Chapter 24
48 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Mixen’s PoV-

They finally left this damn city. The landscape and the architecture were painfully boring. When nothing interesting was happening, I had no choice but to train.

Not like I’m complaining though, need to keep myself in shape after all… Or better yet become stronger.

There is no knowing when I might need to fight again. And my recent spar with Leon reminded me of how weak I am against Aura users… If not for my sword, I wouldn’t be able to even block their hits properly…

Anyway, the crew is doing fine.

It’s funny seeing Leon and Timothy trying to take precautions in case of “my” arrival. It’s obviously of no use… but I indeed can’t enter their tents unnoticed. 

There is no need for that anyway, so who cares.

Leon said that they are finally returning to their normal route… And then immediately said that they should skip a few points and go to the Elven Forest, as it is the closest… It’s not the closest, moreover, it’s quite far ahead. 

And I wasn’t the only one who knew it.

.

.

.

“Elven Forest? Isn’t it really far? Wouldn’t Kolum be closer?”

Agness said that with a bit of confusion in her voice.

She simply couldn’t believe that Leon could make such a silly mistake.

“It’s not that big of a difference.”

“...So why don’t we just go to Kolum, it’s closer. We can also quickly return to our regular route from there.”

“That… I just thought… It would be better to go there first…”

For the past few weeks, everyone was obeying Leon’s orders without any questions. They also started jokingly calling Leon “a Hero” because of Lance’s initiative. Due to this, Leon remembered the old times and forgot to make up an explanation for his seemingly nonsensical proposals.

Fortunately for him, someone was willing to back him up.

“It was actually me who asked him to do it.”

“...Naty? Why?”

“The Elven Forest is quite far from here, yes… But it is the closest point to the Capital.”

“So what?”

“...Although it was that long since we started our journey… I don’t know when we’ll get another opportunity to go there… And I miss my parents… I’m sure Lance does too.”

Naty gave Lance a sharp glance.

“...Obviously?”

“I wanted to make a little surprise to Lance, so I asked Leon not to tell it to you all. It was my mistake, I’m sorry.”

She made a slight bow.

‘...Why is the Saint so good at lying?’

“N-no it’s… understandable…”

Seeing Naty being apologetic for something so trivial was uncomfortable for Agness, so she chose to just forget about this matter.

Leon on the other hand sighed with relief. He voicelessly said something. Only by reading his lips could Naty decipher it.

‘Thank you.’

Two simple words…and a smile. So little as a reward. But it was plenty for her.

‘...Was his smile always… like this…?’

“Well… Now that this is settled. Let’s proceed with the meal, shall we?”

“Finally!”

The best part of the day for Lance began. 

Girls quickly made some food, it wasn’t anything special, just some roasted meat and soup.

Tera was the first girl to return to the table, so she chose to sit near Leon… But after feeling someone staring daggers at her, she decided to change her spot…

Melissa shortly took the vacant seat and Agness sat on Leon’s right.

The meal was going as always.

Lance was laughing with his mouth full.

Melissa was trying to feed her food to Leon.

And Agness was retelling a book she read, though she was quite a bit gloomier than usual.

…But then she got quiet.

“Leon… Say… If I asked you to change the whole route for me… would you do it?”

She was jealous. And her jealousy was so blunt that it was hard not to notice it…

However, Leon somehow did.

“You also miss your parents? Could’ve told me a bit sooner. But it’s okay, we can change the route a bit more. Ganesh isn’t that far from here… Thought getting to the capital would take much longer… Well, I’m sure Melissa would want it too.”

Agness was disappointed, to say the least.

“I don’t mind. Bu~t I’d rather not waste time.”

And Melissa was the same as usual… maybe even a bit happy.

…For some reason, the wind became quite a bit stronger.

“*Sigh* No… It’s okay… I don’t want to waste so much time.”

“...You sure?”

“*Sigh* Yeah.”

Agness wasn’t the only one who sighed twice at that moment. Though the meaning might be a bit different… You could say that the “wind” has calmed down.

.

.

.

To the Capital, huh?

Is it just Naty’s whim or is there more to it?

I’d love to return to Father and Lara for a few weeks in case nothing happens… but I can’t take the risk.

… Good thing that they won’t go to Ganesh. 

If they found the kids, it would be one heck of a problem.

And Father… I don’t think Father can go against Naty’s lie detection.

Even I need thorough preparations to fool it.

…There is no need for them to know…

.

.

.

