Chapter 47: A Hunt, a Gospel, and a Bloodied Spear (6)
49 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Incongruous hymns, shrieks of metal colliding as if in attempt to become one inside the derelict and forsaken church. It was an unnatural array of distortion—of a choir I had never heard before in my life—fueling my imagination as I held my eyes shut behind a struggling Lukos. I could feel the cold, hardened material that was his armor, pressing against my skin as he was seemingly being pushed back by something. Even so, he refrained from allowing his wall-like shield to be lowered even once, and at times, he’d adjust his posture forward as stray gusts would thrum over us.

“Stay huddled, and do not move away!!”

His strained shout was accompanied by telling grunts. Whatever was happening beyond him, made it apparent that he was our only line of defense against it. I could now understand his previous warning in full, one that commanded against involving myself in a fight between those two. What lied beyond wasn’t a fight per se though, but instead, two calamities attempting to breach each other’s territory. Unrestrained and unmerciful.

“The second a gap opens... I want you three to run outside of the church! Wait for the moment I tell you to move, got it!?”

In response to Lukos’ voice, I peeked in Alisa’s direction as she held Hilm in her arms and met my eyes for a short moment. We both nodded, now restlessly awaiting his signal. And at the tail end of a haunting screech, silence snuck its way into the church as Lukos quickly shouted in cue.

“Now—!”
“Ah...!!”

Alisa had lifted herself from the ground with Hilm in her arms within that moment, yet she immediately fell not even a mere second later. Releasing Hilm, her body was now convulsing as her expression shifted to one of unknowing terror.

“Ms. Alisa?! L-Lukos...! Th-there's s-something wrong!”

I was at a loss on what to do for her as she squirmed faintly on the ground. Turning our way, he grimaced at the sight of her, but then shifted his gaze back toward the two far in front of us as the eerie silence was broken by a certain someone.

“That’s unfortunate and...surprising... It only worked on one person here... Either way, she will have to make do for now... Don’t you dare move, rakshasi, or else...”
“You vile...”
“Astrid, wait!”

In that sudden shout, Astrid had stopped herself mid-lunge as her glowing green eyes glanced in our direction. Lukos was now standing to the side, allowing for Astrid to see Alisa’s current condition. Even from where I stood, I could feel her anger permeating once more and yet, she remained in place now. Her black and silver spear shook as her grip tightened over it, shifting her eyes back toward a now stained-in-red Essylt. A scatter of blood coated her black dress and even her surroundings, and on the other hand, Astrid barely had even a mark on her.

“Underhanded as always, practically second nature for you...”
“I simply value my own life is all. I truly am star-crossed to encounter you of all people, and here at that... Don’t worry though, as long as you don’t move—that woman won’t die.”

Essylt began patting at her arms, and shortly after, every bit of blood that adorned her porcelain skin was now replaced with clear and faint paleness.

“You really are a demon without horns, you know that, right? It really would have been better for the both of us—no—everyone if you had died that day.”
“And what of you? You should have remained in Ospus, where even a bloody harlot like yourself would have been accepted. You have no place near any civilized groups...”
“No place, sure, but I have business here. Or had. I was only planning on staying here for the day, and then leaving Nefra deep into the night. I should have left the moment those Seekers arrived apparently.”

An exhausted scoff escaped her as she further looked over her stained dress, yet disappointment flashed across her face when she realized it was seemingly ruined.

“Business? Like consuming the previous Magister...? Still can’t keep those accursed hands to yourself, huh?”

I remained near Alisa and Hilm, as we both watched over Alisa’s slight-moving frame. Yet, I could feel my ears twitch at the faint mention of Elemnin. I glued my eyes in their direction, silently waiting in uneasy anticipation.

“Surely enough, news travels fast in the capital. Did the rumors hint at me or something? Is that why you’ve decided to present that feigned vizard of yours here? Well, whether that news is true or not—that's not for me to answer. Nor do I care.”
“Chirp!! Chirp!!”

She abstained from giving an answer as Cruubi suddenly began chirping on the top of my head. I wasn’t even given any time to make an attempt at finding out why as the answer was forced onto me with a voice filled with a wintry pressure. The stinging tone of her cackling chilled my very veins for some reason.

“Khahaha! What’s the point of denying it now, hm? Your way of killing is unique after all.”

All eyes were turned to the haunting source, one in whom could now be seen through a hole in the roof of the church—smiling down sinisterly. It was a hooded woman, one in whom had grey horns protruding through two separate slots. Her messy black hair covered most of her face, as her two bright eyes—one purple and one white—bathed in a deep red that surrounded it. The pressure only increased as my eyes met her appearance, and suddenly, a large weapon descended in between Astrid and Essylt. And as the former immediately leapt back our way, varying voices shook the interior in chaos.

