Ch. 009 – Small gestures
737 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch. 009 - Small gestures

"So? What will it be, my dear Noire?", Purple Heart asks, awaiting her rival-slash-love interest's answer with bated breath, but also a tinge of fear. Under most circumstances, Noire would just blow her off as she always does, but right now...

"I-I don't know, it's too sudden!", comes the response from the black-haired girl. "But..."

"But?" Purple Heart shifts her stance, her focus all on Noire now. Everything else seems to just blur out, every other sound muted, silenced.

"But I guess I c-could t-t-try it...", comes the answer after much, much hesitation.

The dam breaks. Or well, at least it cracks. Purple Heart can feel the near-overwhelming urge to pick Noire up in a bridal carry, but she manages to hold herself back. Barely.

"I am delighted to hear that, Noire.", she says instead and reaches her hand out to the Lastationese ruler.

Noire takes her hand to get up, then dusts her clothes off, not noticing how Purple Heart holds her other arm behind her back in a suspicious pose.

"...You know this won't go easy. Your little stunt had the entire country on alert, and they'll be convinced that this relationship is the result of coercion."

"Ahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAAAHAAH! No, they won't.", comes the surprisingly joyful answer from the Planeptunian goddess.

Noire can't help but stare, blank-eyed, as if her counter-part has a screw lose. Well, more so than usual, that is.

"And what makes you think that!?"

"Simple. While on the way here, I had Nepgear fiddle with the transmissions. Everything we said was broadcast live. So no taking things back now."

The realisation kicks in slowly, so very slowly, until Noire finally understands the magnitude of it all.

"Sorry for tricking you, but it was necessary because you are always oh-so-dishonest. By the way, this current part of the conversation isn't aired anywhere, so feel free to vent now."

Seconds pass that feel like hours, but Noire remains at a loss for words. Was this really Purple Heart in front of her? Certainly, Neptune as she usually is wouldn't come up with such a plan, but even in her CPU form she never portrayed such... deviousness.

"...So that means Nepgear, Uni, and even Histoire were in on the plan?"

"Histy, no. The other two, yes. They had to act concerned to make it believable for... shall we say 'everyone who's been following this' and as such played along." Purple Heart looks away into the distance, trying to find her next words. "Look, Noire, I don't know what happened over the last couple days or how we got these new HDDs, but I think something good happened with acquiring them. Nepgear and Uni looked so very cheerful and positive. They are happy now that they are together, and they seem to want us to be together as well. I'm sorry for all of this, but I've known you for centuries. It was the only way to make you actually believe me - by seeing for yourself."

"Th-That doesn't excuse the fact you put a lot of people in danger! Heck, this doesn't even make any sense! I can't believe this! Be glad that nobody got actually hurt other than me and that the only cost to this was a bunch of missiles. Had even one Lastationese citizen come to harm from this, I swear I would have not given you the satisfaction...", Noire shouts with renewed anger, visibly getting out of breath.

"B-But you did make sure that nobody got hurt, so... so... argh! Fine, you wanted an answer!? I'll say it clearly now: Yes, I'll become your lover, or girlfriend, or whatever you want! But this is NOT over!!! There, are you happy now!?"

Once more, silence falls over the area. Noire, standing with her finger angrily pointing at Purple Heart, starts wavering when her new girlfriend starts stepping a little closer. A wordless hug follows, as well as low whispering right into her ear.

"Of course I'm happy. And I promise you, this was the first and last time. No more tricks. Noire, I love you so much I can't describe it, and for the first time that I can remember I am finally able to live it out. If there is some way you want me to apologise, I will do so."

"*Sigh*, what am I going to do with you?", comes the resigned half-answer. Noire, albeit with hesitation, finally answers the hug, drawing Purple Heart closer and closer. "Then here's how you will repent: I'll have you eat a literal ton of eggplants."

Purple Heart's eyes shoot open with sheer disgust, and with revulsion she breaks free from Noire.

"No... No! ANYTHING BUT THAAAAAAAAT!!!"

----------

"These two are so silly. This isn't a game, yet they can't seem to grasp that."

"Lady Vert, should we go on alert? A Lastation-Planeptune alliance could go very badly for Leanbox!"

