6. Sanctuary of Apes
68 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle is not yet over. Our duel reaches its climax, and the victory is decided, but even so. There are proper procedures that must be undertaken.

True to my spirit, I walk to my unconscious foe. If there is one thing that must be done, it is this. No matter what others may think, ones own principles should never be sacrificed to satisfy others expectations.

Both of my arms tuck under the ape stomach. Its warm belly and hair brush against my skin. A reminder of its status as a living being.

An entity with a soul, consciousness and drive. What about it warrants any less respect than me?

I tense the muscles in my arm and raise the ape. Held in the air, it takes a few moments for me to realize its weight.

Light. That's the first thing that comes to mind. Even if I know the extent of my strength, it still seems out of place.

For the greatest beast here, to be no more than a minor inconvenience, what does that suggest about me?

Rustles emerge from the tree to my far right. There, a certain someone prepares to leave. Vela, whose head gently peaks out, darts from side to side. A most curious expression on her face, her eyes linger on my being for a moment.

Her face, which freezes, then transforms back into acceptance the second after.

With a movement that is neither graceful nor proficient, she leaps from the tree. Caught partially by the structures of the plant, her clothes are spoiled. Once clean and noble-like, they are now adorned with dirt, leaves and misplaced buttons.

I do not pay her any attention.

My eyes which still look to the horizon, do not gaze at her once.

Out of respect for her perceived sense of integrity, I do not so much as a comment. Mages, whose concepts of 'face' take greater precedence over conventional morals at times, are not to be trifled with.

Indeed, through instinct alone and the corner of my eye, I can deduce this is the case. Undoubtedly, her flustered self, which now possesses many questions, wishes to address me. Ragged breathing, legs that stumble with every step, all instinctual actions that betray her thoughts.

"Hey, where are you going?" She shouts, her voice still destabilized by adrenaline.

"To its home," I reply. This time, she has nothing more to say.

Or rather that she sees no point in it. There was no meaning in speaking to one who could not hear you.

This is because, the next moment, I am gone from view. Most likely, a speck of black in her eyes, what use is there in calling to one?

None. To her, it may seem as if my actions are done out of disrespect and disregard for her being. A convenient excuse to avoid confronting her, that can not be further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is, the faster I got this over with, the faster I would return.

Questions are important. I understand that. Which is precisely why I must be in a good position to answer. Should the ape be still left at the mercy of the forest, then predators would arrive. Predators that I would have to take care of.

My body, which is still in pristine conditions, stops. Indeed, the reason that motivates my halt is what lies before me.

A mass of angled stone and debris, it is both steep and devoid of a clean passageway. No more than a menial task at best, I place a foot forward.

Balance. I find it as I feel the formation before my feet. To acclimate my being to my surroundings, I take one final breath. To scale this obstacle with my hands full, I must rely on my legs.

I cast a final upward glance to my destination—a small cave atop a secluded hill.

Just as a fish must leap up a waterfall, I too shall have to cross this ragged elevation with nothing but will alone. Therefore, without anything else to contemplate, I run.

If I falter or slow, then I will fall. But there's no need for such hypotheticals. My speed does not drop one bit as I scale this barrier.

Chime like, pebbles and rocks scatter before my ascent. Soon enough, when the flat ground is within my grasp, I increase the output of energy.

Speed and strength guide my legs as I jump. The sound of my landing echoes. I have arrived at my destination. Before the lair of the beast stands a few more steps. I ponder the principle behind entering it.

To intrude upon the resting place of an animal...

How would I feel in that situation? Certainly, I would not care. But would animals?

I do not reach a clear conclusion. It seems, despite what choice I make, that contradictions will ensue.

No. If the beast is to take offence, then so be it. There is a time for philosophy and a time for keen judgement.

But that time is not this time. As an intruder of this wild battleground, it is best if my impact is as minimalized as possible.

I step into the moist cave in front of me. It feels peculiar. As if the air is a tangible piece of fruit, its contents almost give taste.

No. Perhaps not fruit.

The instant I enter, it is as if I am transported into another dimension. A world that operates on separate principles and rules than the one I'm used to. Far more encompassing than a single piece of food, it is a sensation that reaches beyond my tongue and to my whole body.

When my eyes adjust to the darkness within, I see why. From a distance away are uncountable amounts of relics. Ancient pieces of bestial remains, they stand as a testament to a great lineage and pride.

Truly, it is as if I am stepping into a sanctuary of apes. No one save for them should be here, and yet here I am. An intruder that trespasses yet does so for their own sake. I wonder if it is right.

Worse comes to worst. I shall take the ape in a duel again.

I lower the body in my hands and onto the wet floor. Still, in a deep stupor, I wonder what goes through the ape's mind. Be it a slumber of mighty combat or appetizing snacks. I pray for its wellbeing.

"Dream of large ape women, beast of this land."

My voice which rings throughout this cave, slips into the ape's ear. A final message from me before I part.

5