“Finally found you two! Won’t you let me play a bit with you guys?”
“Dammit, the hound?!”
“Get down!!”

It all happened in an instant as the last thing I saw was a now helmeted Lukos with his back toward us. Shortly after, an eruption of electrical force pulsated from the weapon at the center of the church.

Clouds of dust swirled amid the church as someone from above leapt down, landing at the top of their previously thrown weapon. She crouched, awaiting with a thin smile for everyone to gather themselves after gifting a simple parlor trick.

“C’mon. We all know it takes more than that to keep the two of you down. Can’t speak for the others though! Khahaha!”

Her eyes scanned her surroundings as the dust settled. The two nearest to her, Astrid and Essylt, were now kneeling on the ground—one with a flickering, translucent and shattered shield of fluid red—whereas the other, sat behind a decimated pew with a spear erected in front of her. The former was far more exhausted and damaged than the latter, but both still remained conscious.

“Oh. It seems like another one did remain. Another Effigy, is that it?”

In the distance a rattling of armor could be heard, as the man, Lukos, could barely keep himself from falling forward. Ignoring her, he turned his head to the three lying down behind him. They were seemingly knocked cold, but were still alive as he could just make out the faint breathing from each of them. He himself then breathed a sigh of relief as her voice continued.

“Anyways, I’m also curious myself, bloody Badb! Taking the life of one of those three, that’s definitely one way to overstep your authority. Khahaha! Estreth is going to be heartbroken to hear about what happened to his Crethian partner. Are you going to be the one to tell him? You better, because I surely won’t!”

The hooded woman rocked slightly atop the handle of her weapon as she watched the two near her begin to stand to their feet. It didn’t matter whether or not they should or could—it was their only option.

“Ursa, why the hell are you...”

In a pinched murmur, Astrid used her spear to lift herself to her feet, yet it seemed as if her mind was still slightly shaken after all as she then stumbled slightly.

“Why am I here? Why?! C’mon, don’t dismiss me that easily! I was ordered to by Aldebaran. He’s still pissed off after all this time, you know? It seems like a quiet life has led you into a loose hold over your ol’ vigilance too. You should have seen that coming! Khahaha!”

Leaping off of her weapon, Ursa now stood near it as it towered over her slightly. With her hand on the handle, she began to joggle it out of its small crater.

“I would have arrived sooner, but the two of you have avoided each other for so long. It was a pain waiting, but here we finally are. O bloody Badb, and domesticated Neman.”
“Hey, you over there... You know what we have to do, right...? And don’t you say ‘no’ either, you crazed rakshasi...”
“Ignoring me?!”

Astrid was now holding out her spear toward a stunned Ursa as she bluntly responded back.

“No, I’d rather we didn’t. Since it’s not like I can rely on you all too much—just like last time.”
Tch. Last time was different... Either way, I will not be heading back with that woman...”
“At least that’s two things we can both agree on, since you weren’t half-dead already back then. I’d rather have the you from that time right now, honestly.”

Essylt glared in Astrid's direction, unable to retort as she began walking toward her and readying herself nonetheless. Ursa watched on a bit peeved as she then lifted the giant and wide sword from its crater.

“Word of advice: don’t go assuming it’ll end up like last time, you two. I was caught off guard—simple as that. I’ve already seen everything you have hidden too. Unless? Have you two grown since we’ve parted ways, hm?”

She rested the titan-like sword on her shoulder, moving it with ease. Her thin smile was as sinister as ever, and yet, the two before her already knew what that meant. If they were to even allow her a single stroke unto themselves, that would be akin to allowing too much. Allowing even a millimeter would lead to a dire end, of split chances—a swift death or a slow one after being split into two.

“Aether Skill: [Tandava Trance].”
“Sanguine Infusion: [Exude Mantle].”

Directing her black spear over the outward palms of Essylt, Astrid’s weapon became coated in a seeping crimson as neither of them removed their eyes from Ursa who had still been waiting on them. And in response to her own skill activation, a palpable aura suffused over Astrid’s body.

“This again, huh? Two beasts leaping and dancing to the inaudible hymns of death. This abandoned home of that tyrant is a rather fitting battlefield, isn’t it? Khahaha!”

In a twisted smile, she began glancing around at the now partially destroyed church, and as she did, Astrid took this moment to pounce. The distance was cut short within a mere second as Astrid pierced forward with intent to kill Ursa without hesitation. Yet, she was greeted with thin smile and a sudden downward slash came from Ursa’s titan-like blade.

“You idiot, don’t go leaping in so quickly!”

Essylt shouted in the distance as she held her hands in front of her. A dark red shield, concentrated on a single area near Ursa was now projected in the distance—shattered as it assisted in negating Ursa’s attack. Yet, Astrid was nowhere in the area to begin with. Far above Ursa, Astrid now descended along with her crimson spear in hand.

