Chapter 01: The Monster “Awakens”
499 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yggdrasil, a game that defined the meaning of DMMO-RPG.

Released in the year 2126, it practically assassinated all the other DMMO-RPG games due to how massive and extensive the world of the game was.

The player freedom, higher than any game ever released before and in it's time, it got a lot of fame and recognition.

It gave a huge variety of options for the players to choose, from thousands of items, hundreds of classes, both job and racial, giving an unprecedented level of control for the players to go wild and do what they wanted as long as they abided by the few rules of proper conduct.

Treasure hunting, exciting adventures, battles, raids, and even epic bosses that force the players to cooperate.

It had all that and more.

The game's hype and fame in it's peak was unreal, as dozens of thousands of the population of Japan was playing it.

For years, it stood strong and resilent, never breaking in the face of the competition.

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and even this game fell from it's glory, as people were leaving it permanantly.

Pollution of the real world, the unsustainable dystopia where you must have a job lest you die from starvation if not to just survive another day, and the toxic gas and rain that would kill you if you go out without a mask to protect your body.

In the end, after 12 years, it was decided by the developpers that the game will be closed.


Helheim, one of the nine realms of Yggdrasil, and one where Heteromorphs mainly resided, contained many secrets.

Unique landscape, exotic secret areas, and many secret dungeons to be explored, and dungeons that are still unconquered.

Our story is about the residents of such a dungeon.

A huge temple nearly reaching fifty meters in height, colored black and grey.

It was called the Temple of Thana.

Dozens of pitch black pillars made of brimstone in front of it, as if making a path for those daring to challenge the undefeatable monsters in this area.

The atmosphere surrounding the place seemed creepy, miserable, with the scenery of red bones around the pillars and close to the dungeon, giving an eerie feeling.

The door that was the entrance to the dungeon was differently colored blood-red, but that wasn't what was disturbing in the door.

It was the eye engraved on the door, crying tears of black, as if to represent pain and suffering.

Entering the dungeon, you will be facing the monsters in the first floor, which are, predictably, weak undead like the normal sekeletons and zombies.

Surviving the First floor, you will be given access to the Second floor which is under the first one, where the undead you fight are tougher, and are the type that can inflict few negative status, including poison, blindness, multiple stats debuffs. Nothing of a challenge to a mid-leveled players and parties.

Going down further into the Third floor, and you find monsters such as vampires and ghosts, along with the other previously mentioned monsters attacking you, with the main threat being level 75-80, and you now need resistance against multiple powerful status effects, and have resistance to dark, necromancy and instant death magic lest you won't survive.

Reaching the fourth floor, your opponents will be some of the highest undead, including Overlords and True Vampires, along with a small horde of other weaker monsters, and for this floor, a need for powerful holy magic is absolutely mandatory, along with the many other resistances, otherwise, you are already dead.

After you manage to survive all those obstacles, you can finally reach the room of the Boss of this Temple.

The boss room is a room colored black and multiple shades of grey, the walls having giant carved blank red eyes crying blood.

The floor, colored a nasty purple, has a huge black pentagram drawn on it, two circles surrounding it, and in the space between the two circles, the phrase "Sacrifice your soul for The End." written in Greek language and taking half of the space, and the phrase "for only obedience to The End frees oneself from the Suffering of Life." was written in Norse language, taking the rest of the space.

And finally, the final boss shows itself.

A throne made of red and black bones, glowing in the room, giving a chilling sensation, and sitting on the chair, was her.

A female nearly 7 feet tall, with a voluptuous figure not hiding her d-cup bust.

Had this been the only thing to identify her, this Boss would be considered "sexy", but she was different than what most considered "normal", as she should be as the Boss of a temple full of undead.

Her skin, colored a reddish-grey, and her hair a dull black.

Her whole eyes completely black except small red pupils giving the feeling of having your very soul watched.

Her mouth seemed to be melting, as if affected by a permanant rotting flesh curse.

Her whole face taking a blank expression, as if nothing means anything to her.

