c0 – A Little Backstory after a glance into the Present
187 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Konoshira Mai opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling above as she adjusted to her returning memories. She pursed her lips.

“What are your thoughts on the previous world 13?”

The air shimmered and a blue crab landed next to Konoshira on her bed before frankly answering with a metallic hum.

“It is your responsibility to make conjectures {Subject}. How would you rate the last task?”

~~v^v^v~~

Konoshira works at Department of World Affairs (DoWA) for an unknown entity under the boss she only knows as the {World System}. The entirety of DoWA exists to support the in the creation and maintenence of planets with intelligent life.

Her career has some of the best health benefits around: No Sickness, No Aging, and Full Room and Board. Granted, the last benefit is more of a requirement. Full-Time Employees must give up their previous lives completely and dedicate themselves until their contracts are fulfilled. Then and only then are they are free to retire.

Konoshira was honestly looking for another normal desk job when she was scouted by the . She was only in her 20s, but work was already her life. What’s a boyfriend? Just a waste of precious time that could be spent working towards a promotion. 

Konoshira started at DoWA as a part-timer in a data entry position and quickly rose through the ranks. She excelled at what she could already do and took training for what she couldn’t. Konoshira only ever seemed to see her supervisor when she was called to his office to get her next promotion. 

Konoshira had programmed a bot that could sift data by priority and relevance not long before she was called to the office of the Head Analyst. She naturally assumed the conversation would be to grant her the position that had recently opened up.

Konoshira waited outside the office in anticipation. She smiled and nodded at a man she vaguely recognized as he left their supervisor’s office. She walked in with confidence, certain the position was hers, and instead received the worse news she had heard in centuries. 

Konoshira was to take up a position in a newly-established department. Not only would her position drop so low that she might as well have been an intern again, the position would in dreaded field work, directly testing simulations of the world environments. Konoshira had never doubted the path she had taken before, but in that moment she couldn’t help feeling as if her centuries of office work were in vain.

She heard later that the person with the appointment right before her was the one to get the job. Even now, she sometimes punches a pillow after a particularly tough task while remembering the smug and happy expression he had that day.

4