The crew entered the Golden city, they were relaxed and not as tired as usual.

Melissa clapped her hands cheerily.

“Wow, we made it so quickly!”

“We were lucky that demons didn’t attack us at all… Maybe changing our route wasn’t that bad of an idea.”

‘...I may have had a bit too much fun with trying out new techniques…’

“...I want to take a bath.”

“There is a good hotel that provides it, I can show you… Oh, Leon, do I hide my sword?”

Leon pondered for a moment and shook his head.

“No, there’s no need.”

“Yes, Chief! Pfft. Follow me.”

Lance and Agness went deep into the crowd.

‘O~h? Would you look at that? A highly trained Stealth user… Ah, he’s one of those guys.’

Timothy calmly approached Leon and whispered.

“Someone is spying on us.”

“Let it be. Don’t approach.”

Timmy nodded and disappeared.

“Le~on, Naty will probably visit her mother, and while Lance and Agness are out… Should we stroll around for a bit? Oh! But how can I forget Tera! Will you come with us? Huh? T.E.R.A.?”

Melissa had a smile… however Tera got goosebumps all over her.

“N-No… I want to take a bath too… I’m going to catch up to Lance.”

And she ran off.

“...I do indeed want to visit my parents. So, excuse me.”

Just like that Melissa and Leon were left alone.

Melissa jumped to him and wrapped around his arm.

“Where are we go~ing?”

“...I actually have some things I nee-”

“Uh-uh, business can wait… I’ll choose for you. Let’s go!”

Leon was forcibly dragged around by Melissa…

‘...This is boring…’

.

.

.

*Knock-knock*

“Who’s there!?”

“Mom, it’s me.”

Quick footsteps were heard and the door swung open.

“Naty! Why are you here!?”

“...Happy to see you too.”

“R-Right, come in, let’s talk inside.”

Naty went in and told her mother the reason for her arrival.

“...So you changed your route?”

“Yes. One thing led to another and… now I’m here.”

“I see… Where’s Lance by the way?”

“He’s showing someone around the city. I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”

“...Is it a girl?”

“...Two, actually.”

“Ho~? Well, it’s always like that with Heroes.”

“... It’s not like that in our party.”

“Haha, yeah, sure… And how about you?”

“W-What do you mean?”

“How are you feeling?”

“Oh… It’s getting better. It was very hard to manage at first… Even if I’m not the one at the front lines… Demons are scary… But now I got a bit used to it… And we’re becoming stronger too.”

“I understand… But… is it truly alright? You seem… down.”

“It’s… I’m still worried…”

“...What are you worried about? I can lend you my ear.”

“You know… And it’s not what, but who.”

“Who? Wait? Is it Mixen? Did you not meet with him yet?”

“...As if you have…”

“I have.”

*Slam*

“What?! When?”

“A few months ago… But you really didn’t meet with him?”

“How is he!?”

“He’s okay. more than that… My god, did you know he could fly?”

“I did? That isn’t important right now! Do you know where he is right now?”

“How would I know? But he said he would meet with you… And I thought with his speed you would’ve met by this point… That rascal.”

“He said… that he’ll meet… me?”

“Yes. Information on Hero’s route is not that hard to find.”

“...but we changed our route…”

“Ah… Though I don’t think it would’ve mattered?”

“...Dammit…”

“Hey, don’t be like that… How about going to his Father back in Ganesh? He could be th- Ouch! What the!?”

“Mom?”

“Ah, ha-ha, I-it must’ve been a mosquito. Y-Yeah… So as I was saying, going to Ganesh might- Ouch!”

“...Are you okay?”

“Y-Yes, don’t mind it… I just wanted to say that I will definitely not forgive him for making you worry.”

“...*Sigh* I just… There is so much I want to know… But it’s good knowing that he’s okay.”

Naty gave a weak smile.

*Knock* *Knock*

“It must be Lance, I’ll open.”

“Mary! Are you home!?”

A familiar voice got to Naty’s ears.

“Is that?”

Without answering Naty ran to the door and opened it.

“Hmm? Did you get rejuvenated while I was gone? You look great!”

“Mixen…”

“Yeah?”

Looking at him, Naty had complicated feelings.

‘He looks the same… Even the hood is the same… Why do I feel so… Disappointed… I always thought that if we meet again… Our meeting would be special… And this… This is… not… This smell is making it even worse.’

“Why are you looking at me like that? Anyway, the birdy told me that Lance and Naty are coming here, did you see them?”

