VOLUME 6 : CHAPTER 6 : ON A BRIGHT SHINING DAY
2k 8 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 6 

ON A BRIGHT SHINING DAY

 

Dear Mother and Father,

I had no idea the world is so big and full of stunning mysteries.

I am feeling alive and hopefully adventurous.

Deep in the forest filled with great trees,

Absorbed in a beautiful bird’s song,

Under the fading golden light of the setting sun,

“Wait! For me! Alicia.” between the cheers of friend.

Adventure yet again grins at me ⸺ as a new friend. As if it already knew the answer is yes, even before I could ask.

… Lost, on our way yet again.

Respectfully yours,

Loving daughter ⸺ Alicia.

.

“It’s finally done.”

“What is done?” An exasperated voice followed my merry advance, as I went deeper into the thick cluster of trees.

“Nothing special. Let’s just keep walking until we find a road.” I said.

“Why did this have to happen to us, when I was so sure of it.” Regis, my only adventuring companion mulled, as she followed me.

“Life is so adventurous and exciting because we can never know where we will be in the next minute or so. How crazy is that!” I tried to persuade Regis to view the whole situation optimistically.

“That’s quite close to the definition of getting lost and that’s what has happened to us now. I am so tired and we have been walking all day. I just want to sleep in a warm bed.” Regis complained and  yelped, as the chilling breeze tactfully made her quiver, letting her end up in a bashful moan, her elven ears exposing a tinge of red at its pointy tips.

“What are you talking about, we are deep in forest. We don’t have any beds here.” I contradicted Regis, as one who has a wide range of experience when dealing with such difficult circumstances.

“It’s all your fault, that we even got into this mess.” Regis now pointing her finger at me, gradually stopped walking as she bent on her knees to catch a breath.

“You are so selfish putting all the blame on me.” I tried to shun down her complaint.

“Do I really need to make you remember with what you exactly did to us.”

“Now, now Regis. There is no need to be so on edge.” I tried to console her by titillating on her back.

But she could have been right, if it is my fault but just by a slight. I promise, I just wanted to have some fun. I might had been a little more than too, too happy travelling together.

Six hours ago…

“Regis I have something that can get us to our destination way easier than walking.”

“And what is that?” Regis asked, and I was glad she did not seem to be the type who hated to try out new things. We hadn’t ventured too far from the Elven Kingdom borders and all around us was nothing but a vast patch of green.

“It would be much easier if I show you!” With a twist of my finger, a heavy machine fell down from a black portal connected to my dimensional storage.

 It was a large, old-style long motor-bike with a white body and had streamlined black lines at its curves. Unlike motorcycles back in my previous world, it didn’t burn on fuel, but it used wind magic to aerodynamically power its wheel. While magitite ores had been drawn into spikes to channel earth magic and gravity magic from surrounding to keep it stable. Most probably, it was the need for a quiet engine, that I used magic ores as a way to conduit magic into the circuit of the vehicle, next connected to the two heavy wheels.

One could easily get the bike moving by adjusting the wind magic they channelled across the handles.

“How does this even work?” Regis asked as she looked in awe at its beautiful construct and was soon attached to it. She just couldn’t help herself without asking me about it.

“You are going to ride it together with me.” I simply explained.

“Huh! Why me? Aren’t you the one who made it?” Regis seemed a little surprised.

‘Though I had never seen such a strange magical device before, but I had already made up with the fact that I was going to accept everything of Alicia including the unfathomable uncanny stunts she could pull off.’ Regis thought to herself and felt it was pointless to confirm its origins.

“I can’t because I don’t have a driving license.” I sounded adamant over there. There’s no way I wanted a case file reported against me for breaking laws. But since Regis was an elf, I am sure I did not find any laws regarding age limit imposed on driving motor bikes in elf kingdom. So, its fine, if it’s her.

“If you are not willing to ride it yourself, it sounds even more sketchier. But it is one of the things that primarily work on wind magic, so I want to give it a try.” Regis was up for the job and ready to take control of the handles.

She  stylishly mounted the motorcycle, which I actually did not expect from a first timer, much less someone from another world.

I made this vehicle back in the labyrinth during my free time, so that  I and my little sister Lili, could ride together in it and explore all of the labyrinth. It was supposed to be a surprise for her and even Father was jealous to be not a part of making of such an amazing project. But Lili left for her studies before I could finish on the machine. And now seemed to be one of those times, when it was destined to be used and brought into the light, serving its real purpose.

