Arc 5: Chapter 39: “Thunderbolt” Ross’ Conspiracy
100 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There indeed was the use of nuclear weapons when Merlin's team was hunting for the Decepticon warriors.

But that was not a nuclear weapon of the traditional sense, to be exact, that was an advanced technology that the scientists of SHIELD had reverse-engineered from the Kree cruiser missiles.

It could be seen as a type of clean nuclear weapon.

After impacting and exploding, the radiation produced would weaken and completely disappear in a few hours, thus it will not cause any catastrophic damage to the life of the area.

But a nuclear weapon was still a nuclear weapon, for the DoD had detected the presence of atomic radiation after the two 'needle' missiles fired by the electromagnetic cannon had exploded.

At first, the big shots of the DoD had thought that another country had launched a nuclear attack on America, this even caused panic amongst the leadership of the DoD.

But only when the radiation they had detected quickly weakened, did the generals of the DoD realize that it was in fact a new type of weapon they didn't know about.

And it was because of this new weapon that 'Sector Seven's cooperation with the Decepticons was forcibly halted, even taking heavy casualties when retaliated by the Decepticons.

This was not what the generals of the DoD wished to see, thus they had quickly locked onto the mysterious third party that interfered with Sector Seven's affairs.

After nearly a month of tracking, they had finally confirmed the identity of that mysterious third party.

Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate, or SHIELD. Formerly the Strategic Scientific Reserve famous during the Cold War, and after years of staying dormant, these spiteful bastards seem to have begun interfering with other departments' affairs under the leadership of that spiteful Nick Fury.

"Nuclear weapons?"

Pierce blinks his eyes and takes a deep breath of his cigar, saying:

"How do I not know about it? Is there a casualty report? Also, where was the site of the nuclear explosion? Do I need to send a rescue team?"

"You!"

The elderly Thaddeus immediately frowns at Pierce's default statement, he slams on the table:

"Don't play these tricks with me, Pierce. I don't believe that you don't know about the operation of those agents under your wing, and I don't want to talk with SHIELD's cunning liar of the director, I just want back what was ours!"

"Give us 98084-3, and SHIELD can keep the other wreckage of the mechanical lifeform! This is our bottom line!"

"Tch, typical soldier's way of acting."

Pierce sighs, he puts down his cigar and says:

"Thaddeus, I know you miss the battlefield, but look around you, we're not in a war anymore. You're Chief of Staff now, and as much as you don't want to admit it, you too are a politician now, so stop trying to get what you want like a soldier...what I mean is, SHIELD won't return this mechanical lifeform to you."

Thaddeus immediately wants to retort after hearing Pierce's statement, but Pierce stops him.

He looks at his old buddy and says softly:

"It's not because SHIELD wants all the honor, and you know the real reason clearer than anyone, Thaddeus. You want to maintain your independence and wish not to be interfered with...then I'll have to ask you this, Thaddeus, what the hell are you soldiers disobeying orders for?"

"Are you secretly plotting something dangerous? Are you grouping together and studying dangerous alien technology to subvert the current world order?"

"We're not!"

Thaddeus grits his teeth:

"Don't simply accuse us, Pierce! You're speaking dangerous words!"

"What you're doing is even more dangerous!"

Pierce slams on the table and says coldly:

"What's the difference between you now and the soldiers who landed in Japan? Disobeying the president's orders, and standing against the WSC!"

"I'll tell you the truth, Thaddeus, I gave the order for SHIELD to interfere with your cooperation with the mechanical lifeforms, but not to take something from you, it's a warning! If you keep this up and do not accept the security evaluation of the WSC, then I'll take the next move and destroy your 'Sector Seven' once and for all!"

Pierce's words made Thaddeus' expression change.

A few seconds later, he says softly:

"Looks like you know a lot, Pierce."

"What do you mean?"

Pierce holds his cigar and leans against the sofa, saying with exhaustion:

"If you mean the 'Sector Seven' you've been keeping under wraps for so long, then I do know quite a lot about it."

"SHIELD's not just for decoration, and the authority to contain and secure dangerous affairs isn't given out so casually by the WSC. It is our eyes, and when necessary, it is our weapon."

"I even know that your secret projects aren't just limited to 'Sector Seven'."

Pierce says:

"The recently initiated Project 'X', the 'Super Soldier' project that's currently being prepared for; you're hiding too many secrets, so many that even I wonder why, Thaddeus, why are you doing this?"

"We're in times of peace now, why are you still researching these dangerous things? In other words, who else ate you thinking of as a potential enemy after the fall of the Soviet Union?"

Facing Pierce's questions, General Thaddeus says with a gloomy expression:

"You're not the only one terrified by the Kree attack, Pierce. We understood our weakness and fear that day, we know that. These, all of this, is to fulfill our duty as soldiers. Is SHIELD not doing the same? Are they not gathering special people from around the world?"

"I never said that you were wrong."

Pierce waves his hand:

"I can understand your way of thinking, this is why the WSC has tolerated your doings thus far."

"But it's time to end this isolation, Thaddeus, you should join the current structure and accept the monitoring and evaluation of the WSC; we know we're weak and need the power to protect ourselves, but that if we don't destroy ourselves in lab experiments."

"So, we won't be getting anywhere unless we accept the interference of the WSC?"

Thaddeus looks at Pierce, who shrugs:

"It's a start. Our talk can only proceed when we have the same goal in an orderly structure we maintain and build together."

"So..."

Pierce looks at the elderly general before him and stands up, he takes a document out from the cabinet behind him and puts it in front of General Thaddeus; he taps on the document and says:

"Do you agree?"

