Chapter 04
251 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fourth chapter. Hope you enjoy it.

"So, Quagoa can grow stronger by eating rare ores and this is why you are in war with the dwarves, and if the worst scenario came, you'll ask help from the frost dragons, huh?"

Thana summed the story of what Pe Riyuro told her under the effect of the Dominate spell, the Quagoa looking like a soulless machine as he looked blankly at the air since he stopped talking.

The other surviving Quagoa were already contained in the larger rooms of the building that she now identified as the long-destroyed merchant guild of the dwarves, surrounded by dozens of Death Knights as she had determined that this level of 'security' is more than enough against such weak beings.

Though she and the now undead players were quite surprised and intrigued by the strange phenomena of summoning a Death Knight close to random dead bodies resulted in some black goo manifesting from her arm and attaching to the corpse and transforming it into the undead in question. Thana could feel some differences between the death knights created using corpses and the ones created without, though she wasn't completely sure what they were exactly, so she filed that until further notice.

With that, there was the question of what they would do to the dwarves and the frost dragons

"So, Thana-sama. I believe we would also turn dwarves and the rest into undead?" Ami asked, even though the answer was obvious.

"Indeed. That's my goal in this world, for now at least." came the answer, and Thana didn't need to see them to feel their bows or nods of compliance.

"If that's what you wish, Thana-sama." Kiyomi spoke with reverence.

Thana looked at her for a moment before returning her focus towards the Quagoa leader as a gray aura radiated from her body.

"Now, we should start turning some of the Quagoa into undead. Next will be the frost dragons then the dwarves."

With that, runes and magic circles appeared with Thana as the center, expanding to almost three meters before shattering, the glow intensifying.

"[Fog of Corruption]"

As the words left her mouth, a dense gray fog appeared, rapidly spreading in the large building.

As the living Quagoa breathed in the fog around them, they started caughing, finding it more difficult to breathe as they tried desperately to escape, but with the undead surrounding them, there was none.

They fell one by one, and the ones who were already dead or succumbed to it due to the fog she had unleashed-

Had stood once again, their skins taking a gray-ish hue, and their eyes no longer holding any sensation of life as they growled with rage.

Thana gave a smile at that, the links to her new undead forming in the back of her head.

And as the new army of undead went to kneel in front of her, the fog started to dissipate like it was never there.

"Wow..."

She looked at the undead players along with the nameless overlord who looked at the situation with various looks of surprise and awe.

"What was that spell?"

It was Rei, the former 'hero knight' who asked the question, and the world enemy could feel all of them asking the question in their minds.

"Heh. I guess you could classify it as a Super-Tier spell of mine. Though it's more of the weaker ones, and practically useless against anyone higher than level 60."

Thana explained as they looked at the army of undead zombie Quagoa in front of them.

"To put it simply, it deals continuous negative and necromatic damage to any living being in the area of effect, and any being with a level lower than 60 is guaranteed to die, then be reborn again, as an undead. Of course, as you can see, if there are already corpses of living creatures below level 60, they also get ressurrected as undead. Though if I am being honest, it is practically useless against most high-level summons, and is only useful to deal with large amount of fodder monsters. At least, that's how it was in Yggdrasil. Did this explanation satisfy your curiosity?"

"Yes, Thana-sama."

The players nodded at that, and they focused on the next target; the frost dragons.

With that, the world enemy moved, exiting the building alongside Riyuro and the undead players, marching towards the supposedly strongest beings in this dwarf kingdom.

"Thana-sama."

Rei spoke, catching the attention of the rest, and the eyes of his master gazed on him, seemingly reading his very soul.

"I wish to see the powers of the dragons in this world, and see how well my new body works, if you allow it."

She saw his grip tightening on his long sword, his intention clear.

"Itching for a fight, huh? Very well. You and your companions will deal with the dragons. Try leaving the corpses as intact as possible. Other than that... Have fun. I will be watching for this part."

Thana decided to humor them for now.

Plus, it might be entertaining for a while to see how they scaled compared to the dragons of this world.

"Now, let's march towards the supposed apex predators of this world, and see how they measure against us."


The undead from another world walked slowly, the players in particular enjoying the sight in front of them.

The sight in front of them was simply... impossible to describe with words.

