Chapter 1: The First Meet
152 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Recall the past, brings me nothing but one thing right now. Maybe it's because I currently live in a human body, but this feeling that never felt before, now resides abundantly inside of me.

'Anger', an emotion expressed through resentment or irritability, which if manifested for a long time, ends up becoming a sin. A double-edged sword for those who uses weapons or items that invoke it... Today is presented and lives with myself.

The unique solution I found to prevent this is to suppress these emotions as much as possible to the point of forgetting what happened in that divine judgement. Clearly, I just remember the moment I entered the God-King's Abyss for the burial of my soul. Memories prior to that...are blurred.

Seriously… How far I've fallen? To be betrayed by my equals, be saved by a stranger, having to live and coexist with humans, and now to follow their demands... My real parents would really be disappointed in me. Although, you know, I don't think they care much about my current situation. Surely they have managed to hide part of my soul somewhere. In other words, it's probably into the Leviathan's Ancient Lake. Or at least I hope it is.

The inhabitants of the 「Oneiric World」 must be having a rough time there, though. I feel sorry for them, but there's nothing I can do.
Anyways, I would like to believe in the possibility that they have already taken action on the matter.

On the other hand, who of all the gods could have been? It's true that somehow I was interacting with humans and their dreams, but I never revealed anything at all.

Hmm, let's see... The first one that comes to mind, unfortunately is Fayna Adelheid, the Goddess of Fire and Forge. A woman very diligent in her work as a deity, but at the same time, stubborn and gullible. It's someone who never lose an argument, even if you're absolutely right. I don't think she's capable enough to make such a plan. What is more, I feel that she's the opposite; a total pushover. So I rules her out.
Next is Mireia Kristhell, the Goddess of Vegetation and Fertile Soil. The youngest of the Divine Council, and therefore, childish and irresponsible. She's set there because of her mother, who was once the Goddess of Nature. Honestly, I think she's been very spoiled. If I had the chance to put my hands on her, I'd give her punishment of a lifetime. Naturally, I doubt that she's the cause of my exile.

Then, and following the family line, is the big brother of that snotty. Elian Kristhell, or better known as the God of Wildlife and Hunt. If Fayna was already someone stubborn, this guy grazes the absurd. He's a complete idiot and ignorant, in my opinion. More than once he has mocked my abilities, although I always ignore him. Nonetheless, he's got an interesting theriomorphism skill, and his abilities are certainly authentic. He's quite an over-protective psycho who's obsessed with her sister, but that doesn't mean he's not dangerous. Well, in a way, he already is. Anyway, he's not somebody who can develop a plan like that.

The following is the Goddess of Love, Beauty, Desire and Fertility, that is Igraine Argall. Sincerely, I don't know what to think about her. Prima facie, she looks like someone dedicated to her work, charming, friendly and tolerant. She's always rejecting gracefully the male advances of the Brainless Ape, and adopts a neutral posture in many of our meetings. Therefore, I could really doubt his intentions. Perhaps she was only pretending to be nice all this time, and his true personality is another. However, I find it hard to believe she can do something like that by herself. So if it's her, then she colluded with another deity.

Now that I mentioned that Brainless Ape, neither do I think it was him. Even considering that it could be more Gods conspiring against me.
The God of War, Cyrius Zephir, may be a moron, a brute and conceited, but he'll never be someone who acts that way. And I'm not saying that because he doesn't have the enough brain cells to plot such a plan—who doesn't— but because his methods to solve things. If he had to get me out of the way, he'd have done by force in a fair fight. Whatever, I rules him out.

Sixthly, the drunken pervert but prodigious martial artist. Well, in fact, that’s the title of Thyr Vulferam, the God of Martial Arts. Due to its extroverted nature, it's not someone I see much times. Only thing I remember is when he challenged me to a drinking competition, where we spent more than a week guzzling incessantly. Eventually, we had to postpone our duel for later, because neither of us fell unconscious. I am unfamiliar with his capacity for alcohol, but as for me, there's no way I'd lose in that sort of thing. My skills don't allow it. Anyway, since I don't know too much about him, its best keep him as a suspect.

Next on the list is Rena Chryseis, the Goddess of Wind. To whom instantly I cross off, because of her laziness and absent-mindedness.
Even though she acts somewhat rebellious and tell lies all the time, I doubt she reaches such an extreme. Also, I think we got along fairly well before my exile. If by chance she hated someone that would probably be Myrrine, with who always she fight. For that reason, I rule out this possibility.