At this moment Mary came to the door.

“Huh? Two Maries!?”

The real Mary had a very angry expression, so Mixen knew it was time to drop the act.

“N-No way! N-Naty!?”

“...Long time no see.”

‘And his personality is the same too…’

Mixen moved to her.

“Wow, look at you! You’re so similar to Mary! And you’re all grown up! We’re almost the same height.”

For some reason, Mixen’s usual personality was a bit… annoying to Naty.

“Come in… We have a lot to talk about.”

“...Sure?”

They went to the kitchen to talk.

“Hello, mister Natan.”

“Hi, Mixen.”

“Natan, let’s give them some space, shall we?”

Without waiting for an answer Mary grabbed her husband and dragged him out of the room.

Mixen looked at Naty, whose face was hard to read at this moment

“...Should I make some tea?”

Strangely it was Mixen who asked that question.

“...Where have you been?”

“... I knew you wouldn’t let it go, but I also expected a slap to the face. Hehe.”

“That’s not an answer.”

“...Somewhere far away?”

*Slam*

“That’s not an answer either!”

“H-Hey now… No need for that.”

“...”

Her face was showing emotions now… but that wasn’t a good sign for Mixen.

“Naty… I’m sorry for leaving for so long…”

“...I want answers…”

“...Can’t you guess?”

“What do you mean?”

“Didn’t you interrogate me enough to at least guess?”

“That… I do have a guess, but-”

“Say it.”

“...Can’t you just say it?”

“...If your guess is right, I’ll confirm it… You know I can’t lie to you.”

‘But you somehow manage.’

“...Your Father was fighting those… enemies.”

“True.”

“And… he needed your help.”

“Yup.”

“But something went wrong…”

“Pin-point accuracy.”

“So it took you 2 years to deal with it?”

“Why would you even need me answering if you already know everything?”

“That’s… that’s not it… Who are those enemies? And isn’t your father strong? Then how could you help him? Did-”

“Whoa, whoa, too many questions at a time. Let me answer first… Indeed, I didn’t help much, I was more like… Moral support… Besides, I hardly ever fought… This helped.”

Mixen tapped his hood a few times.

‘But… Isn’t it… fake? Right… he has so many secrets…’

“You… didn’t fight?”

“Ye.”

‘...It wasn’t fighting… it was a slaughter.’

“Seeing you smile like that… It ended well, right?”

“Yeah! Father is awesome!”

“...But you didn’t answer all of my questions.”

“Repeat, please.”

“...Who. Are. They?”

“...It doesn’t matter.”

“It does!”

“...No, they’re not a threat to Father anymore.”

“Huh?”

“It’s dealt with. No need to worry.”

“But… still…”

‘...Even his way of avoiding giving a straight answer is the same…’

“Where’s Lance by the way? I missed that stupid fighting maniac.”

“...You know that Lance is the Hero, right?”

“So what? Lance will be Lance. And it was far less surprising than you becoming a Saint.”

Naty chuckled a bit…

‘Maybe… maybe it’s not that bad that you didn’t change… I will get my answers eventually.’

“He’ll soon be here… Leon too actually.”

“Oh! Leon’s on the team too! I forgot! Isn’t Melissa there too? Oh, it must’ve been fun! Tell me about it! Your side of the story!”

“...Will you tell me your journey then?”

“Hehe, there’s not much to tell, honestly. It was so~ boring. If not for Father, I would never make it to the end.”

“Hmpf! Then I’m not telling!”

“H-He~y, don’t be like that…”

Mixen and Naty had some back and forth conversation about basically nothing… until Lance came.

“Mom! I’m sure Naty already told you everything! So I’m coming in!”

Without a care in the world, Lance took his shoes off and went to the kitchen where he heard voices.

“Naty, where’s Mother?.. And who’s… Hahaha!”

Lance immediately lifted Mixen with a tight hug.

“Darling! You haven’t changed one bit! And you’re so short!”

“*Cough* Too… tight…”

“Oops, sorry.”

“*Gasp* My god you’re strong…It’s Mixen by the way… And I’m not short, you’re just giant!”

“Hahaha! I missed you, Mixen… How’s your progress?”

‘Of course, that’s the first thing he’s asking me.’

“... I see you haven’t changed much either…”

“Haha! Everyone changes over time. I’m sure you did too! Naty, may I snatch Mixen for some time?”

“...I won’t get anything from him anyway…”

‘...Not even hiding it?’