I hopped on behind her and gave a brief explanation to her of its working, and Regis caught on to the details as a natural. She could have been an in-born rider.

Regis was puffed up in excitement as she quickly started pouring magic into the device. The wheels grazed over the land and the bike started moving forward. Slowly but surely, she was overcoming her fear of using magic.

Thanks to the wheels affixed with magic ores and gravity magic enchantment layered with several other earth spell casts, specifically designed by me. Even a novice could manage to keep balance on the two wheels in their first try. All Regis needed to do was manage the handles and take note of the directions.

Regis had an animated look on her face, as she couldn’t help but feel that the machine was alive to move on its own and even so at an unbelievable speed.

We were riding through the wind, basking in the morning light of the sun, and inhaling the fresh glucose smell of amber leaking from the barks of the young trees. I took care of all the monsters as I magically casted webs around the compound area where I could sense their presence.

Either they were caught or slashed through the webs or the poison spread over them took the last of their lives. I was hundred percent sure I got all of them, and no one could intrude on our pleasant time we were spending together right now. Regis could drive in peace without worrying about anything.

“Feels nice to ride like this, it’s fast, comfy and we might get to our destination before afternoon?” Regis said a bit louder as her voice felt chased by the wind. But she seemed to be enjoying this new experience a lot.

And so did I, when it specially meant getting one step closer to reaching Athena, I could prefer nothing more than that.

“Regis, why not try to channel more of your magic and we can go even faster.” I dictated a well-thought-out suggestion.

“I am not sure, what if I can’t handle my magic power and lost control.” Regis sounded worried, and like an adult, as if she was trying to look out for me.

“It’s fine. This vehicle’s body is purely made of Magitite Ores so even a catastrophe cannot leave a dent on it.” I justified and guaranteed the safety of the ride.

“But still, shouldn’t we be more careful…”Regis was suddenly cut short in words as if she forgot to take a breath.

I had happily leaned in closer and rested my head against her back, by now. Patting her stomach lightly with my arms extended further, I wrapped them around Regis’s waist.

In return, she let out a small squeal and in a voice that did not seem to belong to her and slight broken she said, “Alright! If this is… what you want? I will show you exactly what speed is. So, please hold me… tighter.”

And so, I did, and at the same time the motorbike roared as it went past the speed of wind. Breaking through the air pressure flowing in our exact opposite direction. We crossed an entire forest as the elevation of ground grew higher and higher.

But it did not affect our speed, as I tightened my grip around Regis and got closer to her making sure not to be left behind in the speed. This was my first time sitting behind someone on a bike, but I trusted her. Except the fact that somehow the vehicle had broken past the speed limit and it seemed to be moving stiff in Regis’s hand.

Why isn’t she slowing down? I wondered, not thinking too much of it.

“Alicia… how does this thing slows down.” Regis asked in a casual hurry, hoping that she might had not latched on to some of the particulars properly.

“Yeah, that’s simple. Just apply the brakes.” It was a blunt explanation for the excitement we felt. But now it was slowly turning into something a little more than unnerving.

“Brakes..!!! Where’s that supposed to be.” Regis asked with a little uncertainty and a bit cautioned by now.

Meep.

Screams of two ordinary girl sky-rocketed in the vast plains of the Northern deserted part of the Demon Continent, and their screaming suddenly vanished, with the same intensity they took rise.

Clearing a path through the long grass, mowing down everything that came in front of the bike, Regis did her best not to lose balance. There was only to an extent the wheels could have maintained that safe stable equilibrium, after a threshold had been crossed in magic supply. And with Regis’s chaotic wind magic, it came sooner than expected.

And now even a slight breeze could have blow us away from the straight path, we were heading in. As we still kept on ascending height, almost reaching a vertical.

But how quickly one discovers the forbidden, and what seems to be having fun turns out to be a grim dark ride.

Unexpectedly a cliff appeared as Regis tried out several ways to manoeuvre the bike and stop it before drifting off into the sky. She still hadn’t given up, and it was something that she would do regardless to keep us safe. It was  a praiseworthy gesture from a friend and I always knew I could depend on her.

‘I am out of here.’ But it was simply not one of those times and I decided for myself without a second thought or question.

We were screwed, the moment I realised I never understood the importance of having breaks in a vehicle. I was blameless and had still plenty of years before I could have tried for an actual driving test so I had little to no knowledge of an actual one.

