VOLUME 7 : Chapter – 1 : HOW I WISHED (1)
1.6k 7 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Would like to thank our new patrons:

  • Jeffrey Forsgren
  •  
  • Chain

To read new chapters in advance and support me in writing this novel supporting me on Patreon is highly appreciated.

Patreon page - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

Chapter – 1

HOW I WISHED (1)

 

“It has been a long time since I came here and I can see that you have progressed far in your research.” Erebus walks around the basement looking at several empty chambers that were once filled with test subjects and were now labeled as exterminated.

 

“So how should I be greeting you after so long. Should I say I am glad to see you are doing well, Erebus?” Dr. Orion pays little attention to what Erebus does while he is busy making notes of his observation.

 

“Dr. Orion it's our interest that binds us together.”

 

“Get to the point already of why you are here and then be on your way. As you are able to see, I am very busy with my research.” Dr. Orion feels frustrated seeing someone uninvolved with his research in his laboratory.

 

“I will be. Once I have confirmed that my request has been completed that is. But this place stinks as always and are those new chimeras behind you. I still have the offer of joining my side in the proposal for you.” Erebus intently looks at the unearthly beings that could have been described as barely alive in the cell of the basement.

 

“I don’t like the vibe of anywhere else except my workplace. And I have my research work to do. I need no one’s help or unintelligent company.”

 

”I think you should reconsider saying that given it was me who gave you this place, peace, and most importantly time but at the same time, it was also me who sought you first. You see you will need my help as much as I do of yours.” Erebus calmly reminds Dr. Orion of the favors he has been offered and reasons to be still loyal.

 

Dr. Orion raises the security magic alarm of the basement and seals the tank with the bandaged experiment subject into a five-layered magitite glass shield. He then escorts Erebus out of the laboratory as if he didn’t want him enquiring about this piece.

 

I will let you know that the comatose poison ⸺Long Farewell you made has brought the best of results. The Stark Kingdom will no more interfere in the delivery of the new experiment subjects brought to you here. The next shipment will soon be arriving.” Erebus makes a previous engagement known.

 

“I have no interest in what you do with my research work in your politics and wars. Your golden serum will be delivered to you with exactly the amount you asked for.”

 

“I am grateful to hear that. But is there something that bothers you still?” Erebus could feel that something was going on with Dr. Orion for him being so restless.

 

“If only you could have helped me to get samples from the monsters of the Tathya Labyrinth. They are necessary for my research to move to the next stage.” Doctor Orion in turn reminds Erebus of his failed promise.

 

“Even to me the labyrinth and its monsters remain a secret. In a previous conquest, one of the largest armies was lost and swallowed by the labyrinth. Its barrier is so strong that not even reconnaissance from outside is impossible or for mages with high-class shadow magic to sneak in.” Erebus tries to remember one of the previous quests he had set up for the labyrinth but no news ever reached him from there.

 

“Then find someone capable and strong enough to explore.” Dr. Orion did not care about Erebus’s claims and only find them as excuses.

 

“There are none. The labyrinth is not a place for mortals or the divine but for those who are monsters in the true sense. Perhaps once your chimeras develop intelligence, they can be tasked to do that.” Erebus answers looking directly into the Doctor’s eyes.

 

“They are still far from ready. But I have now learned that my chimeras can be defeated too.” Dr. Orion revealed an important fact to Erebus which he was a bit taken aback to hear.

 

“Aren’t your chimeras supposed to be never dying? When did this happen?” Erebus too was more interested in knowing who defeated the chimera just like the Doctor.

 

After all, the chimeras made by the Doctor are immortal beings with ultra-self-healing skills. Since their soul realm explodes they possess almost infinite magic powers and have no emotions. That means they suffer no pain, feels no empathy, and lose all that makes them human including the original form of their body. The most terrifying mindless killers.

 

After keeping a moment of silence, the Doctor spoke, “Every chimera born after ingesting the serum during its activation sends a signal to my brain. They are now under my command and will only listen to me. The man with the consignment to deliver more experiment material used one of them, became a chimera  but was killed in an instant.”