Vert looks over her shoulder at Chika. Chika Hakozaki, the final oracle and the one in the employ of Leanbox, Land of Green Pastures... and also not-so-secretly in love with Vert, who however is unable to answer her feelings. Mainly because Vert is interested in someone else.

"I don't think there's a need to do that. With the recent developments going on in Lastation and Planeptune, I don't think their possible alliance will ultimately do us harm... even if they tried to. They just do not have the military might that we do."

"Ah of course! Lady Vert's investments into our martial prowess are unriva---"

"But suffice to say, I am rather concerned about Purple Heart in particular. The video analysis is still going, but from what we got so far, she seems to have become several magnitudes stronger. We need to investigate into that. If she specifically proves a danger, and with Noire's crushing loss as proof, there may be need to uncover the secret so that I too become stronger... Actually, strike that. I definitely need to."

"I'll inform CAVE and the rest of Red Ring at once!"

With a salute, Chika leaves Vert's office, leaving the blonde goddess alone to think.

"I need answers. Placating Chika so she works at top concentration instead of being worried sick over me is always taxing, but it's needed. Now who could I... oh, that could work."

With a few button presses, Vert opens one of the top-security comm channels and types a few instructions in:

Contact Herogirl

Task: find answers

Goal: PH got power how, method info to RRL

Do NOT be caught!

END OF LINE

"*Sigh*, let's hope she can get this done. Power, is it...?"

----------

Nisa's phone receives a message entirely made from code words... or rather random letters and numbers, really. To anyone else it would seem like gibberish, but she understands the use of one-time pads.

"Huh, what's... oh, right, it's one of those. Okay, match the date, substitute... 'PH power, method to RRL, no catch'... what the heck? Purple Heart got some kind of new power, and they don't know how? Can't CAVE take care of this herself? *Sigh*... Fine, I'll do it."

Typing in the affirmative, and closing her phone, the self-proclaimed ally of justice gets to work. Naturally it does not take long, what with the event just about an hour prior being discussed on various news channels. One just has to take a look at an electronics shop with TVs to roughly know what's going on in the world.

"The people here sure are used to their goddess' antics it seems. If I was a Planeptunian citizen I'd be more concerned over the prospect of war with another nation. Weirdos.", Nisa thinks to herself as she heads to Planeptune's Basilicom.

As a sovereign citizen owing allegiance to nobody, but similarly also not being under the direct protection of any of the four countries, Nisa sees no issue in doing what she believes is right.

That said, she figures her current best chance of doing justice is helping out as a spy for Red Ring without being a direct member - essentially a kind of mercenary, really.

"Now let's see, there should be a vent somewhere here. Ah, there it is."

Carefully screwing off the vent cover, she slips inside, her small body and flat chest being of use in such a situation - although she would never admit that herself.

"Damn it's dusty in here...! Good thing I got my scarf on."

Crawling very, very carefully, years of training in being completely unseen and unheard working to her advantage, she manages to slip through the vent system until she comes to an impasse - the vent here is proving too narrow. Worse, several vertical beams hinder her progress. So Nisa has no choice but to turn back by going backwards. Going just as slowly, she manages a certain distance, and then notices she got stuck somehow!

"Crap! Okay... Okay, keep quiet, Nisa, you got this! Just look what's wrong an---" "AAAAahhhh!"

With a crash, the part of the vent Nisa is in comes loose and crashes down. Loudly.

"Ouch ouch ouch! Let's hope nobody heard.... that... crap." Is all she can say as several security guards are already surrounding her, rifles aimed and trigger fingers ready.

"W-Would you believe me I got lost?"

Naturally, none of the soldiers are in a mood for jokes.

"...Guess not.", is all the resigned Nisa can say as she holds her hands up in surrender.

"Bring her to Lady Nepgear, she'll want to interrogate the intruder!"

Cuffs on hands, Nisa is pulled away and thrown into a high-security cell to be interrogated later. Maybe she can still pull this around.

----------

"Your name?"

"...*Sigh*, do we really need to do this?", Nisa, chained to a desk, answers with a question. The interrogator is not amused and smacks her right across the face.