"We..."

General Thaddeus looks at the document and says to Pierce with a deep tone:

"Personally, I agree, you know me, Pierce, I'm a soldier that does his duty. But not everyone else is like me, a lot of people only value the interests of the DoD, it won't be easy to convince them to share their secrets with more people."

"Interests...so you want to talk with me about interests?"

Pierce squints his eyes, and just as Thaddeus thought that his old friend was about to rage a dozen seconds later, Pierce smiles and says gently:

"Alright, we'll talk about interests then. Say it, Thaddeus, what exactly do the generals of the DoD want?"

Thaddeus was relieved to see his friend in a calm state, he knew this was going to be a hard job to do before he came, but so far, everything's been smooth.

The elderly general places the cigar in his hand aside and crosses his fingers, after a few seconds of gathering words, he tells Pierce:

"When 'Sector Seven' was first founded, it was to study mechanical lifeforms to enhance our civilization. Facts show that this was effective, the Apollo Moon missions, the Star Wars program; Sector Seven had contributed advanced technology for them. But the aim of this plan had changed following the Kree war."

"When we realized that our current prowess was incapable of protecting our country and people, the radical faction took the upper hand. Including our risky cooperation with the mechanical lifeform, all of this was to acquire a way to quickly increase our power from those advanced mechanical lifeforms."

"Have you found it then?"

Pierce asks, to which Thaddeus nods:

"Multiple ways to use data more efficiently, some complex chips, a prototype for some kind of powerful energy weapon; we acquired plenty, but we want more!"

The elderly general says softly:

"SHIELD acquired 98084-3, which was our original target. We plan on dissecting it to further research mechanical lifeforms, but we've lost this chance."

"We need it."

"Nick Fury won't give it back to you."

Pierce shakes his head:

"SHIELD's containment authority is given to it by the WSC, I can't do anything if Fury insists on so."

"Then we'll take a step back."

Thaddeus' expression changes, this seemingly brash old fox finally reveals its true aim as he tells Pierce:

"SHIELD can have 98084-3, it is their trophy of war after all. But in exchange, we'll need that weapon that could easily destroy mechanical lifeforms...I mean, that clean nuclear weapon."

This..."

Pierce had a difficult expression as he says:

"I doubt that Fury will agree to this."

That's why I went around him and came straight to you."

Thaddeus picks up the document from the table, puts it in his briefcase, and tells Pierce:

"Everyone knows that that troublesome agent leader will only listen to you. We'll join the monitoring structure under the WSC, but we really need that technology too, so please, Pierce."

Pierce contemplates while playing with his cigar, saying:

"I'll...try. And, about 'Sector Seven'?"

"We'll welcome the evaluators from the WSC."

General Thaddeus stands up and tells Pierce:

"Sector Seven will await your arrival."


A few hours later, Pierce makes a call to Nick Fury in his office.

"Fury, the soldiers of the DoD just paid me a visit, and they're quite cumbersome to deal with."

"But I trust that you did."

Far in Nevada, Fury says so casually:

"You always can."

"Yes, I dealt with them, been got you authorization to evaluate 'Sector Seven'."

Pierce says:

"But they have their demands."

"Oh?"

Fury's eyes light up as he lowers his voice and asks:

"What demand?"

"They want the tech for the Kree missile."

Pierce says:

"They even want you to hand over Merlin...they accused Merlin and his team of using nuclear weapons on home territory, which is an act against humanity."

"Don't even think about it!"

Fury says without hesitation:

"To hell with those soldiers, I will not hand over one of my agents!"

"I refused them too."

Pierce leans against his seat and picks up the document on the table, on the document were Merlin's details and a somewhat serious image of him.

Pierce looks at the photo and says calmly:

"But they won't give up so easily, the 'needle' missile technically is a nuclear weapon, and if the DoD stays on this, Merlin will have a hard time getting out of it; you should send Merlin away for now. What I mean is, send him further away, somewhere the DoD can't touch him."

"I'll consider it."

Fury replies, to which Pierce says:

"You have to give up something to dismiss those warlike generals, what I mean is, you still have a sample on those Kree missiles, right? Give them one of it, and it's up to them to study something from it."

"I doubt that it's a good idea, Pierce."

Fury retorts:

"They're unmonitored and show signs of danger."

"In fact, they've already entered the WSC's structure, this much you can relax on."

Pierce explains:

"SHIELD can keep 98084-3, this is the request I made, and they agreed to it. So, using the authority to evaluate 'Sector Seven' and the secrets of that mechanical lifeform, in exchange for technology that's bound to be researched, Fury...this is a good trade."

"I can understand, but..."

Fury takes a deep breath, and after dozens of seconds of silence, he says:

"Alright, I can understand the pressure you're under, Pierce. I won't make it hard for you, so I'll hand them a sample of the Kree wreckage."

"Mmm, and with Merlin soon-to-be transferred, we'll need a trustworthy and capable agent to evaluate Sector Seven. I think that agent Jasper Sitwell would do nicely, he's hardworking and sharp, and can find things other people would otherwise miss; what do you think?"

"I'll consider it, Pierce, sorry for troubling you this time."

As Fury hangs up the call, he turns to Hill and says:

"Hill, head over to Pegasus Base immediately and dismantle all the important chips inside that Kree cruise missile!"

"Sir, are you sure about this?"

Hill asks with doubt:

"The DoD won't be swayed so easily."

"Heh, I only said to give them a sample."

Fury says coldly:

"But I never said that it would be complete! Do it, also, patch me up with Merlin, I have a favor I have to ask of him."

 

6