"Simply mangificient... To think beauty this amazing could actually be created by the hands of actual beings..." Ami muttered as she walked alongside Kiyomi who nodded at her.

The players didn't really bother to care about it before when they followed Thana to deal with the Quagoa, but now that they can take their time, it almost hit them like a train.

This place was beautiful.

The sensation of the grounds they could feel from their legs, the sheer feeling of nature around them.

It was marvelous.

The way this place exuded such a charming presence that felt so natural, it was almost addictive.

They almost wished for the slow march to never end, just so they could admire the charm that was consuming their undead bodies.

If Thana had noticed their mood or thought the same as them, she didn't show it.

The flow of time was ignored as the walk continued, until they reached the area of the frost dragons.

The Royal palace of Feo Berkana, the residence area of the dragons.

Taking a moment to enjoy the sight, the group decided to invite themselves to enter.

"From here, this is all yours. Have fun."

Thana stated as the players marched in front of her, checking on the large door of the palace.

"Heh~ It's made of Mithril."

Ami, the now-dullahan magic caster specialist verified with an Apparaisal spell.

"Mithril, huh? Man, I remember when I first used a Mithril sword in Yggdrasil... Such fun days..." Rei, the swordsman stated fondly before putting his hands on the door, seemingly gently.

The next second, he made a fist and simply hit the door with what he felt was a casual effort on his part.

The door that was supposedly sturdier than anything in the history of the dwarven kingdom was easily pierced, a large hole opening in it, leading to its interior.

"You used too much power, Rei." Kiyomi sighed at that display for a moment but didn't feel anything surprising from his power.

Mithril was quite the weak and fragile metal for the upper rank players after all.

"Heh. I thought I controlled myself. This new level of power is amazing!" the zombie said before entering the large mansion, the rest following as Thana stayed behind, noticing as the banshee she'd summoned without using a dead body alongside the first four Death Knights had suddenly disappeared as if they never existed, while the others she used a dead body to create kept existing.

'Hm, so, using a dead body to create an undead can anchor them to this world indefinitely, most likely? More testing for later.'

Filing that idea in her mind, she followed the group as they entered the large palace.

It was quite large even on the inside, and frankly, it was a little surprising that dwarves, a race that was quite short and small even bothered making this extremely vast area inside their palace.

'But, for the dwarves to make something this large, this goes beyond desire for fun or showing their crafting skills. Did the dwarves have some relation with trolls and other huge races before, or maybe, even a player that existed before we appeared helped them create it? That could be. Ami said that it was normal for players to make unnecessarily large guild bases just because they can.'

She pondered in her mind as she looked at the vast corridor in front of her that would easily fit a troll.

Thana was soon awoken from her thoughts as she and the rest heard as a sound of footsteps was heard, quickly reaching them.

Looking at the source, her prediction didn't disappoint her.

Ten beings appeared in front of her.

Huge snake-like bodies, covered in scales colored a bluish-white. Large wings colored sky-blue, clear to see, along with white abdomens.

"Intruders?"

One of the dragons -looking the same as the others- stated, looking surprised as Thana noticed him gazing towards the shattered door before glaring at them once more.

"Identify yourselves!"

Thana didn't bother with responding to the soon-to-be-corpse in front of her, letting the rest of her subordinates deal with them.

"Nice to meet you, Frost Dragons."

Kiyomi took the chance to speak, the white priestess outfit she was wearing catching the attention of the dragons, their senses screaming at them of how valuable and expensive it is.

"We are... Heh. We are not an official group, but it doesn't really matter. Now, face oblivion. [Holy Smite]."

Kiyomi decided to start with something relatively weak for her group to see the power difference between her and the dragons in front of her; a simple seventh tier spell.

As soon as the words left her mouth, the dragons immediately felt the danger, but none of them could respond before a column of pure white light descended on one of the dragons.

Roaring in agony, the dragon breathed his last seconds later, his corpse utterly black as smoke came out, life no longer there.

The other dragons looked in shock and dread at the usage of a spell way beyond their frames of reference.

Meanwhile, Kiyomi looked at her own body, frowning and seemingly inspecting herself.

"Huh, strange. I am now a vampire, yet I could cast such Holy-elemental spell that easily. I don't feel any discomfort from that except the feeling of my MP draining as I used the spell."

