Chapter 36 – Caught off guard.
319 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Charging forward she aimed to pierce the Nun, yet the Heroine Stood her ground as if willing to connect the full brunt of Eine's attack of her own accord.

but in an instant the nun parried and countered her attack, hitting with the blunt side of her attack.

~... She is beyond our capabilities master, a frontal attack might lead to our death.~ 

I click my tongue, annoyed by my powerlessness.

There is only so much a cunning man like me can do, but in terms of brute strength, I have none.

Then I have thought of something.

I looked around the crowd, I saw the hostage from earlier.

She was helpful earlier and why not now? 

Eine was still recovering from the blow and the Hero wasn't gonna sit and wait for her to recover.

"HEY!!"

I held a girl and placed Chrome on her neck. The Nun stopped in her tracks, her attention turned from Eine towards me. All eyes turned to me as I took a girl hostage.

"Another brutish thug amidst this city of honesty?" The Heroine remarked.

But just as she turned her head away from Eine, the Mercenary sluggishly went back on her feet and attacked the Hero of Chastity once again.

Caught slightly off guard the Nun barely braced herself from the oncoming flurry of attacks from Eine.

I pushed the child away and quickly threw Chrome around the nun to incapacitate her, she was caught, the binds of chains tighten around her but she was not called the hero for anything, as graceful as a Vestal in prayer, she quickly escaped my grasped by sheer strength alone grabbing the chains and pulling them off and distanced herself from us.

And she fell on the ground for a moment, her face red with surprise due to the uncommon feeling of being caught, bound between my chains yet she regained her sense of duty.

Whilst she was taking a bit of her time recuperating I used this time to escape with Eine.

"This mission is a bust, I knew this was too much of a risky job to do," I said to Eine as if scolding her.

"How would I know that we were set up?" She retorted right back at me.

We tried to return from the gate that we have entered through only to be blocked by a myriad of Noble's own men.

"Let me use Thief's mask on you."

"It's useless" Eine points at the rooftops. 

Unbeknownst to me the sea birds that were sitting by the perches of the rooftops were watching over us and alarming the noble's underlings to pursue us in our location.

We were mice trapped in a labyrinth, we tried to escape them, we rushed to any open building and the only one fortunate enough to open, was a tavern.

"Veron inside there!" Eine says pointing at the building

The birds couldn't see beyond the windows so we made a stop there, but likewise, we were trapped inside a tavern building, hiding from our captors but this game of tag would ever be so long until the Nobless herself humbled us with her own presence.

The birds flocked around the tavern and the front of the tavern was surrounded by soldiers.

"Auntie! why did you betray us!?"

The Dashing Nobless dressed in a pirates attire would not reply, the Nun and her ax behind her.

Bang! 

A shot went through one of the windows, as smoke blares from its barrel.

"Eine, you and your friend are surrounded and have nowhere to run, if you want to leave this place alive I would surrender if I were you."

"Over my dead body!" Eine taunted!

She then takes the bartender who was inside the tavern and takes him, hostage, in a last-ditch effort to escape.

But without effort, La Croix quickly knocked her out with a dart from her gun, letting go of the Bartender from danger.

"Where's her companion?"

The Nun leads a group of soldiers inside the Tavern only to see an open door to the back alleys that lead to the main road.

"Hmm.. it seems that he left her on her own, such a coward I must say..." the Nun remarked.

A soldier quickly aided the bartender to his feet.

"Thank you," said the bartender.

"Look for him, he must not have been far!" Commanded the Nobless.

Eine was then carried by the Brutish man from before. 

And the rest of the soldiers followed suit with the nun, looking after Eine's escaped companion.

As they trotted away leaving the bartender in the dust.

He patted off the dirt from his clothes, and the Bartender's face looked stern as Eine was being carried inside the Carriage into the Custody of her Mother's best friend.

The bartender returned to the Tavern.

He cleaned the shards of broken glass caused by the shot, and threw them behind, went to the door, and turned the door's sign from open to close.

He then turned behind the bartending counter.

and beneath the counter was a cellar... and a man tied up bounded in both hands and feet laid there desperately trying to escape.

"I'm sorry for the fuss, but you need to disappear, you're too much of a liability." the bartender reasoned with him.

The bound man wriggles in fear as Chrome glistens from the Bartender's hand.

.

.

.

Eine was captured but she led me into this tavern, a very familiar-looking tavern.

Because it was definitely one that hit close to home... because it was Ulsin's own handiwork... A predecessor to his branch in Olken.

"The Orginal Crescent Luna Tavern..." and like the last Crescent Luna tavern, in Olken business was slow.

There was only the bartender but no female Guards guarding, easy pickings if you ask me, we tied up the bartender and I used the thief's mask to take his form.

We couldn't escape together, La Croix's trained avian companions prevented that, we had no other choice, so in a last-ditch effort we fooled the Nobless, the nun, and the soldiers and I could barely keep my pride with the success.

For now, I looked around the tavern, quite shabby and smaller compared to the one I worked at, but there was a peculiar thing that caught my interest and it was a picture hangs from the wall, It was a old brown picture of Ulsin and his wife, the lady boss of the resistance with a young Eine clinging on to her.

He must have left this place because of his wife, quite sad to leave this decent tavern, and go work in a backwater town like Olken.

Sweet to see them as a happy family but I turned away and started devising a plan to save Eine, this tavern was a lifeline, and even though this mission was way more than I anticipated no use crying about spilled shit.

I tried thinking for a few hours but nothing comes to mind, all seems too risky...

But seems dumb luck came into my favor.

The Tavern doors flew wide open.

And a female Merchant in shabby half-decent clothes came inside my establishment.

Well lady luck if you were real I'd bang you till your legs couldn't move.

"What can I get you miss?"

1