Chapter 50
1k 5 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Help me by voting and reviewing the story on topwebfiction :D(Note, votes expire within a week)

topwebfictionvote

Rate, Favourite and Review
Patreon
discord server


“So you're not interested in money.” Archibald mused and leaned back in his position of sitting on the blanket that Lock had graciously provided.

Lock felt the man analysing him. Understandable. Money was after all something that everyone wanted. Expect for Lock. He had enough. He just couldn't say that, because then Archibald would want to know how he had gotten so much of it.

The explanation that it was coin gained from being the lead distributor and creator of the most dangerous, and coincidentally only drug on the market, would probably not go over well.

So instead he shrugged. “You know, after having lived life as both the son of a fairly well-off family, and the life of an adventurer. I've come to realize that I don't care too much about most creature comforts, and therefore don't care all that much about money.”

“The only creature comfort you need is the warm body of a woman, huh?” Archibald asked with a quirked eyebrow.

“The urge exists, and the women you pay for, are often the cheapest.” Lock shot back instantly, unbothered that they'd apparently done some research on him, and had attempted to use the knowledge gained to lower the price of his service. It was only natural.

His words caused Archibald's son, whose name he still did not know to sputter and redden, the father however simply harrumphed.

“Instead of money I'm more interested in things that improve me as an individual, preferably in terms of my combat effectiveness.” Lock said, noticing that the nobles were a bit stumped by his refusal of money. To be fair it was something that would work on most, if not all other peasants.

“Well we are a noble family. However we can't really share our knowledge or training due to you not being part of the family.” Archibald tentatively replied, seemingly mulling his words over.

“You know, you can buy items with which to improve yourself with money.” He attempted again to simply pay him off in coin.

A useless endeavour, Lock very well knew that the most valuable things to be gained in life did not have a price.

“Could you swing an admission to the Magic Academy?” Lock asked, wondering if he could cut his time training Herald short, although, if he had two admission slips he could simply trade one away.

“We could give you a recommendation that would force the Academy to test you, but if you didn't pass the test they wouldn't take you in by our word alone.” Archibald eventually admitted. He seemed deep in thought, before he eventually said something that he probably wanted to claim was spontaneous, but had assuredly been considered even before they'd set out to find him.

“The issue of training and knowledge is only one because you aren't a part of our family. However the possibility of you becoming a part of the family exists.” He said, as if struck by a grand epiphany. Lock almost burst out laughing at the man's acting.

His amusement however did not mean that he wouldn't shoot the idea down. “I'm planning on travelling around a lot and progressing my career as an adventurer for the next decade or so. I don't think I'd make a great husband.”

Archibald shrugged. “You don't need to be. A loveless marriage is something we nobles oftentimes have to deal with, you only need to stay long enough to sire some children and you'd have access to our resources for the rest of your life.”

That, was actually a good offer. Names, especially noble ones, opened doors. The only thing he'd have to do in return was knock up one girl and wear a ring while he was visiting to take advantage of those resources. Also to teach the blind girl, or do whatever they imagined under the help they were requesting. The Trydans were undoubtedly thinking that they'd draw the longer part of the stick in this deal, considering they'd be getting him, in return for some strumpet and some resources, but what they didn't know was that Lock didn't see a marriage as a valid reason to actually help someone and their family.

An anathema to the current cultural trend of filial responsibility and love for one's children.

“Well it doesn't sound like a bad offer. A base of operations, access to grimoires and the Trydan family magicks, a noble name to open some doors with. The entire thing would probably even include a recommendation to the Magic Academy. Only thing I'd have to do in return is be an absent father and husband to some poor girl who probably deserves better.” Lock mused aloud before raising an eyebrow at Archibald. “What's the catch?”

“Well, being part of the family would also mean that you should stand up for our interests no matter where you are.” Archibald answered, at which Lock shrugged.

“That's self-explanatory. The Trydan name is something I would be relying on for matters of influence. It would only be in my interest to keep it strong and attempt to elevate it. I'll ask again, what's the catch?” Lock said, repeating his former question, before an ugly grin found its way onto his face.

“It's the girl isn't it. The girl is the catch.” He said with a laugh. Archibald managed to keep his composure, but his son didn't. A slight flinch signalised that he was on the right track.

“The only reason you'd marry of one of your own to a peasant is if there was no noble who'd take her. The advantages to be gained simply aren't comparable. The Trydan's are a middling family, not without influence, albeit not in the capital, which arguably matters most. Thus it isn't an issue of family, but of the girl to be betrothed. The reasons for this could be that she'd been sullied, be it either through rape or being a widow, or some sort of disability.” Here Archibald's son gave the game away once again, he shifted uncomfortably, very likely not even noticing his own actions, once Lock brought up the term disability.

“Your son's poker face isn't very good.” He commented to Archibald, whose face had been growing increasingly grimmer as Lock spoke. Lock continued. “A disability then, I can't imagine a noble house has that many people with such defects, and therefore I'm going to take a blind guess, he, blind, get it, that the girl in question is suffering under a birth defect which robbed her of her sight.”

Archibald opened his mouth to intervene but Lock shut him down by harshly cutting him off. “Naturally we wouldn't get married immediately, there's no point until she's about sixteen and capable of bearing children anyway, and this can be used for one very simple thing. A test, you can set some criteria that I must fulfil in terms of educating the girl, and if I fail to do so, the betrothal will not transition into a marriage. This serves another purpose in the fact that as a simple betrothed to the family I wouldn't be able to sully its name, or take advantage of many resources, and that you could simply cut me off, without payment so to say, after I'd finished the task in case you didn't like something about me.” Lock finished explaining, having worked himself into a frenzy of analytical deduction.

“Who are you?” Archibald whispered, slightly pale, having finally lost some of his composure.

