Chapter 11 – Secretary Part One
2.3k 18 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yosh, I did it!" I leave the last stone in the place that was being pulled by the wind.

I finally finished the whole road network, it's something pretty simple with a stone trail to demarcate it and I also put signs everywhere so people don't get lost.

"Let me see if I understand, you made a whole road system all by yourself?!"

"It's no big deal"

At the moment I am lying on the grass in front of the cave that leads to the goblin village.

It was already night and the moon was in the center of a starry sky.

How can I put it... the moon of this world was strangely colorful, like a bright marble in the sky.

As a citizen of a metropolis I rarely saw a sky this clear, only when I went to the countryside with my family when I was little.

I used a lot of mana, it's the first time I've used up my mana entirely since that time with Norman and the orcs but this time I used it for a much longer period of time so I feel like my whole body is screaming "Enough! I can't take it anymore!!!" and forced me to rest.

Thankfully this time there is no dragon to spoil things.

"No big deal you say.... Why didn't you ask for help? you know you could have.

Who is talking to me right now is Mr. Elder, or should I call him Noburo from now on? It's not as if I'm still in your care.

He heard the sound of stones and ran outside, but when he saw me he let out a sigh of relief and gave me a telling off telling me to let you know if he came to visit.

"I wanted to test how far my magic would go, I was able to use it while walking all over the forest, that was amazing"

I wanted to speak up but I don't have the strength even for that.

"Fairies are scary... And what are you going to do now?"

Noburo sits up with his big body and watches the sky with me.

"Let's see, now I have to structure the state and the laws better to be very clear to everyone, maybe creating a parliament, I also want to create schools and improve the infrastructure of the villages, give incentive to create some hospitals, create a sanitary system, create bonds to finance everything and..."

"Wait, wait, enough! You weren't thinking of doing all this yourself, right?!"

"Well..."

"Have you gone crazy?! Come on, get up!

"Stop, it hurts!"

Noburo stands up and holds my small body forcing me to stand up too.

"Promise me you won't push yourself any harder than necessary. Remember that you are not alone, you can count on us.

You can count on us.

When was the last time I heard that phrase?

Before I died I practically lived for the organization I worked for, I did nothing but work, and for what? In the end I just died to one of my employees without being able to enjoy anything I built.

I tell myself that I will take advantage of this second chance that life has given me but I thought I would continue working like an idiot.

In a way I am really pathetic.

"Eh? Why are you crying?"

I touch my face and tears fall from my eyes like the waters of a stream before I realize it.

"It's nothing" I wipe my face and continue talking.

"You're right, it's not worth leaving everything on my shoulders. Thank you... No-bu-ro"

As I said that, a smile appears on my face.

When I first say his name, Noburo makes a surprised face but soon a wide smile lights up on his face.

"That's the way to talk!!!"

We both then clench our fists in compliance.

"What was that?" I say totally breaking the mood.

"What are you talking about?" Noburo tilts his head not understanding what I meant.

For a moment I felt a wave of magic coming from the west, well it must have been just my impression.

I don't know what will happen, but I swear I will strive to have fun from now on, until my last day in this world.

And so the years went by.


Meanwhile on earth

??? - POV

"Master, master... he is gone" I say, not even having the strength to complete the sentence.

I grab my blanket and curl up in the middle of my dark room.

How can he die? What do I do now?

I still remember the day I met him.

When I was starting college, I saw him for the first time on the subway, he was wearing a black suit and I could feel that he was uncomfortable but he remained seated.

When he realized that I was looking at him his face turned red and he pretended to be looking at his cell phone.

Aww, so cute!

That day I couldn't pay attention in class just thinking about that man.

He was a tall middle aged man, but very average looking, yet... for some reason whenever I thought about him my heart fluttered and I imagined myself on his shoulders, raising children... no, wait, wait, I'm going too fast.

I just thought about how silly I was, and that I would probably never see that man, and even if I did, what would he see in someone like me?

I was just a brat just out of high school, I'm not even pretty, with this body that doesn't develop, wearing bottle top glasses and unkempt black hair, which gave me a "weird nerd" appearance.

Anyway, my family was having financial problems at this time, so I had to look for a job to help at home while I was studying.

When I was sending out resumes, I just got an interview for a secretary in a commercial company, which was better than nothing so I went to the company building.

"Miss is next? Nice to meet you, have a seat... Are you okay?"

As soon as I walked in for the interview, not even in my dreams would I believe that that same man from the subway would be the one interviewing me, I looked at him and stood paralyzed drooling for a few minutes in front of him not knowing what to say.

"Hey wake up, do you want me to call a doctor?!" The man shakes my body worried about me.

"No, don't worry..." My face has turned bright red like a tomato and I sit down to start the interview.

(I have to get this job at any cost!)

At this point I put this thought in my heart, in the end somehow I got the job.


"Master, I've already done the report on the details of that rival company you asked for"

"Lilia, good job"

I hand my report to my master and he pats me on the head.

Aaah, I never get tired of that!

"Seriously, you look like his mascot..." A co-worker said to me as I was walking back to my post.

"Mascot?! I wish..."

When I said that without any hesitation this colleague of mine just looked at me with a contemptuous expression and walked away from me.

