Chapter 9: The determination of Arch
1.6k 7 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pov - ???

"... am I alive?"

When I look around I am in a white bed in some sort of hostel.

The other beds were messy indicating that the people sleeping the same as me have recently left.

"Hey the last one woke up, take her now!"

An Orc opened the door seeing me get up, soon afterwards other Orcs entered the room holding me by the arms.

"What have I done?!"

I try to get loose but I am still too weak, I am just a mere Harpy so I end up being taken away without question.

Let's try to remember what happened...


We Harpies live in nests in the mountains far away from any other monsters or humans, unlike the other races we have nothing special besides being able to fly so we live by hunting small animals in the surroundings.

We can't use magic other than null magic, nor are we naturally strong like the goblins in a way we are a really pathetic race, but somehow we manage to be recognized by the other races of the forest.

I was born as the second daughter of the leader of our tribe and given the name Saya.

Dad was a good leader, unlike me he was proud to be a Harpy, he had a scar on his face that he showed off to everyone along with his bow that he carried everywhere, but there came a time when my father became too old to hunt and had to pass on the duty of leadership to the next generation.

Obviously I had no intention of being the head of our tribe but my older brother Horus as I can tell... is a very free spirit so to speak.

He used to say that he wanted to see the world beyond the mountains and that he was tired of seeing the same sky all the time, so one day he just ran away leaving a writing in the cave where our nest was located that said: "I'm going to explore this world, someday I'll come back and tell you all about it.

Frankly, there is a limit to how irresponsible someone can be.

Because of these events the position of head of the family fell to the second oldest in the family, which is me.

In the beginning I was really upset with the idea of leading, our tribe is not that big but still everyone would be counting on me, it is too much responsibility to handle. Still I was strong and kept going, somehow I managed to manage everything and got the respect of everyone.

Everything was going well until one day when we were hunting some rabbits and one of my subordinates ended up bumping into a Wivern's territory.

He was still a novice on one of his first hunts, and before we could do anything about it he was torn to shreds.

That was the first time I saw someone I knew die, the worst of it was that the Wyvern kept running after him.

With my bow I attacked but didn't even make any stitches on him, because of my weakness every single one of those who went with me died.

In a last burst of desperation before I died I gathered every drop of mana I had and my magic pooled in my eyes, for a second I felt that Wivern's movements had slowed down and I could feel his heart beating.

I then shot my arrow that traveled into his belly as we flew and I killed him.

After that I evolved into a [Ranger Falcon Harpy].

The only thing that changed was that besides losing some of my scales I also got a yellow eye like that of an eagle, much sharper than before.

Time passed, and thanks to my having become a little stronger, we managed to maintain stability and peace in the mountains, until the orcs appeared.

They captured my father, who was already weakened by age.

I tried to stop them but they just beat me like a mere bird.

I remembered something that that Wyvern had put into my head since that day: that we are weak, even though my eyesight is getting better there is still no way we can beat them.

The Orcs then told me that they wouldn't hurt my father if at the next forest council I just took the liquid that the Orc King's brother, Norman, offered me.

If that was all it, I don't understand why they made such a drastic decision as taking a hostage but no matter, I just agreed.

When the day came I obviously didn't think twice and drinked it, that was the last thing I remember.


"Hey, didn't I say to be gentle with her?!"

The Orcs then bring me to another room where I can hear a girl's voice shouting.

"Sorry Boss, it's just that she kept moving around so we had to bring her in by force" The Orc answers the girl.

They then let me go leaving me alone in the room with the girl.

"Are you all right? Sorry about that, please sit down"

She then drags a chair for me to sit, I don't understand the situation but she seems to be someone important by the way the Orcs were referring to this child so I just sit down as instructed.

"First of all, pleasure my name is Charlotte"

Charlotte extends her small hand to me and I lengthen it.

"My name is Saya, my pleasure"


Charlotte - POV 

After everything that happened I decided to observe the leaders who are not awake yet as Lord Elder and Goburo went back to the goblin village, Melisa and Garlin also went back to their respective territories with their subordinates so I am alone for now.

Besides Arch there were also about 9 other races at the meeting but one by one they woke up.

Some like the lamia and slimes accepted me surprisingly easily while others, how can I put it... were more hard-headed.

Particularly the Lizardmen refused to even think about someone commanding them, only after a "show of force" they accepted me although I thought I heard a gnashing of teeth from the Lizardmen leader, it must have been my imagination.

Arch is the only one who hasn't woken up yet, did I kick him too hard? I am starting to get worried.

In the end the last one missing besides Arch was the leader of the Harpies named Saya who just woke up.

At first glance she looked like a pretty brown haired high school teenager, except her eyes were a deep yellow like a hawk's. 

Saya also had huge brown wings on her back, the only things that didn't make her look like a human with wings were her patches of scales all over her body and the claws on her hands and feet that showed she was a harpy.