“Skill: [Psi-Blood Lance]!”
“I knew it, there you are.”

Another smile flashed upward now greeted Astrid as she flinched, and on instinct, she immediately redirected her body mid-air. The end of the crimson spear now sat below her feet as she then kicked downward—with all of her strength—delivering a bloodied smite unto Ursa.

Tch!”

Using the momentum from the kick, she pushed back toward Essylt’s direction as Ursa then caught the descending assault by blocking it with her titan-like blade with ease. The locking kiss of the two weapons resonated with each other, as Astrid landed and readied herself once more.

“What was the point of that shield, you idiotic shrew? At least pull your own weight! Skill: [Unbridled Fall]!”

A sudden surge emanated from the crimson spear in the distance, further pushing against Ursa’s blade as Essylt responded with reluctant assistance.

“Not everyone is a crazed, battle-hungry fiend! Try supporting a fickle rakshasi like yourself, then come and complain! Sanguine Infusion: [Combustion]!”

Of psionics, blood and flames—the spear continued to pushed down against a defending Ursa as the interior of the church began to further violently vibrate.

“Two sides of the same coin! You two really do work well with each other, don’t you?”
“We don’t!” “Not in the slightest!”
“Khahaha!”

Ursa then slammed her foot against the ground, shifting her balance to a slant as she then redirected the fading spear in their direction. With a swing of her titan-like blade, it flew. As Essylt flinched with her arms blocking her face, Astrid moved slightly out the way, grabbing her own spear mid-air. Their first strike had ended in failure as Ursa was staring them down with her usual thin smile—awaiting another attempt.

“It really is interesting fighting the two of you at once! Coming here was worthwhile after all. It’s just a shame I couldn’t see ol’ Elemnin too. Hilarious even given his predicament now! Khahaha! Of savage wit—one in whom was hellbent on prolonging his own life. To reach the same status as that lineage. He was closing in on his ambitions, and now look! Say, why did you end up killing him anyways, bloody Badb?”

Ursa gave questioning look toward Essylt, as she looked away reluctant on answering.

“That’s...”

It felt as if my ears were ringing as I could hear Cruubi’s whispered chirps nearby. There was a mild drumming coming from my temples as I tried to lift myself from the ground even slightly. Yet, before I even could, muffled voices came from some distance away.

“Was it because of his research, is that what you were after, hm? His theories were centered on those with a Heavenly Virtue—I don’t recall you ever having an interest in any of that back in Ospus.”
“Things change...”
“Change? Khahaha! So, you’ve been influenced by someone? C’mon, out with it! Elemnin was a very secretive man, even more so when it came to his credo. You’d need to have some special means or connections to figure out what he was up to in his lonesome, hm.”

Wearily, I at least attempted to lift my head in order to see who was currently speaking. I could just make out three people standing in the distance, one of them being Astrid. And as I continued listening, I then heard something I wish I hadn’t.

“Even I have only heard tidbits from Estreth himself. Does your ability to network surpass that of an equal ranking member of Eboracum? Of course not, right? Khahaha! Elemnin only ever reported to Estreth, relying on Qualms to do the dirty work for him. Searching for and monitoring those with a Heavenly Virtue. Oh, did you maybe get to one of them?”
“I didn’t... Anyways, what does it matter to you on how I learned about that previous Magister’s research?”
“His research is an accumulation of trial and errors. It’s not easy to get your hands on one with a Heavenly Virtue since she makes it difficult by only telling certain people. Yet, she continuously handed that information to Elemnin. And you should know if you looked at that research, bloody Badb. Just how many listed within it were brutally dissected in order to achieve that level of knowledge he did. There’s a price to that research that only Elemnin himself knew the true value of! Khahaha!”

Huh...? Brutally dissected...? What is that person—?!

A sting. A stab. A deep sear pressing into me like branding push. A flush across my breast unlike before, since this time it focused primarily on the mark on my chest. It was intense, and I didn’t have a clue as to why it was happening.

“...”
“See, you did look over that research just a tad, didn’t you? Khahaha! Anywho, we can talk about it more alongside Aldebaran after I drag the two of you back to Ospus with me. Estreth aside, you’re not the only one that wants that research. I just hope that whoever sent you, chose the right timing—since it’d be a shame if it’s incomplete. Actually, if it isn’t, does it reference that?”
That...?”
“A child. He tried to keep it a secret from Estreth, but a Qualm leaked the vague details anyways. Apparently, Elemnin had his own hidden cattle somewhere—waiting to be used once he found out his answer.”

A child...? I...

“I will attempt to gain access to and find out everything available about this mark though. Once I do, I will return and help you as best as I can, all right?”

I had not personally known the previous Magister at all, and yet, the burning of my skin lingered all the same as those words resonated in mind. And this time, it was like never before as a separate voice cleared my mind of it—and only it.

Liar.

3