Chapter 22 – The Dubois Mansion
280 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Juliet realized it wasn't just her—the Florence knight who was staring at Romeo as if he'd just said something taboo. Knights of Florence, fighting for the welfare of the Northern continent. They wanted to create a peaceful land where both humans and vampires could coexist without fear. Therefore for centuries, the Vampire Florence has adapted to a new lifestyle and hopes to one day be not too dependent on human blood.

Decreased human blood intake, had reduced Florence's vampire powers. It was inevitable. Some even say that if they were completely separated from human blood—they could become human. The idea didn't really appeal even to Florence. They still weren't willing to fully give up their power as vampires.

What was once considered a demon's curse—was now something called a gift. No vampire could truly escape human blood. Juliet was probably the only vampire she knew who had fasted on human blood for nearly four years. She had drastically lost her strength and running speed and was getting weaker. Her mind also becomes not clear enough and gets tired easily.

Juliet at that time tried not to be seen and belittled so that no one would force her to fight. She deliberately weakened herself, even though it might endanger her health. She used to be a coward, but she didn't find it embarrassing. Since she was a girl, she didn't feel the need to be heroic.

Juliet, who feels forced to undergo her military career, at the same time shows a protest to her father. She hoped to get sick and eventually be brought back to the Lapella mansion.

Unfortunately she later realized that was not going to happen. Because in war, no one would care about soldiers who were just lightly sick. Unless she was crippled and dying.

In her second life, Juliet no longer wanted to repeat it. She was willing to drink human blood again like the other Florence vampires. Once every two days was the normal limit of Florence. But this time Romeo asked his men to remove all animal blood from their diet and drink only human blood.

"At least for the knights—we have to purify our bodies. Caesar has a point. we can't naively hope that victory will always be on our side if we don't maximize our potential ourselves," Romeo argued when he noticed the doubtful gazes of the Jaguar team members.

"It's not easy getting a donor," Edgar shook his head.

"While drinking human blood everyday sounds good to me, there's a rule that—'' Edgar continued.

"The Florences have spoiled the humans too much, we only relied on the donors. We could have been a little more assertive; they expect us to protect them with a small contribution," Romeo argued.

"Sir, I hope you don't think that humans are cattle like Rasputin," reminded Juliet.

"No sir Julian. I just wish the Generals and nobles would consider more strictness. it's not enough just waiting for a blood donor, the vampire Florence needs more blood. We are not going to kill them, we can find the most fair and harmless way for all to benefit. But that's my long term wish. For now, it is clear that those of you who are under my orders must forget the taste of the blood of cows and wild boars. We will only drink human blood," Romeo said again.

“I agree with whatever Romeo says,” Damian, the knight with a charming scar on his jaw nodded.

The other knights nodded too. Edgar then began to unscrew the jar. There were several liters of female blood which was a little thick. The smell was not too fishy, ​​there was only a slight iron smell and it was still quite fresh. Blood must be drunk immediately because it is a type of liquid that easily blackens and could be damaged by exposure to air.

They took turns drinking it. Their fangs were elongated and their pupils were constricted. They looked thirsty and drank the contents of the jar voraciously. Juliet was tense. Soon was her turn. Will she be able to deceive the knights? She had yet to find a way to harvest human blood because her status was now male.

"I Volunteered as a harvester, sir," said Juliet.

Everyone's eyes were now looking at her.

"What do you mean?" Romeo asked.

"I am good enough to persuade humans to give their Bloods. I was a harvester in my previous assignment," Juliet explained. She hoped if she was the one who harvest the blood, she may would find male donor to feed herself.

Romeo didn't immediately answer. He looked thoughtful for a moment.

"Very well, starting tomorrow it's Julian who's in charge of harvesting human blood for us," Romeo agreed.

***

[Dubois Mansion, Lapella State]

The gem of the Northern continent, that was how outsiders judged Lapella. A glamorous state, a cultural center and one of the states with the best universities. Although politically Lapella sided with Florence. They didn't stop the vampires who supported Rasputin from hanging around there.

Duke Arthur Dubois was a reliable businessman and politician. He maximizes the gem mines in his territory by training craftsmen from humans and vampires. Lapella was a producer of jewelry and gold with high artistic value. It was no wonder that Duchess Veronica Dubois was a well-known high-class lifestyle trendsetter among vampires.

They tended to be less inclined to get involved in the vampire feud. Dubois also occasionally did business with the Rasputins, though not in military matters.

But even though Veronica Dubois and her husband were active in the activities of the Lapella elite—their sons and daughters were not like them.