 

“Couldn’t it possibly have simply failed to evolve and died? Are you sure of it being defeated?”

 

“If that was the case I would have known. Now I have a fyrd of chimera to raise to protect this stronghold.” Doctor Orion looks with a displeased face at Erebus because he was delaying his preparations and he hated even a single second loss which he could have invested in doing his research work.

 

Even I wouldn’t know of someone capable of dispatching a chimera except for a few of the reincarnates, the devils or heroes but I have my shadows on every one of them… possibly. Unless it’s the person favored by the Divine System itself that has finally appeared and has put their first step into this world. I have been waiting for this moment to happen from the beginning and I need to search for them before they become a troublesome force.’ Erebus thought to himself.

 

Erebus now knew that the world had already started changing with the first sign appearing in form of the Elven Kingdom Ascalon’s speedy recovery from its crisis and with the unrest in the Human Continent things were constantly changing. It was also the time when they would need an army of devils, monsters and chimeras would make an excellent addition.

 

“Doctor, you have been doing this for almost more than ten years now. Do you even remember why you started?” Erebus wanted to be sure of the Doctor’s intention that he hadn’t strayed from his path otherwise he will be of no use to him and be dealt with.

 

“I do because it was for my dying child.” Doctor Orion’s short response had pushed him into a long flashback.

 

“And did you get that what you wanted?” Erebus’s second question tries to bring him back to the present.

 

“It doesn’t matter anymore. Everyone I care about is gone. I don’t even remember my daughter’s face. All I know is my research, she could possibly be still here in one of the chambers, in the basement, or roaming as a chimera to guard the place. Or, flushed out as a failure unable to evolve.” Dr. Orion recites the fate of his family without any emotions.

 

The Doctor’s brown hair was messy, sticking out in some places while his hands were in the pockets of his white coat. Despite his unkempt appearance, his noble visage could not be just hidden.

 

His light-yellow eyes were deficient in sleep. But his mind did not give him any rest as it would always take him back to his research. It was his life and he lived only for the sake of his research being completed.

 

The creation of the strongest existence. That was the true purpose of Doctor Orion’s research.

 

‘A father’s quest in search of a cure for her dying daughter. A foolish and unreasonable idea. A hindrance.’ Dr. Orion whispered. As a researcher banished from his kingdom for conducting inhumane experiments on his own daughter and other humans in his maddening pursuit of finding a cure.

 

All his pleas and research were condemned as unholy and dangerous for humanity.

 

But the Doctor could not have accepted the fact as bluntly as others did because he had discovered, that if not for that strange natural omnipotent force, humans can grow and evolve into something even greater.

 

“How far has your research gone?” Erebus was glad that no form of inconvenience or interruption was in the doctor’s research because he would need the chimera serum in the future.

 

“There are internal mutations after I corrode their soul realm. I try to preserve their sanity but they always die before the soul proceeds into the final stage of non-deprecation or should I say permanent immortality. But as if some incomprehensible powers stop me from breaching them further and resisting the required change.” Doctor Orion puts forward his viewpoint his eyes fixed on Erebus.

 

“That is the Divine System, I have forewarned you about. It will stop you from bringing any change that it considers would jeopardize its existence. No one can except for those who are favored by it. We will have to find them next for our purpose.” Erebus had already seen this problem coming but it could have only been resolved now.

 

“Evolution is an indispensable factor for the preservation of humanity and for it to become the strongest race my research needs to be completed. My country, my men, and my very own family did not support me in my research calling it a disaster and a hazard to the nation’s integrity and destruction of all humanity. But I know because of my ancestors, who had once helped the Goddess Arachne during the Great Wars who too was in pursuit of creating the strongest vessel to store her soul. And they call it the ⸺Legacy of Goddess Arachne. My ambitions are not just dreams or fantasy but the future and hope of humanity.” Doctor Orion put his thoughts in straight sentences. Without a glitch, he always worked in a straight line and without rest.

 

“Believe me or not there are infinite number of worlds out there, so many possibilities and yet all of them left undiscovered and untraveled because of one specific sacred chain the Divine system that prevents it from happening. The past and future will keep on repeating itself indefinitely and that is so boring for me. Time gone will never come back and so destiny has many roles for us to maintain that order. Mine for example is beautiful from the outside but hideous from the inside. And so is yours.” Erebus chuckled as he got up from his seat.

