[V1-Prologue]. Date
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue. Date

Year 1003—outside Astron City
Abyssal Cliff

 

“Report to Station Aurora—Cart Halo received visuals of the incoming Monstra horde, requesting further instructions.”

 

“This is Station Aurora relaying Cart Halo; further instructions received: engage in combat permitted.”

 

“Roger, Station Aurora—Cart Halo will engage in combat.”

 

Ophelia reported before the sound of a plastic object smashing towards the floor entered from my right ear. I could see the figures of fifteen different enormous Monstras with each akin to a minotaur in mythologies but with a plain white, grid-like appearance carried with a pink and blue outline that distinguished their strength.

 

“Those bastards are telling us to engage in combat against fifteen of these weak, damned monsters. Are they crazy after having Stratson Laboratory become some sort of failure?”

 

“They did go crazy, wasting resources to let us do these easier tasks but we are still paid for it so act according to plan, take down the weaker ones while I’ll handle the remaining, do you understand?”

 

“Yeah, yeah—be sure to gun them hard, Iris.”

 

“Roger…”

 

After our short discussion, Ophelia took out a minuscule, metallic cube and smashed it as the shards turned into an assault rifle akin to the ancient AK-47 but unlike the ancient one, the one she has looked a lot like a Monstra but with the holographic symbol of an Aurora-colored feather at the side.

 

We both looked at each other and nodded before I looked back into the sniper rifle and pulled the trigger once, readjust, and pulled again before repeating the process five times until all the ones with the pink outline were dead.

 

In mere seconds after the last one died, Ophelia took to action and hopped from the cliff, throwing a grappling hook towards another nearby cliff which led her to hang between the two cliffs as she aimed her rifle at the remaining Monstras.

 

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

 

Multiple bullets shot out from her rifle at a tremendous pace, sniping down the heads of the minotaur-like Monstras one after another until their blue blood rained down from the skies like a shower.

 

It took her a minute before all the Monstras were massacred, she then shot a thumbs up to me before throwing another grappling hook towards the cliff I was and rifled down the previous grappling hook, allowing her to climb her way back with a thumbs up towards me.

 

“It was an easier job than I had expected. Are those bastards trying to waste our time by calling us down to beat up some low-level Monstras?!”

 

“I have no idea what the higher-ups are thinking, but the amount of Monstras are rising these days. Do you think this has something to do with the Stratson Library incident?”

 

“Dunno, but these Monstras sure are increasing more than in the past—almost as if some kind of Regina appeared and is preparing for some crappy full-scale war or some crap.”

 

“You shouldn’t plant death flags like that, Ophelia. I don’t want to lose my life this early into adulthood—I still have my adorable daughter to play around with.”

 

“Yeah, yeah…”

 

Ophelia sighed before kicking the radio up in the air and grabbing it. She looked at the radio for a second before pressing the button on it as she reported.

 

“Reporting to Station Aurora—Cart Halo has completed objective. We are now returning back to base.”

 

“This is Station Aurora to Cart Halo; request back to the base has been granted. Krauon KB-2217 will be coming to retrieve both of you in a second.”

 

After the little ping pong with the station, Ophelia then threw the radio far and far away before looking up at the skies as an enormous metallic space-plane covered the skies above us.

 

The space plane was identical to ancient spacecraft written in history akin to the mysterious UFOs with its rounded edges and matte black paint with beautiful side-lights.

 

It took a few moments before the Krauon hovered in front of us with a ramp that led to the inside of the plane. Both of us didn’t waste a single second and hopped inside with the captain of the ship standing in front of us with a salute.

 

“Congratulations on completing your task for today, Officer Iris and Officer Stella.”

 

“Thank you, Plane Captain. Auria.”

 

I smiled at the captain who nodded before the ramp behind us closed as she tapped on her wristwatch which showed a holographic model of the world, she then typed in: Astron City before the view went closer to the model—revealing a beautiful, enormous floating island the size of Ancient Russia with multiple skyscrapers and towers.

 

Astron City’s reputation as one of the most beautiful founding cities is not to be joked about at all, despite being walled with thick reinforced concrete mixed with the blood of Monstras, the plain white, grid-like walls still added to the beauty paired with the translucent glass dome that protects it from any aerial-type Monstras.

 

It took a single second from the moment she tapped on the CONFIRM button before the side door of the Krauon opened, revealing a tunnel that led towards the port—it was fast enough to make every mind unable to register for a minute.

 

After regaining from our mind’s confusion, both Ophelia and I hopped out of the Krauon and entered inside the port where thousands of people were coming in and out of different Krauons, Kauldrons, and other forms of transportation.

 

“Do you want to come with me for a meal, Iris?”

 

“No need. I’ll be fetching my daughter from her class today.”

 

“I see, take care then!”

 

“Same. I’ll be catching you later, Ophelia!”

 

I waved my hand towards Ophelia who also waved the same before the two of us went different ways. The spaceport was filled with different holographic ads that attracts a lot of people since the ads tend to be focused on food which is what most traveling people would love to go first after a tiring journey.

