Chapter 35: Tournament of Trials (1)
67 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An unexpected expedition. And with it, I was once again subjected to an inconsistent judder that accompanied a rather shoddy carriage. This time though, my head repeatedly smacked against the wood flooring. I could only think back on how lucky I had been for Eru’s lap amid the newfound rattling of my brain. Shortly earlier, I had also attempted to call upon the coachmen to stop the carriage, but that effort was all in vain as I didn’t get a single response back.

I should have just listened to her and not moved...

It was too late for regrets though. The sickly sap in me finally decided to then attempt lifting myself up from the flooring, and instead now rest my weight against the carriage’s seats. Sitting upright in an ill-daze, my eyes drifted toward the slow-moving wall that encircled the city of Nefra. We would be passing by the eastern entrance to Nefra relatively soon. With nothing else to do until then, I decided to give some thought to the prior dream.

A vision that took place in Dormou... I’ve never had any vision-like dreams before, well, until now at least. I remember Marna saying that her visions of the future would often arrive similarly. Is that what it is then? A premonition of the near future...? That doesn't make any sense...

The vision was seemingly from the perspective of Cruubi. And any time I’ve wanted to receive Cruubi’s sight, whether it be for the past or present, I would have to usually use a skill on my end. Almost every time prior to this dream was a case in point. That being said, everything about the vision simply left me perplexed and more than a bit worried.

Is there a reason why I’m seeing this now—all of a sudden? Is something about to take place in Dormou? Hell, I could barely even make out what was going on or being said in the dream too... Dammit! I wonder if Marna’s visions are always this incoherent...?

A cryptic array of questions. Waiting on Cruubi and sharing his vision of the past would probably be my best and only bet for now. There had indeed been one other way to perceive a specific someone though. But it was a method that needed preparation and consent from the other side first to assure success. I actually hadn’t ever even thought to attempt using it in this world until now too. The spell, [Observance of the Scryer], that is.

If only I had requested that in my letter... Well, it’s too late for thinking like that now.

[Observance of the Scryer] was a Divination spell that would allow for me to see and hear exactly what Marna—or practically anyone residing on Aerith—was currently doing. I could even use the ring she gave me as a medium to strengthen our connection. Yet, I had a feeling that even if I attempted to force a [Observance of the Scryer] spell, it would—without a doubt—fail. Not only due to any personal countermeasures Marna would most certainly have in place, due to the Elven prioritizing a veil of secrecy, but the barrier alone over Dormou would negate and reject it. It would also be rude to attempt a one-sided peep without her consent to begin with.

“Geez... This is going to weigh on my mind until Cruubi comes back now, is that it?”

Amid my spiral of nausea and impatience, the carriage finally began to take a small turn. This immediately let me know that we were finally arriving near the eastern entrance of Nefra. The time of decision-making had arrived. Toward which path the coachman would take—which choice I would be forced to respond with.

Now, will I be able to at least get of this carriage without any issues, if and when it stops here...? Or...will I have to toss my body off this damned thing before it goes beyond and begins heading toward some place like Ruoul? Please stop here—for the sake of my body and pride!

As the carriage turned in the opposite direction of the entrance—beyond was evidently the chosen route. Meaning, it had no intention on stopping any time soon as it would begin heading to the east. A groan escaped my throat as the worst of the two choices was forced upon me.

It really is just not my day...

Grgh!”

I didn’t give it a second thought as my body rolled forward, off the back of the doorless carriage. I was slammed against the ground—and thankfully—only rolled a few times amid the dirt. The impact was swift and not as bad as I thought it would be. The cart wasn’t moving fast to begin with, but I didn’t think I’d actually be forced with jumping out and all. And now, as I laid on the ground with my eyes on the clear sky—back against the dirt—I didn’t attempt to move even slightly more.

Why didn’t I just do this earlier...? At least I would have still been in range for Eru to see me... And what an odd and embarrassing predicament I’m now in...

“I feel like, if I even try to stand right now...”

My stomach was certainly getting up with and possibly even ahead of me. I was seemingly a complete mess without my caretaker. Unsurprisingly, nothing good ever accompanied inebriation in my experience, and this day was just a prime example. Regardless, I had to at least figure out a way to remove myself from the center of the road. Last thing I was in need of was to be run over by a carriage or to be trampled on by horses. I didn’t have any kinks like that.