She wore a strapless black dress with detached sleeves, and a skirt reaching the floor with a pair of belts around the middle.

One of the belts has a buckle looking like a skull.

The skirt hid her legs that were covered by a black long stocking and black crystal-looking shoes.

The female Boss was wearing red earrings, and equipped on her head, there were two glassy orbs glowing with a faint red color, and her hair tied in a pony-tail.

On her hand was a scythe as long as her height; it had a large dark grey blade and a head carved to resemble a decaying skull with red eyes.

It's pommel and upper edge had two spiked projections.

This Boss was not a normal Dungeon Boss monster, but a Boss among the Bosses: A World Enemy.

Her name was Thana, the Goddess of the Death, Underworld, Shadows, Misery and Magic.

This Boss was not existing since the beginning of the game, it was added sometimes after the tenth year of Yggdrasil's existence in an attempt to get more hype for the game, but it was too little too late.

Her backstory was one full of carnage.

According to the lore written in her code, she was a Human Hero named Thana, with a golden hair and sky blue eyes, a pearl-white skin.

A human hero blessed by the power to absorb the power of the Gods themselves.

She was born and grew in an era where some of the more violent deities were causing rampages and exterminating all the life in Yggdrasil, with the main ones being Hel the goddess of Helheim and Souls, Eris the goddess of Misery, and Achylis the goddess of Death.

Following them in their rampage were the Human demi-deities, Scathach the ruler of Shadows and Hecate the ruler of Magic.

Thana had to fight them, using all her powers and breaking her limits over and over, trying to keep standing, to keep surviving against the opponents and their armies, going too close to death too many times.

But she survived. She won.

She managed to finally not only kill those absurdly powerful deities, but she also absorbed all their essences to make sure they never revived.

Unfortunately, the combined power of three goddesses and the many warriors on their side was too much to process safely,

Her white beautiful skin became reddish grey, her enchanting blue eyes turned black with dots, and her hair became black and dull.

Her mind, not able to deal with the strain of such tremendous and negative energy of death and misery, was consumed, losing all the feelings of love and respect for life, and a new uncontrollable and unsatiable desire for causing death and despair in the world was born.

Her holy weapon, once a sign for holiness and purity, was corrupted, twisted into a scythe that reaps the souls and kills almost everything except her with just a slash. This was her unique World Class Item; Thana's Scythe of Absolute End.

Her heavenly armor, once shining and modest, turned into a black dress that showed her cleavage, and her head armor transformed into black orbs residing on her head. That was her second and third World Items, Dress of Oblivion and Cataclysm (dress), and the Bobble of Sorrow(headwear), giving her the ability to absorb the power of any dark-elemental and necromancy spells targetting her, and restoring her own life force instead.

The desire consumed her, turning her into a monster who despises life in all it's form, believing in the superiority of the Undead.

The power of the fallen deities were hers to fully command, but the cost was her Absorbtion ability being completely deleted, never to exist again, but it made little difference when she started her rampage, killing any and every thing around her, and turning them into undeads.

But her rampage was not permanant, as many of the gods in Yggdrasil worked, and managed to lock her in her jail, that is now her Temple, until the end of Yggdrasil.

A curse was put on her, forbidding her from exiting her jail, and forcing her to have nothing to do but fight a,d kill any invader who dares to enter her jail, unable to use them to help her exit this cursed prison she was locked in.

And there she was, sealed in this damn dungeon, unable to satisfy her primal urges to kill and bring despair, or even turn intruders into undead due to them constantly disappearing when dying!

At least, that was what her lore was, and how she was supposed to feel about the situation.

As a World Enemy, her methods of fighting was primarily dependant on using Magic more than physical attacks, she was made to be able to use a huge variety of spells from every element existing, and spells that can inflict a lot of status effects, with the main ones being dark magic, necromancy, and debuffing spells along with ones negating the buffs of the Players and any who manages to face her.

Her strategy was mainly peppering the enemy party with debuffs, and inflicting high doses of negative status sich as stun, poison, slow, burn, etc, then finishing them with powerful attacks.

