Book 1: And so, it begins… || Chapter 9: The Ancient Dungeon (2)
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“CHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSS!!!”

 

Loud clanking of goblets and bellowing laughter filled the tents of the Yudonia camps. Happy men and women all embraced one another, chugging down their favourite beverage with one single gulp. Random warriors would break out in dance and bards would sing notes in pure euphoria. They had conquered the first floor of the S-Class Dungeon with next to no fatalities. Celebrating that one victory wasn’t that far-fetched. 

 

“Urgh, what’s with this no alcohol rule?!” One ranker spat out, clearly annoyed at the top-brass orders. “This atmosphere requires booze! Not this non-alcoholic shit!” He slammed his goblet on the desk, bringing huge laughs all around.

 

“We just conquered the first floor! There’s probably dozens more!” One of his buddies replied. “If we stop to drink every single time, we’ll be drunk throughout the future raids!!!”

 

“Buahahaha! If that’s the case, so be it!” The S-Ranker clamoured. “We should all attack the dungeon drunk! Maybe it’ll make those golems a little more attractive to fight!”

 

“Why? So that you could fuck ‘em?” 

 

“Shut it, Steve!!!”

 

“HAHAHAHA!!!” 

 

It was all fun and games in the temporary encampment. Now that the first level was cleared, the Rankers had some free time on their hands. At least until the S-Rank scouts return from the second floor. Central command was analysing the data collected from the raid, and the four group leaders were in a meeting with the Association President, plotting their next move. So, until their leaders have returned with an extensive plan in hand, the S-Rankers were essentially loafers, waiting for their next mission. 

 

“It really is quite crude here...” Aria complained as she sipped on her favourite diet soft drink. She didn’t like crowds, especially rowdy ones like these, but the allure of the free-flow bar for that legendary soda was too good to resist. The fizziness of the beverage was second to none and drinking it fresh from the tap really tingled her nerves and refreshed her soul. Furthermore, Yvette was here with Finn and Luke, so the social aspect was a little less jarring. 

 

“They’re rarely like that,” replied Luke, his handsome face looking into the crowd with his two arms rested on the counter. “It’s just the high of beating an S-Class Dungeon for the first time. All of their hearts are beating at a thousand kilometres an hour. They want some release.”

 

“The dungeon hasn’t been beaten,” Aria retorted. “We’d just cleared the first floor.”

 

“Still, it’s a good enough achievement.” Luke chuckled, his eyes closed and charming smile placed on full view. “Not many get to experience an S-Class Dungeon, let alone win over it. Who knows how many more casualties will occur on the deeper floors? It’s normal for them to feel a little thrilled. You felt the same way during the Gondor S-Class Dungeon Raid right?” The young man arched his neck and stared at his friend.

 

“I did…” Aria’s mood was dampened by the bitter memories of that dangerous raid. How many had died in that dungeon? How many would die in this one? Aria didn’t know, she didn’t want to know. “They’re only feeling happy because they hadn’t seen the hell that an S-Class Dungeon can unleash. Once that begins, none of them would dare to drink a toast.”

 

“But they don’t know,” Finn interjected. Aria, Luke and Finn were among the few people in the crowd that experienced the terror in Gondor. They knew how bad the situation was and how many Rankers had lost their lives. It really was hell on earth. However… 

 

“Since they are ignorant, let them be. At least they could make a few happy memories...” Finn shrugged his shoulders and downed his goblet of water. “And who knows? Maybe there wouldn’t be as many fatalities as the last time? Perhaps the High Command in Yudonia is better than the one in Gondor.”

 

‘Yeah, right...’ Aria scoffed mentally and ceased to talk. At times like these, it was best for her to just keep silent and mind her own business.

