Arc X Chapter 20
2.2k 23 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

X


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc X Chapter 20


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Asami scrutinised the man from tip to toe, even studying his face. “My sincerest apologies, but it wasn't on mine own volition that I arrived here to stand before you. It was the magatama that hath called me.”

 

“... I see, I gather that it must be the magatama then that hath summoned thee.” The sage fell silent, carefully pondering his next words. “It hath been a long time since I was last approached by so many of my children. Following the fall of the empire and with the regalia lost, contact hath been diminishing each generation. Though, I must confess that thine appearance surpriseth me. Thou art female, my child. Across all of the centuries, I cannot remember to have been visited by a female, a girl no less, before.”

 

Asami grinned in response. “I do not intend to fathom the reasons for such, But an observation, it appears your selection process appears to expose error beyond mere statistical margin.”

  

The sage didn't share her amusement, for obvious reasons. Her sarcasm wasn't lost on him, yet he decided to ignore her comment out of disinterest or for the sake of politeness. His lavender eyes, his rinnegan, studied her, piercing her very soul. Nothing escaped his omniscient eyes, and even the most hidden truth was laid bare. “And yet thou standest before me, child of Indra. The magatama, one of three sacred regalia, hath judged thee worthy to enter the inner sanctum, a judgement I do not intend to oppose, although I cannot hide my curiosity. Thou appear not to descend from either main line of my children. Thy soul beareth neither a fragment of Indra, nor of Ashura. Thou hailest from a mere branch family, and even then the blood of Indra is weak in thee to the point of fading. And yet there lieth an incomparable strength in thine eyes, a strength I have not seen for ages. Thine eyes, thy sharingan, wield a power far too strong for thy line … Thy very soul, my child, burneth with a frightening intensity. Dense, heavy, transcendent. Thy soul is peculiar, different from those who came before you, different from my children. It remindeth me of my mother’s and those of my son's. Thine is a soul closer to the realm of the divine than to the world of the mortals, but still bound by mortal flesh.”

 

Asami offered a slight bow in return as a sign of gratitude. “Your words are flattering me, Sage. To compare my humble soul with the one of Princess Kaguya.”

 

The sage remained unmoved. “I would not call such a comparison flattering, considering my mother's many vices and failings. Whether your resemblance goeth beyond mere superficial details remaineth to be seen.”

 

“I understand. In that case, I hope I fall short of your expectations.” Asami mustered a giggle. “But let us put aside with time. We both know as to why I stand before you. I am here to claim the mastery of what is rightfully mine.”

 

Hagoromo lowered his gaze, musing. “Thine enthusiasm is noted, my child. However, it falleth to me to judge what is thine and what not. Thou layest claim to the magatama, but first thou needest to pass my judgement. I will test thy wisdom and thy heart.”

 

Asami raised an eyebrow. “With all due respect, the matters of heart and wisdom seem like a rather philosophical exercise in nature, a rather subjective one if I might add. We hardly know ourselves, so how are we supposed to pass judgement on those around us?”

 

“...” The sage closed his eyes. “It seemeth that thou hast come prepared, child of Indra, far more prepared than many of thy predecessors, despite your age.”

 

“Age is a deceiving matter, Sage. Too easily, we are misguided by mere appearances. ”, Asami elaborated. “Of course, I came prepared. It would be foolish to claim without resolve, without consideration. I am not as thoughtless as to walk a path not contemplated.”

 

“True.” Hagoromo nodded in agreement. “So speak, Asami, child of Indra, what reason dost thou have to lay claim to the magatama?”

 

His question elicited a chuckle from Asami. “What a curious question, are ye trying to test my character?”

 

“...” The sage chose not to respond.

 

Asami mustered a smile. “I will take that a yes. Ye want to know who I am, don't ye?”

 

“...” No response.

 

“I suppose I could answer your question, but the better question is, why shouldn't I? Why shouldn't I claim what is mine? Why shouldn't I possess what is destined to me? I am Asami, last of the Uchiha, and the legitimate heiress to the imperial throne. It is my intention, my destiny, my birthright to rule. As such, it is only logical to call the regalia my own.”

 

“It seemeth so”, Hagoromo conceded. “Though, how canst thou to be so certain of thy destiny, child? How canst thou be so certain that it is thou who hast been chosen?”

 

A subdued giggle answered his question. “I must confess, I find your question highly amusing. Answer me, how can ye be so sure of the contrary? How can I not be chosen, Hagoromo? Ye know my heritage better than anyone else. Ye know of the strength I possess. Ye know of the power I wield. Who shallest oppose me to deny me? And even then, concerns of legitimacy aside, do we need to be chosen to realise our calling? What is destiny, Hagoromo? What is fate? We both know, unless ye have fallen prey to deterministic tendencies, that destiny and fate are nothing but an amalgamation of our own actions and choices. Fate is a force in human hands. In the end, it mattereth  little to me whether I am chosen, or not, whether ye regard me as such, or not, whether the world recognise me, or not. All such is irrelevant. I am my only true master. I will impose my will on reality. The throne, the magatama, the other regalia, I will make them mine, regardless of opposition. It is what I have decided. It is where my path will lead me.”

 

“...” Hagaromo shook his head. “Akin to thy forebears, thou, child, strivest for higher power. Thou shouldest know that it is a dark path that thou decidest to walk.”

 

 “A dark path?” Asami smirked. “How so, if I might ask? Is it morally wrong to aspire for power? To hope, to master, to dream, to control, to love, to subdue, to live? I would argue, the will to power is the very essence of our selfs. It is a trait, for better or for worse, deeply ingrained in us.”

 

Hagoromo pondered his words. “And yet it is a force best used sparsely and best kept from mortals hands. Power corrupts even the most noble hearted of people.”

 

Asami was hardly able to suppress her amusement. “Wouldn't you say that such is a rather ironic statement on your part?”

 

“...” His gaze intensified. “How so, child?”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

 
 

 

 

79