3.7 Shoot
184 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up to my body being jostled around. It all hurt. Every muscle felt like I had just worked it specifically for hours on end. Every bounce reinforced the pain and made me groan.

"Oh, good. You're awake."

I opened my eyes to see Zef running next to me.

I groaned again in response. Under my hands, I felt fur. My heavy eyes blinked and looked at it. I was draped over a blonde coat of fur, with brown spots—Tigala's fur. Hanging over her shoulder, I looked across her back and found an unconscious Lolan draped over the other shoulder.

Tigala's run slowed and she stooped down to the ground, placing my feet on it. "You need to run if you can. We're too slow with me carrying both of you," she said.

I stood on shaky legs and looked around. The forest looked different like it was moving along with us. I blinked my eyes hard and looked again. It was moving!

Bushes and plants were thrashing about, still rooted in the rich forest soil. Branches swatted back and forth above us. The veins of energy occasionally burst, releasing magical blasts into the greenery around it, and adding them to the other hoards of moving plants.

A tree creature, like the one created by the troll accidentally, barrelled out of the foliage at us, thrashing wildly. Tigala quickly shifted her good hand into a claw and struck the chaotic monster in the chest. It stumbled back and then came at her in another charge. Tigala grabbed the monster by its neck and kicked hard at its waist while pulling up. The head cracked and then popped off. The green light dissipated from its core, and it laid there, unmoving.

"There's more of them?" I said amazed.

"Looks like whatever you did animate the whole forest. Nearly every plant we've seen so far." Zef said.

"Woah! That really happened?" I said, wishing it was a dream.

"I'm afraid so," said Zef.

I shook my head. "Wait, where's Chipry?"

Zef showed me Chipry held in his cupped hands. He looked a little worse for wear, with ruffled feathers and tired eyes. "I've got him. I grabbed him before the tree blew. He might be hurt, and my magic isn't much help right now anyway."

"Be careful with him," I said.

"Come on. We need to move. Can you run?" asked Tigala as she looked at me.

"I think so," I said.

She barely waited for me to answer before she led the way through the forest with Lolan hanging limp on her back.

That poor kid. He can't catch a break. I hope he's okay.

We ran, dodging swinging branches and flailing bushes. The smaller plants at our feet tried to trip us up and hold our feet down. Most of them were too week to really do anything though.

"Can you help at all? Calm the plants maybe?" asked Zef.

I tried to use my magic to attempt to control some of them, but it was weak. Not only that, but it was more chaotic than anything I had felt with my magic before. Like a wildfire, the magic fired at random and then dissolved into the air. Controlling it was like trying to catch a fly in your fingertips. I could slow the plants at best, but there was no way I was going to control them or use them in any way.

"Not really. I think I'm tapped out or something," I said.

"That's what I was afraid of," said Zef.

Tigala hurdled over a fallen tree while Zef and I slid under it. I thought I saw something through the brush. I stepped on a branch of the fallen tree to get a better view and found the bear-like Beastfolk fighting off three more tree monsters. On his shoulder, he carried Lobo, unconscious.

"Hey, the bear Beastfolk is over there. He's out-numbered. He has Lobo with him but Lobo's not moving," I said. Everyone else stopped to look.

"His name's Raffa, and who cares? They did this to themselves," said Tigala.

"I'm the one who created the living forest. We can't just leave them here," I said.

"Yes, we can. You did this because they made you. That's what they do. They push until you break. Except this time it backfired," said Tigala.

Zef said, "I think we should help. Think about what happens if we show up at camp and all but one or two of Lobo's crew return. They'll probably suspect we did it because we were closest on the map."

"I'll vouch for you," said Tigala. Her face wrinkled more and more with anger the longer we spoke.

"They'll think you helped us plot whatever this is. You've worked with us before. It'll look like we planted you to lead Lobo's team to the right place. We need them. At least one of them," I said.

"Ahgg," Tigala grunted as she slashed through a tall grassy plant that had been whipping around in front of her the whole time we spoke. She stomped off in the direction of Raffa. Zef and I followed.

We ran through the forest hacking at anything around us that moved. Up ahead, Raffa had destroyed one of the tree monsters, but the other two remained. He fought one head-on while the other tried to sneak around his back where the top half of Lobo's limp body was without defense.

"Raffa," I shouted, trying to warn him of the attack. He whirled around with a confused look on his face, but the sudden movement set the tree monster off course when it lunged. It dove at Raffa's side instead of his back and he swatted it away. Well, that kind of worked, I thought.

Raffa roared and then began to shift much like I had seen Tigala do before. There was an orange glow and the reorienting of bones in unnatural ways, and then, he was an actual grizzly bear instead of his normal Beastfolk form. Lobo slid off of Raffa's back without an arm holding him in place, and Raffa stepped over his unconscious body to protect it. Then he looked at Tigala.

"Let me be. You won, okay?" yelled Raffa, looking mangy and worn.

