the sun goes down. No wonder there are so little people here.'

My lack of experience has reared its head again, compounded by the fact that I haven't come here in forever. Usually, I just follow along with my family and don't pay much attention to the little details.

'Mother probably thought that I would take a long walk around the city and have lunch at a restaurant like a normal girl would, or something similar. I just ran straight here instead. `Sigh. At least no-one is complaining.'

We've made a fill circle, stopping to admire the glass flowers and figurines that catch our eye in more detail. I just find some of them interesting to look at, but Val is examining them as inspiration for decorating dishes and desserts. Admittedly, they do look beautifully crafted and would make for interesting decorations if made into edible miniature forms. Our last stop is the gift shop.

"Risa: Do you need help choosing?"

"Valentine: Not really... . I was just thinking of buying one for everyone. Yes, hehe~ this one is perfect for Miss Shiraki."

I consider the glass gorilla figurine, the shit eating grin on his face and just shrug my shoulders. I've seen worse "presents" being exchanged, so it's not something unimaginable.

There's a surprisingly large variety of choices presented. The stock must have been freshly renewed for the expected mass of visitors coming in the evening.

'Should I aim for something in the cooking theme?'

Absentmindedly, I ask another question while looking through the available designs.

"Risa: What's your zodiac sign?"

"Valentine: It's... . It used to be Gemini, then... beginning of April, so it was Aries. Now, it's in between summer and autumn so, Libra if I'm not mistaken?"

"Risa: Gemini is like two for the price of one, so I'll pick something from that theme."

'Really Risa? Can you just stop asking the wrong questions and shut up!? Ask his favourite colour or something! How does he even tolerate being around me?'

In the end, I picked a pair of bear cubs wearing chef's hats. Shattering my justified expectations, I'm given a little Shiba Inu decked out in red armour that looks cute and doesn't imply how inconsiderate of a person I was today.

"Valentine: You going out with friends after this?"

"Risa: No."

"Valentine: ... ... That's your cue to tell me what to do next. You didn't really share anything beyond "wait there at 2 p.m.", so I'm asking whether I should start going home alone, or invite you for tea, or something else entirely."

"Risa: Oh...ok. Sorry, this day has been a challenge for me, and I'm out of my comfort zone. ... Let's go to the HQ. I want to get out of these clothes, take a bath and cut something to pieces or a few dozens of something."

"Valentine: Sure. I'll make us late lunch while you're busy. Anything you would like to eat today?"

"Risa: Can you make that seafood okonomiyaki again?"

"Valentine: Ugh! It's still a work in progress because I'm substituting the specialized ingredients for homemade ones. I'm not at fault if this time it turns out not as good. I'll cook some handmade pasta and grill a few slices of fish for the main course. The okonomiyaki will become a side dish if it's a flop this time."

I like festive food and the okonomiyaki last time was THE best one in Japan, as far as I have tasted.

'Comfortable clothes, plenty of stress relief and the best food. I could get spoiled by this lifestyle.'

WORLD ORDER "MACHINE CIVILIZATION"

POV Kei

"Itadakimasu ×3"

"Father: Thank you for this feast Kei, neither of us could pull off anything comparable to this, but you have almost singlehandedly done the impossible."

"Brother: You've done great Kei. This may be my first Christmas cake and to make it even better, it was handmade by you!"

I've worked double hours to make this all possible and it's gratifying to be praised for the results of my hard work. Of course, I'll have to thank Chef Valentine for agreeing to teach and help me, instead of taking the day off as planned. Then there are all the ingredients and the presents too.

"Father: Kei? Do you want to join the toast? We could open one of the bottles that you were gifted."

"Kei: Just the 3% one. I tried some when we added it to the cream, it's nice and barely tastes like alcohol."

I pour us full cups for the special occasion. The other bottles will be used sparingly in cooking, or for similar events.

"Kanpai ×3"

We enjoy the company of our small family circle and eat until we're stuffed. It's good seeing everyone relax and kick back for the day. Eventually, our traditional exchange or envelopes is at hand. We had settled on passing ¥2,000 to each other, but I've made a little addition to mine.

"Brother: Self-defence training? This package deal can't be that cheap, only the insurance must have cost around ¥2,000."

I don't give him a chance to refuse and send a glance to dad, signalling that he should support me with this. Despite my reservations, I put Eri's lessons to use and make my tone sound admonishing.

"Kei: It's for your own good to improve upon the areas that you are lacking in."