“Great! Let’s go!”

“...Where?”

“There is a field nearby… Let’s spar!”

‘Why am I not surprised?’

“...Sure.”

“I will go search for Leon… He’ll be happy to spar too.”

“...I’m no match for Leon…”

“Don’t be like that! He’s not that strong. It’s me who you should worry about! Hahaha!”

Like that Mixen was dragged onto the training field.

‘How much should I show him? He probably knows that I was Skilled a few years ago… ’

“Great! Let’s dance!”

Lance took a stance… before noticing something weird.

“Umm… Where’s your sword?”

“Ah, it’s in my ring.”

A sword appeared in his hand as he said it.

“Woah is it like my Space Pocket here?”

“I guess?”

“You’re lucky that you can carry your sword in it. Mine just won’t go in… Holy Sword is special they say.”

‘...Yeah… I have a similar problem… Though I somehow managed to shove mine forcefully.’

“Still can’t believe you became a Hero.”

“...Me too… There are people more worthy of this position.”

“Hey, don’t be like that! There won’t be anyone better than you!”

“...I know at least one… No more talking! Let’s dance!”

Lance was excited… A bit too excited.

Mixen saw the attack. He could easily dodge it or parry it… But he did not.

*Clang*

Lance was a Hero, so his physical strength may be one of the best of his age.

His blow was fierce and Mixen would feel the impact even if he wasn’t holding back.

Now, however, he wasn’t acting as Jack… just a weak Mixen…

*Thump*

He blocked it, be it clumsily and barely in time. 

The force behind the swing was enough to send a man flying, but Mixen just lost his balance and fell.

“Darling!”

Lance immediately stopped.

“*Cough* don’t call me that…”

“Are you okay!?”

“Yeah… Just lost my balance... You became strong, Lance.”

He had a smile, that calmed Lance down.

“...And you were slacking off, didn’t you?”

“Hehe, can’t argue with that.”

“No worries. We’ll bring you to our level in no time! Leon is very good at training people! Ah, you probably know it though”

“...What do you mean?”

“Hm? You know. We have a lot of time ahead of us! Most of the team already knows you, so it’s no problem! And the final decision is after me! Hahaha!”

“...Lance.”

“Why the long face?”

“...I’m not going to be a part of the team. It was never my intention.”

“...What? Why?”

“Do you really have to ask that question after what you’ve seen?”

“That… It’s really no big deal. We have a newbie that isn’t much stronger than you are… I think.”

Mixen couldn’t help but sigh and shake his head.

“We both know that isn’t the case… Lance, I still haven’t crossed the Master’s threshold.”

“Huh? But Leon said…”

“I’ve been stagnant. There is a limit to where you can get just by training.”

His voice was upbeat… but his words had a sharp undertone.

“That… Did you not… like… fight?”

“...I was busy.”

Lance took a moment to think a little. Then he came closer to Mixen.

“*Sigh* If we can’t talk my way… Let’s do it regularly.”

Lance sat next to Mixen.

‘Here we go again… Fortunately a Hero doesn't have a built-in lie detector.’ 

“I was meaning to ask you this anyway… Did you meet Gerda by any chance?”

“Huh? Isn’t it me who is supposed to ask that question? She said she’d go to the capital to meet you? I know she isn’t there now, but…”

“...She never came… Mom also told me that she was supposed to take a pupil here…”

“I see… So she never taught you the last move, huh?”

“The last move?”

“Yeah. It’s so cool and strong!”

“...I’m interested.”

“One moment.”

Mixen stood up, brushed the dust off and held his sword.

The movement he showed next was rather simple… yet beautiful to look at. Especially for a swordsman like Lance.

Lance felt like he saw this movement before… but a bit different.

And the most strange thing that he noticed…

“It’s pretty short… Though it’s still hard to master.”

“... Are you really still at a Skilled rank?”

What Lance saw was something that a Skilled Swordsman could never replicate.

“What? Of course, I am.”

‘Where did I make a mistake?’

“Woah, but it sure looked like a Grandmaster performed it… You mastered it didn’t you?”

“I did, but one move isn’t enough to rise my skill, you know?”

“Well… It might… But don’t you have your father’s swordsmanship?”

“It doesn’t really fit me, you see. Even Father said that I should abandon it.”

“...And Leon’s Style?”

“It’s too hard.”

“Yeah, it is.”

Lance knew the answer beforehand… He became disheartened for some reason.

“...How about we go back? Leon is probably there now.”

