Arc IX Chapter 10
3.7k 38 121
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IX


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc IX Chapter 10


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


An eventful day had passed, and Yuji was neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with the outcome of their little adventure.

 

Yuji remained conflicted. His stance regarding their unexpected saviour was ambivalent at best.

 

On the one hand, the girl used them as stepping stones to advance her agenda. On the other hand, she solved their debt issue and got rid of Tsuyoshi and his men for good. The girl kept her promise, despite her unconventional methods and all her deviations.

 

The girl wasn't entirely honest, but who was these days. The world was a dark place and honesty died a slow death.

 

Yuji grumbled. The little princess honoured her word against all expectations. She deserved their gratitude, much to his dislike.

 

Tsuyoshi wouldn't bother them anymore. The man wasn't stupid. He wouldn't dare to defy her. Not after her little performance.

 

Yuji remembered. Her dark sinister aura, the frigid cold surrounding her. Her existence frightened him. Her presence rendered them minuscule, meaningless.

 

The girl said Pain, their all-mighty gracious god, sent her.

 

Maybe her words were true. Maybe she was indeed a messenger of their god, another angel sent to punish the unbelievers for their sins.

 

Rumours circulated about the Angel at his side. The woman enacted his will and interacted with the mortals in his name, gracing them with her presence.

 

The girl might be another instruments of his divine will, but he doubted so. The girl was different. She didn't seem like an angel, nor did she pretend to be one.  

 

Her personality was rather human. Not virtue, but ambition guided her path. It didn't feel out of place.

 

The way she spoke, the way she acted, fitted her nature. Her bearing was quite earthly, that of a ruler, that of a queen.

 

There was little divine about her, but Pain wasn't exactly the most benevolent ruler either. Contrary to his lofty words and benign intentions, their proclaimed god ruled with an iron fist and little love. He didn't set the highest moral standard.

 

The elders remembered his bloody deeds. Much innocent blood was spilled that day. He murdered Hanzo, his friends, his allies. Pains spared nobody in his frenzy. Driven by bloodlust, neither women, nor children, escaped his blind rage. They all had to die, Amegakure remembered. The village never forgot the days when the rivers once again turned red.  

 

Discontent was never voiced, criticism only spoken behind closed doors. Pain's men roamed the streets and silenced dissident voices.

 

Faithful believers, crazed cultists and misguided zealots, thugs and thieves, they were all and none.

 

The men believed in his divinity after witnessing his radiant glory. Not everyone shared their newly-found religious piety. The pragmatic majority remained sceptical. A living god today, a dead god tomorrow.

 

So far, their ever so distant god and saviour had shown little presence and life. Life went on, and the rain continued falling. Times might change, gods might come and go, but Amegakure's future stayed the same.

 

Yuji stared at the ring bearing her crest. The silver ring felt heavy in his hand, much heavier than its weight suggested.

 

Amegakure would judge her the same way the village had judged Pain.

 

“Mayumi what are you doing?“ Yuji turned around, slightly annoyed. His sister straggled behind. “You are falling behind. Hurry up, we need to return home. The streets are dangerous at night.“

 

Not that much awaited them at home aside from misery and the grim reality. The slums were full of orphans and the impoverished, but home was home, even if it was just a wooden shed.

 

Mayumi caught despite her clumsy legs. “Sowwy, nii-san, I was busy thinking.“

 

“About what?“ Yuji sounded annoyed because he was annoyed.

 

Mayumi pouted. “About her obviously! Wasn't she wonderful?“

 

...

...

 

“What?“ Yuji didn't understand. Whom was she talking about?“

 

“Sadly, she never gave us her name. I will never know the name of such a splendid villainess.“ Mayumi lowered her head, suffering from a mild depression.

 

She might never meet her idol again, never to be graced with her exquisite sight  again. She was the very paragon of splendid villainessness from her beloved novels.

 

...

...

 

Yuji blinked. He was left speechless. He didn't know what to say. His cute little sister had gone insane. “Why?“

 

Mayumi clenched her fists to prove her determination. Her eyes sparkled with undiluted admiration and unshakable faith. His sister believed in the girl, much to his confusion.

 

“Didn't you see her, nii-san? Her elegance, her eloquence, her beauty, her incomparable radiance. “

 

Her eulogy didn't end. “Her lovely almond shaped face. Her colourful lips. Her icy glare. Her adorable bangs. Her cute, menacing eyes.

 

A shining example of composure, indomitable will, and unwavering confidence.

 

I will join the academy! I will become powerful! I will become a splendid villainess just like her! Ohohoho!“

 

...

...

...

 

Her behaviour ... was ... unexpected.

 

Yuji shook his head. His poor little sister had officially lost it. “....“

 

Mayumi pouted, offended by his lack of faith. “You don't believe me, do you?“

 

He laughed. “Silly sister, stop dreaming. You neither will become a splendid ... villainess, nor will you join the academy.“

 

“Why?“ Mayumi crossed her arms.

 

Yuji, ever the pessimist, scoffed. He knew how things worked. “Look, joining the academy is a pipe dream. Without connections, you are nothing in this village. You are not from a prestigious family, you have no talent, you have no wealth. They have no reason to accept you.  

 

And even then, the academy is in shambles right now, a shadow of its former self. Forget your dreams, Mayumi ...“

 

“Mayumi?“

 

Mayumi broke out in tears. “Nii-san, you are such a meanie.“ His sister started hitting him. Her little fists hurt surprisingly.

 

“Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Stop hitting me.“

 

“No!“ Mayumi intensified her assault.

 

“I understand, I understand, I will try to sign you up for the academy. Are you happy now?“

 

Mayumi tears subsided. Her eyes sparkled again with new splendour. “Really?“

 

“Yes.“ Not that they would accept her to begin with. An orphan of unknown origin without a single ryo in her pockets and any knowledge about the ninja arts at the academy? Absurd.

 

He didn't need to worry, but Mayumi was happy for now. That was important. And she stopped hitting him.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

121