True, her stats changed, and some of her newer spells involved the usage of negative energy to heal herself and other undead such as [Greater Lethal], along with her gaining more spells that didn't depend on her karma level, but it felt like a very drastic change for herself.

"You can ponder about that later, Kiyomi. Let us see now how strong these dragons really are." Rei spoke, moving alongside her with his sword in hand.

"You brat!"

One of the dragons roared as he opened his mouth, and the players felt as power amassed inside his maw before he breathed, turning the area in front of him into white.

A wave of coldness emitted from his maw, dropping the temperature to the negatives in an instant. No living being could protect themselves against such magical might unless they were far stronger than him or inherently resistant to the sheer coldness the dragon had unleashed with his freezing breath.

"Oh? So that's how a frost dragon's breath feels! Quite chilly indeed!"

But the ones he and his brethen facing were no normal living beings, let alone, being alive in the first place.

And they immediately noticed that as they took a longer look at their opponents, completely unharmed by the dragon's breath.

Eyes widening with shock, the dragon realised what kind of opponent he was facing.

"You-! You are undead!?"

The dread in his heart intensified when the woman wearing priestess outfit smiled gently, and he felt that it meant nothing good for him and the other dragons.

"That's right. We are undead. I, for one, am a vampire, and my friend here is a zombie."

She pointed towards Rei who took a step forward as he raised his sword.

The dragon raised his arms, deciding to deal with this obstacle using pure physical strength, focusing as much as he can at Rei's body.

But it was useless, as in front of his eyes, Rei disappeared, and a second later, he felt as if his head was spinning and flying, but there was no pain.

'Huh? What...?'

He thought as his eyes saw something that looked like a headless corpse spouting blood from the neck as the corpse hit Rei with its claws, with no effect.

'Why is a headless corpse attacking that undead? And wasn't I there? I was sure of that...'

He only managed to process that before life finally left him, his brain finally ceasing to work.

His only expression as his head fell on the ground was confusion of the absurdity of what he couldn't process in his final moments.

"A~and another dragon reaches the finish line!"

Rei grinned as the headless corpse finally dropped, processing his own death.

And he didn't even try at all!

'Man, I know the dragons here were quite weak since one of them got oneshotted by a mere seventh tier spell, but I expected them to at least resist! That dragon got sliced with barely any resistance.'

Honestly, he really hoped for dragons to be actually strong enough to be a challenge at least, at least, physically strong.

If he was honest, that was quite disappointing, even if the act of killing a real living dragon gave him a feeling of excitement.

He ignored his new morality and he looked towards Ami, not concerned with the other dragons as they looked at them in fear.

"Hey, Ami! Would you like to try?"

He pointed towards the dragons, who now opened their maws, fear clouding their minds and making them decide on attacking the enemies in front of them.

The dullahan who now wore a red dress sighed before boredly moving her arm as her comrades rushed behind her.

"[Maximise Magic: Burning Sphere]"

Ami decided to use one of her weaker fire spells, a simple 5th tier spell, maximised.

Scorching flames erupted from her body in a spherical form, at the same moment the frost dragons unleashed their collective Freezing Breaths against her.

The flame collided with the chilling cold of the dragons' breaths for only a second before the cold was erased by the sheer heat and power of the fire, and the sphere of the flames quickly spread towards the dragons, who only had enough time to realize how futile their efforts were, and thus, dying as their charred corpses filled the ground.

"That... was disappointing."

Ami stated looking surprised by the sight of the corpses in front of her.

She had expected that a 7th tier spell would be an overkill, so she purposely picked a 5th tier one.

Frankly, the fact that a 5th tier was more than enough to kill eight frost dragons at once, and when they used their own area of effect skills. She felt quite disappointed by the weakness of the dragons.

Shouldn't dragons be much stronger than other beings on the same level? Sure, they were more or less in the thirties, level-wise, but that arguably meant that they should survive a 5th tier spell, and they should have been durable enough to survive if not outright overpower her spell with the many Freezing Breaths unleashed by them.

"That was an entertaining fight, for sure."

She was awoken from her musings with Thana's voice resounding as she walked towards the corpses before looking at the players.

"I can safely say that you enjoyed yourselves a little, right? Sure, there was nothing to make you feel worried or even endangered, but it was a little bit of fun to kill those standing against you, aren't I correct?"

It was stated as if it was a matter of fact.

And the players couldn't argue about that.