Lance did not answer and just nodded with a bitter expression on his face.

.

.

.

"Haha! Long time no see, Leon!"

'His smile is more annoying up close'

"It was indeed."

Leon held his hand out for a handshake. Reluctantly, Mixen took his hand, though he didn't show it.

"I see you didn't stop your training."

"Huh? Why do you think so?"

"Your hands are rough."

"Oh… Yeah… Though I'm not as strong as you are."

Mixen chuckled, however inside he wasn't feeling like chuckling at all.

'Saying it out loud is the worst.'

"I see… Have you chosen the path of a mage?"

"No, I'm still split. And I can't concentrate on being a mage all things considered." 

For a moment Mixen looked at Naty sitting at the table nearby. Seeing that her expression did not change, he sighed inwardly.

"Mixen! Come on in, don't stay at the doorstep! The tea is almost ready!"

It was Mary who screamed from the kitchen.

"Yeah-yeah… Thank you very much for inviting me in, miss Mary."

"Ha. Ha-ha… I'm going to leave you kids now. I'm sure you have a lot to catch up to!"

Mary yet again took Natan and left the room. 

Naty sighed and murmured at the top of her nose.

"As if he's gonna tell anything."

'I'll pretend I didn't hear it.'

"So… Mixen. Mind telling us what happened?"

"Here we go again. I'm pretty sure I said everything to Naty already, so let me make it brief."

"Everything."

Naty said that with a sarcastic undertone.

"*Cough* As I was saying… My Father needed to go far away for business, and he needed my help… Though I wasn't of much help, really. That's why we took so long… But it's all dealt with now."

In an instant, Naty's eyes opened wide.

"Dealt with you say?"

'...Sh*t. The King…'

"Yes?"

*Slam*

"You're lying!"

'Need to quickly think something up.'

"Hey, sister. It's rude to use that ability on your friends. Do you not trust us?"

"What? No, I do, it's just that…"

"Naty… Mixen must have his reasons for lying. No need to pressure him."

'...Maybe I was too hard on you Leon… Nah, I wasn't… Anyway'

"No, it's okay… Even though the problem can't be called fully resolved, our lives aren't in danger anymore."

"Huh? They were at some point?"

"Yes? But it's all good now."

"...What kind of a business trip threatens your life?"

*Tap*

Mixen placed his teacup on the table signifying that he finished it.

"...A hard one. So I heard that Agness and Melissa were also on the team, right? Where are they? Oh, you have new guys as well! Mind if I introduce myself? I know, I know. I'm using my connection to you guys to get to know them. But can you blame me? It's not like I'm using it to be a part of the team, so give me some slack. I wo-"

"Here he goes. It's okay they're just looking around the city… Naty, mind looking for them with Mixen? I and Lance need to visit the King."

"What?! No! I don't wan-... Oh, right, okay let's go quickly! Can't make the King wait!"

'That sure was a swift change'

On the way one Lance gave Naty one brief thumb up.

"Good luck!"

Finally understanding what Lance implied, Naty blushed.

"S-So, where are we going?"

Seeing her like this brought a real smile to Mixen's face… But it quickly disappeared.

'No matter how much I miss the good old days… Who knows what will happen if a Saint is seen with a random guy like me… Let's see… The girls are on a shopping spree… I'm not surprised.'

Mixen looked at Naty.

"How about we go shopping? I'll pay."

"...You're still stealing money from your father?"

"Haha, no, obviously."

'Not from him'

.

.

.

Three girls were looking through different dresses in a boutique.

"Welcome!"

Two new customers entered the shop. A regular-looking boy and a beautiful girl. Thought for some reason, the girl didn't seem too happy.

The receptionist was quite excited, as couples usually spend a lot of money.

Melissa curiously looked at them and recognised a familiar face.

"Naty! You also came shopping! I knew you had it in you!"

Agness and Terra put their dresses down and waved to Naty.

"Good thing we said where we were going! C'mon, let's pick you a dress! Your wardrobe is so bland, you know!

"Huh? You knew where they were going?"

A voice was heard behind Naty.

'How did I miss that?'

"I… umm…"

"Who's that?"

Even though Mixen's face didn't change much. It had been a long time since they saw one another.

Agness couldn't see the face of the man in question, so she took a step forward.

The moment she saw his face, uncontrollable fear struck her whole body.

There was no way she could forget.

But she quickly calmed herself. She was different from before. Countless life and death experiences made her stronger. And the face she remembers doesn't look that scary anymore.