Before using her more powerful finishers, she willl constantly be on the move, using weaker spells to keep the debuffs strong or to lower the HP of the players.

Thana does as well have high physical attack stat, nowhere as powerful as her magical attack stat, of course, just barely higher than some World Champions, and while her physical attacks can't deal that much damage on their own, her scythe's unique effects always activate when a hit lands true: A powerful 100% chance to inflict instant death, along with an extra effect to negate any resistance to instant death, wether racial or due to the equipments of the players for a duration of 10 seconds.

To keep it simple, it works like an algorithm; if the player was hit but didn't die due to their instant death resistance, the scythe turns said resistance into zero for the next 10 seconds, and if the same player was hit then without other precautions to protect them, they automatically die.

This made fighting with her in close combat a nightmare.

On the defensive side, Thana's magical defense is so high that it's almost useless to use any magic of the eigth tier or less against her, with only her physical defense being on the weak side, barely as high as Touch Me's broken defense, add to that her immense HP pool and you get an almost-impossible battle where players end up more likely than not using all their ressurection skills and items and still lose simply due to how hard her defenses are.

And that's not even talking about her elemental and stat resistances, as she is immune to instant death and slow and many debuffs, but many of the status she isn't outright immune to, she has high resistance against, such as poison and burn and stun, diminishing their effectiveness against her.

Elements-wise, she outright absorbs dark damage, using it to heal herself instead, and she has resistance to almost all elements except holy and fire magic due to being undead. And even then, her weakness to fire and holy damage is not as high as other undead monsters.

There were of course theories among the players on how this boss was made this impossibly difficult on purpose, and one of the proofs towards such theories were the fact that the rewards of defeating such boss were hinted at in the dungeon;

The rewards being the players getting unique World Enemy class from the Undead race, acquiring three World Items, which are the very equipments Thana was wearing; a little weaker of course so the game won't be any more unbalanced than it already is.

Needless to say, no one was able to defeat her, and she just stayed there on her chair for who knows how long now.

But, things always change, and even this world enemy's situation, is not immune to it.

As the game was decided to have it's servers closed, the story of Thana and her Temple will get quite a bit of spice.


Tonight, Yggdrasil's game will be no more.

This night, at midnight to be precise, the game, and everything in it will be deleted, never to appear again.

There's only 3 minutes left until the game shuts down.

Thana was sitting on her chair of bones, looking blankly in front of her.

Or at least, that's what would be happening normally.

That was not what was happening currently.

Currently, she was in the middle of a battle with a group of players.

Normally, no reasonable person will think of having their last moments in the game fighting a hopeless boss battle against one of the most difficult monsters, even more so when they had to go through the previous floors first, but some people are just like that.

This group of players constitued of 20 members, being a group of humanoids, the group had 9 Humans, 4 Elves, 5 dwarves and two dark Elves.

All of them were 100 level players with high level equipments, with at least a Divine-class item, and with some cool appearances and even some stereotypical ones.

"[Vermillion Nova]!"

An Elf mage, with a big breasted avatar and a ridiculously risky swimsuit-like armor that seemingly barely hid her bust shouted, and the scene was engulfed with flames as Thana took damage but it was barely more than a drop to her HP pool.

Thana raised her scythe towards her and slashed, but one of the dark elves used a whip to save her from the slash.

A handsome man wearing a white armor and a glowing sword took the chance to attack with his holy-elemental sword directly into Thana's chest.

The Boss still too open from her last swing raised her arm, minimising the damage of a critical hit.

"[Deadly Charm]!"

Thana's feminine yet disturbing voice intoned, and an opaque black sphere spread and debuffed the party's defenses.

She easily threw the male away, and directly went towards another female who wore priestes clothes; the healer.

At this point, only 10 seconds remained until the shutdown, and the group was desiring to finish their last moments fighting. Wether the battle suddenly ended or not meant nothing, they simply cared about messing around in the game till their last virtual breaths.

