Chapter 37: Tournament of Trials (2)
55 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three walls encircled me as I had only one path to walk down—and that was forward. The large, stone slab had closed behind me shortly before, signaling that this was my starting point. The walls were almost two stories high, meaning that I didn’t have the ability to see over them without magic. I clicked my tongue in minor frustration, feeling as if I was dragged into a very, very tedious situation. The loud voice that echoed across the arena only furthered that feeling.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! It is now time for the 5th group to commence with their trial! We were all in for quite the shock last round, weren’t we? To think we’ve already had several combatants with such varying strengths, huh? Absolutely amazing! I, myself, look forward to the upcoming matches too! But shall we finally get into it? The 5th and FINAL group of combatants will now challenge their way through the Labyrinth of Gniemra!!”
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOH!!!”

An exuberant array of cheers erupted in response to the announcer's voice. The tailorable, old arena I once knew—only ever occupied by small crowds in MO—was now filled to the brim with what seemed like thousands of spectators. All here to watch dozens of contestants make their way through one of the features of the old arena—the ever-shifting grounds. It could replicate any environment in MO on its massive filed—and this time—it was projecting the labyrinth part of a maze and puzzle dungeon.

Ugh. I really shouldn’t even be here right now... Maybe I should have just outright denied his request, dammit!

“COMBATANTS!! Please keep in mind the rules and regulations mentioned upon entering! The objective? Simple! Survive and find your way through the Labyrinth! Find the exit and you will move on to the next stage!! May the Goddess watch over you and lead you to victory! STAAAAAAAAAAAART!!”
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOH!!!”

A short while earlier, in the eastern halls of the old arena.

“Summoning: [Flight of the Fairy].”
“Ooooh! That’s some pretty strange and interesting healing magic you’ve got there, Albel.”
“Ah...”

The blonde-haired man, who had introduced himself as Euler along the way, stood a bit too near me while watching over his friend. As the [Flight of the Fairy] hovered over her, my summon began working its magic and attempting to mitigate any bit of damage it could. It didn’t have the healing prowess of the current Cruubi by any means, but it could at least lessen whatever ongoing pain she was still experiencing.

Well, it doesn’t hurt to at least try and do what I can. He hasn’t really given me any of the details yet though, but I’m guessing she’s a participant? That being said...

With a quick glance around, I could see dozens upon dozens of others. The majority of them were lying down, in pain and either receiving proper medical attention or bouts of minor healing via magic. I could see why they were in need of extra hands as the wounded definitely outnumbered everyone else here currently. It piqued my curiosity, as the question unintentionally left my mouth in a rather audible murmur.

“...Was this all due to the last match...?”
“Unfortunately, it was. I’ve heard that it’s even more than the usual due to the unexpected phenomenon that destroyed the arena’s field during the 4th group’s trial... Alisa was also part of the causalities that didn’t come from the traps set there...”

I turned toward the girl I was healing, who he referred to as Alisa, and there were stains and downward trails of blood that seemingly originated from the top of her head. I was then informed that she was hit by some scattered and falling debris, according to Euler. He was a combatant himself, of the 5th group, and when he told me this—his eyes were fixated on Alisa as he slightly stuttered and shivered.

He seems pretty scared. I don’t blame him. He did say something about traps, right? Is that what the trials entail for this tournament or something? I wonder in what way are they using the ever-shifting field here... Maybe I can try and sneak to where the spectator seats are after this.

“If any combatants of the 5th group are present here, please report to your designated entrance leading into the arena’s field! The field has been fixed and we are ready to continue with the tournament! I repeat, if you are a combatant of the 5th group—ready yourself to head inside now!”

A passing member of the staff loudly proclaimed the continuation of the tournament was underway as she continued walking down the hall and toward the other areas. My eyes then shifted back to Euler, and what was once a small set of shaking shoulders, had now led him to become a jittery mess as she clenched his hand at his stomach. His eyes didn’t leave Alisa for a single second.

Ah. There’s no way this guy is going out there now, huh? Well, I’ll leave the [Flight of the Fairy] here with the both of them for a little longer. I want to hurry and find my way to the spectator seats before the match begins...

“Hey, Euler, I think I’m going to—”
“A-Albel! I... I understand this is a hefty favor to ask for, but... I promise you, it will be worth your while! Please! Please hear me out!”