She overcame her fear.

"Long time no see."

Agness was standing tall. She faced Mixen confidently. 

Mixen smiled at such a sight. His smile was slightly different from the usual one. But nobody noticed the difference.

"Hi~."

"Hm? Wait, you know him?! Why don't I know him?"

Melissa was frustrated and came closer to properly look at his face.

And then there appeared a spark in her eyes. Spark of violence… and Killing Intent.

This sight amused Mixed even more.

"Ah, Melissa, I'm hurt. How can you not recognise me? Aren't we friends? Oh, it's killing me."

The way he said it agitated Melissa. She even tried to cast a spell but dispersed it quickly.

"...I do now."

'4-circled, no less… What a spirit.'

"...So? Don't you have anything to say?"

"Hm? Hi?"

"...Do you know how worried we were?"

"Oh… Right, I'm sorry about that."

"Couldn't you have sent a letter at least?"

"Ugh… I did have such opportunity at one point, bu-"

"You did!? Then why didn't you send it!?"

Naty was outraged at such news. 

"I-It's hard to remember everything. I was on the go almost 24/7 after all!"

*Thump*

"Ow-ow-ow. What was that for!?"

Mixen started comically jumping around on one leg.

"...You deserved that."

"Ouch… I think you broke my pinky… Can you heal it?"

"Hmph, heal it yourself!"

"... Okay, though it will take some mana…"

Mixen's hands started giving off a dim light. He placed them on his hurt feet.

"Phew, much better."

When he looked around, everyone had a shocked expression.

"Isn't your affinity… Wind?"

Mixen tilted his head.

"...Melissa… you are a part of Hero's team… and don't know that one can use spells of another element?"

"I know that! But even I can't use Light!"

As a matter of fact, Light and Dark elements are the hardest to use even for the people with said affinity.

"You can't? Heh."

Mixen suddenly had a smug smile on his face.

Melissa seriously considered firing a spell at him, but Naty had something to say.

"Wasn't that… 2-circled spell?"

"What!?"

Melissa couldn't believe that someone like Mixen was better at something than her… though she wouldn't voice it out loud.

Melissa started quietly grinding her teeth, and Agness stepped forward.

"Mixen...Can you use every element?"

"...Can't you?"

"I can… but only up to a second circle"

Agness gave him a sharp glare. She was one of the few who knew of his true prowess. It wouldn't surprise her if he could do more.

"...I'm about the same."

Both of them glanced at Naty, she didn't have any reaction.

"Pretty impressive."

"I know right? That's the only thing I'm good at!"

'Apart from killing, that is.'

*Thump*

"Ouch! Again!? What for?!"

"You lied!"

"What!? Wait… Will you really hit me every time I lie!? I thought it was a joke?!"

"It wasn't!"

"But it was a figure of speech! Of course, I have other things I'm good at!.. It hurts…"

Naty looked at Mixen pretending to be in pain. She sighed and healed his injury.

"Thanks! Wow, it's so much better than when I did it myself!"

"...Obviously."

Terra knew she didn't fit in this company, so she went back to picking a dress.

"Oh my, where are my manners. Miss Terra excuse me."

Mixen came closer to her.

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry for not being mindful. I'm Mixen, just a regular human. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

Mixen's behaviour was too formal. It flustered Terra.

"I'm Terra… Also just a regular human."

"...How can you say that when you're a part of Hero's team?"

He frowned inwardly.

'Tsk. Naty did not react… Don't think I'll get off of you so easily. I'll avenge Gre-'

*Thump*

"Ouch! What was that for!? I didn't lie!"

"Hmph!"

The atmosphere inside the boutique was friendly. 

Melissa soon urged everyone to continue shopping. 

Mixen liked this regularity… Reminded him of his previous life.

'Did I ever go shopping like this with Mother?'

After they were done, Mixen forcibly paid for Naty's dress… and didn't forget to tip the receptionist, so that no stupid rumours would spread.

The act itself was smart, however, people of the capital know how the Saintess looks. Even with Mixen’s shallow presence, it is hard not to notice someone like him accompanying her. And there is nothing faster than rumours in this world.

.

.

.

-Naty’s PoV-

I liked our little date… But for some reason, it didn’t feel the same as before… What changed?

Soon after, we went back to my mother’s house… I feel bad for using it as a meeting room…

Leon and Lance were already there, Lance had an annoyed expression. It seems that the King gave us some work to do.

