14. Loxoria I
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There's no sound right now. Save for the hurried pants and footsteps upon the floor; there's practically no indication that anything is wrong. But if there's anything I know, it's that something is definitely very wrong. 

We walk through the hallways. There isn't anyone else besides us in these corridors. If my guess is right, I would assume that the rooms are soundproofed. But that just makes it all the more eerie. Without any way to hear or predict our enemy coming, I feel defenceless.

"Don't you have any detection magic that we can use?"

I direct that question to Alidol, who has been silent until now.

"Ha, funnily enough, all the rooms are covered by magic that specifically prevents any detection whatsoever."

After he says that, I understand. Why yes, of course. That would explain why the vampires didn't detect any presence of magic. But at the same time, we wouldn't either. Very very convenient, that's the exact damn problem with these types of spells. Equivalent exchange always plays a damn factor into it. If there's absolute strength, then there's an absolute weakness, and if you create some kind of backdoor, then the enemy would be able to access it too.

Dammit. I feel the sweat tumble into my eyes. Despite how much I try to take my mind off things, I still can't escape from it. This weird feeling...
This mix of confusion, angst and fear. What am I even supposed to do in this situation? 

My eyes analyze my surroundings for any route to escape. And after realizing that I have no idea, my eyes settle on the two people in front of me. From their backsides alone, there's not much I can determine. But, even so, I have to try to think.

All things considered, this scenario makes absolutely no sense. Besides the fact that we're currently on the run from a killer that just so happens to be my former or maybe current bodyguard, there's also the question of what Alidol knows about it. After all, he did see me with her earlier, so logically, he would assume that I know her, so logically, if we continue onto what the next step would be, then he would probably have me killed for treason or something. But then again, he also wants me to ally with him, and so far, he hasn't said anything, so maybe, just maybe, he didn't realize cause he's been thinking about other things?

I can't take this anymore. Worse than not knowing is the anticipation of what is to come and what to do. Just knowing that one false step would kill someone is enough to break any normal person. But I'm not a normal person. When I was born into this world, I left that privilege a long time ago.

To calm myself, I take a deep breath. If I'm to get the most out of this, I'm going to have to do it with a clear mind. Eyeing the duo before me, I try my best to assess their relative strength. It's a peculiar thought to have but, it certainly isn't that big of a stretch. 

Rather than focus on the consequences and reactions of those two, wouldn't it be better to just remove them from the equation entirely? Again, I take another deep breath. Something forces open the jacket I'm wearing. I feel a firm wooden object place itself in my hand. For a while, I don't understand what it is. The sensations are so odd that it feels like I'm being controlled by someone else. But then I understand. Far from the works of some master puppeteer or otherwordly domineer. No, all it is my instinct to survive and succeed, that's all.

In this calm before the inevitable storm, my body only does what it sees as natural. 

"Stay back, youth." 

The vampire must have felt what's coming. As per the instinct of a fighter, she readies herself. Even if I suspect neither me nor Alidol feels a thing, we make no attempt to question her judgement. 

A door opens. Erupting like the call of judgement, a single brown square swings from the far end of the corridor. 

It's Mayevil. Still, with the same stoic face and composure, there's almost no difference between her state now and before. It's strange. If we weren't stuck in these circumstances, one could even ask if she had been just a mere bystander. For even with all the killing she must have carried, there remains not a single sign of blood or tear on her being.

"State your name, straggler."

The vampire speaks those words as if it is a natural obligation for her enemy. In the meantime, her opponent's eyes do not move a hair's breadth. Rather than glare or be tainted by hubris, there's almost a clear tranquility that can be found within it.

"Mayevil." She declares in her usual tone. 

"Very well then, Mayevil. Let me introduce myself." 

Suddenly, two blades emerge. The weapons of choice of the vampire, she wields the two short single-edged blades in both of her respective hands. Simple and straightforward, there are no engravements or decorations to be found on it. In essence, they are tools made for killing, nothing more.

But, even with this declaration of arms, Mayevil does not seem satisfied.

"Would you be willing to let Vela go?"

A brief pause ensues before the vampire nods. I can't tell what's going through Mayevil's mind but, it certainly is possible that she thinks I'm held captive.  And from just my instinct, I suspect that she'll even leave without a fight if that request can be granted. 

"Would you also be willing to let a vampire known as Landidus go?"

Huh? None of us expects such a question. From Mayevil's tone, it's as if she's trying to negotiate peace. But to spare an enemy in such a time of war seems improbable. 

Perhaps sharing the same sentiment, the vampiress herself cannot answer. Unable to respond, she instead looks to the elf behind her.

Their eyes then intertwine. Is it regret or anger? Under the warm light and strict time given, I can't tell. Either way, my feelings on the matter are irrelvant. By the time the vampiress receives her answer, the next course of action is decided. The only solution to this confrontation is plain as day.

"As Loxoria con-Papillo, I hereby ask you to leave."

Her final warning reaches across the room.

"That is not possible."

Because that is an expected answer, the atmosphere in the air does not change. For all intents and purposes, the battle has already begun. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2