"Father: Son, I'm sorry to say this, but it may be down to our genes. Your father was never a fighter and let's be honest here, with you athletic abilities it wouldn't be a surprise if a younger girl could beat you up."

"Kei: I've seen you practice volleyball. It was really sad to watch."

'You can't hit a ball at all! I've seen children in kindergarten with better athletic talent that yours! If it was anyone else, they would have filmed your performance and uploaded it on the internet, getting millions of views! You need to at least learn how to safely run away from a fight and how to protect your most vulnerable organs. Any of those women could slap you into a hospital bed with a single wave of their hand.'

It is unfair of us to target his weaker side, but we all know that it's the truth. The increasingly pink coloured cheeks show that he himself knows about it. Instead of committing to a losing battle, he tries to switch the angle of approach.

"Brother: That's not my point! We can't afford this!"

"Kei: ...Actually we can. I earn in a week more than you get paid in a month. Before you ask, no, I don't get paid with the food that I bring back. That's just a bonus to my salary."

"Brother: ... But you are just taking lessons and not even officially working yet."

That would have made sense in a normal situation, but my circumstances are extraordinary.

"Father: That's called keeping up appearances. If a reputable name isn't paying an appropriate salary then they lose face. If they lose face, then their losses are slowly cascading into eventual ruin. That is an undeniable fact for places that are relying so heavily on their reputation. Don't be mistaken son, I'm not saying that hard work isn't rewarded. It's just that the road you have chosen for yourself is an arduous one, there will be ups and downs, of that I am sure. You have to be steadfast in your resolve and tackle the problems you encounter without shying away from them. Even if it's painful."

Hearing that from someone who has been dragged to the bottom, but stood back up is enough to make him go silent.

"Kei: Pay me back by putting my mind at ease knowing that you will be safe in any situation. Also... ...You really do need to improve your hand-eye coordination. I think that all your repetitive part-time jobs have completely dulled your fine motor skills."

'I need one more push!'

"Since I'm working with comparatively greater success, would you rather quit working and spend your time on athletic activities?"

It's more productive to bombard him with information and let it stall his processing ability. Despite being a foolish brother, he can acknowledge concrete facts that are shoved in his face, for what they are without looking for ways to undermine them... unless he is completely cornered.

"Brother: Fine! I'll find the time to attend these lessons, but I'm not quitting work. Your situation is too uncertain right now, we don't know if you'll actually have the job the next month or not. The risks outweigh the benefits if I do as you suggest."

'Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about that. Unfortunately, I can't exactly talk about those things openly with anyone.'

"Kei: Alright. Hehe~ if you were my sister, I could have recommended you for a part-time position too."

"Brother: No. I wouldn't have liked wearing maid clothes if I had retained my personality. Butler clothes on the other hand do look similar to my school uniform, so I don't really mind those."

"Kei: Dear brother. Don't bite more than you can chew. The older a girl get, the scarier she becomes. Those students would have toyed with you before discarding your broken body in the nearby park. You should first learn how to be more considerate towards women and getting on their good side, instead of always butting heads like you do. Your hard-headed rivalry with the top scoring girl is well known by everyone at school."

I redirect our focus towards brother's life at school and the normal boy-girl troubles he is having. Father chimes in from time to time, but doesn't press hard on any further discussions. It's nice seeing the always stoic and collected brother being at our mercy with a flushed red face.

The lack of coffee on our table becomes apparent when brother crashes and starts snoring while seated. The wine might have played a part in loosening him up a bit too.

"Father: Daughter? I haven't asked before, but are you under NDA's?"

"Kei: I can neither confirm nor deny that."

"Father: Hoh? That many? I wanted to ask if I could meet the person teaching you. Perhaps over a cup of tea?"

I consider my opinion. The best scenario here is for them to talk somewhere away from the women's notice, or not to meet at all. A phone call would have been just as sufficient as a face to face meeting.

"Kei: I'll ask him, but you'll probably have to settle for some nearby cafe or park. You can say that it'll be a talk on neutral ground where no-one needs to wear a mask. You could also just video chat. You do it all day long anyways, so it's easier to arrange for."

"Father: I could, yes. Still, seeing someone in person has a different weight to it. I also need to put my mind at ease by knowing that you will be safe in any situation. Besides, I'm not asking to meet with the big bosses themselves, just the person that you are directly working with."

'Ah... using my own words against me. How the tables have turned.'

There doesn't look to be any way to change his mind, so all I can do is to promise that I'll pass the message and try to arrange a time for a little meeting between them.

3