“Oh, I see you found them. Just in time, we have something to discuss.”

Leon doesn’t want to waste time.

“Ummm… Is it okay for me to be here?”

‘I won’t eavesdrop, I promise.’

“It’s not something confidential, it’s okay.”

“Yey.”

…He’s even more childish than Melissa…Though she knows how to act mature when needed.

“Okay, I’ll brew us some tea while we wait for Timothy.”

I will need to buy some tea for mother before we depart.

“No need, I’m here.”

“EEK!”

…What was that?

“HAHAHA, what kind of a scream was that!? Are you a girl? Ahaha. And how can you be scared? Didn’t you do that to us all the time?”

I got used to Timothy quickly because of that.

“But I never experienced it myself! Can you blame me?”

“Ha! Now you know how it felt!”

“I don’t regret it!”

“Are you good at Stealth Techniques?”

…Could that be it? Was Mixen just blessed with an extreme talent for Stealth from birth? But why hide it?

“That’s not it. I just had this from when I was little.”

His hood… It’s indeed the same… Just a bit cleaner.

“Is that… Invisibility cloak?”

“Yeah, you know of it?”

“I know a fair share about artefacts… But it’s not really useful on the battlefield. A true warrior will easily see through it.”

I knew it! So he used something else!

“Good thing I was far from where Father fought!”

Ah… so he was just hiding… like a coward…

“Oh! Leon! Do you then perhaps know of those?”

Hmm? From where did those boots appear?... The Ring! Right!

…How many artefacts has he got?

“Are those… Pegasus Boots?”

“You truly are wise. Unlike a certain Hero.”

“Hey! I’m right here!”

Even Mixen has noticed that Leon is more fit for that role.

“But don’t they require mana to use? As I know you don’t have much…”

Hmm? But what are they for?

“Nah, not that much. I just can’t use them all the time, you know?”

…Why is Agness looking at me like that?

“Makes sense… They are quite useful… May I know when and where you got them?”

“Hmm? Well, I had them for a while, Naty should remember. But the last question you should ask my Father.”

Wait, why should I remember? I don’t remember them, though?

“...And what are they used for?”

“...For flying, duh.”

What!? But, you said you can fly with magic! Well… They do use mana, so it’s kind of… Did I just misunderstand it? Probably… Mixen wouldn’t have enough mana to use flight magic… What circle is that spell anyway?

…But I don’t think he had them all those times… Let’s ask him…

“You had them on even back then?”

“Huh? What kind of question is that? Did you forget those days or something?”

“I… no, of course not.”

How can I forget the best days of my life… I miss them… But I don’t have time for this now.

“*Cough* Let us start the discussion already. We don’t have that much time… During our meeting with the King, he asked us for a favour. We need to show our progress to the people. So that the citizens of the capital will know of our strength… It’s to boost people’s morale… With Torum’s recent death and all…”

… Losing someone like that was a big hit for the Kingdom… Damn demons.

“Who’s Torum?”

Mixen…

“Why are you all looking at me like that? I was away for a while, don’t blame me for not knowing recent news!”

He’s been this country’s hero far before we were born…

“Anyway, we don’t have much time, as we should be there in 30 minutes… Mixen will you go with us?”

“Um, no, I don’t think I sh-”

“H-How did you say your name was!?”

“Oh, right, didn’t want to be rude, It’s Mixen, a pleasure to meet you!”

…a lie…

What’s up with Timothy? 

He looks pale.

“...It’s the same… Tell me your last name!”

Huh?

“I’m sorry?”

“You have a last name, right?! Tell me! Please!”

What’s… going on?

How does Timothy know of it?

“P-Please stop shaking me. I-I think you got the wrong person.”

“Nonono, it can’t be a coincidence! It can’t be, it can’t!”

“Timmy, stop. He’s not the person you’re looking for.”

Leon is dependable as always.

“No, but…”

“I don’t think we’ve met.”

Hm? A lie? Did he meet Timothy before?

Then is Mixen the right person? 

I don’t understand.

“...I won’t be at the showcase…”

And he’s gone…

Now I’m curious…

Timothy will be easier to ask than Mixen.

“I’m sorry about that…”

“Don’t be… Timothy can be like that sometimes.”

“...I see… Anyway, I have some things to do, so… I’ll come and watch later, bye for now!”

…I hope I won’t have to do anything.

“Let’s go.”

... I'll find out... just you wait.

.

.

.

-Mixen’s PoV-

…How did he know my name?

