Chapter 9
218 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before we left the office Xedne gave me the coin she promised as well as a key. The coins were 60 silver pieces and 60 copper. The coins were on a string loop each; the coins have a hole in them to facilitate that. The full string of silver coins that I got is worth 1 gold, the full copper string is worth 1 silver. I guess the number was chosen because it has lots of factors? It works well enough.

The key was for my room, since this adventurer's guild apparently also does lodgings. I'll need to pay 30 copper a day for the room starting from tomorrow. This feels like she's telling me to get to work. I put the money and the key into my bag.

We went downstairs and back into the main room I had initially entered the building from. I'm still not sure if this is a pub or bar or tavern or maybe it's just a restaurant? We went up to the counter.

"You can order to eat here, or anywhere else in town if you want. Once you become a metal card adventurer, food here is free. The menu is up above. Anything catch your eye?"

I looked up and saw a listing of a number of items, although there was little I recognized. In terms of price though most cost around 10 copper. I haven't had to worry about money for a while so this feels a bit weird.

"Sorry, I can't tell what's what. I'm good with anything though." I've never really been too picky about food, although that's gotten me to eat some rather strange things over the years.

"Koskette for the both of us, please."

The person behind the counter nodded, grabbed a bunch of ingredients and cut them up, put them on a pan and fried it, then got some dough, wrapped it up, and the dough grew and browned into bread within his hands. The two koskette went onto trays and were given to us. The entire process happened in less than a minute. Is this cooked properly? Was that the power of Skills?

We took the trays with the koskette and Xedne led us to a table, where Yaten and Kala happened to be at. They looked at us with surprised faces.

"Hello. I apologise for borrowing Yuri-Ann for so long, you can have her back now. Kala, how are you doing?"

"I… I'll be fine. I just need some time."

"Of course. Losing a friend like that must be difficult. Well, I'll leave the three of you here to enjoy your meal now." And she left the three of us together at one table.

I sat down at a seat and put my tray onto the table. These two did say they were going to take care of me, I guess that starts now? They were already in the middle of their meal, so I took out my utensils case and from a fork and knife and started eating the koskette. Kala and Yaten looked amused when they saw this. The koskette was fairly tasty, a mix of some meat and vegetables I don't recognize baked in bread. This seemed like something adventurers would take out and eat on a quest.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" Yaten asked.

"Here and there." You don't really live as long as I have without learning how to fight at least a big.

"I thought you were going to be more of a mage, but you're quite a staff fighter, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not really that good at fighting with the staff." I've seen people way better at staff fighting than I am. "I prefer to work on my magic more. …On that thought, is it okay for me to use this staff?"

Kala looked at my face for a while, then looked to the side. "It's fine, take it. It's not like it's of any use to Latet anymore, and you can make better use of it than either of us."

"But, what about her family?"

"If her family tries to take that staff away from you, tell me and I'll give them my fist. They don't deserve anything of hers."

That's… um… What should I say?

"Kala's known Latet for much longer than I have, so I can't say much, but if she thinks you should have the staff, you should trust her." Yaten noted.

I nodded. "Okay."

"So, are you a noble's daughter or something?" Kala asked. "You have rather refined movements, you have silver utensils on you, and you also have rather strange clothes."

"Um… maybe. I'm not sure." I really don't know where I came from; that's before even my earliest memories.

After we finished eating, Yaten spoke. "So, what do you plan to do? Like, for the evening. We usually just chill out here now if there's nothing else. What about you?"

"Hm…" I thought about the question for a bit. "Well, I think I will retire to my room. I've had a rather busy day and have much to think about. That would be it for the night."

"Gotcha. Since we're going to be a team now, tomorrow morning, come here for breakfast and we can talk about what we can do then. You okay with your room?"

"Yes, Xedne gave me a key for one. I should be fine finding my way there."

He nodded and I moved towards a set of stairs in the restaurant area that went up to the lodgings. It's the evening, getting close to night now, so it'll be my vampire side's turn soon. Tonight will be interesting.

…Conversations are difficult. I hope I'm doing this right. Or rather, I'm assuredly doing this wrong, but not too wrong, I hope. All these parts are rather short when I think of them but ends up much longer than I expected. Was hoping I could fit this and the next into one chapter, but nope. I think I more or less have up to the next morning planned right now, at least in terms of events and such.

The more I write the more I want to revise stuff from before. Well, whatever. I think things are going okay right now.

9