Who cares what other people think? The only opinion that matters is that of my master!

Since I joined the company, I have tried my best to get closer to the master and managed to become his personal secretary.

He is a very focused executive in his work, to give you an idea, even though I tried very hard I could hardly get any information about his past or his personal life.

Not because he hides it or anything, but because he is really normal, average school grades, average hobbies, no kids or girlfriend, but once in a while he goes to the city's red light square in hiding, leaves work every day at the same time punctually.

The only noteworthy thing about the master is that when it comes to business, as much as he vehemently denies it himself, he is incredibly competitive.

The kind of person who doesn't mind making practices to destroy a threat of business competition or support lobbying the local municipality to favor a subdivision that benefits his organization even if it hinders the lives of local citizens, yet he says that these things are "just business" and that he only works on operational issues.

Yet he is also kind to everyone who doesn't go against him and really respects those who help him.

These two sides of him made me fall even more in love with him than when I first met him.

Whether it's to destroy someone in his way or to help someone, I don't care, I will always be loyal to the master even if it means selling my soul to the devil.


"What do you think of me?"

One day when I was still starting out in the company I got up the courage and asked the master while he was in his office.

"What is this question all of a sudden.... You are a good colleague"

"That's not what I'm talking about, what I mean is [...]"

At that moment I put all my remaining strength into my lung and continued.

"[...] What do you think of me as a woman!!!"

The master's eyes widened and he was quiet for a moment.

"Don't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you, okay? It's just that... I think you're very beautiful, and you're always attentive to me. Believe me, the man who will have you will be very lucky, that I guarantee. Don't let anyone change you.

I think you're very beautiful.

Very beautiful.

Until today no one had ever said that to me, when I heard those words my heart beat fast and my face turned red.

I couldn't stand it and ended up crying with happiness.

"What, did I say something wrong?!"

I ignore him by getting close to his chair and hugged him.

"I promise I will be with you forever, master" I say as I sit on his lap and lean against his chest.

"Why do you insist on calling me that? Oh, I give up... All right, just for today.

In the end, that day I stayed on the master's lap as I worked, he would sometimes mess with my head and teach me his work, I wanted this moment to go on forever....

Until a woman who was also an executive in the company opened the office door and saw the two of us together.

"Sorry to bother you, but I think you forgot de- What do you guys think you're doing here?!"

As soon as she saw us together, the woman became furious and ran out of the room.

Needless to say, the gossip that the master was a teenage predator spread like wildfire through the company and took months to dissipate.

Those days were so good...

Until that bastard destroyed everything I had.


"You can't fire me! Come on man, I have kids, give me one more chance"

One of the employees in the master's department gets down on his knees and begs not to be fired.

He hardly ever came to work, and whenever a project was handed in, he always ended up leaving, which was a lot of work to relocate everything.

Honestly, I am surprised that those old guys in the administration didn't ask to fire him before.

"I'm sorry, these are rules from above, don't make it more difficult than it already is.

"Damn, you'll see, you'll all see!"

My Master just sent him out and told me to get him out of the company system.


As I was getting ready to go home I see my Master leaving punctually as usual.

"Ah, so beautiful"

Unconsciously I follow him.

He did the same route every day so it was easy to stalk him, until he stopped at the traffic light waiting for the traffic to pass.

The avenue was crowded with people also waiting for the light to turn green but there was one person that caught my attention.

It was that same man who was fired.

He had his head down and was walking to the street in the middle of the crowd, what does he think he is doing? Is he trying some kind of prank or something?

Those eyes.

His eyes were half-closed and he was looking directly in the direction of the master.

"Excuse me"

"Hey, watch where you're going!"

I try to go to where the master was but the crowd was too dense and prevented me from getting through.

This is not good, the man got to where the master was.

"CAUTION!"

Unable to get through the crowd I shout toward him.

"Huh?"

When the master looked in my direction the man pushed him.

Crash!!!

At the same moment he pushed him a truck was passing by.

I run trying to do something but I can't do anything and blood runs down my face.

Without caring I walk over to the master on the ground.

"Master! Master! Wake up!"

I shake him but his body lies still like that of a doll.

It's a nightmare, right?

That's it, it has to be a dream, I'll wake up soon.

I pull my cheek but nothing happens.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaahh"

I scream as I hold the master's body.

"What have I done..." The fired man says looking at his own hands.

I look at the man.

He who killed him.

He who killed him.

He who killed him.

My brain keeps repeating that same phrase dozens of times.

"What did you do, you ask?!" My eyes meet the man's.

I leave the master's body on the floor and walk toward him.

"You bastard!"

I go over to him and hang him with my bare hands.

"Gaah!" The man begins to struggle trying to escape.

"Does it hurt? You took away a single person I had!"

"I think that's enough, girl" A voice tells me.

When I look up, two policemen are on my side and they hold me down, pulling me off the man who is starting to vomit.

"Let me go!"

"I understand that you are angry, but look at the situation you are in"

The entire crowd looked at me in fear, instaurating a hellish silence in the place.

Who cares what this bunch of useless people think of me!

To hell with everything.

I really don't care about anything else.

37