There’s no way that King’s lapdog can be acquainted with Father. So there is only one explanation left… He was told to find me and Father… 

Should I kill him?

No… It would ruin the story…

I’ll let it be for now, as he doesn’t seem to be sure that I’m the right Mixen…

He can’t know that I’m Jack, right? There are only six people who know that I’m Jack in this kingdom…Seven, I always forget about Natan. But he and Mary are bound by contract, so they won’t say it to anyone. AL and my disciples are out of the question... And Lara is a good girl, she listens to her brother.

Ha~

Let’s just go watch the show.

.

.

.

Countless people gathered around a makeshift stage. So many, that some even were standing inside the fountain, just to be present at such an event.

The King and his consultant knew something like this could happen, that’s why they did this event so abruptly. In hopes that fewer people would come.… It didn’t help.

Many tried to make a profit out of this. Setting up tents nearby to sell food, drinks or even souvenirs. 

On the stage, Lance, the Hero, was giving a speech. It was greatly put together. The words had meaning and perfectly represented the title of a Hero… If only Lance could say them with a straight face. Not only that, but he also constantly looked at the paper that Leon prepared for him in advance.

Lance wanted it to end already.

‘Ha! Look at his expression! I never saw Lance being shy!’

Though some laughed, others were really inspired by this speech. It increased the number of fans that the Hero had, and more started looking up to him.

“*Sigh* And that concludes my speech. Thank you all for listening.”

The crowd cheered while Lance went to his seat.

But what the speech was all about?

It was the speech that all speakers give. 

It was about nothing and about something at the same time. It was about life, struggles, determination… If you were to ask someone to recall what was the Hero talking about. They would recite only the part that they liked and were inspired by… That’s how people win the likeness of a crowd. Talk about things people might like… never mention the things they will hate.

Now, Leon was talking with an overseer of this event.

Without any entertainment, people started chattering, mostly about how great the hero is. It became noisy around the stage.

“...We need more time. The speech ended too quickly.“

“May I take the stage?”

“...Do whatever you like, just make them quiet down.”

Leon nodded and stood at the podium that Lance was standing at not so long ago.

Not all among the crowd noticed him, so it was still very loud there.

“Attention please!”

His voice sounded loud, almost deafening… and yet pleasant to listen to. Leon used Aura to amplify his voice. Not a move someone of his level can do… But it was impossible to tell from the side.

People stopped talking at once and looked at the stage. 

“Before the next part of the event, we will be answering your questions. Please raise your hand if you have any.”

Leon started calling people out and they asked questions. Most of them were stupid questions, others were too private to tell in public… until.

“You, please. The girl in black.”

A girl with black hair close to the scene was called out.

“Y-Yes… Recently, you took in a new team member… We all know she’s strong, but is the weakest in the party… Th-Though she has great potential! So… I wanted to ask… Is it possible for someone weak, a-as of now… to become a member of Hero’s party… O-Of course if they have lots and lots of hidden potential!”

The girl was shy. It is unknown if she was shy due to her talking in public… or because she was talking to Leon. 

But what was evident, is that she was talking about herself. Many want to travel with the Hero… Not all of them are strong.

“That… Can you tell me your name?”

“Huh!? I-It’s… Mira…”

“Mira, you asked a good question. Before answering it, let me tell you that power is not the only thing you need to have to be on the team. Your motives, determination, age, position in the formation and even how well you can get along with other members. It all comes into consideration. Terra knows best how many tests she had to go through before coming to the team.”

Leon looked at Terra and she gracefully nodded.

“And… What if a person fits all of that… but is weak?”

“Weak, but will become strong in the future, right?”

“Y-Yes!”

“Mira… I’m sure you will become a great and powerful person in the future. Many of those present today too! But that will happen in the future. And we don’t have much time left. Demons are becoming more violent with each passing day. Terra here will catch up to us in no time, and we will find the last few members that we need. I do not know the exact time… But soon! We will put an end to the threat that is looming over our lives!”

““Yeaahh!””

‘Pretty obvious who wrote Lance’s script.’

“So, Mira, I’m sure that answers your question.”

It does, but simultaneously it destroys her hopes and dreams.

“Y-yes… I guess I don’t have much choice…”

Her voice was too meek for anyone to hear. And her face acquired a deep frown and an empty stare.

“Ho-ho! So those are all the criteria?”

Suddenly someone jumped on the stage.

‘Huh? What is he doing here?’

2