 

After exiting the port, I then looked around before waving towards a taxi who soon hovered in front of me with its doors open. Entering inside, my spine felt so much comfort as I told the taxi driver.

 

“Astron Elementary School.”

 

The taxi driver nodded and drove off without a single question. Looking out at the window, I’ve been reminded again of the sheer scale of Astron City despite how long I’ve lived here—it was one of the largest cities to exist inside the union, only smaller than the capital city of Stella.

 

From the skyscrapers to the beautiful, minimalistic homes—it was a cozy, peaceful city—one that is best to retire and relax. It was also stable politically than most cities under the operations of Aurora and the Astron Government Body both of which wield the greatest powers in the city.

 

“Till this day, investigators are unable to figure out the cause of the Stratson Laboratory incident, but many leading investigators are pointing their fingers towards the fact that the employees have rebelled against Station Aurora and hid—but some are also speculating that Station Aurora was attempting to create a different kind of humans. What are your opinions?”

 

The radio broadcasted. If there was an incident that is more infamous today, then it would be the Stratson Laboratory wherein a hundred employees vanished without a trace that investigators could use to conclude.

 

Ophelia and I were once dispatched to the place to investigate, but despite all the sensors attached to us and other kinds of instruments to monitor Monstra Energy, there were no results and the Station ended up giving up on dispatching us any longer there.

 

I still remember the eeriness inside the laboratory. A laboratory that was once full of life was empty to the very smallest corners—the cameras, laboratory internal sensors and everything showed a clean record—almost unreal.

 

“We are here, young lass.”

 

“Thank you…”

The taxi driver informed. I scanned the QR Code that was shown at the side with the holographic window in front of me. The window then displayed a receipt that indicated the success of the purchase.

 

Transaction Complete: AERIA TAXIWAYS

You have paid a total of 100 ASTRA to AERIA TAXIWAYS* ASTRON with the following additional information: TAXI-9021

 

Date: Nov. 26, 1003

Reference ID: 88123-AADC-IRIS-2FORAT
Customer Name: Iris Stella

 

I hopped out of the taxi soon after saving the receipt. Astron Elementary School was an enormous school that was akin to a modernized palace with gardens of beautiful flowers and fountains all over the place—it was regarded as the most prestigious in the city and also one of the most prestigious in the Union with hefty admission fees and exams.

 

“Maamaaa!”

 

Yurika with her adorable pastel-pink hair tied in a ponytail ran towards me. I lowered myself a bit and caught her as she wrapped her hands around my neck, planting kisses onto my cheeks like the adorable little girl she was.

 

“Yurika, how was class? Did you hurt someone again, do I need to go to the principal office today?”

 

“Mama…!”

 

She puffed up her cheeks which made me giggle. It was our internal joke where Yurika would cause up trouble in school now and then, smashing people to the ground and so forth like her Dad. The two are similar in their physical strength aspect, but of course, her beauty and temper come from me!

 

“I don’t hurt anyone! Mama is the one who hurts people by shooting them, even Papa is afraid of you!”

 

“Hahaha! I understand, do you want Mama’s delicious spaghetti today?”

 

“Again?!”

 

“You shouldn’t be picky, my sweet daughter!”

 

“Bu—but Mom! You can’t cook anything else other than third-rate spaghetti…”

 

“Did you say anything?”

 

“No…”

 

After “threatening” my daughter, the two of us then hooked up a taxi who soon drove us back to our home which was a twenty-minute drive. The scale of this city sure makes moving around places take forever, to be exact, there are several sectors of the city that organizes the city.

 

The first sector, otherwise known as the City Body, is the center is where the Aurora Station and the Astron Government Body are located. It is a confidential and secure space there where not everyone can come in and go out in one piece.

 

The second sector is a bit distanced from the first sector which is the emergency sector where the main headquarters of emergency stations such as fire drones, city monitors, police, and the military are located.

 

The third sector is the business sector where most businesses are located, including schools, this is a huge sector that takes up around 40% of the total space in the city and is enormous.

 

The last sector is the residential sector which is where all residents are located and take up another 40% of the total space in the city, leaving the remaining 20% to the first two sectors and also to the empty sector which is where the docks and others are located.

 

“Welcome home, Madam and Young Miss…”

 

A maid greeted us upon reaching our small, two-story mansion. It was small but was luxurious enough with a mini fountain, a full garden, and several vehicles located in different garages which were paid with the incomes of that man and mine.

 

“Please take Yurika to her room and help her take a bath. Has that man arrived yet or did he leave some sort of message?”

 

“The Master hasn’t returned from his mission, Madam but he did leave a message earlier stating the following: Don’t ever try to make any meals! EVER!”

 

The maid imitated my husband’s “imagined” expression which made me puff my cheeks. I know I can’t cook anything, but I still want to learn cooking and everything… am I cursed in that section of abilities?

“Rude…”

 

I kept it simple and rolled my eyes to erase the message from my head before heading inside the house while taking off my hoodie and hanging it on the hanger and rushing towards the comfortable sofa.

