Chapter 63 The tea ceremony.
75 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"JOIN US" - Caleb Hyles, @annapantsu & @Alex Moukala

POV Mari

"Sigh... What am I to do?"

There's too much work on the horizon. Too many things happening all at once and never enough time to deal with everything.

'It might be better to purchase the new gate address right now and check that it's relatively safe while our group hasn't fractured apart. That should yield us plenty of backlog to occupy the new girls and allow us respite to deal with the mundane issues.'

Running around a fully explored section of an alien planet is novel for a very short time, after that comes the desire to explore the unexplored. Unfortunately, the danger in doing so is too great even for us and there is no way we can allow anyone to jump into that meat grinder. Scouting the surface hasn't revealed anything extraordinary so far either, just small animals and plants that don't look promising at first glance, so there are almost no time-consuming distractions.

'We must test the danger levels of the new dungeon and leave the detailed explanation to the newly formed exploratory parties. The prospect of earning merit will undoubtedly slow them down to a crawl, preferably they will take as much time as we did. I'll just need to make sure that at least half of us will be available to join their teams to provide backup for when things go horribly wrong.'

... .. .

"Kate: Is everyone in agreement? We are first trying our luck with a cheaper random address before choosing the mana rich one?"

We all nod in agreement and wait to see what will happen. Previously, there was too much potential risk to conducting experiments on the gate. Now that we have over 150k MP to fall back on, we have the leeway to take precautions and do a little testing.

"Kate: ...You damn piece of... Haaa...Valentine, please press the confirmation."

-Owner authorization required! Confirmed.

'So we can't operate this equipment without his authorisation? Hmm... it's a reasonable safety feature for what is essentially the heart of this whole structure.'

"Valentine: Heh, I'll say it right now: I have shit luck. Please don't blame me for whatever location this opens to."

I watch as 10k MP are deducted from our hard earned reserves and a new address is added to the list. Just seeing the nonsensical string of numbers instead of an easy to understand description gives me a bad feeling about this one.

-Open gate address (7664614815... .) -1000 Mp.

"Mari: At least this confirms that we can switch between the destinations without too much trouble. Perhaps we should spatially expand this room and purchase a second gate instead of paying a thousand mana every time?"

"Valentine: Don't forget about the daily upkeep of almost 100 mana for a single gate. We are already in the red with the training room being used all the time. I do agree that we must have a secondary gate, as I need fresh ingredients, but please go over the mana expenses once we get a clear picture after a few days."

'The next upgrade should fix that issue and if everything goes according to plan, then we will have a steady supply of mana flowing in to cover the running costs of our increased activity.'

With everyone's agreement we leave the room and navigate the tablet functions to invest 15k MP into spacial expansion. The price is exorbitant for adding some measly 30 m², but we ignore it for now as our attention is drawn to opening the second gate.

The magic happening here is undoubtedly extraordinary in its complexity, but we can't really get a feel for it. The new gate lights up in a subtle fashion, taking no time at all and making no noise.

"Yumi: I was expecting something more... magical than this. It kinda felt like switching on the lights?"

"Meiko: It's fine as long as it works, but yeah. Anyway, I'll send the probe through. ...Let's see what's on the other side."

A sore spot for us is that none of our technology is capable of sending a signal through the gate and only the HQ tablets function as intended. Left without a choice we had to improvise and order custom built contraptions to serve as our probes.

Meiko opened up one of the boxes and set the tablets to video recording, before sealing it again and taking position by the gate. On the count of three, she slides it through and we all become transfixed on the screens. The first probe sent was the cheapest disposable unit that could only analyze the most basic parameters to determine survivability on the other side.

"Kate: I've been getting very bad vibes from this address, now I know why. Simply looking around would require large investments and likely get us nothing in return. Perhaps in the future, we could explore it for the sake of science or something."

I rewind the video and focus on the data displayed instead of the pitch black, desertlike environment. In seconds, the temperature is rapidly dropping below -200 ⁰C, radiation levels had spiked and overloaded the sensors, multiple failures due to equipment damage, no viable atmosphere was detected... I release a sigh and switch focus to our real objective once again.

'It's too hostile for us to even consider trying to explore any further. ...Now, the moment of truth.'

We confirm again that authorization is needed and purchase the expensive address. The gate, unsurprisingly, switched destinations without fanfare and Meiko pushed through the advanced probe that will autonomously function for weeks while analysing the environment.

"Kate: Hou~ now this looks promising. I wonder how such rock formations were created? ... Honestly, the dungeon only needs to be half as spectacular as the outside for our plan to work."

Spoiler

Crystal Valley by Nele Diel

Crystal Valley by Nele Diel

Retrieved from  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LXeR0

[collapse]

We all agree that this view screams of adventure on an alien planet, beckoning us to drop everything and explore to our hearts satisfaction. Nevertheless, we must first allow the probe to do its job, then procure supplies to allow us for somewhat safe exploration, following that we will look for the nearby dungeon.

'I need to give our expedition some more thought... and convince Haruka to be our field medic during this operation.'