Maybe the racing games I used to play in my previous world, should have put much thought on making the players use brakes from time to time than just accelerating on nitro to win. And to be honest the bike’s design was just based on one of the car-toy figurines I used to play with in my childhood.

 ‘Maybe I should have taken some of father’s insight in this after all, or even as a sacrificial goat for test drive. Mother would have surely consented for it.’ I understood the importance of having adult’s supervision while doing such dangerous practices. I will make sure of letting Regis know about it. She ought to be more careful with her life.

As the motorbike took off like a projectile mercilessly sent flying from the top edge of the cliff. One couldn’t have missed comparing it to a bird’s first flight. As I left Regis’s protection and rather trusted on my instinct to use flight magic.

With a deep cry from Regis later turned into a muted cry and followed by another long scream and rustling of tree branches.

Finally, ending with a…. Thump!

The bike rammed from the top into the cluster trees dozens of meter below, while I unscathed landed on the ground. Seeing Regis knocked out on one of the branches hanging out like a wet cloth left under the sun to dry.

The bike was stuck in between the nodes of the same tree, as the wheels slowly came to a halt.

“Now I remember, why I didn’t integrate the brakes in the bike. I could have simply cut off the magic supply to slow down the vehicle.” I felt proud of myself who might not had been that scatter-brained, but an ingenious.

I applied healing magic on Regis and woke her up, making sure not to tell her about this. And secretly put the bike back in my dimensional storage, before she could try to pulverize it with a stone in her outrage.

“Get it together Regis.” I called out to her, as she woke up from a sleeping nightmare.

But it’s still all in the good since I got to know the bike was absolutely strong,  a few manual parts missing. An amateur’s mistake.

After all I couldn’t let my small sister ride alone on such a dangerous vehicle. So, this was a worth it learning experience.

I and Regis were now back on our trip, as we had lost our only mode of transportation with that accident. At least I labelled it as one. Walking was the only option.  In between we took a rest at a small pond we found on the way and ate what big sister Edith had packed for us. It was a delightful treat, another of her talents she hid from all others.

Soon night fell and we were still crossing the same forest. The map was of no use, since we couldn’t find any landmarks pointed out for us on it close by and had lost all sense of direction after the sun would have set.

Subsequent hours of walking and not able to find where exactly we landed after hitting rock bottom from cliff, kept us on edge. It was best if we found a dry place to rest and in an open place where we could keep guard from monsters sprawling in these parts of the forest.

“Let’s camp here. If you want to have dinner.” I suggested. As I lit up a fire with a soft snap of my fingers.

I took out a large canvas, from my dimensional storage and started putting it in place.

“What are you looking for?” Regis asked as I looked around in between the tools for something specific.

“I am unable to find the locks to put on the door of the tent?” I asked worriedly.

“What? There’s no such thing as that.”

“That’s so unsafe and unreasonable.” I said in a panicked state.

“The only unreasonable thing is you trying to put a lock on a tent. How were you even able to survived for this long outside?” Regis hollered at me.

“Maybe I am just that good!” I said pompously, realising I might had a hidden potential to overcome these types of challenges. A good friend can really point out their friend’s good qualities.

“I am not complementing you.” Regis sneered at me.

“Then we will just have to spend the night without a tent.” I declared. Since, I too wanted to learn how exactly it feels at a camp-out. I was prepared to go to any length to have that satisfaction.

The burning flickers of the wood-fire grew weaker and weaker, as we had turned all the dry wood we had collected into ash. We were more than too tired, to go in search for collecting a new batch in the dark.

“I hate this! It’s rough and its dark and the noises keeps on creeping me out… and I can’t sleep outside like this.” Regis who was sitting quietly until now, enjoying the warmth of the bonfire, maybe not as much as me. In her unforeseen mental explosion, attracting all the nocturnal animals to our side.

I know, even Regis could not deny the feeling that we were missing on some chewy marshmallows we could have baked over the bonfire. She was just a little more emotional about it with her outburst.

Regis next grabbed me by my shoulders and giving me a heavy jolt and pleaded, “Just make that magic house already, or shove it out from your dimensional storage.” Her voice was frantic.

“No.” I denied the request harshly in her face.

“But why?” Regis said in an agitated state.

“This is an authentic camping trip, so we cannot have those luxuries here. You will just have to sleep by putting your head on the log.”

