VOLUME 6 : CHAPTER – 14 : A DEVIL’S DEAL
1.5k 5 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello Readers,

Great news, volume 7 has already started publishing on my Patreon page and many new tiers have been updated there. Also you can read 5 chapters in advance and support me in my writing.

Link to patreon page - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Thank you!

 

CHAPTER - 14  

A DEVIL'S DEAL

 

CAIGE

What’s happening. This was not how it should be. First he and now the younger brother too. Just who is this doctor behind orchestrating all of this. I thought as I despaired to see the younger Dalton Brother, leader of the Dalton Band. The one who leads the greatest group of bandits in all the independent regions of the Demon Continent, turning into something inhumane.

 

That injection must have been a mage craft alchemic tool, to have been able to do this. The only thing between the tornado of flames from the creature and us was a blue barrier.

 

“Everyone we need to get out of here. Is it possible to fight this thing if Alicia’s magic gets absorbed and Regis’s arrows would not reach him? Nothing would work. We should fall back and plan. Or inform the adventurer guild or the knights.” I was trying to think of protecting everyone and getting out of this place. That is the only thing I could do.

 

That’s the only thing I have ever done…. Will that be the only thing I ever do?

 

I cannot wield a sword or whisper a magic chant to protect myself. Everywhere I squandered on the streets I looked for opportunities proving myself I was not the useless kid that was denied her home, her family and her place in this world.

 

I always run away when I realize things are beyond me. Even though I know it means I am not stupid, it doesn’t make me more capable. What if this blue barrier could not hold any longer? What if we get caught in the flames.

 

I was born magicless and so I did not know the measure or scale power levels of a person. I was always scared of this disability. Or, rather I distrust myself for never being able to find out other’s strength. Only looking for their weaknesses before mine is discovered.

 

That’s how I played at my life… and that’s how I have always won at it. But it never left me fulfilled.

 

I was failing myself to even come to trust the two who saved me from this crisis. I was not sitting there waiting for a miracle or my wishes to come true.

 

They simply don’t. They are fairy tales for the coward who cannot put in their own best efforts. I had a purpose in life and yet I find myself insufficient even after working tirelessly for several years.

 

A devil’s offer… I remembered the bi Dalton brother’s words.

 

Today seemed to me more like a nightmare, than reality.

 

And yet here I was….and her too.

 

I did not know when it became so silent. All I could hear was the steps of the person a girl a bit younger than me coming for me.

 

“I said to Maia that I will save you. And I don’t intend to leave things halfway.” The girl named Alicia spoke her words to me.

 

She removes her mask, a thing which seemed a bit unfair to reveal out of nowhere and without warning.

 

The scorching heat I felt on my unprotected skin vanished, and a calm cold settle over my body. Until then the wind was scarce due the stronghold walls, but now they were blowing all around.

 

I had trouble keeping my eyes open against the tears that poured continuously down my face. I stood silent, rubbing my eyes as I fought to keep from breaking down. The glow faded around her. A beautiful face glowing brighter than any freshly minted gold coin I had ever seen.

 

Her previously black hairs evolved into much longer white hairs that cascaded down to her waist. Fluttering in the breeze to blanket the full night sky. Her hairs and glowing red eyes made her look otherworldly.

 

I knew something was not normal about this girl. But what I was about to see was now going to surpass all my reasoning and understanding of this world.

 

While Maia, Regis, and I lay protected behind a translucent blue barrier. The creature in front of us continuously spat fire burning down everything. But the barrier held without any dent in it. I felt safe along with Maia here.

 

Alicia brandished her hands. Weaponless, no chants… no defensive barriers.

 

The creature in front of us appeared to be preparing another death ray, its body size grown twice its original.

 

[BLACK FLARE]

 

A small wave of black fluid that flickered like flames left her arms. The moment the fat ray of orange flames comes in contact with the black flames.

 

For the first time, I find myself concerned for a stranger’s life.

 

Maia too prayed with her hymns taught in the orphanage. But Regis, she stood there with a beaming face, as if she already knew the result.

 

…Because it is known that it is in the nature of the spark to ignite the moment.

 

When I and Maia looked carefully, the black flames suddenly unfurled slowly into an inferno of much bigger flames, until it rivaled that of the creature.

 

It was then like a miracle of Gods. Her whole body began glowing with the same indescribable color as her eyes, and I could see the glow spreading to me as well.

 

Taking a deep breath, I gathered my thoughts and concentrated.

 

As we watch all creation burning in a sea of black flames.

 

The walls of the stronghold slowly crumpled and vanished into nothing.

