Prologue Part 1 – Ragnarok
3k 7 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Apathy. As Loki lay bound by his son Nari’s entrails, with a serpent dripping poison on his face, scarring whatever was left of a once handsome face, he felt nothing.

Sigyn, Loki’s wife was allowed as part of this cruel punishment to hold a bowl on top of Loki’s head to stop the venom from burning his face. However, every time the bowl fills up, she has to go and empty the bowl before doing so again. In the meantime, his face would burn from the venom.

She was only allowed to do that, and not allowed to block the venom with anything else. This tortured not only Loki, but Sigyn as well, as she had to endure an endless sleepless existence holding and emptying a bowl to save her husband from torture.

At this stage he didn’t care anymore about the sequence of events that lead up to this point. The Asgardians had gone too far, even killing his son Nari and using his entrails to bind him.

Not long ago, he felt rage at the absurdity of it all happening like this. But now that the end is upon them all, he felt that his undeserved cruel punishment upon Asgard was justly brought upon those cruel Asgardians.

The Asgardians were preparing for war as three of the nine realms gathered their forces to destroy Asgard.

Why? Because Odin the All-Father had declared that Loki was to be executed for the murder of Baldr, the favored son of Odin.

In response, both his sons Jormungandr the World Serpent and Fenrir the Wolf have gathered the giants of Jotun against Asgard in revenge, with his daughter Hela, the Goddess of Death, and her undead forces of Helheim following behind them.

The forces gathered around Asgard for days, their marching causing small tremors all around Asgard, causing the Gods of Asgard to tremble in anticipation.

Suddenly a loud horn sounded. Although it was the sound of a horn, it was also a sound unlike anything else anyone has ever heard before. It really sounded like a horn that was to herald the end of everything.

“Gjallar!” yelled one of the guards and they all abandoned their posts and started running out of the building with their arms drawn, leaving only two guards to guard Loki.

Gjallar was the famous horn of Heimdall, the guardian of the Golden Bridge. And the horn being blown signified Ragnarok, the foretold end of the world for the Norse Gods.

As Sigyn tried her best to block the dripping venom from landing on his face with a bowl, a sudden large tremor caused the venom to spill on her hands, burning her and causing her to scream in pain.

The whole jail chamber was left in tatters by the earthquake, the door busted open and a the serpent was smashed and trapped by a large piece of the roof.

Sigyn lay on the floor in a daze as the venom badly burned her hands. She got up trembling and looking around, still absent mindedly holding the bowl with the venom in it.

“Quickly. Pour the venom on my bindings” Loki ordered as the guards around the place were distracted.

Sigyn quickly followed his instructions and although it burned his hands and feet, the venom burned off the entrails that were binding him in place.

He grabbed her hand and started running out of the place, saving some venom and splashing a portion on the two remaining guard’s faces, blinding them and letting him escape.

“What are you going to do? Your sons are attacking Asgard to free you. Are you going to help them? Or stop them?” Sigyn asked.

Suddenly there was another large earthquake, followed by incredibly loud lightning strikes all around followed by loud uniform yells “For Asgard!” by a multitude of Asgardians.

“It’s the Trickster. He’s escaping” yelled one of the Gods as Loki and Sigyn ran out of the building.

Trickster? In his life, Loki has done many things, both for the good of Asgard, and otherwise. He has been described as the God of Mischief, the God of Change, some have even called him the God of Hope, considering how many times he has rescued Asgard and gotten the Gods and Goddesses out of trouble.

“What will they call me next I wonder? Apparently, they blame everything on me” he cursed to himself.

“Kill the God of Evil! This is all his fault” another voice yelled in his direction.

“Fuck me. They call me the God of Evil now?” Loki thought as he ran between buildings still holding Sigyn’s hand.

He looked in the sky and watched Thor fly towards a gigantic serpent-like creature, it’s head was larger than the whole city of Asgard.

“Jormungandr!” he thought has he watched his son the World Serpent battle Thor the God of Thunder, and his half-brother.

As he rushed halfway over the Bifrost the Rainbow Bridge, he saw Heimdall, Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge, blocking his path.

This brought about a roar from all sides, from Asgard as well as all the enemies of Asgard surrounding it as they simultaneously attacked. Heimdall then drew a huge broadsword and charged at Loki.

Loki threw a small portion of venom at Heimdall's face which he saved from the serpent that tortured him. Heimdall screamed in pain as his face was covered with the strong venom.