“So, why do you have that feathered pillow on you back.” Her brow knit further in frustration as she pointed at the mushy white feathery cushion, on which I rested.

“It’s a gift from big sister Edith. She would be sad if I don’t use it. It has a fruity fragrance that keeps away all the insects from coming close to me.”

“Why didn’t big sister pack for me one too.” Regis bit her tooth hard, inflicting the pain of that anger on herself.

“If you want we can share in this one.” I suggested. As I parted with half of the pillow, which I slid across me, and made room for her to join me.

Regis had now a keen look on her face, as if she realised that it was better for her to share than have one for each.

“Don’t mind me.” Regis happily chimed in.

Just about when she was to put her head on the pillow and lie near me…

“Ouch!” She breathed as her falling head hit hard on the ground. “What now?” Her cry followed.

“Regis, we are leaving. It seems that a large group of monster is approaching our way.”

”Did they find us out. If so, then we can just ambush them here. I am going to wipe their existences from this planet.” Regis was determined to take them out, with the charges of them being a doomed species on this planet for denying her sleep beside me.

“No, on the contrary we just might be able to get out of this forest with their help.” I declared with utmost confidence.

Yes! At least that’s what I planned. Because such large number of monsters moving at the same time in an irregular stride was uncommon.

Regis knocked an arrow to her bow, as she stayed on her toes. Ready to shoot on the sight of a hostile enemy.

The heavy footsteps quickened, as the ground rumbled.

Regis who possessed a good-eyesight, was now clearly able to see, despite the darkness and the trailing dust the monsters raised in fury.

“Alicia, don’t they seem to be like running from something. And there are so many of wolve monsters…”

Regis mouth left agape, as she couldn’t bring herself to finish the words. The next second the whole forest was in the effect of black haziness that lit darker than the night sky.

Black flames wrapped the whole land. But something still unextraordinary was happening as the wolves burnt with agonised howls, not even leaving their ashes behind. The grass and the trees were unharmed at the same time.

Such a brilliant manipulation of magic on a vast scale and the ability to disintegrate dozens of monster in a blink of an eye. The sight was so ludicrous that Regis could not put a finger on what she was looking or even describe it without calling it the wrath of the nature. But she exactly knew who could have attained such a feat.

.

I coyly smiled back at Regis who was looking at me with wide open eyes, except for my indifferent impassive eyes glowing. My hands brandished and aimed at the huge pack of wolf monsters, which were wiped out by now and nothing left to report.

Regis couldn’t explore the fact whether it was an expression of hate or for her I was just simply emotionless and self-contained.

“Alicia! How were you planning to get us out of here?” Regis asked trying to move her mind away from those obscure thoughts.

I who had drifted too far, while taking out my enmity from one of my past nemesis and grudges. I had made it a rule and motto to wipe out every evil wolf that came in my sight and then maybe try to find out what they were actually trying to do.

“Talking about animals or monsters when they are afraid of anything wouldn’t that mean they would always run to safety.” I replied to Regis’s question in a plain tone, as if losing the listless disposition, I had a moment before.

“… I see. That’s brilliant.” Regis responded. Even though she took a while to understand my plan, she too knew the ways of the forest; the instincts of elves I guess.

In this case, the monsters appeared to be running haphazardly and if they were trying to escape from something dangerous. They would surely want to get to their shelter, where it was safer. That would have to be the centre of the forest and where it got deeper and easy to hide.

If we just reverse the situation for us, then travelling in the opposite direction of their march would lead us to the less denser part of the forest which should mostly point us to getting outside. Probably a road or a settlement nearby.

“Then are we going to proceed further with that?” Regis asked for a final confirmation go on my end. Since, I had vanquished the threat, there was no need to move so quick now.

“I think we have a chance now. We shouldn’t let go of the possibility that someone else could be nearby.” I thoughtfully spoke.

“Ok, then let’s be careful and proceed.” Regis said with caution, but I felt it was unneeded.

We walked for a couple of minutes and instead of going in circles previously, we were surely getting to somewhere.

As we spotted a clear patch of land and what appeared to be a temporary road. But Regis and I waited behind the bushes and under the darkness bestowed on us by the trees. Watching all of the scene unfold in front of us.

A cart of just the sort that might show up in an RPG, lay resting behind a huge boulder. Two men kept on peeking from the safety of a thin curtain from the back of the cart. Holding tightly on to the curtain as if their life rested on it.