 

Welcome home, Madam.

Do you wish to watch your usual television show?

 

“Please open the usual channel, Arya.”

 

After receiving my response, the television lit up with the channel that I wanted but once again, it was clouded with advertisements of food, clothing, and makeup which were kind of useless to me now that I am filled with them.

 

I’ve read about it once, but it seems like the concept of advertisements being everywhere came from the times before Year Zero. Televisions functioned as it was a thousand years back but a bit more advanced—to be honest, according to historians, our world is just the modern world if given a thousand years but smaller and with actual monsters and powers.

 

Amidst my sweet, television-viewing session, a certain dimwit started to call through the holographic window. It was a simple calling window from the caller id: “Dimwit” and knowing how much he rants, I decided to press the REJECT button only for the window to appear again.

 

I repeatedly pressed the REJECT button several dozen more times before blowing up in rage as I surrendered and press the ANSWER button while shouting: “WHAT DO YOU WANT, YOU DIMWIT?!”

 

“Oh! There comes the raging Iris!”

 

“YOU…! What do you want?!”

 

“Are you home already, sweetie?”

 

“I am. What are you calling me for, dimwit?!”

 

“Aww! I was wondering since I will take a little longer on my mission. The investigation here isn’t leading to any progress at all, it’s a big waste of money.”

 

“The Stratson Laboratory Incident? I don’t think anyone will be able to find a clue about what happened that day. It’s almost like the Regina of Space had appeared and taken everyone away without leaving a trace.”

 

“All of us are thinking the same, but that should be impossible since the Regina of Space hasn’t shown herself for a long time now since Year -1. I’m looking at this more of another Pseudo-Regina or some sort of massive scheme that the workers there came up with.”

 

“Whatever, I don’t hear to about the incident. Are you calling me to rant about your investigation or do you have anything else better to talk about?”

 

“No… I am calling you to remind you once again to NEVER EVER GO TO THE KITCHEN! Let our Yurika cook instead, she didn’t inherit your bad cooking genetics!”

 

“You are one rude husband. Do you think I won’t divorce you?”

 

‘I am sorry, Madam Iris! Please don’t divorce this pleb of a husband!”

 

“Yeah, yeah… whatever!”

 

I didn’t bother and hung up the call. Although he was sweet, he was also quite the teaser which isn’t bad but my ego hurts! His calls  now and then tend to remind me of how work has deteriorated our time together, I still remember when the two of us met during a very dangerous mission that almost cost both of our lives.

 

Remembering that day makes me laugh a bit since it was still when I was a newbie in the team where fighting against fifteen Monstras like earlier is impossible and is, in simple terms, suicide.

 

“Mamaaa!”

Yurika’s voice echoed from the second floor, I turned around and saw her running down towards me before hugging me tightly. She looked at me with expectant eyes while asking in a loud voice.

 

“Did Papa call today?”

 

“He just called a few moments ago, he won’t be coming back this week again. It seems like his work is still as busy as ever. Ah right, he told me that you know how to cook—why don’t you let me taste your cooking?”

 

“Ah!”

 

Yurika’s cheeks blushed. She shook her head while looking at me with her puppy eyes, holding onto my hands as she pleaded in a soft, adorable voice.

 

“I am too inexperienced to cook, Mama. How about we eat outside for today?”

 

“Are you hungry for some food that you’ve found online again?”

 

In an instant, she looked away and started to whistle before taking out her phone and showing to me the website of Jollihoney with peach mango pie, spaghetti, and some chicken on the cart. I stared at my daughter with dread as she continued to look away.

 

Yurika was like most modern children, someone who likes to be influenced by the internet and it isn’t a surprise that she likes to eat out a lot although there isn’t anything bad with that though considering how I can’t cook.

 

Jollihoney was also an ancient yet still flourishing fast-food chain that started in the now-gone country of the Philippines. I haven’t tried it yet, but I did hear about my coworkers gossiping about how good the food there is.

 

I’ve also read about it in the past, and it wasn’t a fast-food that was recreated by someone like McJoe’s but rather it was a fast-food whose founders’ bloodline continued forward which makes it even more interesting since it still has the blood of its founders.

 

“Okay. You should go change your clothes since we’ll be going for a daughter-mother date today, be sure to also pick what you think would suit my tastes more. If you manage to satisfy my tastebuds, then I’ll buy you brand new toys.”

 

“Yay!”

 

She ran upstairs in an excited mood. I smiled while looking at my daughter as she asked the maid to help her change. It took her minutes before she came back down in a fitting white A-line dress paired with a plain white hat that brought out her beauty. She was fit to be a model and even one of the most beautiful out there, but I don’t want her to enter into such industries at all.

 

“Mamaaa! Let’s go!”

 

I nodded before the two of us walked out of the house with her messaging her dear friends via a messaging app on her phone, ignoring her dear mother who was lonely, but it was still fine since it showed that she wasn’t lonely at all, making me happier.

2