Chapter 19
176 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Posted two chapters back-to-back, so if you just go to the latest, you might've missed the last one.

"She can't talk?!"

"She can't write either, although she's been able to communicate regardless making a series of short and long sounds using magic." Xedne continued to explain. I think we're mostly caught up now though.

"Ah, morse code. I guess it can be useful in a situation like this."

"Is it common in the other world?"

"Common? Nah. I mean, most people know about it, but few know more than the very basics. But, well, when you live as long as us two, you learn a few things."

"When you say 'live as long', what do you mean?"

"I've been going on for about sixteen hundred years or so? Best I know, this kid is less than half that." She rubbed my head. Stop that.

There was a lot of surprise in their eyes on the statement. "How many hundred years?" Kala asked.

"I'm getting close to sixteen hundred. The little one is six hundred something, I think?"

"Six hundred? I thought you were just a kid!"

"Well, that's not quite wrong. For some reason, she matures really slowly, even compared to the rest of us. She frequently acts like a kid too, despite her age. Says she can't really help it."

"You're saying she's like a six hundred year old… child?"

"She's not as mentally mature as a typical adult, but is far more knowledgeable than one. Treat her however you feel like."

Kala took a look at me. "I guess I get what you're saying." I'm feeling vaguely insulted here. We had the blood from last night's hunt, so I was drinking it from a jar during this time.

"In any case, we need to figure out how to go back to our old world."

"I've taken a look at the magic circle that took you here and we're going to need an expert to decipher it. You're not going to find an expert in a small town like this, so you'll want to go to somewhere more populated. Also, hiring an expert won't be cheap." Xedne explained.

"So Julie here is working so that she can get the money for the trip and the expert huh? Good job!"

"That's the idea, at least. Currently, we're trying to get her to competent strength and stamina. The trip itself would be difficult for her otherwise."

"I see, I see. Strength and stamina are two things I'm good at. I'll help!" A shiver ran up my spine. No, please, let me take things easy. "Are there, like, monsters and such we can beat up?"

Xedne seemed happy to respond. "There certainly is, Kala and Yaten, why don't you take our otherworlders to the Masen fields. Get an idea about her combat strength."

"Wait!" I beeped. "What about her combat test?"

"We can test her skills against the monsters. We only did the indoor test with you because I thought it might be dangerous to do it live with a child. I don't think such concern is needed for her. Well, then, enjoy yourselves."

I got dragged out with them.

"Why aren't you disguised?" I asked Emily with beeps after we left the guild.

"Oh? Why? We're in another world now with magic and stuff. We don't need to worry about that."

"We might get mistaken as monsters."

"If that happens, it happens. I'll deal with it then. I prefer the freedom to be myself." How carefree.

I looked towards her hands. "Should we get you a weapon? Or do you fight without one?"

"Oh, that?" She then suddenly took a large club from… somewhere?

"Where did that weapon come from?" Yaten asked, surprised.

"Us yokai can store objects within ourselves. Since I have a big and strong body, I can store something like this." That's quite an amazing ability, I wasn't aware of this. 

"If you can use a weapon like that, there probably won't be any issue."

"Of course!"


Why…

The masen monsters of the Masen fields were rodents with a tough, armoured back. After taking a few out with magic, Emily forbade me from using magic and forced me to defeat them using only my staff. Every now and then, she just threw more masen at me, so that I have to deal with multiple at once.

After talking with the others, she figured out how to use healing magic, and started using it on the monsters. Meanwhile, I had to start using the healing sachet to heal the small injuries I've been getting.

In order to prevent Emily from healing the monsters, I had to put more force into my attacks, hitting the weak spot more precisely and harder. Take them down in as few hits as possible. Soon, I managed to get the numbers down and eventually defeated the last one.

And then I collapsed.

"What happened to taking it easy on her since she's a kid?" Yaten asked.

"Turns out she isn't a kid, and Emily knows her better than us, I guess."

"I… c-a-n-'-t m-o-v-e…" I beeped out, slowly.

"Good job! I suppose we can stop here for today. Rest today and tomorrow to build up your muscles." Thank goodness. "Instead let's start working on your magic tomorrow." Help me!  "Here, I'll carry you back." Oni. You're definitely an oni, in every sense of the word.

Someone, please, save me from this world.

Our vampire and the oni don't really get along too well. Well, at least from the vampire's perspective.

Instead of flooding the site with this one story, thinking of starting another. I always keep a lot of stories in my head, so I should get another out on paper. Err… digital paper.

  • Six Online — A story about someone playing a VRMMO game called Six Online. This is mostly from just thinking a lot about game design, although there is also a story here too. This one is about identity. Main character here isn't some sort of hardcore gamer, they play a lot, but casually, more focused on exploring the world and systems than mastering it.
  • Aspect Dolls — This is one of the otome game isekai concepts, although instead of the heroine or villainess, the main character is the heroine's little sister. This is about an aromantic character in a world of romance. Also, she's a bit of a hardcore gamer.
  • I Became Dragon — Someone reincarnates to a dragon in another world. The other world being the same as this world, although a bit in the past. There's a bit of a Pokémon-like evolution mechanic here, although the main character has the ability to go backwards and pursue different paths. Main character here isn't a gamer.
  • Child of the Southern Fort — A reincarnated child grows up in a fort where the soldiers regularly rotate in and out. A story about family with a main character who sees everybody as one. Indeterminate gamer status.
  • I was a Superweapon in Another World — Another isekai about someone who was a super weapon in another world. …This idea came up in a dream and I wrote a bit of the story before I've forgotten it. This is the story I've worked least on, although I like the premise. Has a bit of cyberpunk vibes, but that isn't really the story. Main character does work on a lot of mechanical things though. Super gamer.

So, those are the stories I have in mind. For now, I'll work on one other, so please vote.

I do have other ideas, but five options seems good for now. I don't think people would be that interested in Magical Girl Isekai or something anyways.

What story to work on?
  • Six Online Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Aspect Dolls Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I Became Dragon Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Child of the Southern Fort Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I was a Superweapon in Another World Votes: 7 58.3%
Total voters: 12
5