But I ever doubted those flimsy piece of clothes could have shielded them from the sharp canines of the wolf monsters that could tear down almost anything they placed in their broadened mouth.

But what actually protected them for real, appeared to be a silhouette, of not one but two as they kept running in circles making convoluted movements to confuse the wolves and not leaving any blind spot for them to attack even in groups.

While one of them wearing a small hoody cloak, made of jute. She might not have been the best of runners, but making sure that they were on higher ground, an advantageous position. They continuously threw rocks on the wolves to agitate them and keep them at bay from attacking at the same time.

Both I and Regis noticed, the silence lurking in the presence of another cape bearer. She ran so fast almost camouflaged by her own shadow. Her hood came off with a final turn, only to put on display a pair of Doberman ears on her head. Her short brown hairs unkempt and frilly. A female demi-human, in her mid-teens.

The next moment a pair of two small daggers got picked up in her hands from the pocket of the tight short jeans that wrapped around her legs.

A brief expression of anger surfaced on her face with a growl. The hairs at her back and around her cheeks grew several times. The layer of muscles around her arms and legs appeared to be puffed up. The grip of her sole on the ground, further tensed up. And in the next moment like a gale of wind she moved and vanished.

And every wolf who had been focused on the other person in question, had their necks flying off. The girl contended with daggers ran at an unbelievable swiftness. As Regis wondered; could her arrows even catch up to that speed.

Usually, demi-humans did possess strong physical abilities, but the strength and swiftness the person showed in her transformation went beyond any of those standards, even saying it was more than extra-ordinary. The common logic of people from this world would have denied it as a simple illusion spell at work.

But what was happening in front of us was real as the blood stains that had littered the earth red and monster’s head several meters apart from their actual bodies left a scared and defended mark on the other wolves as they ran away.

I could surmise it into some kind of beast transformation skill and a very advanced one at that too.

The demi-human seemed to be awfully cautious about the safety of the other person in hood. As it made sure no monster got close to that specific person and the next came the safety of the individuals in the cart.

It was clearly evident that the other person might not had been too strong to protect themselves. But even then putting themselves in danger and helping out each other.

Pointed out to only one thing that they were together and deeply trusted each other.  All this and I concluded it all with my detective temperament. I still can’t believe when the school detective club decided to rejected my joining application back at school, just because I wrote my field of interest as uncovering the identity of an international kid spy that could have been hiding inside our school. One in a million chance, I know it! But it was a worthy challenge for a visionary astute detective.

By the flow of things and how it all went down, there was no need for me or Regis too help and the two seemed capable enough to take care of themselves in the situation.

But then what really made this act unbelievable for me was the fluence at which they were getting this job done. A simple yet difficult plan to follow if even one could have messed up; putting the other’s life in danger and had to face the lot of monsters alone. But the fact they dispatched every one of them within few minutes, just went to show how good they could work together.

Regis too was shocked to see their efficient way of doing this job with almost no special strength. The demi-human transformation reversed back and she went to normal. Bringing us back to the realisation that she was the same young demi-human girl. She seemed to be awfully tired after that transformation given that she might had now ran out of magic power as well.

The demi-human followed to the place where the other person was standing in waiting and we kept our eyes on her. Suddenly a tensed expression welled up on her face as she hastily retreated to the side of that person in hood and whispered in her ears and using some hand signs as well. I was right, they were more than acquaintances.

The person in the hood took the news with surprise and calmed down. Soon we found her walking to our secret spot while the demi-human remained at her side all time in guard.

From near the bushes, she called in another girl’s voice, “I know you are there. Show yourself.”

Regis seemed to hesitate, as she was unable to understand how we were found out. Or, why she called out only for one when we were two.

That was pretty simple, most probably that demi-human in her transformed state was able to smell Regis with her heightened senses. While, I was wearing my mask which cloaked and protected me form such kind of search spells. Had the Great Spirit of forest not found me out, then I would have gone unnoticed even in the elf kingdom.

But for now, the person under the short cloak, pushed back her hood a little, to reveal herself as another black-haired girl, probably the same age as us but had more mature looks and vibe attached to her persona. She again called out in her shrill voice even more clear to us than previous, “It’s totally safe. So, you can come out now.” Her hardened voice had flexed into a kind gesture.

Regis walked out as she pushed me back with her hand for me to stay back as she thought herself to measure the safety of the situation. For all we could have known that the people here could be highway robbers as we had been warned back in the elf kingdom.