"OUCH! Okay, okay, the name's Nisa. No last name."

"Country of allegiance?"

"None. I'm a sovereign citizen."

"...You do realise this means you have no rights here, yes? But then again, since you're obviously a spy, any other country would deny sending you, so not like it makes a difference."

Behind the one-way mirror, Nepgear looks at the proceedings. Normally her sister would take care of this, but seeing how's currently abroad, it falls to her as the second in command.

"That's really Nisa, isn't it? I haven't seen her in years! What's she doing here?"

The aide next to her goes through the report and gives a summary.

"She was found in a broken vent, it's very probable she tried to spy on us. Why anyone would use the vent system of all things is beyond me. The dust alone would choke most people and even for someone of her stature it's obviously too small."

"Worst spy ever, as sis would say?"

"Pretty much. Do you wish to interrogate her yourself, Lady Nepgear?"

"...*Sigh*, I'll see what I can do."

With the original interrogator recalled, Nepgear enters the room from behind Nisa's back where the door is. Nisa herself can't believe her eyes as she takes in Nepgear's new, showy form - the sheer malice she radiates makes her gulp repeatedly. This won't go well.

"Nisa, why did you do this?"

"D-D-Demon! You're not Nepgear, are you!?"

"'Demon'? Where'd that come from? You make me sad, you know!? I haven't seen you in so long!"

"S-Sorry, but... the power you radiate, it's... well, it's honestly really discomforting. I'd even say it's downright evil. Did you sell your soul!?"

Taken aback for a moment by the words of her old friend, Nepgear nonetheless regains her composure.

"No. No! I'm still myself... Well, okay, I'm a bit different and a lot stronger, but I promise you, as old friends, I'm still fine. So is sis, by the way. Did you see the news? She and Noire are finally getting together!", the purple-haired girl says, joy obvious in her voice.

"That's... that's good, yes! But didn't you think this would lead to war?"

"...War? Please, it was obvious sis would never harm anyone. I mean okay, Noire got hit a bit, but the only thing that's really bruised is her ego."

"Wow, you ARE different! The old Nepgear wouldn't be so nonchalant..."

"Perhaps... Anyway, look. You're our prisoner, so if you cooperate, I'll be able to give you decent accommodations. So who are you working for?"

"Justice, obviously.", Nisa says with a smirk. A smirk she quickly retracts as she sees Nepgear's face contort into something of utterly disbelief... and very much the kind of face someone makes when not amused whatsoever.

"Ah, ah! S-Sorry! It's Leanbox, Leanbox! I'm a merc!"

The feeling of sheer terror abates just as quickly as it came. Nisa now knows that this new Nepgear is not someone to joke around with.

The rest of the interrogation goes fairly quickly after that, Nisa's answers just spilling out of her mouth. While as a hired gun she doesn't know much for various reasons, it still paints a decent picture overall.

Nepgear is starting to grow concerned and goes on a direct line with Histoire to inform the diminutive fairy of the proceedings.

----------

"Mina? Mina, can you hear me?", comes Histoire's voice from the computer terminal.

Mina Nishizawa, Lowee's blue-haired oracle, answers the call as soon as she realises it's happening; considering it's from Histoire, it has to be important.

"Oh thank Magna Heart you finally picked up! Listen, we have a situation over here - a spy from Leanbox tried to gain access to our Basilicom. We caught the spy and Nepgear is currently interrogating her, but this incident coming this close after what happened between Purple Heart and Black Heart - you did watch the news, right? - it stands to reason they'll try similar things at Lowee."

"Okay, okay, slow down Histoire. You say you have a Leanboxian spy on hand?"

"Yes, it's Nisa. Yes, I couldn't believe this either, she hasn't been seen in many years. Apparently she really has been working for Leanbox in secret all this time."

"Even though she's supposedly Lastationese? Sounds odd."

"I know that. Look, the point is, you have to inform White Heart. Keep her away from Ram and Rom, they should be on the way. They're---"

"Ram and Rom? They've been here for hours. Blanc locked herself away with them. Should I insist on taking a look?"

"...Oh by Magna Heart, yes! Hurry! I can't explain this in full, but something is wrong with their HDDs and they ar--- *Sizzle static*!"

