Chapter 10
214 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I made my way up to the second floor and looked for my room. It turned out to be in the corner, it seemed smaller than the other rooms, judging by the distance between doors. I entered my room and saw a small table with a chair, a bed, and a chest for the furnishings. There was also a leather window on the other side. Very much a minimalistic room, I suppose it makes sense for adventurers who'll spend most of their time outside of it. I locked the door and since I'm alone now.

It's my turn to come out.

Feels like a while, but it's also been a while since I've had such a busy day. Earlier in the restaurant area, I noticed a pair of suspicious individuals that seemed to have a particular interest in Kala, Yaten, and myself. Being a vampire, I have good night vision, a keen sense of smell(particularly for blood), and hearing well beyond a normal human. With that, I focused my hearing downstairs.


"You said she was rather good at staff fighting during that spar?" Kala asked.

"Yeah, she must've had, what, at least level three Staff Weapon Proficiency? Probably higher." Yaten answered.

"Zero."

"What?"

"When we first saw her, she didn't have Staff Weapon Proficiency at all."

"Must've been something like Spear Weapon Proficiency then. She just applied those skills to the staff."

"No. She didn't have any weapon proficiency skills. The only combat skills she had were Element and Magic skills. And even then, she didn't have Basic Element or Basic Magic."

"She was certainly using Dark Shot in the fight. How could you get that without the basic stuff?"

"I don't know. That's why I've been saying she's suspicious."

"Maybe she just managed to fake her status or something."

"And that makes her less suspicious? Fake Status is a high level skill. She would've had to get a lot of training to get that at her age."

"…You think she's a Hidden Hand agent?"

"It would fit, wouldn't it? Maybe she was raised as a noble's daughter but was deemed unfit for marriage, so was trained as a Hidden Hand agent."

"She seems awfully sloppy for an agent."

"They're hardly all super-agents. Or maybe it's a ploy to make herself seem less suspicious."

"Do you actually believe that?"

There was some silence before Kala answered. "I can't completely ignore the possibility. The situation surrounding her is just too suspicious."

"You mean like with the body?"

"…It seems almost completely drained of blood. There wasn't enough where the body was found to account for it, and it couldn't just happen from a wound like that anyways. It brings up a bunch of questions: Who, how, why?"

"Do you want to ditch the girl?"

"…No, we promised we would take care of her. And even if it wasn't for that… Even if it wasn't for that, if she's connected to this, I want to know. If she isn't connected to this, it's as you said, I can't just leave her to an orphanage. She needs help."


I'm starting to think saying that I'm not some secret agent, I'm from another world won't work too well. Seems like my oddities haven't gone unnoticed. I tried to hear the suspicious people I saw earlier, but although I can hear some of their body movements, I couldn't hear them saying anything. I did see them talking to one another when I was downstairs, although hearing them was impossible in the noisy room with my human ears, so to not be able to hear them now, they must be using some sort of skill.

Obtained Skill: Heightened Senses

Obtained Options for Heightened Senses: Night Vision, Blood Scent

I noticed my senses getting a bit better immediately. Useful.

As I listened to the conversation downstairs, I took out the book that started all of this and looked through it again. To my surprise, I can read it now, seems to be due to the Old Kalensha Language Skill I got. It's a book about magic circles, the beginning after the English part is the basics of how they work. If I can figure out the magic circle that brought me to this world, I may be able to figure out how to get back to my old one.

This is basically a Kala/Yaten POV chapter, except not really. The vampire is back now and she's using her abilities to eavesdrop. …She'll be using more interesting vampire abilities soon. Really.

I apologize, but chapters are probably going to slow down a bit. Going to have to go to work and such. Still, will write chapters when I can. Thank you for reading.

8