This time, Thana's strike went unempeded as she hit the whips of the player trying to protect the healer woman wth her free hand.

Nine seconds left.

The scythe struck, and the healer's resistance to instant death became null for the next 10 seconds, but the healer finally got the chance to retreat before another attack starts.

Eight seconds remained.

"[God's Light]!" the healer shouted, and light shined from above, restoring some of the party members' HP that was depleted along with nulifying some of their debuffs.

Seven seconds remained.

Two of the dwarves cast some weapon enchanting buffs as three humans and the two other elves attacked with fire and holy elemental weapons and spells.

Six seconds.

Thana got a strike on her head with a holy-powered arrow, and an attack with a spear on her stomach and blocked an axe slash directed at her head.

Five seconds.

Thana released a dark spell [Mercy of Undeath], and her scythe glowed black before she slashed it horizontally, and a black circle with red eyes was unleashed, knocing the players close to her and damaging them.

Four seconds.

The players rose up, making another attempt using ranged attacks.

Three seconds.

Thana used a spell which dispelled their magic before it reached, and as according to her AI, she moved to deal with the pesky healer woman.

Two seconds.

The healer woman retreated few steps, as Thana quickly reached her, her scythe raised to deal the final blow to kill her.

One second.

The handsome male with the sword was right behind the preistess-like woman, his sword striking directly towards Thana's mouth, just as the scythe was falling down towards the healer.

The entire group was feeling glad and excited as they will be ending this game fighting leaving this game with a bang.

They cherished the moments they had in this game.

They will not forget those moments.

It was a shame though that they coulddn't smile in their game avatars, as that would have been a perfect way to leave the game.

And finally, the time had come.

Zero.

The screen turned black, and more than a dozen person awoke in the real world, feeling the euphoria of such finale, helping them face the dystopia that was their real world.

Or, that was what was supposed to happen.

What actually happened instead was much more different than any of the humanoids had expected.

Blood.

Red blood.

A body of a woman suffering a heavy slash made by a black scythe, it's blade piercing into the supple and fragile-looking body of the female elf.

The scythe slammed into the ground, creating a loud clang! in it's wake.

A body fell down on the ground, blood oozing and making a red puddle as an the deceased elf's face showed surprise. Her avatar- no- she couldn't change her facial expressions in response to the sudden sensation of pain caused by the scythe, before her body was forcefully shut down, her soul forced to exit due to the Scythe's instant death ability.

Another blood.

This time, a black blood was spilling.

Spilling from Thana, and caused from a wound that was made from a holy sword literally slashing at her mouth, entering from a cheek, and exiting from the other. If blood was no longer existent, she would resemble the Slit-Mouthed Woman legend.

As black blood was spilling, her eyes for the first time since the battle widened, as Thana's pupils narrowed, expressing her shock, as a sensation of pain flared in her body, something she had never felt before.

"Eh?"

The 'Hero' male only said that as his face, smiling, more out of shock than anything else, and because of the previous sensation of euphoria was still present.

Silence.

The entire place was suddenly silent.

For few seconds no sound was hears as the players looked at Thana, and the body of their comrade, that were, for the first time, bleeding. Heavily.

It was too surreal, too sudden and unexpected for them to believe the sight in front of them, thinking that this is the game, and that this is just some bug that was occuring, or maybe some secret update and that the game's shutdown was delayed.

Thana meanwhile, raised her free hand and touched her mouth.

A sensation of something liquid came to her brain, even though she had never felt how a liquid would feel.

She looked at the black liquid coating her fingers.

It was her blood, her mind reasoned.

Even though she doesn't recall ever bleeding before.

So... How?

It was at that moment, that she felt her entire life flash in front of her.

She remembers how she was born as a human girl, growing and saving humanity.

She remembers her training deligently to learn magic and fighting with swords, and she remembers training her gift of power absorbing.

She can recall herself feeling hurt, sad, injured, and can remember when she stood against Hel and the other deities and their servants, how she never hesitated, until she killed them and made sure they can no longer revive.