I could feel my brow furrow immediately in response to the implied direction he was taking this in. And evidently enough, I was quite right about the content of that imminent request.

The cheers continued to echo throughout the arena’s interior as my eyes and ears were instead now focused on the pathway before me—amid the labyrinth’s walls. Euler had requested that I take his spot in the 5th group since he could be heavily reprimanded for going against his agreement on participating—on top of not having a substitute. He hadn’t specified on whether that had anything to do with the rules of the tournament or his own personal reasons for entering though. The way he reacted had seemed to side more with the latter. Thus, I decided to take his place.

Of course, it just had to be THIS labyrinth, didn’t it!? This whole dungeon was always a pain in the ass to navigate, and this was just originally the entrance! I should forfeit, right? 100%, without a doubt, I should forfeit! Definitely...can’t, can I...? Ah, how I loathe this...

The Labyrinth of Gniemra was the first part of the Krinein Dungeon in the northern mountains that extended throughout Ospus and Isluna. It was a requisite dungeon that was included amongst one of the five requirements needed for leveling from 50 to 55 in MO. Which meant that no one above Level 55 hadn’t gone through this insufferable dungeon. Severely lacking in monsters, it instead held a wide variety of riddles, traps and puzzles.

“I can easily see it now. Whoever decided to destroy the field in the previous group, must have felt as I do currently. Unfiltered irritation at just the sight of these damned wall...”

That being said, whoever it was had to be incredibly strong in order to carve a path out with pure force only. It occurred to me shortly after entering the field, but that person could only either be a summoned Effigy, or someone on par with Lorcan from this world. Thus, I decided against causing another uproar and to keep a low profile instead. I would stick to using the [Spiritstaff of the Auburn Giant] and the lesser Divination, Conjurer, and Wizard spells in my arsenal.

“All right. I’ve been through these walls so many times, that there shouldn’t even be anything here that could catch me off guard. Still, it’s better to be safe than sorry. So, first I should...”

I began immediately casting a few vital spells. [Divination], [Eye of the Magi], and [Self Hide]. The first would assist against being caught by the labyrinth’s traps and then some, the second would hover just high enough for me to navigate away from dead ends, and the third was a precautionary measure. It didn’t work after already being spotted, but since I had yet to see anyone so far, this would help against any targeting attempts that might go unnoticed toward me. I wasn’t invisible or anything, just harder to detect and notice.

Since there was someone strong enough to destroy these walls, it would be foolish of me to believe there wasn’t any others with similar strength. It’s not as if I’ve seen many of the participants to begin with...

I had actually seen maybe two or three participants on my way over to the designated entrance—and that’s it. There’s no telling what or who I’d find within these walls. And as I began walking through the labyrinth, I could hear several yelps and hollers of pain in various directions. Potentially from those in whom were caught by the traps of the damned labyrinth.

My condolences. I remember my first time traveling in between these vile walls. At least it was just a game back then though...

I took each step with caution in order to avoid pitfalls, activating pressure plates, and finding myself in dead ends. In MO, dead ends would sometimes immediately shut behind you, teleporting you back to the main entrance. I didn’t have a clue on what the alternative for that was here, but I wasn’t in any mood nor curious enough to find out either. I then stopped in place as a set of footsteps began approaching me from a left turn I was already planning on avoiding ahead. Slowly moving my back toward and into the shadow of the right wall, I knelt down and quietly watched.

“Huuuuuh?! Do I turn at this right path or keep going straight...?”

The girl had yet to notice me as she swayed her head in attempt to garner what was beyond each path. Fixated on her appearance, it was actually quite a spectacle to witness. She had brown skin with white hair, wearing an ebony-colored turtle-neck like jacket that reached up to her chin. The most unusual, yet interesting part about her though, was a large golden mound with dotted, blackish gems at the center of her forehead. It made its way to the top of her head, then separated, seemingly as a long, thick strand-like tail with a black tip that rested on her left shoulder.

Oooooooo! It’s an Onoth! Now that’s something I didn’t expect to see outside of Espen, especially at the arena in Cretho of all places!