And since I mentioned it, now it's the turn for Rheia Myrrine, the Goddess of the Sea & the Sacred Waters, and also who acts as Judge in every Holy Land's Judgement. Actually, I have a great respect for her, owing to the great job she's does. Her look is always elegant, and has a personality extremely strict. However, his splashes of pride are sometimes annoying. I really can't think that she's the one behind all this, for her professionalism and dedication for everything to work out. But yet... I don't know.

Now then, if we talk about the best in their field, the next would be Xigma Heolderrig, the God of Wisdom and Magic. He's one of the deities with whom I better get along in Holy Land. Read and studying the scrolls from the library are his main hobbies. We used to exchange opinions on different topics concerning the Dark Magic. He's a cultured, intelligent and amiable deity. I'd go as far as to say that he's the antithesis of Cyrius, who never touched a library book in his life. Anyway, I'd like to believe that he had nothing to do with this, mostly because of our friendship. Even so... At this point, I don't know what to believe.

Another possibility is the God of Medicine and Healing, Lioni Baulfug. Hmm, we often speak before, and I can tell that there's no evil in him. He's smart, that's for sure. But his full-time honesty makes me not need to put my eyes on him. I remember than he once asked Xigma and me something about love and stuff. Apparently, he's interested in Rena. Of course, none of my business.

And finally, Gull Iverand, the God of Thunder. The most mysterious of all. I only know that he shows up to the meetings and ephemerally disappears. According to Xigma, he was doing their own investigation about something in particular. It seems he resides in another area of Holy Land that I even don't know. For some reason, there's something about him that I can't remember well. A memory fragment of the Divine Judgement, perhaps? Darn, if so, then he's my main suspect. Also, I heard that the weapon he uses is quite peculiar. Deities called it ‘Chakram’ or some such thing. I'm curious about that.

Besides them, other possibilities exist in my mind. But anyway, speculation doesn't help much. Even more knowing that the current me doesn't have a single chance to defeat them.
Now that I think about it, the majority of members of the Divine Council are a bunch of trash. They're only have that role because of their relatives, who really were important.
Well, I just hope that Erika isn't suffering. She's the only deity I really appreciate.

"Hey, albino guy..."

Moreover... Since I came in this carriage, I heard nothing more but the voice of this blond kid so far in the trip.

"You're from Svorkmyran, right?"

A young boy with straight hair, who's taller than me, has greenish eyes and wears peasant clothes...hasn't stopped talking and telling absurd stories since I joined them. And now, he plan on bothering me? I regret the moment when he woke up. I should have gone or pretend to sleep when I had the chance.

"So?"

By the way, he looks pretty calm for the situation we're in. Or does he understand that this is normal? My parents were crying the moment the soldiers took me, so I couldn't say it was trivial. Also, the other kids were nervous when I came here, so this guy's reaction feels a bit unusual. Anyway, I'm glad that the others three are sleeping, because I don't like the noise.

"I knew it! Too bad I wasn't awake when you arrived. What's your name?"

Hah, why would you want to be awake for my arrival?
A welcome wouldn't cheered me in the least. And I guess for the rest it was the same, even more knowing that they really are children, both in body and soul.

"Sig-...Jun, Jun Myrdal."

Ugh, I almost mentioned my old name. I still don't get used to my current condition... Besides I should keep the true one hidden. Who knows, there's a chance that some envoy of the gods is living with humans.

"Nice to meet you, Jun. Mine's Acke Gunnarn."

The moment Acke reveals his name, he slowly stretches his arm towards me, as if waiting for something.
From what I remember, my current father used to do this with some people. So, if it's about that, then...I just have to shake hands with him.

"Ooh!"

Uh, what're you surprised at?
This type of greeting is supposed to be common among mortals, isn't it? Then, why does he looks like this is something new to him? I made a mistake maybe?

"Without any reaction, huh. That's your nature, I guess. Anyway, you already know where we're going, right?"

Mhm? Oh, that's right, I never heard the name of my destination. Or maybe yes, but I ignored it. After all, those aren't useful to orientate. Neither the calendars to locate me. Seriously, what the hell are Gormánuður, Ýlir, Mörsugur and those things? In all my life as a God I heard of something like that! I wonder what they have been based on for such names.

Unlike the human calendar, ours consists of ten months, and each of these has the name of a First Generation God: Amser, Feng, Trecia, Mirim, Nicte, Kanin, Lyerud, Niusha, Ishtara and Ziade. Being one of those 'Nicte', Goddess of Night. I mean, my real mother.

"Hmm, your expression may not say anything, but silence does. We're heading to Leiret, host town of the Elverum's Sacred Order."

