Chapter 2: Mortal Things
113 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A luminous sphere rises above the mountains to the east, illuminating the fields of golden crops. The cool breeze of the dawn begins to dissipate due to the light of that one whom mortals call 'Sól'. It may not be visible to the naked eye, but winter is coming. Maybe even faster than normal.

But... As much as the intense cold I got used to in Svorkmyran is in the offing or not, it's something that doesn't affect my goal. Whether it's the Iverand's Thunderstorms, the Myrrine's Impetuous Seas or the Chryseis's Tornadoes, I'll continue moving forward beyond the limits. Although, if possible...I'd prefer avoid all that for now. At least until I can to get my powers back.

"Judging by the quantity of farms, I'd say that we're already close to Leiret."

Acke deduces as he watches those who follow us from behind. Several soldiers on horses, who as well as the others at out front, escort the carriages occupied by children from different villages.

By the way, I talked a few more things with him during the travel, although nothing really important. Well, actually he's been questioning me all this time about whether I know some magic, or if I have learned to use a weapon. Which I answered yes, thanks to my parents. He's also told me something else about what his life has been so far. According to him, he's been educated by his father; a retired warrior, in the mastery of sword arts. Which also makes me ask... If his father was someone strong enough, why did he let his son be taken then?

Although, if I remember correctly... Mortals weaken over the years. So, perhaps he no longer possessed the strength required to defend him and had nothing to do but surrender.

Anyway, mortal things.

“Nhm...”

As for the rest, children who previously slept peacefully curled up, now begin to wake up one after another. Based on what Acke said, the girl named Sigrid is the first to move from a somnolent state to an active one.
She's has red hair and light blue eyes, and gives the feeling of being quite shy. Well, I guess it's normal to act that way when she's doesn't even know us.

The second of the 'friend group' to open his eyes is Jone, a boy with short hair and blond dyes. If I had to describe him in some way, then I'd say that he's someone who tries to act like the 'brave boy'. However, gives the feeling that he's only forcing himself. And anyway, we're talking about children, so it's natural for some to act like that.

And finally, who seems like their 'big sister', there's Unni. A girl with blond hair and twin tails. Unlike Sigrid, her breast looks more developed. A growth spurt, I'd say.
Also, she appears to be friendlier.

Nevertheless, it's not like I know them too much. I only know that they must be around my age, and that they come from neighboring villages. Furthermore, at the time I arrived, they were cautious in my presence, in spite of the fact that I didn't come in order to look for trouble, nor to make friends. So... I wonder how they'll react now.

“Guys, did you sleep well?”

He asks, with an accent as if he knew them all the time. If I have understood correctly, he's not from the same town as them. Therefore, if he doesn't tell me before, I would think they are all childhood friends or something.

...Childhood friends, huh? In this life, I've been living apart from others children so far. My only friend, so to speak, has been Ruth; my sister. And as for my previous life, it's not that there're many differences. Just a clear one, and that's Erika, who everyone considers the Goddess of Hearth and Home.

She's the only deity who believed in me until the last moment, despite not knowing well the circumstances of the trial by which they banished me. I remember that she was crying hopelessly when I was called to the Gods' Heavenly Court.
She's somewhat naive to defend me just because we're friends since childhood, but anyway, thanks to this she has and will have all my appreciation. I just hope she doesn't suffer the same fate as me for acting that way. If so, I'll absolutely not forgive anyone.

"...ight, Jun?"

Suddenly, I hear my name being mentioned in the conversation.
They were talking to me? Darn, I was totally in my head.

"Huh...? Oh...Yeah.

I answer as quickly as possible, without even knowing they were talking about.
The others children, who seemed to be chatting with Acke, now they see me with smiles on their faces.
What about this change in attitude...?

"You're just like Sigrid then!"

Says Unni enthusiastic, breaking the wall that prior separate us.
What the hell did this chatterbox must've said them? And what does that girl have to do with me? We aren't alike in any way.
And one more thing, why you all are too close to my face? Give me some space please!

"Don't worry Jun, we don't bite!"

This time it's Jone who raises his voice, only to immediately mess up my hair from side to side. Sigrid soon joins him, and revealing her red cheeks, begins to timidly poke mine's as if she was inspecting me.

Hey, hey... Since when is there so much trust between us? I really don't care if you guys bite or not, but what about all this? Besides, it's was you three who were on the defensive by the time I arrived here.
Wait, don't tell me...

"Acke, what did you tell them about me?!"
"Mhm? Oh, well... I only told them how bad you are to make friends.

If Acke was enough, now I have everyone's attention!
Urgh, how annoying!

Between questions and answers, the hour flew by. And soon, our move to Leiret came to an end.

3