The Onothi were part of the demi-human categorization. They were a small numbered species that resided—normally—only in Espen. It was immeasurably rare to see one wandering outside of their own lands, let alone across the sea and in Cretho. They excelled in psionics, as that form of power extended from the tail-like attachment that was rested on their heads. Their hearing ability was also quite impressive too, as they also had these long, greyish, and fur-like ears that pointed upward.

It’s a good thing I used [Self Hide], but I don’t recall them being known for their skills in direct combat anyways. I’ll just keep still until she picks a route—hold on. If she came from the left, and I came from her right—that means there’s only one route we can both take...

I didn’t have much of a choice. I’d have to come in contact with her sooner than later. That being said, I wanted to also make it as quick as possible so I could further progress through the labyrinth and get it all over with. I slowly hid the tip of my quarterstaff toward my rear, as I intended on quickly shutting her down—here and now. Still, I wanted to avoid allowing her to see the spark. I would simply attempt to stun her with a lesser—but altered—lightning spell.

Just like during my experiment in Dormou. I just need to pour a bit more mana into it to make it strong enough to knock her out in one strike. I’ll dub it—[Lightning Probe]—for now. But...

As expected, the moment the electricity began to form at the tip of the quarterstaff, I could visibly make out the movement of her ears. She had definitely figured out that something was afoot now as the black tip of her tail immediately began to make slight pulsations.

That’s an Onoth for you, they really do have keen hearing. It seems [Self Hide] isn’t able to muffle the noise enough for them to not catch wind of it, huh? Regardless, I still have the advantage here!

She began glancing around cautiously, as both of her feet were slowly shuffling back ever so slightly. It seems she realized that whatever was going on, she had a better chance of avoiding it by returning down her prior route for now.

Smart move. Once she makes it behind that corner, it’s going to be hard for me to get a solid shot on her. But it seems like you’ve forgotten one very important thing about this place.

Every path was adorned with numerous, hidden traps. My use of [Divination] had already notified me of all the traps down this specific path as well. At this particular fork in the labyrinth, there was a pressure plate a little ways on ahead with a delayed response. One that would shortly close the left side route after it has been activated. If I couldn’t hit her directly with [Lightning Probe], then I just had to further make her believe that going back down that path was the right choice. And as she finally reached that corner, I made my move.

“Casting: [Lightning Probe]!”
“!?”

I jumped forward from the right wall, and headed for the pressure plate near me shortly after firing my shot in her direction. As it smacked against that corner wall, missing her slightly and creating an altered layer of impact, she was already back inside the left route completely now. I stood on top of the pressure plate, readying a quick and efficient [Electric Bullet] this time around. It wouldn’t do much to her at all, honestly. It just needed to give her the wrong idea that I had readied a shot on par with my last spell.

“Sorry, but you won’t be able to leave from there now! I’d advise you to instead find some other path down that route. I’d rather not have a confrontation with you, if possible.”

It was a bit hypocritical of me to say that, as I was the one who initiated this interaction with hostility to begin with. This labyrinth had taught me—very thoroughly and involuntarily—not to trust others back in MO though. I’ve had my fair share of intentional misdirection here. Thus, rule number one of the Labyrinth of Gniemra; only trust the party you came with. Yet, she didn’t respond or move at all. I could still make out the small flickering of light from her tail as it illuminated and hinted where she was standing.

So, you won’t move, that’s fine too. It’s already over anyways!

It happened instantly, as a stone slab magically erupted from the ground and blocked the left route completely now. In doing so, it would potentially teleport her somewhere shortly after. Either that, or maybe she would be disqualified instead. I dropped my quarterstaff arm to my side, ceasing my spell in the process. I exhaled a breath of relief at the thought of avoiding the fight against her for the most part. And that was premature of me. As I began my attempt toward moving on while heading for the right side immediately, a blaring and synthetic screech disturbed the prior silence.

“Huh?!”

That loud and irregular sound came from my left, and as I quickly shifted my eyes back toward that direction, it seemed I was already too late. The Onoth had leapt over the wall now and was still in the air, seemingly readying another attack. In whatever time I had remaining, I attempted to react properly in kind as her activation met my ears.

“Skill: [Psi-Scourge]!”

A massive wave, filled with energy, lashed downward at my position. It was now evident that this wouldn’t be a fight I’d be able to completely avoid after all.

 

 

[Revised: 5/15]

6