"Mari: Alright then, this turned out better than expected. Now we just need to take care of our council duties, procure supplies, coordinate the expedition... ...and keep our schedule as empty as possible for that time period."

Most groaned in pain from the coming headache of putting everything together and trying to prepare for the unknown dangers lurking on the other side, but all of that will come later. To celebrate this success, we decided to hold a little party and unwind before getting back to work. A few bottles of wine were brought out and after a bit of complaining a couple bottles of strong alcohol were added to the table.

Meiko unknowingly drank too much and started getting rowdy, pouring out her heart, declaring that she'll crush everything in our path and swearing with a sob that she'll become stronger than ever. Once I got within an arm's reach to calm things down, she latched onto me and wouldn't let go, so I ended up glued to our seat while the rest went on to other activities.

Hana had shaken off a bit of her downcast mood and following Meiko's example got a bit rowdy. Together with Tai, they began an impromptu competition to see who can run around the HQ faster. The others called out items for them to find and bring back, mostly fruits and berries grown downstairs. The celebration had become a disorganized mess, but it felt good to be a part of it.

.... ... .. .

As we were going through our workload, Kate has brought up a suggestion to hold a tea ceremony. It wouldn't have been all that troublesome, if not for her insistence on revealing the HQ's location! Admittedly, we won't actually point out that exact detail, but our cover story will be paper thin. Insisting that we should slowly mend our relationship with Valentine by doing such bonding activities didn't help to clear my doubts, but instead made it more difficult to voice my concerns.

.. .

Redecorating the restaurant floor didn't take all that much effort, with the camouflage function and tweaking some settings the whole "old European" aesthetic became a traditional Japanese tea house. A bit of fake landscaping turned the outside into a beautiful sight of a retreat from the hustle and bustle of modern life. I had to begrudgingly admit that it was wonderfully done, even if we had no solid mundane explanation for a building just popping up here when it obviously never existed before.

I wanted to keep things secret for a few more months, but the majority agreed to Kate's proposal and I was elected to take the lead. Given my membership in the tea ceremony club, I have all the necessary knowledge for the task, though it is an entirely different challenge to explain hundreds of years of history to someone in mere days. Diving into the reasons why having tea takes hours instead of minutes is never fun, especially to the comments of "stone age tradition" or "I'd rather take a nap". Predictably, Kei was the more pleasant student to teach, in part because she didn't complain about sitting still all the time. Valentine, on the other hand, grumbled like an old man and had given up trying to imitate the correct seating posture after barely an hour.

A compromise was reached to have him act as an observer. It plays well into the cover story of introducing him to Japanese culture and traditions. I have some suspicions that he was playing up his inability to follow the procedures to simply weasel out of buying appropriate clothing. However, seeing as I've had already stepped on that landmine, with disastrous results, I didn't voice my suspicions aloud.

Hana volunteered to take Kei shopping and Kate focused on sorting out the finishing touches for the decorations. Most of the rest had turned to intense training during any free time. The tension in the air is almost tangible as we wait for the probe to collect sufficient data and finally get to scouting the new planet.

... .. .

"Mari: I didn't really notice how much we are all mentally flayed. Kate had the foresight to reduce this accumulating tension with a well-timed suggestion. ...Was that her intuition skill at play? Honestly, we should make holding such events a monthly requirement to allow us a moment to look back and reflect."

"Meiko: I believe that she had more practical goals in mind, like not making mistakes due to stress that may lead to unfortunate results. ...A regular small break is a nice idea, though."

We wait for a few more minutes and once the time is right Meiko heads down to welcome and guide our slowly growing sisterhood to the surface. I take my time to get into a suitable mental state and just meditate for a short while.

Relaxed and feeling calm, I slowly make a move towards the newly redesigned area outside and lay my eyes on the girls. A glance confirmed that everyone is comfortably wearing kimonos, the slightly cold season posing no inconvenience to their enchanted bodies.

'Beauty to stun and strength to tear asunder... What a deadly combination.'

We bow in greeting and proceed inside. While the guests tickle in and take a look around, I join my helpers.

The kitchen hasn't been touched by anyone, so the contrast in appearance is stark and separated only by temporary dividers. I drink a cup of tea in preparation for giving individual greetings to each guest. With over twenty of them in attendance it won't be a matter of a few minutes. Giving the guests a bit more time to settle down, I double check the kaiseki that will be served and the utensils used. With everything being in order, I feel ready to begin the main half of the tea ceremony.

Following the greetings, the obligatory questions are asked, and I try to give the most truthful answers given the extraordinary circumstances.

"The garden pathways appear to be set as a part of a large mosaic."

"Mari: Meiko had a sudden... burst of artistic creativity which led to her spending some time working on it." 'Yes, right after smacking Valentine into a wall and frightening little Kei.'

It is actually quite easy to keep the conversations short, as everyone is following the rules and doesn't start asking the burning mountain of questions. At least, this pace will last until the end of the tea ceremony, but right after that it will probably turn into a whole Q&A session.

I enjoy the tranquility while it lasts.