Their daughter Juliet Dubois was known for her elegance and was recognized as the most beautiful girl in Lapella. But she was very picky in participating in the nobility event. Unlike her mother who was very socially active, Juliet only appears occasionally and throws her own party. Now rumors about her were also occasionally discussed about the disappearance of Dubois' daughter. The Duke said she continued her study at a university in another state.

Although not many people dare to openly discuss it. The issue of Jasper Dubois was also something that is often questioned. He never appeared at any aristocratic social events. He also did not attend formal school although the best teachers often stop by at their mansion. Duke Dubois said that his heir was sick.

When most nobles were reluctant to point out their family's weaknesses—Dubois spread the opposite information instead. He blatantly pointed out that his heir was a weak person.

Nor did he ever punish anyone who spoke ill of his son. As if it were true. But Arthur Dubois still did his job as ruler of Lapella so well that no one doubted the power of his family.

Their mansion was very spacious, with a dominant bright white paint color that occasionally looks dazzling in the daytime. The Duchess grows nearly half an acre of rose bushes in her yard, which makes their garden smell great every spring morning. They have many knights guarding the mansion with dozens of servants. Their life lacks nothing.

But in one of the spacious rooms away from the sun, the windows are always closed. The curtain was never parted. Every now and then the rancid smell of blood wafted from that room. The faithful servants never tire of cleaning it.

Like this time, a silver-haired and red-eyed youth was curled up on his bed hugging himself. His shoulders were shaking, he was very pale.

"Mother, I'm sorry . . . I didn't mean to do that," He whimpered. He had very pale skin. The back of his hand didn't look natural. The bluish veins spread evenly there like a bolt of lightning. His nails were black and elongated.

A poor girl was seen lying unconscious under his bed. She's dead. Her blood was drained.

The door opened, and Duchess Veronica stepped inside with huffed steps. The beautiful wavy light blonde woman never lost her charm. She didn't allow herself to look ugly. Veronica, like other vampires, had red pupils, about 170 cm tall and had charming curves. Her face was also perfect like the faces that were often painted by maestros.

She went to her son and gave him a loving caress.

"Jasper, you don't want to do this, it's okay,"

"Why did you bring that girl to my room, Mother? You know I can't hold my hunger!" Jasper felt hurt by his own actions.

"You have to eat, Jasper . . You don't have to worry, we have compensated the girl's family enough," Veronica asked him to get up and give him a hug.

"Now I kill almost every day Mother, I don't want to do this," he wailed in Veronica's arms.

"We understand, Jasper . . but this is inevitable. You were born special. Only by drinking blood straight from their necks so your thirst can be quenched. There won't be enough donors to meet your needs except this way," Veronica stroked Jasper's back with concern.

"I need Juliet..why did you have to send her to war? Don't you love her? Or did you do it on purpose so that she would never know that her weak brother is actually a monster? I still can't forgive you for sending my cheerful little sister like her to the military. Especially by hiding her identity!” Jasper complained. He pushed his mother away.

"Mother and father would do anything for you! Of course we love Juliet!" Veronica was feeling hurt.

"But you never gave me a clear reason for that. I want to find her, Mother, I have to take her home!" Jasper walked out of his room. He walked hurriedly to the downstairs room.

"Jasper!" His mother called.

"I'm sick of being forced to continue living in this big mansion Mother!" Jasper ignored his mother's call.

"Jasper! This house is your protector! We will carefully select your victims. No one is harmed by this..but if you hunt yourself outside— people might find out about you. Then Rasputin—" Veronica tried to explain.

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions, Mother," Jasper brushed her off.

"No Jasper! You're different! You're special! Rasputin wouldn't have ignored you if they knew—"

"Your Grace," someone called from downstairs. He was a man in a formal suit to show his important position. He bowed, lowering his high hat in greeting.

"Call Arthur," Veronica rearranged her expression and asked her butler to call her husband.

"Yes, Your Grace," said the butler, bowing and leaving.

"Uncle Theodore, what are you doing here?" Jasper asked. He was still possessed by his dark powers that a casual greeting felt threatening.

"Jasper, I'm glad to see you're healthy," Theodore, who had a few strands of white hair on his head smiled.

"What happened to Juliet?" Veronica's face stiffened. Theodore Dubois was the man they trust to keep an eye on their daughter in the military.

"Juliet? Do you know where Juliet is?" Jasper insisted.

Theodore shook his head in regret.

"I'm sorry, Veronica. But Juliet did something beyond my expectations… She is now on her way to the front lines of the battle at Taverin," Theodore bowed deeply as if preparing to receive the wrath of the ruling family.

12