Chapter 3: You’re Both Careless
386 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So far, nothing bad had happened when Nishiki went on his walk for work. Whatever worries Kinuko had about Tenha’s intentions. It didn’t seem to have any current impact on his day-to-day life. He was glad that whatever contract was wasn’t something that was going to doom his soul for all eternity. A fortunate outcome considering he didn’t even attempt to read the paper before signing it.

Though despite all the chaos that had occurred since last night, he still clocked into work right on time as usual. All the same faces of his coworkers, to the stacks of papers laid about his desk. None of that had changed. Not even off by a single centimeter.

At some points, he wondered if he was going crazy from all the work he had done. Maybe his brain was getting fried from staring at all these numbers and writing down all the required information. Though it had to have been real. The sore spot on his back definitely reminded him of that girl’s foot.

“You really just going to act on like everything’s normal?” A voice asked him.

“What do you mean?” At first, he was confused as to why a coworker would ask him that question. They already didn’t say much to him on a normal day. So this came from out of left field for him. When he looked up to see who it was, the man was shocked to see Kinuko standing across from his desk. “Ahh!” He screamed out in horror.

“You may want to be more quiet.” She calmly said to him. Everyone in the office stared at the man as he awkward sat back down into his seat. “They can’t see or hear me, so there’s no concern about a conversation here.

“Sorry everyone.” He nervously addressed the crowd as he relaxed a bit. “Just a spider…” These fox spirit really were going to be the death of him, weren’t they? “What are you doing here?” He whispered quietly to Kinuko.

“I would be remiss if I just allowed you to continue life without the knowledge of what you’ve signed yourself up for.” She explained. “I’m telling you, she is not someone to be taken lightly.” There were more constant warning from her, but to him it seemed a bit overblown. The way she spoke about the other girl made it seem like she was going to make his home her new torture dungeon.

“You already said she got kicked out of the spirit world. How about telling me why exactly?” Of all concerns he could have. That one was more vital, as it would be telling to what kind of person, err, kitsune she was.

“She doesn’t live up to the standard of our world.” Kinuko proceeded to then go on a long winded rant about Tenha. There was a ton of colorful language peppered in her monologue where he felt as if this was more personal rather than just business. Ultimately the gist the explanation was her laziness, her poor attitude, and bad relationships with pretty much everyone other kitsune were to blame.

“I take it she’s also a big liar as well?” Considering that show she put on for him last night, it seem it was all an act. “Anyway, if that’s all, then can I get back to work?”

“What is with this obsession you have with your job?” She replied, still disappointed in him. “I wish she could be this diligent. Though with the more I learn about you, it seems the two of you deserve each other.”

“I just can’t keep talking to someone who isn’t actually here.” He explained himself. “Don’t need my coworkers thinking I’ve gone crazy. I really don’t want to pay for a therapist.”

“Fine.” She turned her head up and prepared to leave. “I’ll allow you to find out more about her yourself. But trust that this won’t be the last time we meet.” He didn’t think she was going to leave him to easily. Still, it was better to go back to work for once. At least it would allow him to take his mind off his new situation for the time being.

Though because of his newfound circumstances, it did have an effect on how he conducted work. Though the only difference was that he got off on time, instead of going for another round with overtime. This was a weird feeling to have. Nishiki couldn’t remember the last time he didn’t stay late for work. So seeing the city with the sun setting, instead of the pitch black being illuminated by the street lamps was a new experience.

The warm sunlight cast a glow on everything it touched. A stark contrast to the harsh colder lights produced by man made lamps. Even if the latter was still appreciated for he would be tripping all over himself in the dark.

Also, since he didn’t spend extra time working. Nishiki felt a bit more energetic than usual. There was more pep in his step as he walked home. Though for the first time in a long while as well, he didn’t make his daily stop at the shrine. It felt a bit weird to be praying now that he had actually met the deity. Especially since he knew she was no longer than, but rather at his own home.

“I’m home.” He announced upon walking in through the front door. There was no response, which he found strange as he got his shoes off. While he didn’t get the full details of the contract, wasn’t she supposed to be cooking dinner? There was no sounds of sizzling or boiling or other noises one would make when making a meal. So where was she? “Hmm?”

When he walked deeper inside, he took note that the TV was left on. It was just some random shows that would play throughout the day. Nothing he would be aware of, since he was always at work during this time. Right on his couch, there Tenha laid asleep. Though in her hybrid human form rather than being a true fox. It seemed she did not care one bit about how she appeared in this state. “Hello?”

“Huh?” She stirred quickly from her sleep. Tenha sat up and made her outfit a bit more respectful and less showing of her undergarment. “I’m awake, what’s going on?” It took her a moment to look around to even see who was talking to her. When she realized it was just him, she lost what little enthusiasm she had a moment ago. “Oh, it’s just you.”

“Um, what were you doing all day?” He asked?” There also seemed to be numerous bags of chips and bottles of soda on his coffee table. How they got there, he had no clue since the man never bought those things at all during his adult life.

“Oh, there were some of these funny things you got on these TV’s of yours.” She answered like it was no big deal. “I was just kicking back and enjoying it with these snacks here.”

“And these snacks got here by…”

“Oh, I ordered delivery for them.” She responded. “It was done on your card by the way.”

“My card!?” He was shocked by that. One because she had just spent his money, but also because his debit card was with him the entire time. Nishiki always carried it in his wallet whenever he was out in public.

“Relax, I didn’t steal it.” She said as he furiously checked his pockets. “The contract we signed allows me access to a certain amount of your cash. Don’t worry, I won’t spend you into the poorhouse.”

“I don’t want you to spend any of my money…” He sighed, knowing that it was too late seeing as he signed that contract. “Okay, what does that contract say about you actually serving me?” Despite lazing about, he did take note there was less dust in his house. So it seems she did make some effort to clean the place.

“I just need to follow the absolute minimum as a servant.” She answered. “So you only get one meal out of me.”

“Well, I haven’t gotten a single meal from you today. So, chop chop.” He commanded her to the kitchen.

“Ugh, fine.” She dusted off the crumbles of chips from her clothes and leaped off the couch.

16