"But I expected more though. Dragons were practically the strongest race in Yggdrasil, World Enemies aside, but seeing them being unable to even deal with a mere 5th tier spell is, even with multiple ice-attribute attacks at the same time... It's quite sad, honestly."

Ami said as she shook her head, watching as her mistress pointed the blade of her scythe at one of the corpses.

The action was just for flair, really.

Thana glanced towards the mage.

"True, normally these level 30 dragons would be able to handle such weak spell easily, but it was quite tragic for them that you used a fire spell. These Frost Dragons are quite weak to fire, from what the Quagoa leader told us, and that was clearly the truth. No wonder they died so easily from such a spell. Or maybe, the dragons of this world are much weaker than the ones from Yggdrasil? [Create Dracolich]."

Focusing on the corpse, Thana used another spell as the Goddess of the Death, using the corpse of the frost dragon to create an undead dragon of a relatively high-level.

Black goo and energy exited from her arm and weapon, rapidly latching on the corpse and invading it.

A burst of negative energy appeared for a moment before dissipating, and the corpse's body grew larger, turning its color from a charred black into a dark gray.

Two large black horns on its head, the creature roared loudly, showing the rows of sharp teeth inside its maws, as blood-red eyes with black sclera gazed towards Thana and the others, before bowing submissively.

"But, you are correct on your point about their freezing breaths. I'm sure that spells were able to interact with each other in Yggdrasil. But maybe that aspect changed and got affected on a more different scale than before. At least, some spells do. Maybe it's because of your higher stats that your spell easily won? Or simply your spell was stronger than all of theirs combined, or another aspect? That would be quite an interesting test at least."

Thana stopped speaking as she felt the link being made between her and the dracolich, sensing the energy emitted from it.

"A level 85 undead dragon, seems moderately strong to give high-level players some trouble at least."

The players analysed their new comrade in servitude as they absorbed Thana's theory on the possible reasons for utter weakness of the frost dragons against them.

They followed Thana as they started marching once more deeper inside the palace.

The other dragon corpses were safely put inside the storage boxes, while the new dracolich pointed them towards its living brethen, having the skill to sense for those of draconic nature.

The group quickly reached a large room that got a set of double doors, which were easily destroyed with a single hit from the dracolich's head as it entered, the rest alongside it.

The Undead World Enemy saw her target right away even as they straightened and rose up.

Four frost dragons, three of them being females, and the other a male.

From her senses, she could feel that the male dragon was the stronger one amonst the dragon quartet in front of her.

"I am Thana, the one who will take your corpse. Will you be nice and forfeit your life with no resistance, Frost Dragon Lord? I shall give you a painless death if you oblige."

That was her simple offer. She made her intention clear. Even hitting the ground with the cane of her scythe and pointing the blade towards them.

'Now, show me. Will you die or try to resist? It all will end the same way regardless.'

Her face looked directly at the large dragon male making her thoughts clear, mocking him with her smile even as his expression turned from shock to rage, his eyes narrowing.

"What did you say, you damn undead!?"

"I thought I told you right now. Forfeit your life with no resistance, and I will give you a painless death."

A wide grin spread across her face as she spoke.

Olasird'arc Haylilyal, the frost dragon lord was about to attack these fools who broke though his palace -including that grey dragon alongside them- for their insolence using his power, before he eyes widened then narrowed again as he looked with surprise at them.

It was only now that he finally noticed the clothes and weapons they were holding.

The response of his draconic instincts was immediate, now that he took a moment to think.

"... Wait a moment. What are these items you're holding?"

His instinct as a dragon, a creature that loved treasure almost blinded him along with his wives.

He could see the raw importance of every item they held. From the small necklaces and rings the players wore to the entire set of clothing of Thana.

And such greed was impossible to ignore for him.

"This is the first time I saw such grand treasures! I shall forgive you if you offer me these clothes and items you're wearing!"

It was silent for a few seconds, as the players wordlessly glanced at each other.

"So, this means you're rejecting my offer. I expected more intelligence from the strong dragon lord here. I guess I was mistaken."

There was no more interest in humoring the dragon in Thana's tone.

"You idiot! You've just missed the one chance to survive! I should kill you where you stand!"

Olasird'arc Haylilyal shouted, his mouth opening, making his intent clear.

It was natural for him to be enraged, after all.

