Arc 1 Ch 2 – The 99th Task {Simulation Start}
135 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The many people who know Kinoshita M- no. The many people who know Hugo Byron would likely describe him with the same few words. Adorable. Sweet-talker. Likeable. Naive. Cute. To put it bluntly, no one bothers to look beyond the sweet vaneer. 

Hugo had just finished streaming after a long day. His usual habit would be to run to Twitter and act cute. However, he was instead taking a moment to relax and think. Hugo is leaning back in his his computer chair with a teddy bear sitting on the desk in front. His short and curly blonde hair sticking up in every direction would be really cute if it were not for the creases currently marring his forehead.

“Teddy... something is definitely wrong.”

Unsurprisingly, the teddy bear doesn’t reply to him. The aspiring celebrity uncerimoniously tosses the stuffed animal across the room and makes a somewhat cute huff of frustration. Luckily, Hugo is not left stewing for long before his phone starts ringing. The number is unknown, but Hugo carelessly answers it anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hugs! It’s so great you answered. Quite a few old classmates are in town and want to round up to go to a bar tonight!”

The only thing Hugo disliked more than his name would definitely have to be getting called ‘Hugs’. He is a man afterall, no matter what he looks like! This made his tone a little sharp when he retorted, “Don’t call me that. Who is this?” 

The caller didn’t seem to mind in the least. “Oh you know, it’s Dave!”

“Dave?”

“Yeah. Day, Dag, Dave, whatever. Nothing? Anyway I’m Dave Cooper, your old high school buddy. Do you want to hit the bar or not man?”

“Ohhhhhh, Dave Cooper! It’s been a long time! Uh, sure. I’ll come. Which bar, what time?” To be honest, the name sounded familiar, but Hugo didn’t have a strong memory of the guy. 

“We want to meet up around 9, in front of the dive down by the docks. You know where that is right?”

“Ok, yeah. I got it. See you then.” 

The call was a little inane, but still helped cheer up Hugo. Going out would be better than moping around at home. He put the phone down and moved the mouse to wake up his computer. The game launcher popped up in what felt like a taunt to play a few rounds. Hugo smiled and settled into his chair to surprise his followers with a surprise stream while he was in a good mood. 

~~v^v^v~~

Hugo is a little guy with a big dream. He wants to not just succeed, but to excel at life. This is partly to prove that he can achieve more than anyone who doubted him could ever imagine. The remainder is to gain recognition for his success. 

He tried some full-contact sports at first, but eventually found that his greatest strength was actually in competitive video games. Hugo discovered he was faster, stronger, and more focused than his teammates. He struggled to succeed in sports, but he was already excelling in the video game world. 

It didn’t take him long before he started making videos of his matches and tutorials on how to get better at games he played. Hugo was shocked when his videos took off. He eventually started streaming live sessions of his gaming and dreaming about one day being a household name.

Hugo decided to make this stream special... and he knew just how to do it.

Sorry if the echo at the beginning was annoying. I really wanted to reinforce that this *is* still Konoshita Mai. She may have different memories, but it doesn’t suddenly make her a different person at her core. It’s not going to be a transition I use throughout all the chapters. I don’t currently have plans for her to go through another world where she loses her memories, but I wanted potential readers to get some insight into what happens when she does.

I considered establishing Mai and Day more as characters by travelling through multiple worlds before this particular arc, but I decided to jump straight into the action instead~! 

Fun Fact: c1.1 and c1.2 are not parts of the same chapter, but parts of the same arc. I wanted a way to distinguish each major arc // setting since they can potentially be considered shifts in genre as well. <3

2