Heimdall’s unmatched eyesight, hearing, smell and taste were what gave him the position as the Guardian of the Golden Bridge. It would be near impossible to escape him, thus Loki knew he had to disable him.

Heimdall roared as the venom blinded his eyes and entered his mouth and nose, burning his ultra sensitive senses.

Loki rushed past him and looked ahead. This was way beyond anything he has experienced. The Asgardians are always making war with the armies of Jotunn giants, with the ice giants of Niflheim, or the fire demons of Myspelheim. But nothing comes close to this.

Suddenly loud noises came nearly simultaneously from both the north and the south. The the flaming giant demon Surtur and his demonic forces poured out of fiery Muspelheim while at the same time, the gigantic ice giant Ymir and his army of ice giants poured out of the icy Niflheim.

Loki could see the panicked faces of the Asgardians, and also the confused faces of Hel and the giants of Jotunn. Both fire and ice forces attacked indiscriminately, killing both the defending Asgardians as well as the attacking forces of Loki's sons.

He heard Thor roar as he charged towards Fenrir, but was intercepted by Jormungandr the World Serpent. He was so huge, his full body was not even in the battlefield, only his head and a part of his body could be seen. But even his head and a small part of his body already covered a quarter of the battlefield extending beyond eyesight.

In one clash, Thor was thrown deep into Asgard, smashing buildings as he was crashed through them. At the same time, Jormungandr's head was smashed into the mountains nearby, tilting the whole continent of Asgard by a few degrees, causing everyone to stumble like sailors on a boat in the middle of a heavy storm.

Thor stood up and summoned all his godly might. With every ounce of strength he had and imbuing Mjolnir his magic hammer with all the power of lightning he could muster, he threw his hammer at Jormungandr, who had recovered and was charging at Thor.

The hammer smashed through Jormungandr's head killing him instantly. But Jormungandr's momentum brought his body crashing down onto Asgard smashing Thor as well as countless gods that were around him crushing them with his enormous body. It was uncertain if Thor survived it, as there was no movement from the rubble.

Loki who was still running on the rainbow bridge, suddenly stopped. Another of his sons, Joemungandr had been killed.

Suddenly Loki's son Fenrir, the giant wolf, roared in anger and opened his mouth and swallowed Odin, the Ruler of Asgard, and Loki's step-father.

As Fenrir chomped down, blood spurted out of his mouth, and a shockwave spread outwards buffeting everyone around with a faint energy.

Everyone suddenly paused and looked, as they knew and felt in their hearts that Odin had died. Loki looked with disbelief.

Suddenly he felt a sharp pain from his chest and looked in shock and surprise at the sword that exited his chest as he vomited blood

“You've gone too far this time Loki. You've brought doom to us all. Your evil will never again infect Asgard!” said Heimdall with satisfaction as he whispered in Loki's ear.

Heimdall was still blinded and incapacitated by the venom, but his supernatural senses still allowed him to function better than most Gods.

He placed his foot on Loki's back and pulled his sword out, leaving Loki in a prone position as he raised his sword to behead him.

As he chopped his sword down, Loki felt his body being shoved hard out of the way, causing him to roll to the edge of the Rainbow bridge, nearly falling off.

He looked up limply in surprise only to see his wife Sigyn cleaved in half by Heimdall's sword as she pushed him to safety.

Loki should feel rage at the brutal killing of his wife. However, he felt nothing, just cold detachment.

Heimdall wiped his eyes in shock, realizing that he killed the wrong person.

"That's another life that you are to answer for" roared Heimdall as he charged at Loki

Loki stared at Heimdall, then back at the battle. Fenrir was already killed by several Gods. Hela was standing aside, absorbing all the death. At the end, she always wins doesn’t she?

Loki smiled wryly and voluntarily rolled his fatally wounded body off the Rainbow Bridge to certain death, not giving Heimdall the pleasure of killing him.

Heimdall stared at the disappearing figure of Loki in fury as he spat at him and roared in anger.

Loki simply laughed madly to himself as he tumbled backwards, down the world tree. After what seemed like eternity, his fall came to an abrupt halt as his body smashed into a body of water at the root of the world tree.

Although every bone in his body was shattered and his body was no more than a mess of flesh and bone, his mind suddenly opened to endless knowledge and wisdom. "This is Mimir, the spring of knowledge and wisdom? I've always wanted to come here, but it's a forbidden site by Odin. How ironic and pointless now that I am dying" thought Loki as his bloody body mixed with the water.

Moments later everything went dark.

43