He was the Dragon Lord who will be ruling over the entire mountain region! Only these pesky Frost Giants have any chance of defeating him in this area!

A wave of pure coldness was unleashed from his maws, encasing the ground in front of him in white ice, as white mist covered the room.

The figures of the fools that enraged him disappeared within the mist, but he didn't worry about it.

Even if they were an undead, they might resist the cold, but he doubted they could easily destroy the thick frost and ice surrounding their bodies.

He was about to move and personally finish them with his strong physical strength when suddenly the world almost vanished and a loud sound rang in his ears.

It was only a second later that his body responded, and he felt the sensation of pain invaded his mind.

As he looked in front of him, he could only gape in shock as he saw the undead woman with the reddish-gray skin standing where he once was, on his pile of gold and treasures.

And he then noticed that he was thrown into the wall, with enough power to destroy it.

His wives couldn't even realize it, just like him. None of the four dragons could even process what happened.

"It really is annoying. Dealing with fools, that is."

His wives started to move back to get away, but it was too late.

"[Feathers of Agony], [Eternal Moment]"

Thana raised her empty arm, as black feathers started falling at a rapid speed from the roof of the room.

Olasird'arc Haylilyal felt it in his bones, these feathers were dangerous. Fatal even.

He was about to tell his wives to run before he found himself unable to move.

No, it wasn't that he couldn't move.

He realized what happened as he saw the black feathers that were rapidly approaching him suddenly slow down to the point of almost halting their movement.

Arrogant he might be, but he wasn't unable to think and understand what was going on.

'Don't tell me that she boosted my ability to process time!?'

That was the correct conclusion.

[Eternal Moment], a spell that Thana could use as the Goddess of Misery, allows her to make a single target precieve time as if the world was a hundred times slower than normal.

In Yggdrasil, this spell, when used, was very effective at dealing with players who depend on reflexes and speed, along with spellcasters, distrupting their rythm and halting their movements by imposing a high-level Mental debuff.

But in this world, it was changed to become a much more devastating to any being unable to resist it.

Thus, the dragon could only look hopelessly as the feathers fell down for what felt like days, already regretting his choices.

The black feathers reached him, and as they made contact, a wave of pain like no other entered his mind.

It was the worst sensation he felt as he could feel the seemingly weightless and harmless feathers slowly dig into his skin, completely ignoring the sturdiness of his draconic scales.

Millimeter by millimeter, he felt as wounds opened all over his body. Hands, legs, stomach, backside, head. He felt as the eternal agony kept going for what felt like minutes that stretched into hours, then days.

He wanted to scream so badly, but his body was too slow compared to the extreme boost of thought acceleration the damn spell that undead woman put him under.

In the end, he just became unable to care, and even when the effects of Thana's spell got dispelled seconds later, life had already left him, both physically and mentally, and he just dropped dead, an expression of exhaustion and agony on his face.

His wives also got the same treatment, as their bodies dropped on the floor, with no sing of life, or desire to keep living.

Thana looked at the bloodied corpses that now had small holes all over them, no sympathy in her eyes.

"That was a little bit entertnaining at least. But damn, what terrifying skills."

Ami muttered to herself as she also looked at the carnage around her.

She didn't envy the dragons for the fate they suffered.

"Thana-sama... You won't turn him into an undead right away?"

Kiyomi asked as she saw her mistress put the dragon corpses inside her item box.

"No. I believe I need to see something with my eyes first before doing that to more of these dragon corpses. Now, the dwarves are next. Or should we go and defeat the Frost Giants first?"

Frowning at the answer, she decided to ask.

"Something to see?"

Thana glanced at her.

"Some of my Death Knights have disappeared approximately two hours after I summoned them. The Screaming Banshee as well, and Thanatos. But the other undead that used a corpse as a tribute of sorts to exist are still there."

"You want to see if the presence of a corpse is enough to sustain undead creation, or if there are other factors at play then?"

She nodded at the priestess' assessment.

"It would be a shame if I used these corpses only for the undead to disappear after a while like a usual undead summon."

Finishing the work of putting the corpses in her item box, she turned around and marched out, with the players following her.

"Now, let's see what other surprises and treasures this palace contains, before dealing with the Frost Giants and dwarves."

Just for fun:

Feathers of Agony: a homage to Kamen Rider Odin.

7