Thana can feel the raging power of those monsters, corrupting her, turning her into the abomination she was now, but she felt no regret, just acceptance and a desire to turn the world into one made of undead.

The next memory was her losing to the other gods, and being locked in her temple, until the end of Yggdrasil, as she had fought the Players, those selfish creatures who wanted to take her power.

Wait.

"What's going on!?"

The panicked voice of one of the guys woke her up from her reminiscence, and she looked at the male guy, who looked at his screaming friend, leaving himself open to her.

Her scythe in her hand, she slashed at him, her weapon making a cut in his armor, and knocking the guy as blood sprouted from his chest, and he screamed a shrill yell of pain, which finally awoke the rest of the group.

They screamed in horror as they realized just how wrong this situation, and that they needed to escape right now.

One of the elves ran towards the guy, planning to heal him or drag him out of this place while the rest shakingly pointed their weapons at her.

"He, hehehe, hahahaHAHAHAHA!"

Thana now realized what just happened.

They are no longer in Yggdrasil. No longer bound by the rules or laws.

Now if she killed them, their bodies won't disappear, and she can even use their equipments if the laws of this world allowed it.

And most importantly, she isn't bound in this place any longer. Now she can go out of this place, and fulfil her desire of having a world of nothing but undead.

But first, she needs to deal with those idiots.

"[Grasp Heart]!"

An imaginary heart appeared in her hand, and she crushed it, causing one of the humans standing in her way to be stunned instead of killed due to the instant death resistance, blood forcefully ejecting from his mouth.

The rest of the group wouldn't have normally averted their eyes on a boss like her, had this been still the game, but now that blood is real, and pain is real, and still in shock, theu looked at their comrade.

A big mistake.

"[World of Sacrifice]!"

This was one of her more powerful spells, the equal to a super-tier spell from the players.

Of course, for a World Enemy like her, she doesn't need time to cast the spell, but at the cost of needing longer time to cast spells of the same level.

A pentagram magic circle came into existence, expanding until it had almost all of them into the area, then a powerful ray of darkness, colored red and black came from above, and hit everyone in the area.

The spell's ability is to drain the MP and HP of those hit by it, and that's what happened.

Almost all the humanoids except the elf and the male hero-like guy who were the only one outside of the range screamed in pain, as they felt their life forces and magic power drained, and with the injuries they sustained in their HP before, they didn't survive.

All what was left of them were corpses that looked as if their age was stolen from them, their faces expressing agony.

And all who was left in the room was Thana, and a now surprisingly healed guy, and that pesky elf.

They both were horrified, shaking in fear, but they also had an expression of fury on their faces.

"Y-you!" the male clutched his sword tightly, even if his arms were shaking.

Thana could only feel amused at him, at how much of an idiot he was for facing her.

"Yes, me. Now die! [Triplet Maximise Magic: Reality Slash]!"

Three slashes went towards the horrified duo, a slash attacking the human, another attacking the elf, and the last managing to hit both of them at the same time.

They died, as their body of each split in two, never to see life again.

Thana looked around for a moment, making sure that no one was there to attack her.

When all was clear, she laughed.

It was a small laugh, but then it grew, and became a hysterical and insane laugh.

To think, that this actually happened.

To think, that she had somehow been given the chance to be free from the curse of Yggdrasil.

To be free to unleash despair and death on this New World.


STATUS:
Thana, the Goddess of the Death, Underworld, Shadows, Misery and Magic.
Classes:
Undead Entity(15)
Corrupted by Undeath(10)
Corrputed by Evil(10)
Goddess of Evil(5)
World Enemy(5)

Magic Governor(15)
Death Governor(10)
Misery Governor(10)
Shadow Governor(10)
Underworld Governor(10)
Soul Tormentor(5)
Death Bringer(5)
Corruptor(5)

Total Level: 115

45 racial classes, 70 job classes.

Again, another Overlord idea of mine.

Currently a one-shot, might get more chapters later or might not.

If you want to make your fic using this concept, I totally accept.

10