"We want to help!" said Zef. "You'll both die out here otherwise."

"I can handle myself," Raffa said swiping at an oncoming tree creature. His giant claw hit and sent the creature hurtling through a bush.

"He doesn't want help. Let's go," said Tigala.

"We can't just leave them," I said.

Tigala said, "Yes we can. They just attacked us. They tried to execute you."

I hadn't thought about it in those terms. They did try to execute me. Was I really better off saving them? Rodrigo would probably assume the worst regardless of who we come back with. Even if I somehow managed to get one of them to tell the truth about this whole thing, Lobo would still be out there, wanting to kill me. In fact, saving him might make it worse. It might bruise his precious ego, being saved by a Treek.

I looked at Tigala with anger and frustration displayed on her face as visible as a torch in the night. I looked at Lolan slumped over her back. He had taken a chance on me. I was alive because of that chance and it made me respect him. I needed to get him back safely and I needed more allies if we were going to make it out of here. And even ignoring all of that, they might die out here without help.

"I'm going to help him," I said to Tigala, looking straight into her eyes.

I ran forward, my body still screaming from the aches of all of the torment it had been through already that day, but I didn't care. Raffa and Lobo were probably going to die out here without help, and even though they forced me to do it, it was my nature magic that got us here. I couldn't just leave. I was the one to awaken this forest, and Treeks already get a bad enough rap without me adding a search-party-killing living forest to the list.

Raffa saw me from the corner of his eye and probably could have swung a claw my way, but he hesitated. One of the tree monsters dove on his back as we locked eyes, and he roared, furiously trying to swat it off of him. Raffa stood on his hind feet and turned to the creature that had slid off onto the forest floor. He landed on it with both front paws and wrapped his powerful jaws around its head. There was a crunch and the creature went limp.

While Raffa was occupied with that one, he missed the monster that he had previously swatted away charging back into the fray. But it wasn't after Raffa. It saw Lobo's limp body, now behind the grizzly bear, and ran for it instead.

I drew my knife and reached the creature before it reached Lobo. My knife struck it in the abdomen with enough force that the blade pierced its bark exterior. When I pulled it back out, green energy began spilling out of its side, running down it like alien blood.

It howled at me and began clawing at my face. I kicked it back and tried once again to use my magic. It still felt just as weak, but I had an idea. It had always been easier to drain the energy out of a magically made plant than to put it in. Maybe it would be the same with these creatures.

I focused on its heart, its core, and pulled, but it didn't work as I expected. I was used to pulling the energy back through the ground as everything I had made was rooted, but these creatures were not tied to the ground. Instead, I had to pull the energy straight from them. I followed the energy to its source, the core, and drained it out of the small hole I had made in its side. It was working, but it was slow—too slow.

The creature crashed into me tackling me to the ground. I continued to focus on draining it despite the commotion. It raised a hand to slash and right before it struck, the creature slowed then stopped moving entirely. Its core went dark and it sat on top of me, stiff, like an odd wooden sculpture.

I shoved it off and saw another tree monster running into the small clearing. It spotted Lobo's unconscious body and hobbled toward it. Hoping I would have enough time, I focused on its core as Raffa got ready to intercept it. But before either of us could act, Tigala tore through it in tiger form. It rolled and made a sound like an old tree creaking in the wind as the energy faded from it.

Raffa looked at me with confusion. "What do you want from me?" he asked. "You're not getting Lobo." He stepped back over Lobo's body for emphasis.

"We're trying to help. We'll be safer together," I said.

He studied my face. "Why would you help me?" he asked.

I thought about it for a moment. I had been asked this question enough times in the last few minutes that you'd think I would have a good answer. It did seem wrong to work with other races. I had been told not to since birth, and it had been reinforced over and over again since then. But there was something here. There was something about this strange group I found myself a part of. Maybe they would all betray me eventually, but for the first time in a long time, there were people who knew I was a Treek and didn't try to kill me whenever they had a chance. There were people that trusted me on some level.

I looked at Raffa and said, "Because whatever is going on here, on Daegal, it's bigger than our racial hatred of one another. One less person out here means one less person to help find the lost."

Sure, there were plenty of other reasons I wanted to help, but that was the biggest one. I thought of mother and our magic lessons together. I thought of father and the time we spent by the fire talking about what a Treek village was like. I had to find them. I had to try.

He growled, his eyes darting between us. He arched his back and said, "I don't need your help. Go away." With that, the grizzly bear charged at me. I ducked back into the forest brush, and he didn't pursue—a bluff charge.

Then, there was a loud groan from deep in the forest. It was followed by a ripping and snapping sound and then an earth-shaking slam. Everyone looked in the direction of the sound and saw an entire tree, uprooting itself. Its trunk split into to massive leg like columns and the tree began to walk through the forest.

? Issues - Kindle eBook & Paperback
 
 
Thank you to my patrons on ? Patreon:

Spoiler

J. C. Weston, Novagirl93, Joshua Gore

[collapse]

12