An Unaware Drunkard (English Cover)【Will Stetson】「酔いどれ知らず」 [Kanaria]

POV Juliana

'Damn. I should have made up an excuse to skip this boring ass party. Not to mention that I'm the only old hag among these young schoolgirls.'

I throw a glance to the corner where Valentine is sitting, or vibrating with desire to run out of this room and stretch, to be more precise. Ogling pretty girls can get one only so far before the unfamiliar sitting posture becomes too much for that distraction to work. I, on the other hand, have no more troubles with my body thanks to all the levels boosting my physical abilities.

'Even the food is barely scraps! Maybe it's enough for someone on a diet, but I need a proper portion!'

There are also so many damn rules to follow that I'm just copying what the maid is doing and keeping my face neutral.

'Yakiniku and sake... Yeah, let's propose that instead of this disappointment.'

My days in the military had seen plenty of sitting around for days and sometimes weeks, but during that time we had the freedom to let loose and behave as we wanted. Compared to those days this rigid, high society gathering doesn't sit all that well with me.

'The hell are they even looking for? Sure, the cups and everything are of high quality, but what are they trying to do by examining them for fricking ten minutes at a time?!'

I got too bored with this whole thing and just stopped paying attention to detail, instead choosing to empty my mind and let time flow faster. Not needing to participate in conversations let me almost doze off and soon enough the damn tea was finally served.

Not too interested in the formalities, I'm relieved to receive the signal that we can drop the rigid act. I quickly join a corner farther away from earshot.

"Juliana: How did you like your first tea ceremony?"

"Valentine: ...Almost started rolling on the floor from a leg cramp. How do you people sit in this way? I think that I'd rather hunt a crocodile than suffer through another one of these. Hmm... BBQ and booze does sound much better."

"Juliana: Hell yeah! My thoughts exactly. Let's leave this high-class business to the noble Ladies and get some decent entertainment going!"

"Valentine: I think that Yumi and Risa won't mind joining us, so we can stage a quick hit and run for ingredients. I'll be your spotter, so take the anti-material heavy rifle."

I invite Yumi, who in turn gets Tai on board, and we ditch the others who are occupied with answering unending questions. Changing into combat gear and preparing a plan of action don't take much time as we already know what to do and what to expect.

"Valentine: We run in a straight line as much as possible, while keeping the noise down all the way to this here pond. Tai, I want you to run loops around the warrior berries while we wait for the crock to turn into loot. ...I still don't feel safe taking on all three of them with only the few of us, so we aren't taking on that needless risk. Not until the gear enchantment issues are resolved. We can talk more on the move."

We avoid all the stationary monsters and dispatch the annoying frog patrol with ease before arriving at the pond in under ten minutes. I take position on high ground and prepare to pull the big crock out of the water. Valentine does some strange scouting by sticking his hand into the water a few times before finding the target.

"Valentine: From my position, left 12 up 5, around half a meter underwater, stationary, facing the shore. No info on the berries, but they are probably laying in wait around the same spot as marked on the map."

"Juliana: Roger that. ...Target locked, fire in 3,2,1..."

'POP! POP! POP! POP! POP!'

I send half a clip towards the designated area and see the churning water being dyed blue.

'HA! Fuck you lizard! You'll be my BBQ meat today!'

The bastard pisses me off because I can't see it by myself at all. Not even when I'm told where to look. If I could detect them, then perhaps it wouldn't have gone down that badly during our first encounter.

Wounded and driven out from its hiding hole, the great beast is slain with another five bullets to the skull, ripping good chunks of brain matter out in a spray of blue. Risa cuts off its head for good measure and we wait out the last minute, while observing how Tai dances around the relatively slow monsters.

We are fortunate that these monsters lack speed, otherwise they would have outclassed us by too much of a margin. By exploiting their weakness, it won't be hard to work out a foolproof strategy to efficiently take them down, and even better if the crafters finally produce something useful for combat.

'...A flame thrower, no, too hazardous. If someone could just nail them down in place and give me a clear line of fire, then consented shotgun discharge would have torn them to shreds. Eh, too bad these things know how to fight back.'

I really don't want to find out what the high tier monsters are, and even less what the boss monstrosity is like. Not until we have fricking mages that can substitute for a detachment of artillery to pound enemies into mush from a good distance. For now I just observe the movement patterns of the warriors in an attempt to find more weaknesses.

"Valentine: And...ok, we've got the loot. Tai, give us half a minute to retreat, then disengage and follow. The rest, clear out any frogs that want to slow us down!"

The retreat was completed without trouble, doubling back while taking care of a few monsters drawn by the noise. It was too bothersome to wait for the remains to transform, so we left them behind in favour of a swift retreat. The whole thing took only half an hour, barely registering with the ones deep in conversation upstairs.

We took our separate little party to the game room. A decent meal after a light exercise, followed by cracking open the fun alternative to tea got us loosened up after that dreadful stiffness. Heck, even the maid had forsaken her high-end clothes and joined us!

'Ahhh~ finally, I'll get some real R&R, without anyone charging face first into any deathtraps. Actually, I'll bring up the matter of vacation and take my girls sightseeing during the weekends starting ASAP. Got to make up for lost time... .'

2