"Charlotte. I'm sorry to be so direct but I saw that you are close to the orcs, so.... Where is my father?"

"I am sorry about your father but he is dead" I cut Saya off before she continued to speak.

Her too?

Everyone I interviewed told me the same thing: One of their loved ones was kidnapped by Orcs who said that if they drank that fermented liquid in the forest council they would be freed.

I asked the Orc guards about this and they said they didn't know anything other than that Norman kept something in the castle basement.

Obviously I told them to see what it was and it was dead bodies of different races like a collection, what was he thinking with this? I guess I'll never know.

"I see..." Saya says lowering her head, you can see some tears falling but soon she wipes her eyes looking at me again.

It seems insensitive of me to say it right away but in my opinion in this kind of situation it is better to be direct, to give false hope or to delay in saying what happened will only make worse what the person will feel with the news of the death.

"I'm sorry, I swear that one day we will catch the culprit. By the way"

I then left the room for a moment as fast as I can and go to the room they gave me.

"Where is it, where is it.... Here!"

I walk back into the room and turn to Saya.

"I think this is yours"

I give her the bow they found next to her father's body.

"Daddy's bow! Thank you! Thank you!"

Saya opens a smile on her face and starts to hug me.

"Calm down, it's no big deal there's no reason for me to have it anyway"

"Sorry I guess I got too excited hehe" Says Saya while scratching her head.

"Anyway, Now that we have settled about your father I want to talk about why I called you"

"No problem"

I then straighten up leaning towards her.

"I want the Harpies to swear allegiance to me just like the other races did"

"It's not as if we have the option to refuse, is it?"

"Not"

"I knew it..." Saya says with a wry smile.

"Don't worry, I guarantee you won't regret it"

"If I may ask, what do you intend to do once you get everyone together at your command?"

"Nothing much, I'm coming up with some ideas that I intend to put into practice soon trying to improve everyone's lives" 

I didn't lie but to be honest, I don't intend to stay in this forest for long.

There are too many places I want to see and people to fight with, it would be a waste to stay put.

Seriously, I'm in another world, how many people have the opportunity for something like this? Besides, I want to get stronger.

My blood boils at the thought of fighting with someone like that dragon from before, there's no way I'm going to stand around doing boring bureaucratic work, but before that I want to try to make life a little better for the people who live in the forest.

"I don't understand how we Harpies can help you but I swear we will never betray you"

"It will be a pleasure to work with you"

We then greet each other and that leaves only the Kobolds.

"Chief, the kobold is awake"

As if hearing my thought the guards brought Arch who looks at me surprised.

"Fairy..."

"Mister Arch, you're awake!"


Arch - POV

When I woke up I was in a bed, so I didn't die hein

I still vaguely remember being knocked out by Noburo's companion.

What happened after that? I have no idea.

They are probably dead now, there is no way they could have beaten those modified guards.

My master tried to fight them but he just got too tired, even after days of fighting they wouldn't rest no matter how many times he tried.

"Are you awake? Come on, the boss is waiting for you" An orc guard arrives in the room I am in.

This boss he speaks of must be Norman.

When I get to the room I see the Harpy leader talking to that fairy.

They didn't die? but what the hell happened.

"Lord Arch, you're awake!"

The Fairy comes towards me, damn why do you keep up this act? No way she is just an innocent girl.

I remember her attacking that human, so for sure she is no ordinary girl, let's see what she can do.


Charlotte - POV

When I got close to Mr. Arch he was looking at me with hatred as if I were the murderer of his parents.

I wondered if there was something wrong.

"Let's see what you're capable of!"

For some reason Sir Arch yelled this and tried to punch me.

I ducked to the side and he kept trying to attack me with punches.

"I surprise, You're fast!" When he tried to attack me at the council it was much slower.

"Look who's talking!" 

"I don't understand why you are angry with me but with that strength you won't lay a finger on me"

"Damn it! Damn it!"

Mr. Arch tries to hit me more and more desperately, it's kind of depressing to see him like that.

Being tired of this teasing I push Mr. Arch's hand causing him to destabilize.

I then kick him causing him to fly backwards destroying the wall and making him fall into the next room

"Amazing, What strength!" Says Saya who was watching this display.

Ignoring her I look at Arch and he is squirming but still seems to be awake.

"Has he calmed down?"  I ask looking at his bloodied body on the floor.

"Yes... Who are you exactly?"

"Oh sure, I haven't told you my name yet. It's Charlotte, Charlotte Sanafort."

"Charlotte, huh. Do what you want with me, I don't care about anything anymore"

"Then stop the drama and become my subordinate, what do you say?"

I hold out my hand to Arch.

"Subordinate? hahaha Sure, I have no objection"

Arch then takes my hand and I help him to lift his weakened body finally making peace with me.

 

47