Arc XI Chapter 1
3.4k 15 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XI


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc XI Chapter 1


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Field Manual

Revised Version

Amegakure Military Academy

Intended for educational use

 

Preface

 

In the wake of our recent military reforms with the clear and unmistakable intent to strengthen the means of national defence and strength, we invite the reader to explore the end of such policies, and by extension, the very nature of war. There should be little doubt left even among the common man that the military is, ultimately and by inherent necessity, an institution created for a sole purpose, war! Regardless of whether consisting of ninja, samurai, soldiers, or other combatants, the military is an institution dedicated to war, yet what is war?

 

Answers might diverge depending on various interpretations, but war remains, in its essence, an act of military force, armed with ever more potent weaponry to subject our enemy to our will. We strive to subject our enemy to our will through the use of force. It is the compulsory submission of the enemy to our will that is and must be the ultimate object of our forces, the ultimate object of all our efforts. In order to achieve such domination of will, we must deprive the enemy of any means of further resistance. It must be our prime goal to degrade the enemy forces to the point of rendering them ineffectual.

 

Our actions will place the enemy in a position more disadvantageous to them than the concessions that we demand in return, yet the disadvantageous nature of their position must be naturally not transitory in nature, otherwise the enemy will refuse to yield, and instead continue fighting in the hope of a change of fortunes. Any continuation of the war must thus become unbearable to a degree necessary to allow us to enforce our will, enabling us to realise our ultimate objectives.

 

The more limited our objectives, the more limited the price we ask for, the smaller the resistance the enemy will employ, the less force will be required to make the enemy comply. Conversely, the less significant our objectives, the less value shall we place upon them, and the more easily we will be induced to give ours up altogether. Our objectives must thus determine both the aim and scope of our military efforts.

 

As such, war is, despite its unrestrained and intrinsically violent nature, is never an isolated act, nor, contrary to common perception, an irrational affair. Waged by chieftains and nobles, waged by kings and conquerors, founded on reasons of personal ambition in the ages of old, the wars of this day and age, the wars of whole nations and states, are born in contrast from political motives, forming a collective effort of will. The wars of our age transcend the boundaries of the individual, instead entering firmly the realm of policy, not as merely a political act, but as a real political instrument. We can say, therefore, that war is a mere continuation of policy by other means, a continuation of our dreams, our hopes, our aspirations, our livelihood. Such is the reason that such importance must be placed upon the study of the arts of war and their continuous evolution. Such is the lesson that you, the reader, the keen student, the aspiring officer, the very future of our strength, should never forget. It is upon your shoulders that duty falls.

 

Combat and Leadership

 

  1. The conduct of war is an art based upon the free, creative will, scientifically. The conduct of war is based on continuous evolution.

 

  1. New means of warfare call forth ever progressing evolution. Such means must be anticipated, their influence correctly predicted, their utility grasped.

 

  1. War is the manifestation of chaos, the realm of uncertainty and doubt. The independent will of the enemy is pitted against ours in an ultimate struggle.

 

  1. The conduct of war cannot be captured by regulations and theoretical principles. Instead, their practical application must be stressed and the importance of individual intellect.

 

  1. War is the severest test of mental and physical strength. In war, character outweighs intelligence.

 

  1. The realities of war demand leaders of good judgement, independent thinking, and foresight, leaders with resolution, leaders with perseverance and energy, leaders not emotionally moved by the varying fortunes of war, leaders with a high sense of responsibility.

 

  1. The officer must be a leader and a teacher to their men. They must distinguish themselves through their superior knowledge, their experience, their heightened sense of duty, their courage.

 

  1. The example and personal conduct of the officer is of critical importance. Cold blooded and unyielding in the face of the enemy, the officer must inspire their troops. The officer must enter the hearts of his men and gain their unconditional trust through understanding and never ceasing care. Mutual trust is the strongest foundation of discipline in danger and in need.

 

  1. Assuming responsibility to act is the distinguishing characteristic of leadership. This does not mean though that one should act in an arbitrary manner without proper consideration of the whole, or that one should not obey an order based upon personal feelings. Independent action should never be based upon contrariness. Properly used, independent action meanwhile is the basis of great success.

 

  1. The strength of man is the decisive factor on the battlefield. The emptiness of the battlefield demands independent thought and action. They allow one to master even the most difficult situation.

 

  1. Superior leadership and combat strength outweigh even numerical inferiority. Superior leadership and unshakeable discipline are reliable bringers of victory.

 

  1. The officers must live with their men, sharing their dangers, their needs, their pain, their joys, their sorrow. The officer is not responsible for themselves alone, but also for all those around them, for their comrades in arms. It falls upon the officer to lead and instruct those inexperienced and weak. Only through such conduct can a feeling of real camaraderie develop.

 

  1. Troops only rashly thrown together by necessity, and not bonded together through training and experience, will fail easily under severe conditions and in times of crisis. Discipline is thus of critical importance to the operational state of the troops. Every officer is expected to intervene immediately with all means at their disposal to maintain discipline and remove any damaging influences.

 

  1. The strength of the troops, the strength of the men, must be able to meet the highest demands in the most decisive moments. The officer who unnecessarily fatigues their men jeopardises any prospect of success. The strength employed in battle must correspond to the intended objectives. Unrealisable demands on men and material will only serve to undermine trust in the leadership and erode the morale of the troops. The experienced officer must thus act with care.

 

  1. From the youngest soldier to the longest serving veteran, the full mobilisation of all mental and physical strength is demanded. Only through such conduct the men will retain their courage and the ability to act in the hours of need to carry forwards with them to greater deeds their lesser willing comrades in arms, to lead by example. The first demand in war is decisive action. Everyone must be aware that inertia and inactivity are the most harmful mistakes to commit.

━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


If you liked this chapter, check out my other novel and give it a try!

Schwarz -‖- Der Wille zur Macht

Arc I Prologue

Villainess, noble girl, princess.

Reincarnation is a fickle matter, unpredictable and capricious, uncaring and unforgiving in nature. Stranded in unknown lands, in a different time and age by the mysterious forces of magic, Aurora is reborn as the sole heiress of the ancient noble House von Schwarz, destined to enter the game of kings and queens, armed with pride, deceit, and an adorable doll.

 

64