“I am sorry for hiding. You see…”

“We are lost and want to get to the port town.” The moment I interrupted and came out of the bushes as well, unannounced taking everyone by surprise. For one I did not followed Regis’s precautionary measures and because I was out of the expectations of the other two girls.

“But how?” The demi-human murmured under her breath.

“If you two are alone, why don’t you join us on the wagon to get to the nearest town and if you want to get to the sea as you said then you can find a carriage taking you there from the town itself.” Slickly hiding her amused face and putting on a calm expression the human girl in hood described to us our only option..

“Regis why don’t we take on their offer, you didn’t want to sleep in the middle of nowhere did you?” I swiftly seeked for Regis’s approval. I too was worried for her comfort, and if we had a better alternative we could surely aim for an inn in the town. It was not like I only wanted to try out how a hotel in another world looks like for the first time.

“But?”

“We can stay in the same room if you want.” I added.

“Ok fine. It’s not like we can do anything by staying in the forest in the dead at night.” Regis agreed as she fell for the Alicia’s temptation.

“But surely you can’t be riding on without paying for the fare. I take it that you two are travelling together!?” The person under the hood sounded serious after adding in our confirmation.

Well, that just meant they were open for business.

“Understood, just tell us the cost and we will pay.” Regis said, as one who was also the in charge of keeping tabs on the money spent on our journey. It was best in my interest, since I didn’t know the exact denomination and value of money in this world. And I might have lost sense of it after living without the need of currency in the labyrinth for about four years.

But surely one day, I could make big in business like I was told my father was a business giant in my previous world.

As the four of us approached the cart, with the girl in hood leading the charge. Her back protected by the careful gazes of the demi-human, who was still doubtful of us. Though those careful glances only made her look a bit childish in her tender age and added to her charms with those special ears.

 I and Regis were right behind with them. Turns out, we were close to one of the settlements on the map which also luckily fell on our way to the port town, from where we would board a ship and reach the human continent.

The two men, who were hiding inside the cart were a merchant and the other was the owner and driver of the cart himself.

Regis climbed onto the cart, while out of nowhere a hand reached out to me to help me board on it. It was from the girl with the hood as she passed a generous smile to me from underneath. I happily grasped it and climbed onto. While two gazes saw us with shaken expression on their faces, belonging to Regis and the demi-human. As if they were unacceptable of this sudden blossoming relationship.

“Hi-yaaaaa!!” The cart driver moved to the front and yelled. Inflicting  a weak lash to the back of the horses, they neighed and trooped forward. The horses in this world were much stronger and bigger, compared to my previous world. While some of the rare ones could have possessed skills that made them relatively faster than an average horse and special at the same time.

“We wouldn’t have been alive, if it weren’t for you two to be here.” said the other man with facial hair and a beer belly. Sitting opposite to us, surrounded by huge wooden barrels with rations; making the little cart a bit more than cramped after we came on board. By description and all means he might be a merchant travelling to the next city for selling goods.

“It certainly would have helped a lot if the cheap guards you hired, wouldn’t turn their back on us and ran away like scaredy cats.” The demi-human girl said in a hardened tone.

“I would keep that in mind. But you know hiring adventurers for such jobs are pretty expensive. So, this time I wanted to try out with some volunteers. Its shameless to accept that a merchant went for the fallen fruit just to save some chump change.” The merchant laughed worriedly wiping the little trail of sweat from his brow. After he just escaped a life-threatening situation he was still struck with fear, but I think he was probably more worried about losing his goods.

The four of us kept on listening quietly to the babbling of the merchant, until he posed a question which got both me and Regis interested.

“I would surely like to know the name of my saviours, not if you would mind sharing with me!”

“My name is Caige.” The Girl in hood introduced herself and then beckoned to her friend.

“And my name is Maia.” The beast human wryly said. She did not think much highly of the merchant or might not had given out her name even on asking if her friend wouldn’t have done the same.

The merchant then glanced, a moment’s hesitation as if he was going to make an unreasonable request, “Would you like to work for me in keeping my items safe. You see, I am a peddler and frequent travelling is a given. You have already given a wonderful demonstration of your power and I am more than willing to pay you well.” The merchant stared at the beast girl.

“Caige…” Maia the demi-human whispered to her partner.

