13. Mighty Wind
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scene before me is one out of a slaughter. Countless people are just dying, left and right. I say it's a slaughter because, well, what else could it be? It's a whole-heartedly one-sided battle where the enemies aren't even given a chance to fight back. Dropping like herds of beasts, their deaths are carried out indiscriminately. By the hands of those who remain oblivious to how they feel or their suffering, the parallels between them and animals seem all the more poignant.

Of course, unlike the slaughter of livestock, this one would have far greater consequences.

"What the hell are you thinking?"

The words that come out of my mouth don't have a shred of control or politeness to it. The time for that has passed.

"Well, besides just how satisfying it is to watch these filth drop like fleas, not much."

The elvish brat gives his usual smartass remark.

"I don't give a shit how enjoyable it is for you. What I mean is, why the hell are you doing this?"

Alidol expression changes. The little elf is surprised that I'm actually speaking up. At first, I think his face would shift to that contempt, but something about that seems wrong.

"Now, what type of response do you want?"

Instead, he approaches, looking ever so smug with himself. I guess even now; he has something to agonize me with.

"Would you have me narrate a long-winded monologue about all the troubles, sorrows and the damnation that is my existence?"

I try my best to stand steadfast and look him in the eye.

"Yeah, sure, just spit it out."

Alidol seems ecstatic at this response. I brace myself for yet another series of potentially condescending, snobbish, and rubbish words.

"Unfortunately, that would require a story that needs much more time than we have now, so we'll have to save it for another day."

My hands and legs tense. I'm not sure what's worse. Him actually telling a long ass story or this.

"So why the hell did you ask me in the first place if you're not going to care what I say?"

"Why, to give the illusion of choice, of course. And to test how you would react."

Of course, of course. He did it to torment me. How would I have guessed.

"Ha, alright then. So how about the short condensed version?"

Resolve flows through his body. As if experiencing some degree of immense satisfaction at my affirmation, he straightens up.

"Since you asked so politely, let me tell you."

Alidol leans in close and brushes his cheek against the side of my face.

"I'm declaring war on the Masectrum, of course."

Declaring war on The Masectrum. That idea seems wrong on so many levels. One of the great vampire coalitions of Wilshington, the very idea of fighting them seems absurd. And to add, from what I know, the Ulis-Felidius family have a truce with them.

This is the essential equivalent of declaring war on a country that is not only your own ally but most likely have artillery, infantry, and a military far beyond yours. In other words, complete and deranged suicide.

But, despite how insane all of this is, it still doesn't explain one thing.

"Why the hell are you dragging me into this?"

"Let me see..."

Alidol scratches his chin as he stares straight at me. Still smiling, he contemplates what to say with his cheery expression. Until he stops, for some reason, I see him shift his attention elsewhere. And not only that, but his smile disappears with it.

"Ah?"

Those are the words of someone who can't believe what's before them. Moreso, the type of sheer pleasured disbelief then outright denial, I have to admit I'm curious. Without much else to do, I follow his line of sight.

Ah, now I see why. On the quaint screen that we had since forgotten about, a certain someone appears. To be more accurate, it's more like they made themself noticeable. While formally a single figure among dozens, she now sticks out like a sore thumb. With blue hair, a fur trimmed coat, and the speed of a monkey on acid, there's no doubt about it.

"Mayevil?"

But. The explosion. No, it's definitely possible. Given her strength and aura, surviving something like that is far from improbable. After defeating a giant ape, and my brother, to just die to an explosion seems anti-climatic, if anything.

It's a shame.

To be honest, I feel kinda bad for putting her in this situation. All I needed from her was to be my bodyguard and help me with a few demands but at this rate...

Seeing the countless magical missiles fly across the room, I can't help but feel a slight amount of despair for her situation. All the exits in the room are completely sealed off, and the magical barrier to prevent escape is the equivalent of a nuclear bunker.

Well, if what the elf told me is true, that is. Taking everything into consideration, he could be full of shit, but at the same time...

Something about it just doesn't seem likely. Whether it be his shit-eating grin or his now once again suave face, I'm not sure.

However, a weird feeling nestles in my body. Mayevil's carrying someone in her arms, sure, but that still doesn't explain what she's thinking. Before I can contemplate what it could be, her body dashes across the room. In spite of all the overwhelming attacks and blows, it doesn't stop her. Charging forwards, she takes a moment to observe what lies before her.

A series of phantasmal doors to another place, could it be?

All of my doubts are destroyed the next instant. Like an ethereal breeze of wind that is far too beautiful for this world, she vanishes. Her body, in one beautiful arc, jumps through the doors. Through the darkness, and into wherever...

I snap myself back to reality.

Ok, why am I so fixated on her running first of all, and second, where do those black portals lead to? If my intuition serves right then, there should be mages behind those portals, which would mean...

Judging from the reaction of the elf next to me, who now holds the hand of his bodyguard, I think I have my answer.

"Prepare to leave, youth. It would seem that our enemy is more capable than we thought."

About time, the woman who has been but a still figure so far spoke up. Devoid of any emotion, movement, or presence up until this point, I have to say that I'm a little surprised. Because for all intents and purposes, I can't help but feel that she's sad.

2