Chapter 48: Albel vs. (2)
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sometime earlier.

“My master’s name is Elemnin Eibe, previous Magister and former close aide to the abdicated Crethian King. That man, there’s no way he would die so easily...”

Guil had described him as being well known for his magic literacy and abilities, as well as being an insurmountable pillar of Cretho. One that was once lodged in the confines of his isolated library—slowly becoming one with his own research. And in truth, he was also the master of that same scheming Qualm, one of the three heads of Eboracum. I had only known him as the man that Eru had once spoken of in passing. That man, one in whom sought after those with a Virtue, was now rumored to be dead.

“They say his blood was completely drained, leaving only an empty husk! Even his study was apparently ransacked, as if someone were searching for something...”

The passing staff member from earlier had then explained a bit more in detail within earshot. Regardless, Guil seemed visibly shaken by the news for some reason. He didn’t bother staying any longer as he then proceeded to leave with wounds and all. It felt as if he were running away.

“You called Euler a coward, and yet here you are further turning tail for the sake of staying alive, is that it? How is that any different than what Euler might have been seeking when he parted ways with Eboracum?”

I had asked this on a whim as he was walking off, and he had turned to me with a telling glare.

“Ha. You’re only able to say that since you lack the knowledge on what that man did. He was given an important duty as a Qualm—and he intentionally failed that duty. Don’t compare me to that rodent.”

He then departed with a heavy limp in his steps, leaving me standing in thought as I readied to head to the old church in the slums. I was starting to feel a bit worried about Eru too, since her whole plan for the day was centered around visiting that same person—Elemnin.

“Here’s to hoping I can come across her on my way there. If the news of Elemnin’s supposed death has already spread this far though, then sure enough, she’s probably aware of the incident. Still...”

I hadn’t expected such a sudden turn of events. Aside from the increase in guards around the city, Euler had even stated that some of the Old Palisade’s members were apparently hired to assist with patrolling as well.

And yet, a noble, of prestige and secrecy, was killed in his own home... Did the festival perhaps attract something foul, or was he already specifically being targeted? Ah. I should have questioned that bastard a bit more.

“Either way, allowing someone like Guil to roam freely without any strings attached seems like a pretty careless move on my part too...”

I sighed a breath of exhaustion. At the very least, I figured since Guil was still thoroughly injured, he’d refrain from sticking his nose into anything in the meantime. With that in mind, I decided to head for the exit. Yet, as I walked down the lower eastern hall, I could hear someone whining in the distance.

“Ghaa! That damned, masked prick. That wasn’t even a real fight! I want a rematch!”
“Calm down, Zaeh. You know that isn’t going to happen. Regardless of how swift your loss was, you were still defeated, fair and square.”
“Fair and square?! I could barely even move my body—and I still can’t! How is any of that fair?!”
“You were hit, weren’t you? And before you could even land a single hit on that person, at that. That’s how it’s fair. You only have your own weakness to blame.”
“Grr! You’re not helping one bit, Baccas...”

Zaeh was now seemingly being carried by two staff members with something akin to a stretcher as Baccas followed at her side. It was surprising, to say the least. I didn’t think that woman had it in her to be downed at all.

Huh. So, Zaeh lost her second match? Who was her opponent again?

“Yo! Human, over here! Listen and answer wisely.”

Having now approached where I was standing, Zaeh was shouting my way while still lying on her stretcher.

“Let’s say, a single strike incapacitates you, right? Within only a few seconds into a match—does it count as an actual fight...?”

I remained silent with eyes on her as she squinted my way, desperately awaiting a response that would work against her companion’s argument.

Oh. Not only did she lose, but she did so within an instant, hm? That’s a bit...

Pfft.”
“The hell you laughing at, human!?”

Now avoiding eye contact, I couldn’t help but let a small chuckle escape me as I covered my mouth. She continued arguing about this and that, until the two staff members insisted that they continue forward. I then proceeded to wave them off as I began heading to the exit once more. A hand to my shoulder then suddenly stopped me.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

It was Baccas with a rather peculiar expression on his face.

“Ah, some business came up, so I was thinking about heading out and taking care of it.”
“You know our fight is up next, right?”

Oh, right. I had forgotten all about that.

“Well, yeah, but this is pretty important that I—huh?!”

With a rather tight grip, he was now pulling me by my shoulder. Even as I squirmed, I couldn’t loosen his grasp as he tugged me along without hesitation.

“We have a fight scheduled, and after watching Zaeh lose to that person, there’s no way I’m going up against them without warming up first. I still have yet to fight in this tournament after all.”
“I see, I’m a warm up, huh? That’s nice to know, but are you really going to drag me all the way there though?!”
“Yes.”

I could only feel as if I really had no say in the matter as I was pulled further into the arena’s halls.

Guil said he nor anyone else would touch them in that church, but should I really believe that man? Ugh. I’ll make this quick and rush over after then.

With that in mind, I was now mentally preparing myself for a—hopefully—swift fight against Baccas.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!! It is now time for the second to last match of group two’s climb toward the finals! The previous match was surely a bit underwhelming, wasn’t it? An absolute flash of a fight, wouldn’t you all agree? That being said, this time...”