 

“So, you want to be ‘that being’ that upsets that order.” Doctor Orion speaks apprehensively wondering how Erebus possessed such knowledge after all he was unaware that he was talking to the God of Darkness himself.

 

“Aren’t you yourself trying to transcend the nature and upset those very laws that binds us and alter the world. The System will soon find you out and ways to eliminate you through the one it favors.

 

“I am not interested in your wisdom Erebus. I will need my promised shipment soon. My work must not stop.”

 

“And that you will have it.” Erebus strikes his hand forward while the Doctor sees it with a displeased face.

 

“Don’t worry. My partner tells me that it’s a handshake to a better relationship. But I think I will have to get to him soon otherwise he will start suspecting me. After all, my partner has his own principles and he might not take likely to what we are doing in here?”

 

“Erebus, before you leave.” Doctor Orion felt some reservation before asking but since Erebus did the same he wanted to know too, “What do you hope to gain from all this for yourself.”

 

“There is nothing to gain. That’s not the point. But it is fun watching humans when they absolutely try their best and fail, whether they live or die is part of the process, and merely being the shadow that puts the dice in the cup, before being played out. We are the true caretakers that change the outcome in this world.”

 

“I should have known. You are no different than those who want to use my research for their own gains. So, does your pitiful game extends to me too? I do not desire chaos.” Doctor Orion warns Erebus in a displeased tone.

 

“Don’t be mistaken human, I didn’t answer you to appease you but because I merrily felt like it. Do you even know what happens to those whose who try to defy the system?” Erebus looked down with an evil grin cast on the Doctor as he stood above him.

 

“…” The Doctor was left speechless as he could see a culmination of dark miasma radiating from Erebus’s being. For a moment he could see the darkness lying behind him following and plaguing everyone he touched and he remained no longer immune to his influence.

 

“Humans are the worst kind alive. Knowing that eventually everything will be lost and dead. So why do humans fear and lament in the way they do. Isn’t that the truth in a way? Or is it because reality is beyond one’s control just like a monster?” Erebus’s words resounded in Doctor Orion’s ears as he disappeared in a black mist in front of him.

 

“Just like a monster he says… that might not be much different.” The doctor crossed his legs one over the other and leaned back in his seat. It was time he prepared the next outlay of experiments to be conducted on the experiment that had until now shown much promise.

 

But from within he knew ....another monster lay in sleep inside of it.

 

The only time was left for her to awaken.           

 

***

 

BASEMENT LABORATORY

In a pod chamber, a body with a small frame body covered all in bandages is preserved in a green jaded solution. The only thing was that it had been too long and a change had finally appeared and showing its effect.

 

Despite the darkness, her eyes open to… they still sparkle with a golden yellow color.

 

A forced alarm message appears on every screen and a blaring announcement ensues.

 

“Imperial Ordinance System. Subject awakening. Initializing Status Evaluation. Result: Awakening Not Authorized. Subject Condition: Normal. Evolution: Normal. Soul Realm: Normal. Precaution. All Procedures Cleared. Transfer Subject To The Containment Area.”

 

As the announcement ends the pod starts moving to an underground space, several circular pit holes open and closes on their own.

 

What am I?

 

From her birth, the girl had always known herself to be here. And yet she had no name. No family.

 

Always remaining still and motionless in this small space.

 

I want to go.

 

The girl looks at the glass barrier holding her down. At first, it appeared impossible to break the five-layered magic reinforced magitite glass shield.

 

The girl was unaware of how to come out free or whether her own body could withhold the strength to break it.

 

But a single thrust of both her hands was enough to create that destructive force for the tank to crack and burst open into pieces as though it were a weak piece of wood.

 

At the same time, her body was pushed out of the tank and came into contact with the world which she should have been isolated from.

 

Broken glass ripped into her back. She was thrust into this small passageway and now into the real world.

 

Her body itched as she tried to open her mouth. It was not the penetrating glass hurting but... something did feel wrong.