 

It wasn’t that she had no faith in Yudonia’s leadership, but an S-Class Dungeon was basically on another scale of existence. S-Class monsters, which never spawned in normal dungeons or elsewhere on earth, were the norm in those dungeons. Also, the amount of synergy those monsters had wouldn’t beat that of an S-Class party. There was also a mystery factor to those S-Class monsters. Each new S-Class monster that appears in the dungeon would possess different magic or physical attributes, no one really knew what.

 

Yudonia was lucky that only fifteen stone guardians that had already been battered by time were protecting the first floor. If there were a few dozen of them, the fights might have lasted for days upon days, with casualties mounting by the minute.

 

“That’s right, Aria! We should celebrate!” Yvette chugged down her favourite green tea and placed it on the bar where the bartender would come and give her a refill. “Your magic played a huge part in bringing down the stone guardians! You should be happy!”

 

“Yeah! Why didn’t you tell me that you knew how to cast High Teleport?” Luke dropped his left hand from the counter and pointed it semi-threateningly at the Archmagus. “If you had used High Teleport back in the day, we would have escaped so many perilous situations.”

 

Aria rolled her eyes and snorted. “I didn’t tell you because I didn’t have it back then. It’s only recently that I advanced my Space Magic.”

 

“Hah… Your growth rate never fails to astound me.” Finn shrugged his shoulders and replied with a helpless expression. 

 

“Magic just comes naturally to me. I am an Archmagus after all.” Aria took one full gulp, only to find out that her favourite soft drink had been voided. She raised her goblet and shook it to alert the bartender, before dropping Luke’s annoying hand down. “You also improved your elemental arrows as well. Others may not have seen it, but I sure have. You took down one of the birds with your explosive arrow.”

 

Luke rubbed his nose in embarrassment. “Compared to you learning High Teleport, that slight improvement is nothing. Ah, I know!” The young man reached into his bag and brought out a thick white marble slab, with nothing written on its surface. Aria and Yvette flinched when they saw the object. The Archmagus even spat out:

 

“You brought a Status Evaluation Plate? Where did you even get one of these?” Yvette queried, her eyes sparkling as she observed the marble plate. 

 

Just like its name suggests, the Status Evaluation Plate appraises the status of whoever touches its surface. Every single living being in the world had a status. Be it the flowers and trees or the humans and elves, they all have the innate ability to call out their own status plate for viewing. Some beings may even have the Appraisal skill, allowing them to view the status plate of others. However, nothing in the world could beat a Status Evaluation Plate when it comes to appraisal.

 

Regular rankers could view two windows of their status. The one containing the basic information such as name, species or gender and the one showing their respective stats for Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Constitution and Willpower. However, Status Evaluation Plates could bring out one additional window, one that was unknown to the user itself.

 

The window showing one’s Skills, Magic and Resistance. 

 

“I bought it as an investment.” Luke smiled. “As an Elemental Archer, I need to keep track on how to improve my elemental affinities after all!”

 

“You sure are willing to splurge...” Yvette raised her brow and stared at the man whom she thought was always frivolous. Status Evaluation Plates were scarce due to how rare the material was to make one, and with that rarity came an exponential price hike. Even Yvette, who comfortably resides within the top one percent of Yudonia’s earners, needs to save up for a full year before she could land her hands on a Status Evaluation Plate. Only countries and Ranker Associations would have one of these on hand at all times.

 

“I got lucky...” Luke scratched the back of his head, a little bashful from the praise that the gorgeous elf had given him. However, he quickly recovered and pushed the marble slab into Aria’s face. “Come on, touch it! I want to see how much you’ve grown!”