 

Alicia was…awesome and flawless. Even seeing her destroy everything in her path she was unaffected and unbind by any law or from any grievances of society.

 

Untouched and pure.

 

As every evil of society would all burn up and vanish in those purgatory flames. But ultimately this girl Alicia truly did not care for anything else except what she wanted.

 

She was everything I, Caige hoped to be and I still could be not.

 

The black flames slowly began to take shape, shifting from chaos into an unbelievably precise design. It then surrounds the orange light and slowly starts devouring it.

 

From that black flame, the darkness eats away and releases the gayest of honeyed lights. Until Alicia closes her palm and all that is left is a raven patch of land with nothing left inside of it.

 

The creature was gone, dissolved, and melted in the flames almost immediately. It did not stand a chance from the very beginning.

 

The blue barrier vanishes in front of us. And under the starry night sky, in a single night or rather a matter of few minutes the Demon Continent’s most feared Bandit Group was wiped out of existence.

 

I and Maia held hands together as if we were no longer in the same forest. But a foreign patch of land with nothing in it. The entire hillside was actually now stripped of that greenery.

 

It was a sight so absurd that it had to be a dream or a hallucination.

 

However, while we were only vaguely aware of our surroundings. There was something far more unusual before my eyes.

 

A lone girl stood in front of us, with her new physical appearance so mesmerising that it made everything else seem like a pale imitation of reality.

 

“Ah…” Her voice faded into a soft sigh as she relaxed her hands.

 

⸺Is such power really allowed to be possessed by just a single girl. I thought to myself.

 

For a second our eyes met and without a fault, I found myself captured in an instant. I did not know what to speak.

 

Just then Regis came from the back and while jumping she hugged Alicia tightly. I was shocked to see this bizarre nature of Regis who minutes ago was so ruthless while crushing those bandits near the prison cell.

 

“Alicia thank you so much! I am really grateful we were able to save all those kids.” Regis had the most prettiest smile I had seen in a while.

 

While Alicia smiles with more than her mouth, hearing it in her voice, in the choice of her words and the way she relaxed. It was beautiful.

 

I have again killed someone to protect myself alone. But watching her use her power I realize now why she was the one to wield it because she used it to keep others safe.

 

“Here Alicia take back your money. The Bandits did not accept it and were already planning to imprison me. I still owe you a debt and I intend to pay it back.” Maia walked with a small packed bag in her hand.

 

Alicia and Regis separate from their hug, while she gazes at Maia. Her eyes had stopped glowing and they become gentle again.

 

“Maia can you give it to the orphanage to help the children there and the others to get back to their homes. I am sure that would be enough.” Alicia said reflecting the same positive energy as Regis. As if nothing from a while ago that happened bothered them.

 

“Its 25,000 Crown gold coins. All the Sisters would faint seeing such an absurd amount. Are you really sure?” Maia said with guarded eyes directed toward me.

 

“Don’t worry about the debt ghost. Just now I realize that it was a childhood scare that Alicia played me into.” Regis chided Alicia.

 

“No, it’s not.” Alicia denied Regis’s claim.

 

“Maia wait! Before accepting the money I have to know… why? Why are you so willingly trying to help us? It’s not right…” I stood in front of Alicia face to face. I thought I was braver but my trembling hands would deny me that.

 

“⸺Caige.” Maia called out to her.

 

“No! I need to know. What’s your angle for helping us all? What are you plotting? Why would anyone help us for nothing at all.” My neck was overwhelmed with her emotion and I felt a bit painful inside.

 

“You have got it wrong. It would be much easier if I show you this.” Alicia snapped her fingers in the air. And a glitter of blackness clouded my vision.

 

Next, all of us find ourselves in a closed black room. Gold light came from everywhere, but it was not the stars or the sunshine, but the light reflecting from the large gold coins spread all across the room.

 

As a matter of fact, the room was completely filled with it and there was only a little space where we were left standing. Everywhere we looked around there were the bright gold coins. The envy of every living rational being in abundance littered the place.

 

But there was only one claim to the rightful owner of such unbelievable treasure ⸺ the girl in white, Alicia.

 

“Consider it an investment, I need you two to work for me. But if you do not want it, you are free to go and still keep the money.” Alicia announced, her eyes looking down on us. Unlike ours whose gazes were fixated on the gold; she was looking at us.

 

“……” Maia kept quiet listening to everything Alicia ordered as if some unknown force made her to act that way.

 

“So, you are going to force us in helping you. What do you even know about our lives?” I said haughtily.

