Arc I Chapter 5
13.2k 30 310
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc I Chapter 5


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Asami was residing under a gazebo in her garden, holding a tea ceremony with her doll. Clad in her best kimono, her hands poured some hot water into a small cup that she had prepared beforehand. Her hands carefully lifted the cup of green tea, offered it to her doll.

 

Her doll graciously accepted her cup and Asami pretended that her doll was sipping on it, complimenting her on her tea making skills. Of course, she didn't. Her cup of tea remained untouched in front of her doll, the steaming water evaporating into the air. Dolls didn't live. Dolls didn't talk. Unfortunately ...

 

The sound of a sliding door interrupted Asami and her ceremony ... Her head turned around, only to spot Okaa-san. It was her mother standing there, holding an envelope in her hands. “Asami-chan, can you come please inside for a moment? There’s something we need to talk about. The village sent a letter.”

 

Asami frowned, reluctant to interrupt her tea ceremony. “Is it important, Okaa-san?”

 

Her mother nodded. “It is.” Okaa-san looked serious.

 

“I understand.” Asami turned to her doll. “Wait here for me. I will be soon back.” 

 

“...” Her doll didn't move. Good girl.

 

Asami entered the house. “What is the matter, Okaa-san?”

 

Her mother hesitated. “The village sent a letter. They inform us that you will undergo your medical examination next week ...”

 

Asami furrowed an eyebrow. “My medical examination?” Why did the village want her to undergo a medical examination?

 

Okaa-san beamed, trying to dispel her worries. “Yes, your medical examination, but don't worry, it is a standard procedure. All children in the village between the age of eight and fourteen are expected to undergo a mandatory yearly examination.”

 

“...” Asami remained sceptical. That didn't sound suspicious, at all ... “And for what purpose?”

 

“Well, the examination serves to determine your level of fitness. Those who pass the examination and fulfil the criteria, are then invited to participate in the academy entry exam and join the ninja academy.”

 

“Invited?” Asami had a strong hunch where this was going ... The word ‘invited’ carried an ominous undertone.

 

Okaa-san clearly noticed her lack of enthusiasm. “... It is more like they are encouraged to so. Strongly encouraged. Otherwise, ...”

“Otherwise, what?”

 

Okaa-san wore an uneasy smile. “Let's say, clan children will never decline an invitation. As for civilian children ... There will be serious consequences for them and their families ...”

 

“...” Asami fell silent. This sounded an awful lot like ‘conscription’ in all but name ...

 

“But don't worry, Asami-chan, considering your frail constitution, you will probably fail your examination.” Okaa-san beamed. “They will reject you, just as they did me.”

 

“... ... ...” Asami doubted so. After all, her more than considerable chakra reserves were hardly inconspicuous.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Just as Okaa-san told, they were asked to report to the nearest hospital and undergo a medical examination. Sitting on Okaa-san's lap, they were both waiting for the responsible doctor to return. They had been already waiting for a while. Apparently, the doctor took his time.

 

Eventually, he returned and Asami was hard pressed to suppress her laughter. Didn't they notice how silly they looked in their stupid white gowns? The design was atrocious, making them look like complete fools.

 

The iryo-nin took a seat and flicked through his file in a hurry. She was probably not his only examinee today. The floors of the hospital were filled with masses of high spirited children, boys and girls of all ages. They were all called up and expected to undergo their mandatory yearly medical examination to evaluate their combat fitness. Even in peace, the village ever demanded a steady stream of new recruits, of fresh bodies to bolster its forces. Konoha craved ninja, even among the youngest.

 

The doctor folded his hand. “I will keep this short, Kurano-san, your daughter's results are interesting ... Very interesting, in fact.”

 

Okaa-san wondered, “Interesting?”

 

“Yes, interesting”, the doctor affirmed. “Her constitution is mediocre, at best, not to say disappointing. But her chakra ... I didn't expect anything like this ... Her chakra levels are completely off the charts ... Your daughter appears to be in possession of substantial chakra reserves. In fact, her chakra level is abnormal for her age group and background. Even compared with prominent clan children, her readings are ... beyond extraordinary, although her chakra seems to be quite one sided and yin heavy, from what I can tell.”

 

“...”Asami stiffened. Did she mess up? Apaprently, she didn't suppress her chakra level enough ...

 

Okaa-san looked concerned. “And that means?”

 

The doctor explained, “You see, chakra consists usually of two components, yin and yang. Spiritual and physical energy. Normally, the ratio is about equal, 50% yin, 50% yang. Individual exceptions exist, obviously, and certain clans are known for the high yin component. Uchiha and Nara are typical examples. Their chakra strongly favours yin.

 

But never before, I have seen such an extreme case of yin dominance. Her chakra is nearly entirely composed of pure yin, which, I guess, also explains her weak constitution. Her strong yin component hampers her physical development. Her body lacks the necessary yang to counterbalance her yin. No wonder that her growth is stunted.”

 

“Does that mean that she can't enter the academy?” Okaa-san asked, her face concerned.

 

The doctor hesitated to answer. “... ... ... Absolutely not ... Quite the contrary. Your daughter is perfectly eligible to enrol. Even if we take her physical deficiencies into account, it would be a shame to let a talent like her go to waste. I must thus strongly recommend you allow your daughter to enrol at the academy. In fact, I am obligated to report cases like hers to village council. Konoha cannot afford to ignore talents of her calibre. Your daughter must serve.

 

Her chakra is strong. Her chakra control is also exceptional, from what I can tell. Your daughter is, by all standards, naturally gifted. She should have an easy time with picking up ninjutsu, genjutsu, or even medical ninjutsu. I have no doubt that she will have a bright future as kunoichi.”

 

“I understand ...” Okaa-san was far from amused.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

310