"Histoire? Histoire!? Answer me, what happened!?... Dammit, the line's dead!"

Fearing that something is going very wrong, Mina shuts the console off and heads to Blanc's room. If what Histoire said is true, then whatever happened she has to make sure Blanc isn't... well, whatever it is that happened.

Only a few minutes by lift later, and a few steps further, Mina is standing in front of Blanc's private quarters. Without missing a beat, she knocks repeatedly on the door, but no answer comes.

"Blanc? Blanc, you're in there, right? Are Ram and Rom with you? I need to talk with all of you, it's urgent!", she shouts through the door.

A couple electronic beeps and clicks later, the door opens inwards and there stands Rom, hair dishevelled and slightly sweaty.

"Oh, hello Mina, it's nice to see you. Please come in, Blanc's waiting for you."

"Rom? Why are you... wait, that's not your usual HDD! What happen---!?"

Rom impatiently drags Mina inside, and Ram who stood behind it closes it behind her.

As Mina looks over the twins' very different HDD outfits, resembling a fairy and a succubus respectively, she can't help but grow very concerned.

The concern only grows stronger when she sees Blanc, whose grey segmented armour is just as unusual.

"Wh-What happened to all of you!?"

"We found...", Rom begins.

"Love.", Ram continues.

"Yes, love. And it feels really good. You should try it.", Blanc finishes.

Mina can't help but stare at those strange answers. Coupled with the altered outfits and the weird aura the three give off, she feels like stepped right into a lions' den, the prey waiting to be eaten.

Ram and Rom give her a push - literally - and Mina falls face-first on the bed.

"Wh-What!?", is all she can get out before Blanc leans down and kisses the girl in red. A strange sense of calmness overcomes Mina and her eyes start to cloud over.

"Hm, maybe oracles aren't strong enough to deal with this properly. Oh well. Ram, Rom, go play with her for a bit. I myself have a certain busty annoyance to take care of."

"Of course, Blanc."

"We'll have fuuun."

"Good, see you later."

And with that, Blanc exits the room while Ram and Rom, with mischievous looks, wonder how they should 'play' with Mina first.

----------

"Looks like Nisa's secret transplant got us a decent amount of information. CAVE's report indicates she never even suspected a thing."

"Neither did those fools of Planeptune, as expected of my beloved Lady Vert!", Chika says with her usual enthusiasm and tries to hug Vert, who expertly moves out of the way, resulting in Chika almost falling over and flat on her face.

"I'll leave the rest to you. I think I should head over to Planeptune and see for mys---"

"I don't think you should, tittymonster!", comes the sudden and very much unexpected voice of a certain blue-haired goddess with anger problems aplenty.

"BLANC!? What are you doing--- how did you--- you, explain yourself!", both Chika and Vert can only stammer, the appearance of the youngest-looking CPU leaving them shocked and confused.

"What, how did I evade your security systems? Idiots, we live on a planet! With all your systems facing various degrees of north, it was ridiculously easy to get here by going the other way around."

Not missing a beat, Chika slams one of the security alert buttons mounted on the walls, but nothing happens.

Blanc can only roll her eyes at that.

"You really think that would work? Of course I've disabled your systems. Have you forgotten how many times I've been here over the centuries? I know your stuff. Lowee's tech might be not as advanced as yours, but we've been around for far longer."

With that given, Chika steps in front of Vert in a protective gesture, her summoned spear in hand.

Blanc remains unarmed though, her posture relaxed and... strangely calm.

"Put that toothpick away, you know it won't do a thing to me. Look, I know my entrance was a little... unexpected, but I promise I didn't hurt anyone on the way in, if that's what you think. I actually came to talk. About the current situation that's going on."

Vert steps forward, gently pushing Chika aside, and readies herself.

"And what 'situation' would that be?"

"Power. The power of love, I'd say."

Both Chika and Vert perk up to that, if for different reasons.

Hello again. This time it took a little longer to get the new chapter up, I hope it was worth the wait. I know it's not a very spectacular one, but I'll try to get any following chapters to include more action. As always, constructive criticism and comments are welcome.

Have a nice day~

9