 

“Of course, I cannot. And that’s why I cannot fulfill your dreams but I can free you from the chains preventing you to do so yourself. What I am offering in return to you is your freedom and means to do what you have always wanted to.” 

 

Despite Alicia’s soft voice, everyone froze up. Regis who had been aware of Alicia’s plan still did not understand the reason for bringing them back to this mystical room.

 

And I who had actually seen this offer coming could not still find it in my heart to label this place real. But now I knew exactly what she wanted.

 

… From the very beginning when we first met and she made that deal on the cart, I was the one who was scammed and outwitted.

 

“If it is alright to assume that this gold place is genuine, then it is just as I thought it would be! So what do you want us to have do?” I grinned for the first time in the day.

 

“That was easy, then make a deal with me.” Alicia beamed at me and Maia.

“A deal?” Maia did not understood the intent behind the statement.

 

But it reminded me of the talk I had with the Big Dalton Brother about the pact of the Devils. And in the present moment, she appeared no less from it and yet far from its treacherous visages.

 

But there was a price to pay…. Because nothing ever comes free.

 

“You are free to choose anything in this room and then you will forever be mine and work for me.” Alicia announced.

 

A choice…

 

At those words I noticed something as Maia looked around the room. She did not seem to be much bothered by the offer or unfamiliar with this place. As if she had already been proposed and promised the same.

 

And yet she was naïvely and innocent to do the same mistake. Only seeing the things in front of her… the gold. Thinking how they could get more in a single catch.

 

I took Maia’s face between my hands. And her eyes gestured me a nod which I returned with a similar smile. Our gazes were more than enough to reach  a life happening and changing consensus.

 

A decision we made that would change our lives forever.

 

Both Maia and I leaped to hold Alicia’s hand as we recited together.

 

“⸺We chose you!”

 

All this time and out of all wonders of the world, the most precious possession, Caige and Maia had ever known and will ever know in this whole place was the one making us this offer.

 

The devil herself…. Smiling faintly.

 

“Well, I am happy to have you.” Alicia shook her hands with us.

 

After that, we had a long talk about what Alicia wanted us to do for her.

 

And I couldn’t help but think that we shared such similar passion and ambition.

 

I take a look around the room inching every corner now trying to guess exactly what wealth this place withhold.

 

“With this much money you can even buy a kingdom and yet you say you want to start from scratch?” I suggested standing in front of a mountain of gold.

 

“Just give me your best. And don’t worry there are ten other rooms like these.” Alicia tilted her head and her charms sparkled all over me.

 

“…Wha!?” An excited scream from me and I fainted on the pile of gold itself.

 

“Caige!!!” The other three kept on shaking me as I dreamt of completing all of my fantasies with this gold.

 

I always wanted and dreamt of doing this. I think everyone does, and I was just fortunate enough to live in it, until again someday I would have one of my own.

⸺’Have you ever met a devil?’

 

A familiar question was posted to me a while back from someone who is now long dead by my own hands. His words resonated in my mind.

 

At that time my answer was a ⸺’no.’

 

And even now I would say exactly. But I think I finally met a devil. Someone close and now very dear to me and I struck a deal with her in a heartbeat.

 

She did not appear in front of us like a white angel of fortune, but offering all this money was akin to making a deal with a devil.

 

It's sketchy, I know, but I think I would for once not mind being conned by someone.

 

And like hell, I would always love to drown in so much money.

 

***

 

THE MORNING

 

It was about time for the sunrise and the four had now returned to the back of the hill from the gold room.

 

By now Caige and Maia had erected three graves, while Alicia and Regis helped them.

 

Alicia was busy carving the names on the stone and shaping them. While Regis used her magic to make the soil airy and easily tillable.

Caige and Maia together dug the holes quickly.

 

The Dalton Brothers and their belongings lay side by side buried in their graves. And a third one was erected for the cart driver who was unwillingly caught in this madness. Even though he knew the risk and had a family. He mostly helped Caige and Maia out of kindness and without any ulterior motive.

 

“Alicia I think we need to leave soon to catch the cart.” Regis asserted as she remembered what the owner of the caravan who promised to take them said, looking at the dawning sun.

 

“So, what do you two plan on doing from here? Continue on your journey to the human continent and find that person you have been looking for? Maia and I want to help too.” Caige pleaded and she had already vested her mind in planning a way to help Alicia.

 

“Things are not just over yet. I don’t like to leave things incomplete. The real culprit behind the kidnappings has not been discovered and knowing that he freely roams who hurt my friends I will not stop until then. I will end what I have started. And I think Caige you know where I might find this person they call the Doctor.” Alicia looked at Caige and she could no longer pretend that she didn’t know anything about it.

