Prologue
1.3k 6 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Please drink my blood," I looked into his eyes as I said my last will. The commander looked unperturbed. I understand what's on his mind right now. It was as if I asked him to kill himself with me.

Romeo was a patriot. He might choose to be killed rather than flee to the afterlife like a coward. It was different if the enemy tried to extract information from us—we had been trained to bite our tongues to die. But we had really lost. Any information was no longer valuable to them.

"Sir Julian, I'll wait until they stab me in the heart and cut off my head. Let my head be an ornament of their spears and driven into their castle fence. At least my family knows I'm not a coward," he refused my offer.

I'm choking, just talking was hard for me. They had mutilated my right arm, and part of my ear. My feet were arranged on top of each other, then nailed to the wooden floor using a rusty sharp iron instead of a chain. It hurt so much—I felt numb. My sense of pain was now gone.

But they hadn't cut my tongue. Those knights of Rasputin, want us to take death in a painful way. They left several organs in our bodies, which they would cut off once our wounds healed. I had given up for a few days, until Romeo D'Artagnan, one of our commanders, was put in a cell with me.

He will experience all the torments that whack physically and mentally. But I wanted to save him. Maybe I could do something heroic this time. I didn't want my family name to be tarnished for sending useless knights in this terrible war.

"You're not going to die, Romeo," I said weakly.

"Sir Julian, drinking your blood will only hurt me. How long have you been living as a vampire? I refuse to kill myself," he refused emphatically. He was still quite fit. But I knew his confidence would crumble once he tasted the cruelty of Rasputin's damned knights.

"My name is not Julian Dubois, sir," I confessed. This time he looked at me with slightly wide eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"We've been fighting together for five years. Even though I'm not very useful, you always help me. Now, allow me to repay my favor. Drink my blood. I'm a pureblood, and I'm a woman," this time Romeo gasped. I didn't think he was that surprised. I thought he had more or less figured it out. Because all this time I never wanted to take a bath or take off my clothes together with the other knights.

"Sir Julian, you—"

"Look, we are now being held captive in the dungeons of Duke Rasputin's castle, you can break free and look for him. You have to kill him, then the enemy troops will be significantly weakened. Drink my blood, it will give you strength," I said confidently. I didn't allow doubt to come out of my voice.

"Are you really a woman?"

"I will not frame you, Lord D'Artagnan . . I am a patriot, just like you. Let me end my life in an honorable way."

I also untie my hair, revealing a silvery mane that I rarely show off. I pulled off my vest, revealing the white tunic which was now stained with blood and dirt. I continued by unbuttoning the top of my shirt, letting Sir Romeo watch my pale neck. I then tilted my head, exposing the pulse that was still throbbing and pumping my blood.

I watched his eyes change, his pupils dilated and his breathing a little ragged. It was his hunting phase, where the demonic urge within him forced him to consume blood and quench his thirst. I know he hadn't had a drink in a long time, this war had lasted so long that we hadn't had a chance to find a donor.

We were not like the Rasputins who brought human slaves to the battlefield for their provisions. We know that this decision will only continue to weaken us. But, we are not like them.

"I'll do it," he asked my permission. I nodded and watched as he approached with difficulty as his legs were entangled in chains. But he caught hold of my crippled me and he opened his mouth—showing his impressive vampire fangs.

Romeo D'Artagnan, the war hero, now had his fangs buried in my neck. I could feel my blood being sucked in and starting to dry. Vampire, drink quickly. My skin turned pale. We vampires didn't produce much blood. That's why we always need another creature's blood supply.

Drinking the blood of other vampires was rare. Sometimes we do it for vampires who are on the verge of death. Similar to my current condition. But a vampire can only drink the blood of those of the opposite sex. Except animals. I'm weak, even though I'm a pureblood. It's because I had only been drinking rabbit or fox blood for these five years.

"Don't leave a drop," I moaned, looking into his eyes.

It's not painful, it's fun. I feel ecstasy, euphoria, comfort and intimacy. Isn't this the best way to die? I couldn't imagine the Rasputins knowing that I'm a girl. I dared not guess what they would do to my body.

After this, Romeo will survive. I am a pure blood vampire. My blood will give him significant power. Hopefully it's not too late.

I felt weak. It's hard even to move my tongue. Images of my past flashed through my mind. Why did I have to go to war? Why am I not like other women who were in their homes waiting for their husbands to come home? Why should I sacrifice my life just because father needs my brother as a successor?

Is it because I'm a girl?

But even I was not allowed to be a real woman. All these lies, torture me. Imprisoned me in depression. Makes me not want to try to be a good knight. I just hope the war is quickly over and I go home.

I don't think we could lose. The humans on our side. But I think I'm too innocent looking at this war. Betrayal was everywhere. And I, instead, had to end my disguise as a knight helping the enemy win.

I couldn't forgive myself.

If only I wasn't so oblivious. If only I didn't trust other people easily.

The Knights of Florence shouldn't have lost.

Could we go back in time? But I know it was impossible. I had wasted my life. Though I know I could do better than this.

"My name is Juliette Dubois, convey my apologies to my family. Kill Duke Rasputin, don't waste my blood," I said weakly before I slowly closed my eyes.

***

"Wake up! Time to hunt for breakfast!" Someone kicked my leg. I yawned, and blinked.

Wait! I instantly felt refreshed after realizing something important.

Shouldn't I be dead already?

"Julian! Make yourself useful! The wooden bowls are waiting to be filled!" I stared. Sir Charles should be dead. I myself pulled his body from the abyss with a silver stake stabbing his heart.

"Sir Charles? Are you still alive?!" I shouted gratefully.

"Weak brat! Of course I'm still alive! Now let's get up! Your comrades have already set out to hunt..we need a lot of blood because today we will change camps!" He said again before leaving my tent.

Outside the tent, the atmosphere was still the same. The vampire knights mingled with the humans. Unlike the vampires, the humans cooked their own rations. But we could only drink fresh blood. If there was no livestock, we had to hunt. And that was my duty as a novice knight.

That was more than four years ago.

Was my prayer answered? I actually transmigrated back in time four years ago?

I looked at my feet and hands, then felt my ears. All still intact. I cried, letting my tears fall on the ground.

"Weak!"

"Brat! You crybaby!" It was a mockery I used to hear back then, I didn't know I could miss it.

I do not care! they could make fun of me for anything, but I'm still alive!

I laughed to vent my emotions. Running around the barracks making sure everything was still the same. And I immediately knew what to do now. I opened the curtains of Sir Charles' tent without permission and smirked at him who was just about to change.

"Insolent brat! Could you at least say hello before opening my tent?"

"I've been a hunter for more than five months, now I want to join the Scout unit!" I shouted loud and sure.

"Huh? Weren't you the one who insisted that you never wanted to raise your rank?" Charles looked at me in surprise.

I smiled at him. In this life, I should at least reach the position of general. I will prevent the defeat of the knights of Florence.

30