Chapter 7: Two Many Chefs in the Kitchen
181 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now with a full fridge in his kitchen. Nishiki felt confident that he’d be able to deal with the food issue that arose due to Tenha’s lack of skills. However, that wasn’t going to be the end of that.

“What are you doing?” She asked as he went and set out some ingredients onto the counter. If one didn’t know any better, they would assume he was going to be the one cooking dinner. That assumption would prove to be correct though.

“I can hardly remember the last time I cooked a nice dinner.” He responded. The man’s diet up until this point consisted of a mix of take-out, snacks from the office, and cheap and ready meals from the nearby 8-Twelve convenience store. “It’s been a while, but I don’t think I forgot how to cook for myself.”

“Whoa whoa whoa there, have you gone mad!?” She slapped him upside the head in anger. “Do you want the two of us to die or something?”

“I didn’t until you hit me in the head.” He replied, holding the spot where she slapped. “And besides, that contract doesn’t say anything about me helping, right?” Admittedly, he wasn’t certain on that. The man did hope that to be the case.

“No. I guess it doesn’t.” She gave up the argument to him.

“Plus, you can take this as repaying that favor I gave you earlier.” He continued on. Even thought that wouldn’t constitute as her paying him back, seeing as she was already required to cook a meal for him. “Just listen to me when I tell you how to do things. I don’t want this dish to be ruined.”

“Come on, I’m not that bad at cooking dinner.” She defended herself. Everyone always said she was horrible at it, even though of all things in her life. The girl actually put in a good amount of effort into it. That stupid test pretty much confirmed it, which got her a bit salty about the so-called standards the kitsune had.

“You’re pretty awful.” He was in agreement with the rest of her kind. “But it’s no big deal, not everyone is good at cooking at first.” Nishiki certainly knew it took him well into college to develop the skills he had now. Hopefully those weren’t skills lost in the erosion of time.

“What are you talking about? I’ve been doing it for dozens of years.” When she brought up such a ridiculously large number of years. He couldn’t resist in asking the obvious question.

“So being a fox spirit…” He started, a bit worried she might be offended by the question. Sure, she wasn’t human, but a lot of women are touchy about it. “Have you just lived since the beginning of time or what?”

“I’m just a hundred years old.” She answered, not seeming to mind the question at all. “I’m still young and growing, don’t worry.” That did explain a lot to him, mainly why she seemed to be so much smaller compared to her companion in Kinuko. Though now there was another strange feeling in knowing that this girl was four times his age. No wonder why she talked to him as if he was some kind of child.

“I’d hope that someone who’s in triple digits would know how to cook well at this point.” He commented on her poor skills. Even if she may be young by the standards of the fox spirits, 100 years was still a long time. “Now come over and help me out before we get erased.”

She joined him and they were finally able to get started. He was glad for that, since by now the man was starving. Normally, he’d little choice but to decide to run by some fast food instead of dining in. All the time spent in work made him a bit lazy when it came to home life. So in a sense, he did understand her feelings of not wanting to do much. That said, she didn’t have any excuse compared to him and even his own excuse wasn’t that great. Was it really worth doing everything at the office just to sacrifice his own personal lifestyle?

As they got their work divided up, her cutting up the vegetables and him manning the stove to boil some broth they purchased. There was a feeling he remembered. One he hadn’t felt in a long time since he was a young child helping his own mother in the kitchen for dinner.

Yet this time, the roles were reversed. Even if he was the one who was supposed to be providing support. The man was more or less giving her directions on preparing a good meal. That meant cutting the vegetables evenly and in proper portions so that they would cook evenly. As well as detailing what seasonings to use, along with when and why.

“I always thought cooking was pretty lame.” She told him as she poured in the chopped up vegetables into the pot. “I try so hard, but it’s really so boring doing all the work. This time is kind of different.”

“I guess it’s because you only have to do half the work.” He answered as they switched sides. Him slicing up some strips of beef and her stirring the broth and adding in seasoning. “Seems fitting for someone lazy like yourself.” As they continued on preparing the meal, there came a knock on the door yet again. To no one’s surprise, it was Kinuko making her arrival once more. “Are you going to be having dinner with us everyday?”

“It’s just some early precautions to ensure she’s doing her job.” She answered. “I’ll slow down these visits once the two of you get more acclimated.” After she explained to him the details, the man returned to his post at the kitchen, much to her surprise. “What are you doing? It’s supposed to be her job to serve you.”

“No rules against me helping in the kitchen, right?” He got the same response as with Tenha. Thankfully, after a lack of arguing between him and the small girl for once. They were able to get dinner prepared. Sadly, given that he had no dinner table, they all had to group together at his couch. “You know, I bought this assuming I’d be the only one here.” He said, feeling squeezed by the pair on both side.

“It certainly is not my ideal location for a meal.” It was telling from her tone that Kinuko was unhappy being the person responsible for Tenha. Though as she took her first bite of the udon noodles prepared by the couple, her mood brightened up. “I do have to say, this is easily the best soup you’ve ever made.” She gave praise to Tenha.

“Well, can’t take all the credit.” She was more modest than he expected. Though that was likely because it was obvious that he played a factor in this dinner tonight. “And he taught me a lot about cooking too.”

“Then I assume this means we should raise your meal quality standards then?” Kinuko asked.

“No, no!” She quickly tried to downplay her growth. “I mean, it’s not like he can help me every time I make dinner. Please, there’s no way I can keep up with your ridiculous standards!” The other girl scoffed in response.

“I was just joking.” She said. Given her serious tone, even he didn’t realize that it was a comment meant in jest. “After all the time we’ve known each other, I’d think you’d be capable of picking up on my sarcasm.”

“Actually, speaking of…” He entered into the conversation. “How long have you two known each other anyway?”

“Pretty much all my life.” Kinuko answered. “I believe we were basically born at the same time.”

“Wow, so you’re 100 years too?” The woman gave him a side eye, glaring at him like he was crazy. What the man didn’t see as he was looking away from it at the moment was Tenha’s body stiffening up, her bushy tail stood out straight and ears perked right up.

“I have no clue as to why you just threw out a number like that.” She replied. “I am 300 years of age, and so is Tenha here.”

“Oh she is, is she?” He turned his head over to send his own glare at his servant for her lies. It was a good thing for her that lying wasn’t a part of this contract or they would’ve both been done for the moment he signed the paper.

“Oh man, this soup sure is nice, isn’t it?” The fox spirit felt all eyes on her as she tried to bare through the anxiety by taking a slurp of her meal.

6