 

“City of Gilde. It’s the same place you are heading for.” Caige confessed and shared the information which the elder Dalton brother had hinted to her by throwing the knife on the map.

 

“Maia and Caige, I am really glad I got to know you. Let’s meet together at the port town and when you will arrive I would have already taken care of whoever tried to bring pain to you both. Regis let’s leave.”

 

“When we reach the port town I will help you too.” Caige said.

 

“Goodbye. After we have seen to the orphanage and the kids, we will be there too, to join you.” Maia waved her hands at the two vanishing figures who teleported back to the Plum town.

 

Now Maia notices that Caige for a long while had been silently gazing at the gravestones of the Dalton Brothers. Maia as usual couldn’t tell what was going through Caige’s mind.

 

But she knew Caige was confused about her decision and the reason was Maia herself. Maia never wanted Caige to blame herself for any decision she made for both of them because she always wanted to be a part of the success and failure of her plans.

 

Until Caige spoke her heart which she rarely did. “Can I really live a different life after what I have done? All I have ever known is cheating people and only looking out for my own benefit. Someone so selfish like me…”

 

“Caige that’s not all of you, believe me. You never meant harming anyone and we were in this together from the very start. Remember. So you don’t have to take the blame all on yourself, let me bear half of your burned for you.” Maia urged directly looking into Caige's eyes.

 

Scared. They both were. They agreed to belong to Alicia and work for her. But trusting someone so deeply always comes with its own dangers.

 

“Do you think it will be an easy life for us out there? There was a time when I wanted to run away from everything and now I am stepping back in. I don’t know whether I am fearful or fit to take on the responsibilities I have on me now.” Caige was really acting weak, unlike the courageous front she always put on herself. This frail side of her brought her own feminine charms.

 

Maia pushed her head against Caige gently. Maia knew this always comforted Caige.

 

“I can and I will make sure I am brave enough for both of us to protect you from any danger. I will just have to become super strong. All my life I have ever known this town and the orphanage. And out there it will be a different life for us… No doubt. But it will still be our life to live in the way we want to.”

 

“Thank you Maia for always being for me there. Let’s go back to the orphanage. I think the kids and everyone else would be worried sick about you by now. After all you are their darling.” Caige smirked.

 

“Don’t even begin with that. I need to spend time with everyone properly before we leave for the port town.” Maia blushed thinking that her dream of visiting different places was finally going to come true.

 

“And we also need to make a stop at the nearby town too.” Caige and Maia for a finale caught a glimpse of the third gravestone and started walking back to their hometown.

 

***

 

THE CART

 

Alicia and Regis were able to get to the cart on time. There were a great many other passengers too and it was a long caravan with some adventurers on the forefront to protect them from any surprise bandit attack on the way.

 

They were safely going to reach the port town of Gilde by afternoon and the pleasant cool wind rode with them.

 

As the slow travelling made the two girls fall asleep on the passenger cart. While the previous night they spent awake being the saviour of the town and exterminator for the bandit gang.

 

In between Regis woke up from a sudden jolt and found Alicia still asleep like a baby. She decides to share a cloth just in case to cover them and not catch a cold. The cart driver had informed them that he would wake everyone up when they had reached the destination.

 

“Regis I am sorry I forgot to install the brakes on the bike. Please forgive me. Don’t burn the bike or wreck it.” Alicia murmured in her sleep.

 

“Just what did you say? I will just pretend I didn’t hear that!” Regis said with a strained smile on her face.

 

Regis saw that Alicia was still wearing the mask and underneath she knew her best friend whom she had promised to have an adventure around the world must be having pleasant weird dreams of her own.

 

“Thank you Alicia for helping me to save those elf kids and other children. I was finally able to do something good for my kingdom because of you.” Regis whispered in Alicia’s ears hoping that she was still asleep.

 

She took Alicia’s head and rested it on her shoulder and in turn put her own head on Alicia’s shoulder. As the two cuddled in closer together sharing a single blanket and fell back to pleasant dreams.

 

“I think I was finally able to find what I have to do in this world and what will make me happy. And that’s what I am going to do from here on.” Regis promised to herself in her heart vowing to protect Alicia too at the same time.

 

***

{Next Chapter - Click here}

 

Hello Readers,

Its the start of the month and I wanted to inform all of you that now you can read 5 advanced chapters on my Patreon page and support me there. Volume 6 is already completed there and volume 7 has began. Also, volume 6.5 chapters are being posted.

Do check it out.

Patreon page Link - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Do think of supporting me there.

 

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

31