Oh yes, that name was in the letter that Ruth sent us. And Elverum is the country I am in, if I remember correctly. Now that I think about it, my parents never said the name of the Order, until I got to know it by reading it in the letter. Did they try to hide it from me for some reason? But it wouldn't make any sense, because sooner or later I would find out.

Sigh… Really. There're things about humans that I don't understand... Well, at least I already know that the town I'm going to its Leiret. Although it's not very useful.

"What's that Sacred Order...?"

The curiosity about the name, makes me want to get rid of doubts once and for all. And seeing that I never tried to find out from my parents, I ask someone who seems to know more about this world than I do. Even if he looks of my age.
On the other side, he looks a little surprised by my words. Surely, because of my ignorance of the subject.

"My, my...That's a real surprise. You also don't know about the guys who escort us. Hmm...Let's see, in short, it's a community made up of a few crazy guys, which seek to introduce their stupid ideals in the youngest, in order to form capable lackeys who'll later serve as soldiers of the Kingdom. Or something like that."

So these people who ride on horses and wear white robes with blue crosses embroidered on their chest are part of this Sacred Order.

"Not to mention that typically they claim to be the intermediaries between god and humans, or some damn thing. Although, there're times that they lose their heads completely.

Oh, intermediaries between god and humans? Maybe some god are making mischief? But if so, then... What about my punishment for interfering with mortals? Damn it... I don't even know how many years passed until my rebirth. Whoever has plotted my exile must have been pulling the strings all this time.

Fuck. Again this feeling of hatred.
I should calm down soon or this could end badly.

"But don't get the wrong idea, they're nothing of what claim to be. In case that worries you. It's just a bunch of professional manipulators who enjoy certain power and have connections with royalty."

Manipulators? So they use some kind of mind control magic like me or what?
Wait a moment, 'in case that worries you'?
Don't tell me... He already knows about my true identity or my current condition?
I hadn't thought about it until now. What if he's one of those envoys I mentioned before? Going over what Acke said so far in the conversation, it’s not crazy to think this.

"Oh well, that's what my father used to tell me about them. Maybe he had some conflict with the Church or something like that."

Sigh... I'm thinking too much. I cannot let paranoia invade me, as well as my human parents. Maybe Acke is just a young boy like any other, who has inherited some knowledge of his father.
And I here assuming that he serves for a god.

"Having said that... Wouldn't you rather flee than have to be the lackey of such a group?"

As soon as he says it, Acke plants a smile on his face. One that seems to point to something more than just a guess.
His words confirm what I felt at the beginning. His serenity in this situation, could be due to his strength. And such a thought as 'escape'; despite having all those soldiers keeping their eyes on us, it's possibly his true intention.

He probably doesn't serve any god, and surely doesn't know about my identity either. Perhaps it was his father who infused him with these ideas about that Sacred Order, and that generated him some rejection to this day. If that's the case, what a relief. Having to deal with a being related to my equals in my current status, would be quite complicated.
However, his words don't mark my goal. Escape right now doesn't give me any benefit. Plus, I must find my sister.

"I would if I could, but I've got some stuff to do there."

If what Acke said is true, my sister may have fallen under mind control magic of that Order. And remembering the content of the letter...was a certain Lusignan, who helped her find the right way. So I should be careful when I get to Leiret, because it seems that mortals possess interesting skills.
Anyway, I doubt they can even do some of mind control to me. After all, this is my area of expertise.

But, if things get very problematic in relation to my sister, then I'll only get hold of the information about the Leviathan's Ancient Lake, in order to get out as soon as possible. I wouldn't mind leaving her behind if the whole thing ends up becoming a headache.
Right now, nothing matters more than my safety.

"I see..."

Acke pose his hand on the chin, and just as if were stroking an invisible beard, seems to prepare to give me one or two advices.
His behavior is so similar to Vulferam's, that it almost surprises me. Do all the young mortals really act like that? Such knowledge and acting don't match his age.
He's something like the mortal version of him.

Should I tell him about the lake? I mean, based on the cultural level he manages and his absurd stories, I don't think I lose anything with trying. Now, I should choose my words carefully.

Thereby, and before he even mentions a word, I interrupt the existing silence with my question.

"Hey... Do you know of famous lakes, or have you heard the name of one in some legend? My father kept telling me stories about one named 'Leviathan'. And well, I'm curious now."
"Eeeeh!?"

Suddenly, an expression of surprise forms on Acke's face.
As if what I said a moment ago was even more absurd than the stories he told us before.

Did I speak strangely? I thought use the right words.
Or maybe he does know and the fact that I hit the nail on the head ended up surprising him?
Anyway, he's been overreacting since we started talking.

"Mmm, nope. Not at all."

Overreact...only to say that shit.
Seriously, he's so annoying!

3