Chapter 26 – The Call for War
297 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taverin was a very large state. Their population was not too many and the distance between houses was quite far. They had many oil mines which were used to heat the furnaces of the blacksmiths' workshops. Recently they also used petroleum as a fuel instead of wood for heating in winter.

Rasputin had many reliable scientists, brightest scholars and brilliant professors. They keep their technology secret and make Florence' Vampire have to try even harder to match their technology.

Rasputin now has terrible war machines such as a self-propelled iron fire-throwing chariot with steam fuel. As well as a catapult machine that could shoot dozens of arrows with a single shoot.

Florence excels in trained and compact human resources. They were supported by humans who did not hesitate to work together to make things difficult for Rasputin.

As evening approached, where the orange tinge in the sky was still faintly visible and almost setting—the trumpet signaling the call for war had sounded.

Florence's army had thirty thousand vampire soldiers as well as thirty thousand human troops. Meanwhile, Rasputin had an army of thirty thousand vampires who only drink blood, as well as thousands of chained shadows ready to be released to prey on humans.

In terms of strength, they were practically balanced. But the humans who live in Taverin—as well as the vampires who live there — mostly support Florence. So Rasputin found it a little difficult to regulate their steps. The state had weakened because of the series of uprisings that took place there.

The struggle for power had also been going on for months since Duke Winston died.

The war took place on a broad, sloping hill not far from the Winston family's main mansion. The horses neighed as if they sensed the aura of tension brewing there.

There were some rules of war that had been set by the vampires since centuries ago. When the first trumpet sounded, meaning the troops were on standby in their respective positions. When the second trumpet sounded, then they attacked each other.

"How do you feel?" Kyle asked, he was wearing light, easy to move leather armor. He was a ranged fighter, armor will only slow him down. Juliet stretched her neck muscles and held Apollon more firmly.

"That's enough for me, Kyle, my spirits are burning right now," Juliet said. She just drank Kyle's blood. She felt her body warm.

"Good for you, now, what are our plans?"

The jaguar troop asked some archers to come with them. Because currently all members of the Jaguar squad were melee fighters. They were a tactical force focused on fighting strong foes. Juliet was paired with Kyle and they were tasked with damaging Rasputin's heavy weapons. That was the easiest task among the Jaguar team. Romeo targets a General while the others work together to incapacitate their commanders.

The Jaguars had been eyeing Rasputin's strongest men for so long that it wasn't too difficult to recognize their faces in battle.

"See the vampires operating the flamethrower?"

"Yeah," Kyle nodded.

"Have you killed a vampire or a human before?"

"Not yet,"

"Then this will probably be your first time, Kyle. Can you do it?"

"Killing a vampire who sucks our blood at will? With pleasure," Kyle laughed.

They hid behind a large rock. It was a wide, slightly gentle hill so not much hiding place was available. They must disable their war machines without being seen.

"You see that black metallic rock between the wheels of the machines, Kyle?" Juliet pointed.

"I see it,"

"I want you to damage it with your arrow, if the lever is broken, they won't be able to operate it," explained Juliet.

"Huh? How did you find out?"

"I'm a clairvoyant, I just know," Juliet responded.

Long ago in her past life—after the Taverin war ended—the soldiers brought a lot of loot to the base. The machine was one of them. Juliet helped the commanders to research the object. It was a fairly new machine. Rasputin always updated their heavy weapons so that Florence could not find out their weaknesses.

Juliet had seen those machines and she knew how to break them. It only took a precise aim to break the lever to render the machine completely unusable. Damaging the machine was better than killing the operator. Because of their large number, they could change users at any time. Unlike the machines that were made limited.

"You focus on aiming, I'll protect you, Kyle!" Juliet drew her sword, she fought Rasputin's knights who were trying to kill her. Adrenaline coursed through her body, mixing with Kyle's blood she'd just gulped. Juliet felt stronger. Apollon also blends more comfortably in her hands.

Juliet slashed Apollon straight at their vital points. To their necks, to their heads, to their hands, to their stomachs. She was so fast that the enemy couldn't catch her movement. Rasputin's vampire bodies fell to the ground without being able to fight back. She let Apollon's aura overwhelm her. The cursed weapon roared for more satisfaction. He wanted to drink more blood. Juliet complied.

Slash! Slash! Slash!

This was a kill or be killed situation. There was no time for Juliet to be doubtful or compassionate. Her heart pounded as she took the lives of every one of her opponents. She was lucky because she only faced ordinary vampires, not purebloods.

There were several levels of vampire power.

First, the strongest Vampires were pure-blooded vampires who only drank human blood straight from their skin.

Second, were pure blood vampires who only drink human blood by donors.

Third, were pure-blooded vampires who drink the blood of animals and humans.

Fourth, were non-pure-blood vampires who only drank human blood.

Fifth were non-pure blood vampires who drank the blood of animals and humans.

Pureblood vampires were descendants of the early generation vampire knights who received a direct curse from the devil.

While non-pureblood vampires were descendants of vampires created from the bite of a fellow vampire, mixed blood, Or those humans who became vampires because of the bites.

Kyle found the right position. He immediately took his arrow and flexed his bowstring.

Swoosh!

Krakkk!!

His aim hit the lever of the flamethrower. Before the rasputins knew it, Kyle immediately ran and aimed for more than five other machines. Nothing misses. All of these machines in a moment could no longer move and be used.

"There are archers!!" exclaimed Rasputin. Kyle stepped away with slightly trembling legs. His job was done. When he came back he saw Juliet standing with a bloodied sword in her hand. Her eyes narrowed, her breathing became ragged.

"Julian!" Kyle called.

"Did you hear me?" Kyle touched her face. Juliet jerked awake from her daydream. She stared at Kyle with an air of hostility for a moment before finally softening to realize he was her comrade.

"Ah Kyle! That's dangerous! I could have unknowingly slashed at you!" Juliet trembled. She dropped Apollon to the ground. After she kills and when she no longer feels a threat. She would realize how terrible what she did was.

She had to remember that she was a knight. She had to understand that it was a kill or be killed situation. But still, Juliet, who once only dreamed of being a beautiful and perfect wife like her mother— was now at the forefront of the battlefield and took the lives of Rasputin. Juliet was crying.

"Oh come on Julian! This is no time to cry! The Rasputins will be looking for me! I've ruined their expensive weapons!" Kyle grabbed Juliet's hand in a hurry. The girl was still sobbing and wiping her tears. She still remembered to take Apollon back.

He asked Juliet to hide behind a boulder.

"Listen! Remember your goal, Julian! We have to win right? Now, what are we going to do?” Kyle urged Julian to brace himself.

Juliet immediately shook her head. Two Rasputins immediately dashed towards them and swung their swords. Juliet's trained instincts told her and she cut off the ear of one of them and thrust Apollon deep into the stomach of the other knight.

The knight with deformed ears was about to stab his sword at Kyle but the archer fired his silver arrow right through his left eyeball. He wobbled and staggered for a moment before falling to the ground with blood pouring from his eye sockets.

"Kill or be killed, this is not the time to be an empathetic Julian. Remember they are bad vampires!" Kyle was shaking too. It was the closest shot he had ever taken. It was also the first vampire to die at his hands.

"Follow me Kyle!" Juliet had regained her sanity and determination. She couldn't go back anymore. So what if she kills during the war? It's all for peace. She had to remember that Rasputin's vampires killed thousands of humans every day. She killed to stop their cruelty.

"Where to?"

"We're going to behead a general!" Said her seriously.

"Are you crazy?!" Kyle shouted in horror.

Of course, once again Juliet would make use of her knowledge in her past life.

11