Okay. Come on, body! Either you work with me, or we’ll be rolling off to the side of the road—whether you like it or not!

Struggling internally, a set of footsteps began approaching me. Glancing in their direction with whatever motion I could force out from my neck. I was met with a rather odd and frail looking man. He had dark grey hair, with long bangs that extended down and hid only the right-top side of his face. Whereas, the rest of his hair was tied into a long and high ponytail of sorts. His white opal-like left eye peeked through an opening in his bangs, and seemingly had two bead-like piercings underneath it as well. That being said, none of those were the oddest thing about him.

Is he wearing a kimono...?

His blackened-grey long robes had widened sleeves and held a strong semblance to the clothing from my original world. It had also been the usual clothing style of the Ronin Class in MO, and the sword at his side only furthered that belief. It was actually my first time seeing anyone wearing such clothing in Aerith though.

“Are you in need of some assistance, kid?”

Kid...? Is he talking to me...?

The grey-haired man was now at my side, staring down at me. Thanks to that, I could only assume he was possibly talking to me. I didn’t see or hear anyone other than us two here either way, but the fact that he referred to me as a kid left me in a silent stare down with his person.

...This is the second time today someone has looked at me like I’m some sort of child... Is this the side-effects of being intoxicated then having a rough hangover that I didn’t know about?!

“If not, then I’ll just go about my way then.”
“Ah...”

He turned his back to me, and as a quick sound escaped my mouth in reaction, he returned his gaze and attention back in my direction. I then made an attempt to explain myself, yet I had to choose a specific set of words that would explain my situation in full, without having to actually explain everything.

“...Hangover...sickness...”
“...”

I could see the raise of an eyebrow come from his left eye and nothing else. No other motion, nor even a few words that would inform me that he understood what I meant. My eyes then met the sky once more as I closed them shortly after, left in a feeling of defeat. I didn’t have it in me to explain any more than that, so if he didn’t understand my situation from those two words, then I couldn’t do any more for myself at this point.

...Maybe I should have just asked him to shuffle me off to the side of the road instead...

And as that thought crossed my mind, a sudden sound of something being poured into a cup came from near me. The grey-haired man had taken a seat by my side, mixing a few things into a small cup of what seemed like an herbal tonic. I was dubious on whether any of that stuff would actually work, but at the very least, it looked as if he understood me to some extent.

“This is specifically made for hangovers. It’ll clear through any and all symptoms within less than a minute as well. Can you sit upright on your own, kid?”

I shook my head slightly, as he then assisted me up. Passing me the completed herbal tonic, with every bit of effort I could muster, I downed it all in one shot. It made me slightly retch with its slime-like texture and muddied taste—it made me even regret taking an unknown drink from a random stranger for a second.

“Hm?!”

And yet, it was practically magical in its effects. He had said it would clear through everything within less than a minute, but it was almost instant. I could feel my entirety be restored from my previous nauseated self—including the migraine. But a wave of dizziness then struck me the moment I attempted to stand on my own, causing me to stumble backwards.

“Try not to move for at least a few minutes. Trying to move too quickly will just work against you instead. Once the remedy settles, you should be back to normal.”

He then lifted himself to his feet. I hadn’t realized it until then, but he had also already put everything away as well within that short time frame. Turning his back to me once more, he continued.

“I’m in a bit of a rush, so you’ll have to excuse me here. Try not to get too wasted next time, kid. When it comes to drinking—moderation is key.”

Without giving me the chance to even thank him, he was long gone now. Honestly though, with all that “kid, kid, kid” nonsense, I didn’t feel all too guilty about it anyways. I then did what he said as I crawled my way to the side of the road, sitting for several minutes as I watched a few carriages come and go.

This is surely what freedom feels like—a kind of freedom one normally takes for granted. I swear, to never allow this to happen twice! I vow to never step a single foot in Firspur again. A village of the damned.

Breathing in the fresh air, I decided to finally lift myself from the ground. I dusted myself off and my condition was completely back to normal.

“I’m amazed by how well that worked. I wonder if he was some sort of Herbalist or something? Another weird combination if you include his appearance and weapon though. Anyways, I should probably start heading back to where Eru is.”

I headed for the eastern entrance of Nefra, deciding to cut through the city instead of taking that side road back. I saw enough of the wall already after that forced trip after all. The gate was seemingly swarmed with guards for some reason, but the check-in wasn’t too difficult. Minus the several stares that I ignored—possibly due to my robes—it was a rather quick and easy entry without issue.