 

"Ahh...!" She choked and breathed real air for the first time into her lungs. As for her back, the glass stained in red blood fell out and her back had already stopped bleeding.

 

Her limbs swung about weakly. Then, she remembers that she had only achieved her first desire.

 

What should I do next?

 

The girl stood up to walk looking forward in the darkness of the place she was trapped in.

 

Steam continuously releases from her flesh and the missing skin under the bandages seemed to gain color as well. Just like her eyes were trying to adjust to the change she had brought herself.

 

Blood ran from her feet as they were soft as a newborn baby’s and had only just touched the ground for the first time. Even tiny gravels easily sliced through her skin.

 

Placing a firm step on the ground, she again felt something uncomforting, as though something was pushing her down continuously. Gravity she realized. The knowledge of the existence of this natural force was already placed inside of her.

 

She had only learned to take her few steps when another blaring announcement tries to tear through her ear drums.

 

“Security Breach. Imperial Security Activating. Eliminate Threat.”

 

In the next moment, the girl could feel intense heat raging through the hallway she was trapped in.

 

Fire spewed out from everywhere. Magic circles appeared in the sky launching heated magical rays. Leaving holes in the wall. The death rays melted even the five feet thick walls.

 

The girl’s body moves on itself feeling and dodging every hostile magical attack launched at her. At some point, she successfully achieves to do so. Likely such maneuvering abilities were pre-installed into her conscious.

 

But it was only time when the number of rays would exceed the number of evasive spaces and would pierce through her body.

 

“Whaahaaaaa….” The girl screamed in pain and yet when the smoke from the melting skin cleared.

 

The girl stood fresh in skin and bone, with no harm brought to her body. Though there were holes in the bandages that covered her.

 

This was beyond ordinary healing. Or it was not healing at all.

 

Her body in the true sense had defied all-natural laws and reverted to its original form. A new power had awakened inside of her. One that nullified all causes that led to her death. Even if the pages of her fate and lifespan ended, her powers would create a new one for her.

 

She was a life without an end or start.

 

So, was she the ultimate vessel her creator, the Doctor had been aiming for?

 

I don’t want to stop.

 

Finding her answer before the next formation of rays would dispatch her and leave her immobile. The girl uses her herculean strength which by now she had learned to use punches to make a hole big enough to escape out of the wall.

 

Without thinking she leaps out of the darkness into another darkness again.

 

Jumping from the high place, she falls into a chasm that surrounded a fortress.

 

Crash.

 

Losing several of her body parts crushed or torn apart in the fall. The body remerges without any fault as if she had always been there intact. She had once again reversed all causes that should have killed her.

 

What do I want?

 

The girl had awakened just now to her logic so she shouldn’t have any desire. She was unaware of joy and despair alike.

 

But as the outside world starts to take color and shapes for her which she had never seen before...

 

They slowly starts becoming real. Her body. Her skin. All takes proper forms.

 

The above was dark dotted with infinite glowing lights. The front is green and the below brown.

 

A gentle blowing wind whisks away a bandage from her face.

 

Revealing fair skin, brown hair, and bright golden eyes. A calm expression but lacking knowledge and sense. Her figure would be described as fairly athletic.

 

She could have turned back and re-entered the pod.

 

But something was holding her back from becoming the true ultimate vessel the Doctor wanted to be. Perhaps a resolve, a will, or something alike.

 

She knew if she could just forget everything that happened and relieve herself of the uncertainty she could feel within herself.

 

And yet she was hurrying ever onward. Simply because…

 

I will go… just a little far away.

Unknowingly in that process… Somehow she had slowly started to grow into herself.

 

In the end, she was not the final product the Doctor desired, an unsuccessful creation not desired by the System, a monster.

 

In truth, she had now become an error of this world.

 

***

{Next Chapter - Click here }

Hello Readers,

Its the start of the month and I wanted to inform all of you that now you can read 5 chapters in advance on my Patreon page and support me there. Also, volume 6.5 chapters are being posted with arc almost complete.

Do check it out.

Patreon page Link - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Do think of supporting me there.

 

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

28