“Unfortunately, I don’t think your friend would be too helpful in this job. But a demi-human like you still young, would surely need a stable paying job.” The man’s evil eyes creepily grazed over her from top to bottom.

I felt warped by his statement. He was clearly offering an incentive to one member and denying the other. Even well knowing that how they worked well together and he would be dumber if he still hadn’t realised that.

The merchant’s eyes were only scrutinizing the power the demi-human girl possessed. But the elegant beauty which the other girl in hood possessed of handling jobs which such simplicity was simply ignored.

“Aha-haaa… It seems so mister that you haven’t learnt your lesson. Did you just now forget what happened because of what you did?” Caige said as if trying to carry the conversation in a specific direction and by the glares of the merchants he wanted to avoid it happening at all costs.

“Little girl mind your own business. I am only interested in this demi-human here. So will you work for me?” The merchant aggressively forced the conversation by ogling at the prize he was so after.

“I am not going to work for a cheapskate like you!” Maia shunned her with a harsh reply on her face.

Before the merchant could try to persuade her any further, Caige head bent and moved forward, her demeanour exuding a pressure of something close to over-confidence. But the calmness around her raised shoulders only made it look like she was going for total victory and complete eradication.

“Aren’t you here trying to repeat the same mistake again. That’s why I hate humans who simply refuse to learn and only welcome things that go their way. Did you forget the two imprudent guards you hired, who so brazenly teased the wolves and attracted a whole pack of them? Only to abandon you on the pretext that they weren’t willing to risk their lives for the little chump change you threw at them.” Caige explained to the situation of what had actually transpired and what brought those wolves attacking in large numbers on them.

Most probably the other two guards in mention were already eaten by some of the scattered wolves since I could not feel any other presence nearby before leaving.

But like a contest had already began between Caige and the merchant as I watched not knowing what might happen next. While, Regis seemed to be annoyed by the fuss they were making altogether, or rather she might have shot someone if they would have started a fight, to quieten things down while she rested after her long travel.

Their expression contrasted sharply. The black-haired girl still under the hood was unconcerned, with a dead, expressionless mien. Meanwhile, the fat merchant was an open source of seriousness, perhaps from tension.

Suddenly the cart that was until now moving at a steady pace came to a brisk halt.

“The forest forks from here into two pathways. Would you two girls happen to know which is the right way, since you told me that you are natives there.”

“I thought it’s about time for making our collection.” The girl chimed in as she pushed back her hood willfully, her black hairs dangled low to her waist. Sharpening her gazes almost seeing through everything a cold expression surfaced on her face.

So, she was a human after all. But then why did she say before that she hated all humans and still gave me a hand? I wonder.

“Girl you there, tell him the way. We need to reach to the town quick, or my eatery items will get spoiled otherwise.” The merchant passed a disgusting stare at Caige.

On the other hand, she just smiled wanly, and none of us knew at that time (maybe except for Maia) that a dirty game was already set in motion.

 

***Note for Readers***

Good news : You can already read the next chapters and find out what happens next with Alicia on her journey, on my patreon page and become my supporter at a very small price and gain maximum benefits.

Do check out my patreon page and support me - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

 

Special thanks from the bottom of my heart to all my new patrons :

Hpf3 {hero}

Skygo

Useless

thibaut perrier

 

\_(ツ)_/ ̄ Join discord community to have access to a large number of illustrations related to the chapter and also keep getting informed about the chapter release dates and news.

 

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

 

 

\_(ツ)_/ ̄ SUPPORT ME IN MY WRITING ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

 

Till now I have published from volume one to volume five for free. And I hope to continue to do so even now. It has really been an exciting work for me to narrate you the story of our main character who fights her way to the bottom of abyss with her magic and skills and then eventually storms in the outside world.

Keeping the text error free takes a lot of revisions and consumes time, but no work is ever perfect. With your support and reviews I know that I have improved a lot in my writing.

You can support my writing by reviewing my book on the platform you are reading or especially rate my book on Amazon Kindle.

And even now I am asking for a bit more that if you voluntarily support my writing then you can do it now by donating me.

 

Paypal - paypal.me/Harshitintelligent

 

Become a patreon(for early access to chapters) - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

Buy me a coffee at - https://ko-fi.com/noelelitia

 

Even a little amount helps. I hope that you keep enjoying my work and in knowing the interesting characters which will be constantly introduced to you in the story.

I hope that the next chapter too proves to be to your liking!

41