“Oh...?”

Upon entering the city, I was able to gather the gist of why the gate was so guarded now. The streets of the Foreign Quarters were filled with a variety of people—many in whom were armed to the teeth. Decorations were scattered throughout, as if there were some sort of festival taking place. My eyes slowly drifted around, taking in the atmosphere of a place I used to frequent quite often in MO. It definitely had a different air about it now though. My eyes then landed on a giant board, where an interesting poster sat prominently at its center.

TOURNAMENT OF TRIALS

Ladies and gentlemen, from all over Aerith! A Tournament of Trials is taking place these next few days! Come take part, FOR FREE, whether it be as a spectator or combatant!
COMBATANTS: Join! Whether it be for the fame, riches, or just for the contest of unmatched wits and varying strengths! An unrevealed and priceless PRIZE, alongside an additional monetary inclusion, sits at the top for whomever reaches that VICTORY!
Will YOU be strong enough to be claim it? Test yourself and find out!

- Queen Leonora Creth, of the Auriga Palace

“A tournament, and one being held by the royalty of Cretho...? Hmm.”

The Foreign Quarters was home to two distinct places in Nefra; the Entertainment District, for a variety of pleasures, and the old arena that was simply used for PvPing and mock battles in MO. The latter held some rather interesting and tailorable features in MO as well, so it was originally one of the places in Nefra that I was looking forward to checking out.

“Well, letting Eru wait a bit more wouldn’t hurt, right...? I’m not looking forward to what she has to say about my sudden disappearance either... And I’m already over on this side of the city anyways, so I might as well at least give it a quick peek.”

The road to the old arena was just as I remembered it from MO. Through the first section of the Entertainment District and then a left at the split. You could practically simply follow the crowds too, since there were hundreds of people making their way through the area and toward the arena. As I could finally see it in the distance, a sudden sound echoed outward from the old arena.
It sounded as if the ground had split further on ahead. A small tremor rippled its way through the Entertainment District. A variety of confusing and worried expressions took to the faces of many. Several others though, began to rush toward the arena instead, excitedly and some even pissed off that they missed out on something worthwhile.

“I guess the tournament is already taking place then?”

I hurried alongside the latter in further curiosity. A large crowd then formed around the entrance to the old arena, where seemingly some guards and staff were trying to settle down the sudden group of people.

“Please! Everyone keep your distance, and move further back! The spectator seats are already filled! Unless you’re here as part of the 5th group, you’ll have to come back another day!”
“I just want to know what that loud noise was!!”
“I-it was due to one of the combatants from the 4th group... Everything is fine though! So, once again, please if you’re not here as part of the 5th group, leave or at least move further back and to the sides!”

People amid the crowd began talking amongst themselves as the staff began to further attempt to clear the area to the best of their ability.

“Goodness, one of the participants made that noise...?”
“Dammit! I should have come earlier!! I shouldn’t have stopped at the Entertainment District!”
“Thank the Goddess I didn’t join... Whoever created that noise, just can’t be human...”

Toward the doorway to the old arena, my eye then caught the appearance of a young, blonde-haired man coming out from the inside. Wearing a frantic expression, he immediately began talking to the staff member that was yelling shortly earlier. Her eyes then met the crowd again as she spoke up once more.

“Is there anyone proficient in healing magic here? We are currently in need of a few extra hands! Even lesser healing will do!”

Murmurs began spreading amid the crowd as they looked to each other, shaking their heads. It seems even basic magic was indeed a scarcity if a crowd of this many didn’t even contain a single basic healer Class like a Cleric or something.

“Hey! There’s a priest over here, maybe he can help?”

Oh, so they do have at least something here.

As soon as I thought that, a small nudge came from my side as a man was seemingly gesturing at me to go forward. I was more than slightly puzzled at what he was implying for a second, until it dawned on me that I was still in my black robes. I could only make an attempt at clearing the troublesome misunderstanding, and yet that wasn’t enough.

“Wait! I’m not—”
“Come with me, please! Hurry!”

Before I could even finish, the blonde-haired man had already worked his way through the crowd, grabbing me by my arm and dragged me along. We entered the inside of the old arena as the doors were then closed behind me.

 

 

[Revised: 5/15]

5