Chapter 12: If Today was Your Last day
241 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some time of arguing with one another about the level of responsibility Tenha deserved on the mess caused by her. The two workers did eventually wake up. They seemed to be nice about what happened and held no hard feelings towards anyone. According to them, it was only the second worse thing that had happened while on a job.

As curious as Nishiki was about what they considered to be the worst thing. He decided not to pursue that line of conversation. After that, the pair were left alone after those men left.

“I can’t believe you.” He snidely remarked after they left. “You had one simple task, and you find a way to mess things up.”

“Hey, I was trying to be nice.” She continued to defend her actions. “You keep complaining that I don’t do much. So why are you getting mad at me now?”

“Maybe because you just nearly killed two men!” He yelled at her. “Ugh, and now I’m going to be late for work.” Nishiki checked his watch. If he hurried now, he might be able to return to the office on time. Though the worst part is there was no hope of getting any lunch now. Even going to a convenience store would lead to him being late. “Geez, you really are a drain on me you know that?”

“Don’t act like it’s all been doom and gloom since I came along.” She replied. The pair got up into each other’s face. Though he had to lean down hard just to get down to her level. It certainly didn’t do his back any favors. “I saw how miserable you were. It’s why I chose you in the first place.”

“You chose to swindle me is what happened.” He responded. “You thought I was some poor sap who you could take advantage of by tricking me into that contract.” Obviously, considering the situation they were in now. Her plan to do exactly that did work. “But you know what? I’d at least still have a normal life if it wasn’t for you. Ever since you came along, it’s been one thing after another.” The man then went on to list all of the troubles she had caused him. “No matter what you say, it’s hasn’t been all rainbows and sunshine.”

“The absolute nerve.” She crossed her arms in defiance. “Would you rather I not do anything then? That way the two of us can just get erased from all existence?” Tenha challenged him.

“If it means ending my suffering from you, then go right ahead.” He replied, not budging an inch.

“Fine, then this will be the last time we see each other.” With that, she stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind.

“Fine.” He spoke his last words of their conversation and began to return to work. On his walk there, the man was able to cool down a bit and come to the realization that he may have just signed his death warrant. Surely she wouldn’t want to allow herself to die just to get back at him. Though he had no clue what impact being erased as a fox spirit had compared to a regular human. Assuming there were any differences at all.

If this really was going to be his last day, then should he be going to work? “Eh, I guess.” Nishiki said to himself. While it seemed a bit ridiculous to be willing to just go about as if nothing was wrong. A part of him didn’t think he was actually going to die.

After returning to his desk and making some apologies for being late to his boss, the man got to work. As he sat alone, Nishiki couldn’t help but have his mind wander about. Usually he was diligent in concentrating and staying focused on the work at hand. Though one would forgive him considering the reason behind this.

If today really was to be his last day, then this was apparently his response to the classic question. His decision would be to not change a single thing about his schedule. What else was there for him to do? Maybe he could call his parents and tell them he loved them. But then that might raise a few eyebrows since he would come up missing the next day. He didn’t want to be at the center of a popular web series for mysterious disappearances.

And if he did disappear without a trace, then what mark would he leave behind? Well, there was that new washer he bought, but nothing of note that would last. Few people would care if he fell off the face of the planet. A shame, but what else did he expect living the life he had been living for the past few years.

“Nishiki?” Before he knew it, his time at the office was over. The sunset illuminated a red glow inside the office as his coworkers prepared to leave for the day. His boss, Teiji Kurisu, was the one who snapped him out of thought. “You all right?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, Kurisu.” He answered, trying to play it cool. However, it was challenging as the thought of his life coming to a sudden end continued to run through his mind.

“Well some of us are going to be heading to a bar tonight. Normally I wouldn’t ask since you’d just say no, but maybe this time could be different?” His boss was correct. This would normally be a request that Nishiki would deny every time. Teiji would also be correct on the latter part of the sentence too. This time would be different after all.

“You know what? Sure.” He answered. If today was his last, then he might as well spend that time with the people he already spent all day with. Hmm, now that he thought about it, maybe that was a waste.

However, as he went to the bar to grab a few drinks. Nishiki would see that spending time with these people out in public was a wildly separate experience than in the office. Mostly that everyone was louder, but more friendly in their conversation. “Cheers.” He raised another drink with the others. The man stayed his normal self, a bit on the quiet side and avoiding conversation as he took another glass of alcohol.

“You’re really open today.” Despite what he assumed to be staying the same, Fusa was someone who took note of his actions as of late. “Ever since last week, it’s like you’ve changed from when I first met you.”

“People change, that’s just what happens.” He downplayed it as he looked over to the clock. It was nearly midnight. The time where if Tenha truly decided to not complete her end of the contract, then he was going to poof out of existence. Nishiki decided to leave early so if that happened, no one he knew would have to suffer seeing that.

“But you’ve always worked overtime every day until lately.” She continued on. “Honestly, you always looked so tired, but now you’ve gotten so much brighter.”

“I have?” He didn’t think that life became any less exhausting since his contract with Tenha began. “If that’s what you think sure. Anyway, it’s getting late now. So I should be heading home to get some sleep.”

“Hey, before you go.” His boss stopped him as he put his hand over his shoulder. “You should join us more often. It’s pretty nice to have you along.” Nishiki would disagree with that statement seeing as all he’s done was drink and not engage with anyone. That must’ve been the alcohol talking for his boss.

“I’ll think about it.” Was his answer, and what he assumed to be his last words to the two of them as he exited the bar. The walk home took little time as he took a deep sigh right before opening the door. “I guess dying alone in my bed won’t be so bad…” Nishiki muttered to himself as he entered the building.

His plan was to plop himself face down onto his bed as his first and last action upon getting home. However, there was something on the counter that caught his eye. It was a bowl of fried rice with a piece of paper next to it. In the darkness, he struggled to read what was written on it. However, eventually he was able to make out what it said.

“I’m not going to let you die so easily…” It began. This was a note written by Tenha and this bowl of food was made by her to be his dinner for the night. “And I don’t want to die either. I’m not an idiot. I took care of the cleaning while you were gone. And here’s some food so I can fulfill the contract.” Nishiki chuckled after he finished reading the note. Of course she would give him such a cold message after their fight.

He placed the paper down so that he could have some much needed dinner. However, were he to place it down the same way he found it, then he wouldn’t have seen what was written on the other side. Nishiki picked up the note once more and read what she had hidden in the back in tiny letters. “...And I hope you take this as my apology… I’m sorry for causing you trouble today… You don’t deserve me...” The handwriting was not as neat as what was on the front. Like she had to strain herself just to write it.

Nishiki paused for a moment to soak in her apology. Was she embarrassed or too prideful to want to openly admit that she was in the wrong? Well, it didn’t matter. In the end, she made the right decision. The man sat down on his couch to enjoy the cold meal she left for him. Upon doing do, he nearly sat down on the sleeping Tenha also on the couch. For some reason, she was not in her fox form.

“…” Seeing her laying there like that. Did she fall asleep trying to wait for him to return? Was she stressed out on if he’d make it back before their contract deadline? Was that even how it worked? There were so many questions, yet none of them concerned his mind. Nishiki took his hand and patted her head without thinking. Then, when he touched her he realized his error and tensed up.

Except, instead of being flung across the room by her immense strength. Nothing happened. Nothing other than him feeling the soft hair on her head. She did tell him that she could sense danger, as in people coming in to touch her. Surely there was no way she had her guard down as she had shown the capabilities of doing it while sleeping. “Heh…” He chuckled once more. “I accept your apology.”

4