I allowed my eyes and attention to drift a bit as the announcer went on with his usual job of hyping the crowd. And as I glanced at the balcony where the Queen had once sat, she was now nowhere to be seen.

Can’t really have the Queen just sitting out like a sore thumb after what happened to that Magister, hm? That makes sense.

My eyes then turned toward the arena under my feet, where nothing had been specifically displayed in regard to what field they had chosen for this fight. It seemed like a standard arena with white flooring and all.

Are they planning on not using the ever-shifting field this time around? I’d definitely prefer that.

The sandstorms from the last round were rather annoying, to say the least. And the person now before me was far stronger than Guil as well. I had looked over his status as he dragged me to my designated entrance into the arena shortly earlier.

Name: [Baccas]
Rank: [Feliad]
Level: [53]
Class: [Duelist/Soulkindler]
Alignment: [Chaotic Neutral]
INFO:
Titles - [Aarala’s Vower],
[Adventurer, Tier A]

He wasn’t as strong as Zaeh, but he was still someone I shouldn’t underestimate. He had even earned the title of a Vower, meaning that in some way, he was in service of the Feliad royalty. He was holding a double-bladed and curved weapon, yet one side was completely wrapped all the way to the hilt—seemingly sealed.

Is this a handicap of some sort? Either way, he’s a Soulkindler too... I need to try and finish this quickly after all. So, I think I’ll attempt that again.

He would most likely specialize in weapons coated in his own source and could possibly create an array of spectral weapons to assist. And to add to that, he also specialized in close-combat. His Class seemed very well-rounded. I began readying my initial spells in mind, as it was finally time to start with no words needed for each other.

“STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!!”

And at the announcer’s signal, the field once again began to shift. My once empty view suddenly became cluttered as the ever-shifting field had begun materializing dozens upon dozens of floating monoliths and scattered rocks. Each held varying etchings across their blackened slab-like appearance, as a faint, white glow could be seen—fading in and out—on every single monolith.

So, that’s what this is, huh...? They chose that dungeon this time... How pesky. I want to know who's in charge of deciding these things!

A field resembling a dungeon located in the sky—in between the sea that separated Espen and Cretho—the Floating Isles of Canaan. If the monoliths held that same design as the one’s on Canaan, then just by simply touching them while they were lit, one would be teleported to the corresponding monolith—one that shared the same pattern. That aside, it was from a place I knew very well in MO.

It will still take even myself a bit of time to remember any corresponding monolith though, but I guess I can use this to my advantage! And maybe I won’t even have to, if I can finish this right away.

I began casting the spells I had in mind prior, in order mimic a certain attack I had used last match. If anything had the potential to end this fight with one hit, it was that move.

“Casting: [Self Accelerate]. Summoning: [Elemental Spirit: Wind]!”

I coated my quarterstaff with the Spirit of Wind once more, as I prepared a [Condensed Force Push] while running forward amid the floating monoliths. And as I did, Baccas was already sprinting toward me as well—seemingly as fast as my own [Self Accelerate] buff.

Damn, he's fast! Will I have enough time to pull it off...?

The gap between us was shortened as we were seconds away from meeting at the center. I figured it was time to use that same attack from my fight with Guil, just before Baccas could reach me. Yet, the moment I attempted to use [Divine Gale], it felt odd. There were no words springing forth like before and the strength of the combined two spells felt as if there wasn’t any real force behind it.

“It’s not working...?!”

I was beginning to panic as we both arrived at the center. It was too late to nitpick whether or not [Divine Gale] was complete, since I would have to send it regardless. And I did just that. With the thrust of my quarterstaff, a meager display of wind—when compared to before—was shot forth. Even so, the effort was in vain as Baccas’ weapon then connected with my own in that split second. He redirected the attack to his left as that small tunnel of wind whizzed past him.

It’s...?

“It’s weaker than it was before, but it’s just like Zaeh said. It’s rather easy to avoid if you can get close enough to shift the flow of the attack at the last moment.”

From there, Baccas wouldn’t let up even slightly as a barrage of slashes flowed from the twirling of his double-bladed weapon. If it hadn’t been for [Self Accelerate], my body wouldn’t have been able to keep up within those few seconds. His stature was smaller than Vaalyun’s, yet they seemed to move at the same speed. The only difference was that Vaalyun used to fight with a larger sword, and that would reflect in his swings.

Tch!”

I attempted to find an open within those slashes as I was then backed into a monolith. Luck was on my side as it then glowed briefly, sending me across the field and away from Baccas before he could follow. I was thrown through the corresponding monolith, and as I lifted myself from the ground, my eyes made contact with Baccas who was already sprinting my way once again.

“Casting: [Wheel of the Firebug]!”

In an effort to buy some time, I sent a barrage of fire bullets his way. Yet, upon reaching him, he simply deflected each and every one of them. With series of casts, I sent more barrages as my mind began to think of another plan of action.

