Arc VIII Chapter 2
7k 24 201
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

VIII


━━━━━━┓༻❁༺┏━━━━━━


Arc VIII Chapter 2


━━━━━━┛༻❁༺┗━━━━━━


Asami followed the mysterious angel through an endless maze of corridors. The atmosphere was still unbearable. As a result, she tried her best to strike a conversation to lighten the mood. “I was told your name is Konan. A beautiful name.”

 

...

...

...

 

Silence.

 

“Not in a talkative mood, it seems.” Asami shook her head in dismay. “Such a shame.”

 

...

...

...

 

No reaction. Nothing.

 

The uncomfortable silence continued. Her communication attempts failed. Asami offer her hand, but Konan declined.

 

Asami clicked her tongue. “I must confess that I find your presence increasingly annoying. Ignoring a guest doesn't constitute proper etiquette, but I shouldn't have expected much from a puppet to begin with.” Her words elicited a reaction. Konan took offence. Traces of humanity were still left inside her heart.

 

...

...

...

 

“...” Konan glared at him. Her eyes expressed cold indifference. “What are you implying?”

 

Asami pondered her words. “It appears that my impression didn't deceive me, you are dead, a hollow puppet, Konan, You are nothing but an emotionless husk. Seriously, you should try to smile from time to time. Less gloom. More smile. Show some happiness. Show some positivity. It would help a lot.”

 

Konan's heart remained unmoved. “I don't smile. This world is cursed. Happiness and joy don't exist. They are a lie.”

 

Asami tilted her head. “How so?”

 

...

...

...

 

Konan dismissed her. “You wouldn't understand, child. You can't understand.”

 

Asami chuckled. “How presumptive ... I won't deny that I don't know your past, but I understand pain. I understand loss. I have suffered my fair share myself.”

 

“How so?” Konan halted. Her words hit a nerve.

 

“Konan, ... my mother was murdered before my very eyes. My hands are stained with blood. Young, old, father, mother, child, I killed them all in the name of Konoha.” Asami smiled. “I think I understand.”

 

“...”  Konan observed her in silence. Her mask never slipped. “My apologies, it seems I might have misjudged you ...”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“We have arrived, Pain-sama.” Konan bowed and Asami spotted a coated figure in the dark.

 

The man was watching Ame's skyline and the ever pouring rain, contemplating, not deeming her worthy of his attention. Her presence was of minor importance to the self proclaimed god, even when his claim appeared dubious, at best. Pain was nothing but a mere mortal.

 

“...” Asami maintained her composure, despite clenching her fist. Once again, she was ignored.

 

Pain turned, and her assessment changed drastically. For a fraction of a second, her smile faltered. Her perfect façade crumbled in frot of him. His eyes ...

 

“...” Asami fell silent. These eyes ... This was ... impossible ... A purple abyss confronted her. Pain's uncanny gaze crossed the room, judging her worth.

 

She recognised his eyes, their colour, their pattern. They were the eyes of legend, thought forever lost to myths. The Rinnegan had returned and questions arose. Pain was neither a Senju nor an Uchiha. The Rinnegan was supposed to be beyond his grasp. Yet he possessed what was clearly not his.

 

Pain studied her. “We assume that you are Asami. We were awaiting your arrival. We have heard about your capabilities. We hope that your future performance won't disappoint us.” A flash of lightning illuminated the room.

 

Asami deflected with a smile. Acting servile was the best course of action, for the time being. “I feel honoured by your trust, but my capabilities are ... modest, at best. I fail to see how I can contribute in any significant way to Akatsuki, Pain-sama.”

 

Her words elicited a weak chuckle. Her words amused Pain. “We wouldn't say so. Kakuzu spoke highly of your capabilities. We doubt that you will fail us ... Konan, hand her the scroll.” Konan complied, presented her with a scroll.

 

Asami accepted the present. “What's this?”

 

“This is your next mission.”

 

“I see.” Asami disliked the word mission. Once an errand girl. Always an errand girl. Such was her destiny. She had served Konoha. Now she served a new master.

 

Pain elaborated, “You will meet up with your assigned partner and complete the mission.”

 

Asami opened the scroll to study her orders. Cold days were about to come. Her mission led her north, into the eternal snowy white winter wonderland, without adequate equipment. No fur coat. No warm gloves. No boots.

 

“I see.” Asami smiled at her saviour. It was time to leech some funds. After all, she was a little princess, and princesses were expensive. “Pain-sama~ ...”


━━━━━━┛༻❁༺┗━━━━━━


 

201