“I am Lock, someone who would raise the value of your family to such an extent that I dare propose a counter-offer. I help the girl regain her sight, and upon succeeding we shall marry, but wait with the consummation. After marriage, even without children as it will be for some time from that point on, I will gain all the privileges that being a Trydan entails.” Lock said.

“You're that confident that you can help her regain her sight?” Archibald asked wearily.

“You will provide me with the materials to teach with, and I shall provide the teaching, or as you put it, with motivation. It shouldn't take more than a year.” Lock boldly claimed.

And if he couldn't manage it within a year, well, he could probably think of something.

“You're quite confident for an iron rank.” Archibald said carefully, crossing his arms.

“The mind is the weapon, the world is unarmed.” Lock replied, and Archibald heaved a great sigh.

“The original offer on our side would have been that you'd only be betrothed after you've successfully taught her how to see, and then married if you managed to advance to silver rank in combat capability by the time she reached 16. Your confidence however, has admittedly made me falter a bit, I must however check that it is confidence, and not arrogance. If you prove yourself I will agree to your demands.” He said.

“Alright, what's the test?” Lock asked.

Archibald shrugged. “I don't quite know what to test. Impress me, I guess.”

Well, that was quite open-ended. Lock had many impressive things about him. He could reveal knowledge garnered from his previous world, claim it as his own. He could show off his wealth, although that was off the table considering his previous lies. He had four Classes, which was quite impressive. Although he couldn't showcase Executioner, so more like three.

What information was the least useful? Probably his combat capacity. Unable to enter the iron rank tournament he was going to get tested again at the adventurer's guild anyway to reach at least silver. Everyone would know his strength then. Well, parts of it. There were some skills he was unwilling to show off. Like his Iron Gut skill, which was what he'd picked upon reaching level five in Vanguard, and would with the skill Stomach Storage, which he was in the process of developing, serve as a last line of poisonous defence to be spewed from his stomach.

Talking about last lines of defence, he couldn't show off the skill he'd gained from Kruto either, Rebirth, which let him shed his skin, along with his injuries. Anyone who saw that skill needed to die.

Killing Intent was something to be avoided when negotiating a marriage contract. Especially to a child. It would make them think he was a murderer.

Animal possession was also off the table, too damn useful.

Maw of Marmortius, which could identify him as at least a level five Assassin would have to do.

For Vanguard? Earth's embrace would have to do.

Alchemist was easy, while he couldn't show off Identify Ingredient or Ingredient preparation he could show off Summon Cauldron. Which did as mentioned. It summoned a cauldron. Later levels of the skill provided more tools.

He considered his options for a more, before deciding that having two classes was impressive enough. If it wasn't he could show off his Assassin class. As mentioned earlier, not something one necessarily wanted to bring up in a marriage contract negotiation.

“I'm going to showcase some skills that will prove that I am level ten in Alchemy, and level ten in Vanguard. For the Vanguard demonstration I will require some assistance.” Lock eventually said.

Archibald's son gave him an odd look, seemed, while the father simply nodded. “Well, two classes at level ten, at your age, is definitely impressive. I dare say it's even qualifying.”

The words made Lock think that perhaps he should ditch these negotiations, and showcase the fact that he had three Classes to a more powerful noble family to marry into it. He discarded the idea however. The Trydan's were perfect for his purposes. They were rather uninvolved in politics and were therefore not likely to have many demands for his time, and were therefore unlikely to be involved in some odd plot that might affect him. As a mage family they likely had some beginner mage manuals that could start him on the path of magic, although he'd still have to go to the Magic Academy to learn healing. They also seemed less stuck up than most of the other nobles he'd met. Likely because they didn't live in the capital.

Remembering that he was supposed to be demonstrating something Lock snapped his fingers. He felt almost all of his mana leave his body as the Alchemist skill activated, and a shabby iron cauldron popped into existence before him. He caught it in his hands and gently laid it down onto the floor.

“Summon cauldron, offered for the first time at level ten in the Alchemist skill tree. One class down.” Archibald said with a nod.

“The second skill is a defensive one, it's what I got for reaching level ten in Vanguard. The basic function is that it disperses some of the force of physical attacks into the earth.” Lock explained as he stood up, kicking the cauldron out of the way.

“I imagine you need us to attack you in a physical manner then?” Archibald guessed, and Lock nodded.

“Just nothing sharp please, it works best against blunt damage.” Archibald nodded and turned to his son.

“Throw the cauldron at him.” He said, causing Lock to raise an eyebrow. He quickly lowered it however once he saw the wizard drawing his staff, lances of electricity sparking off of it, walk over to the cauldron, and touch it. He wasn't going to literally throw the cauldron at him then. Good.

The wizard then pointed the staff, which was still sparking wildly at Lock. “This will sting a bit.” He said, before firing off a small spark at him.

It didn't sting, they were underestimating his Endurance. Good. This would make it all the more impressive. He didn't have any more time to think as that was the moment when the cauldron came flying at his stomach at frightening speed, only to crash into him with a force slightly weaker than Lemmings' strongest punch.

Lock felt the force go into the earth beneath him, the ground trembled slightly, and he slid back an inch or two.

“Impressive,” Lock said, “must be quite a powerful skill when used in conjunction with sharp objects.”

The son, nodded, seemingly pleased at the compliment.

Lock turned to Archibald who seemed to have made a decision.

“Well, you're quite impressive, so you pass. I hope you don't have any large character flaws, but that will show itself in the next few weeks I imagine. Let's discuss the finer points of this entire thing then.” He said, and Lock walked over to sit down again.

 


Help me by voting and reviewing the story on topwebfiction :D(Note, votes expire within a week)

topwebfictionvote

Rate, Favourite and Review
Patreon
discord server

31