The monoliths are conjoined parallels, two sides of the same coin. If I activate [Detect Other], I should be able to locate one near him and the corresponding one amid the field, right? And then what?

The field was covered in floating monoliths and scattered rocks. I could only feel as if I had to use that to my advantage somehow.

Telekinesis, Gravitation? No, both of those are two inaccurate. I need something that would focus on him—and only him.

I watched on as he continued to deflect and redirect every single bullet, and then suddenly, that gave me an idea. He wasn’t dodging any them, but instead, always creating impact with the shots and his weapon.

I’ll alter Gravitation then, condense it and then expand it.

Ever since my first experiment with the [Condensed Electric Bullet], I had noticed something as I only began using [Condensed] magic as of recently. That first experiment had drained me of my mana, and yet, other forms hadn’t taken as much—especially [Condensed Force Push]. My mana reserves hadn’t increased either, at least I didn’t feel as if they had.

“If you’re going to hit volley after volley without any caution, then have at it!”

I sent one more barrage of fire bullets his way before pulling out my [Abysmal End]. I used two of my three preemptive spells.

“Casting: [Detect Other], [Divination]!”

Singling out a monolith near him and a cast of [Divination] for safe measure, it was time to initiate my plan as I began focusing on my altered bullet. One combined with a condensed [Gravitation] in orb form. I ran toward the corresponding monolith, and from his eyes, it probably seemed as if I were running away.

“No matter how many of these you send these my way, they won’t ever hit me!”

As that altered spell was complete, once again, it had been similar to the [Condensed Force Push], where my mana wasn’t severely depleted. I then jumped against my targeted monolith. In a sudden blip, I was behind him as I then took aim.

“Casting: [Condensed Gravity Pull]!”

He turned toward me, startled, with his double-bladed weapon readying to deflect at any moment. And using [Divination] from beforehand, I quickly headed for a nearby monolith that was preparing to glow.

“Another wasted effort—”
“Expand!”

Leaping against the random monolith, I shouted my command as I was teleported away once more. And the moment his blade came in contact with the darkened orb, it expanded exponentially. Yet, there was no change in that mere moment as it encircled all around him—seemingly touching upon all the scattered rocks and monoliths near him. And then it happened.

“What is this?!”

A sudden collapse of the orb and everything it could reach, all of it being pulled toward the center—where Baccas was. There was nowhere for him to escape as he was locked within a sphere of clutter.

Hm? Ah, I guess that’s expected to happen given how those monoliths work.

I began to ready another [Condensed] spell his way as the obvious result of being hugged by multiple monoliths was coming to pass. And suddenly, he appeared some ways near me as one the monoliths had evidently transferred him to another. He was injured, but I wasn’t planning on letting him even have a chance countering back.

“Casting: [Condensed Lightning Probe]!”

This time, I sent a bullet infused with the lightning properties with another idea in mind. He once again readied his double-bladed weapon as he attempted to deflect the bullet. It was as if he hadn't learned his lesson the first time.

“Expand!”

Upon connecting with his blade, the yellow orb expanded—completely embracing his entirety with a sinister stun. From my perspective, it was definitely over as he dropped to his knees. A series of static was rippling over his body as he twitched slightly. Apparently, he was still raring to go though.

“Zaeh was right... You really are pretty good with magic... I guess this won’t be just a warm up, huh...?”

He was now beginning to unwrap the other side of his double-bladed weapon, yet due to being partially stunned still, he was moving slowly. I had no intention of letting him do that.

“No, no, no. That’s not happening.”

I sent a [Condensed Force Bullet] his way without hesitation as his widened eyes and appalled expression were directed my way. The forceful bullet then connected with his forehead, sending him back to the ground. He was finally unmoving in my apparent victory.

“THE WINNER IS...EULER!!! Talk about a cheap shot!”

This announcer... Nothing was cheap about that, okay? All is fair in war, and why would I take the chance on letting that guy release whatever he was about to unwrap?!

It had taken a bit longer than I had hoped, but now I could head to the old church without any issues. The field shifted and cleared as I rushed my way through the designated entrance and toward the exit. Yet, I was once again stopped. This time, by a man with a frowning mask.

"So, you really were the person I helped yesterday, huh? This makes things rather simple. It's you and I against each other for the next match. I hope you're not planning on leaving."
"Well, something came up, so yeah, I kind of have to."

I was interested in finding out who this masked man was, a man who seemingly dressed as one from the Ronin Class, and yet could mix tonics like some herbalist. But heading to the old church held priority.

"That's a shame."

He began walking toward me, as if he had simply accepted my excuse. Yet, as he passed me, his hand met my shoulder in a gentle touch.

"As a fellow Effigy, I'd advise you to stay. I'm sure there's a lot for us to discuss after all."
"!?"

I turned toward him as he continued walking without looking back. I didn't waste a second more as I activated [Investigate].

Name: [Yojim]
Rank: [Human]
Level: [60 (MAX)]
Class: [Apothecary/Ronin] 
Alignment: [True Neutral]
INFO:
Unique SKILL - [Zen Channeling]
Titles - [Effigy of Isluna],
[Adept of the Eight Facets]

2