 

“...” The Archmagus was tempted to turn him down again, but she too felt curious about her own progress. Her left hand slowly moved towards the plate, and when its longest finger touched the tip of the slab, golden letters began to write itself down rapidly and soon…

 

Name: Aria Saciustrum 

Species: Human

Gender: Female

Job: Archmagus

Class: S

Age: 23 years

Strength: 19

Dexterity: 11

Intelligence: 390

Wisdom: 375

Constitution: 181

Willpower: 210

Skills: [Higher Research - Level 9] [Higher Understanding - Level 9] [Read All Creation - Level 9] [Telepathy - Level 7] [Though Acceleration - Level 7] [Heightened Senses - Level 5] [Precognition - Level 5] [Telekinesis - Level 3] [Appraisal - Level 2] [Lesser Rejuvenation - Level 8]

Magic: [Higher Space Magic - Level 8] [Higher Fire Magic - Level 7] [Higher Water Magic - Level 7] [Higher Earth Magic - Level 7] [Higher Wind Magic - Level 7] [Higher Lightning Magic - Level 7] [Creation Magic - Level 9] [Summoning Magic - Level 7] [Barrier Magic - Level 5] [Light Magic - Level 4] [Healing Magic - Level 3] [Void Magic - Level 2] [Darkness Magic - Level 2] [Lesser Arcane Magic - Level 6] [Lesser Time Magic - Level 6] [Lesser Transformation Magic - Level 3]

Resistances: [Higher Mental Resistance - Level 2] [Magical Resistance - Level 5] [Lesser Poison Resistance - Level 8] [Lesser Physical Resistance - Level 2]

 

“Wow… Your magic versatility is as frightening as ever.” Finn marvelled as he breathed down the Archmagus’ neck. “Honestly, you should become an Elementalist with those proficiencies in Elemental Magic.”

 

“Elemental magic is just the easiest version of magic one can learn, so I accidentally became good at it, that’s all.” Aria didn’t care for the praise. Back when she was first discovered to have the talent of a magician, the first few spells that her school would teach her were always basic elemental spells such as ‘Fireball’ or ‘Wind Blade.’ Throughout her early years as a student and then dungeon diver, Aria had enhanced her Elemental Magic to its upper tier. Though, now that she didn’t have any use for them as a Magic Researcher, those stats were just good for show. However, there was one stat that brought a smile to her face.

 

‘My Creation Magic is level 9… Two more levels until I can upgrade it to Higher Creation Magic.’

 

Aria’s Creation Magic was the first one she had ever developed. She had painstakingly trained it for three years now, and it was finally on the verge of evolving. Aria felt like she was watching a seed that she planted grow, and it was about to become a fully-fledged tree. Still, there was a long way to go if Aria wanted to master it.

 

“You upgraded your Space Magic to the higher tier… And it’s Level 4… Really, why do I even bother training so hard?” Luke dropped his head, feeling inferior about himself. Aria was once part of their little group, but now, it was as if she were on a whole other plane. All of them were young S-Rankers. The most prodigal group in all of Yudonia. However, Aria was just in a realm of her own.

 

“You shouldn’t compare yourself to Aria. She’s just a freak.” The blonde elf sighed and consoled Luke.

 

“Hey! Who are you calling a freak?” The Archmagus protested, only to find all three of them staring impishly at her. Realising she’s outnumbered, Aria abruptly changed the topic. “Anyway, you saw my stats! Let me see yours now! It’s only fair!”

 

“Haha, an eye for an eye?” Luke chortled and took back the Status Evaluation Plate. Just as he was about to place his finger on the surface, the honoured secretary of the Association’s President barged into the tent, her face red and ghast. Seeing the faces she was sent to bring, she hollered:

 

“We’ve encountered a problem! All S-Rankers are to report in the conference tent immediately!!! The President wants to meet with all of you!!!”

 

The festive mood instantly died out. Goblets were thrown onto the table and hurried feet shuffled out of the tent. None of them bothered to ask what the problem was. If the Association President wanted to meet with them, all they needed to do was to comply and get their asses there as soon as they could.

 

“Looks like we have to postpone the evaluations.” Luke joked and returned his Status Evaluation Plate into his bag. 

 

“Yeah...” Aria thought that it was a shame that she couldn’t see Luke, Finn or Yvette’s stats, but orders were orders. Following the crowd out into the conference tent, she couldn’t help but wonder...

 

‘What problem have they encountered?’

2