46 – Child – So many questions, So little time
5k 32 163
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dad was planning to run a coup against the Notos family?

...Notos family?

"Wait." I frowned and said, "Who are the Notos family? They sound important but-"

Footsteps suddenly echoed from the distance, followed by the sound of a door opening. Shortly after that, a familiar female voice called out. Mom's. "Roxy! I thought I heard Rudy! Is my son finally awake?!"

I blinked and looked towards her. "Mom?"

"Rudy!"

I felt a rush of air and then I was wrapped into a warm hug. My mom held me tight and said, "Thank Milis! I was... I was starting to get worried that you would never wake up...!" She sniffed.

I quickly patted her back and said, "I-It's fine, Mom! It was only a week, right? It's not like a year or something."

Right. It wasn't that.

...I still wasn't sure if it was a dream or if I really got pulled back in time after some magic that old man used, but I could still clearly recall it.

My mom, her beautiful blonde hair already graying with stress wrinkles on her face. The sheer relief on her face when she saw me awake...

I felt my mom pull back.

After that, my mom said, "Hmph! This isn't the time to play it cool for Roxy like your dad would! A week is a long time, you know? Even for adventurers, most people are only unconscious for a day or two max! To be out for a week... Ugh! Just what did that stupid father of yours do?!"

My mom stomped and then huffed.

"Wait." Roxy spoke up and said, "...You mean other adventurers don't fall unconscious for weeks at a time?"

I turned towards Roxy and gave her a blank stare. ...Well, what I thought was a blank stare. I was blind right now, so it probably was pretty authentic.

"D-Don't give me that look, Rudy."

I heard something faint shift. Probably Master Roxy's hair from shaking her head.

My mom let out a deep sigh. "Roxy."

"Y-Yes, Zenith?"

"You need to take better care of yourself! What would your mother and father think if they knew you were collapsing like that? Especially when you're such a cute girl?"

"...It doesn't matter what they'd think. And it was fine. Each time was within a safe environment."

"Roxy-"

"In any case." Roxy turned to look at me... probably.

I heard some clothes and hair rustling, so it seemed to be the case.

"I was explaining to you what your father was doing-"

My mom huffed. "That guy... Just what was he thinking? Hitting his son on the head like that while running off to say he was protecting us all..."

I laughed and said, "Well. Dad's never been the smartest."

Sword genius, yes. A guy who thought through the future consequences of his actions... No.

I mean, he knew how to take responsibility for them, but it would definitely be nice if he picked up a bit of foresight...

I felt the bed shift beside me before a soft hand ruffled my hair.

After that, my mom's voice echoed from my right and said, "I know. He's always been rushing off before thinking. But something this big... I wish he would have told us more about it before he left. Stupid Paul... letters only explain so much."

I sighed. "That definitely sounds like Dad..."

"Um." Roxy spoke up and said, "Should I continue explaining?"

"Oh." My mom spoke up and said, "I'm sorry, Roxy. I didn't mean to interrupt."

"It's fine. You and Miss Lilia have been worrying for a while now about Rudy, so I understand."

I raised my hand and said, "Before that though... Um, what time is it?"

Everything was dark and I couldn't sense anything with mana. It was almost like after the accident.

Almost, but the only sense I was down was sight, so I managed to not panic.

Barely.

...No, I was definitely feeling a bit of panic starting. But Master Roxy and Mom were here, so I managed to keep it down.

"Eh?" My mom spoke up and said, "What do you mean, Rudy? It's morning?"

"Is it?"

Silence.

Master Roxy cleared her throat. "Zenith-"

Before she could say anything else, I felt a pair of hands grab my cheeks and slowly turn my head. I also felt a presence draw near.

"...By Milis. Rudy... Can you not see me?"

"Um..."

"You can't." The hands... No, they were my mom's hands. She dropped them. And then the bed shifted as my mom (probably) stood up. "My son is blind."

Master Roxy quickly spoke up and said, "Zenith. Please calm down-"

"My son is blind! How can I remain calm!?"

"It's temporary. And it wasn't from Paul. You should know best since you were the one who treated him."

"Even if he's fine and it's temporary, he's still blind! All of this because of that idiot! Argh, I'm going to kill him!"

I cleared my throat and said, "Please don't. I'm sure that Dad-"

"And you! Stop protecting your father! I can accept Lilia, but this is unforgiveable! Hitting my precious Rudy in the head hard enough to cause blindness... I'm going to give him a piece of my mind! And I'll tell Lily too! Ooh, when he gets back..."

...Well. I tried.

I heard someone pacing around the room... probably my mom. She paced around and said, "Honestly! Bringing Ghyslaine along to try and test Rudy and then push him to his limits... He's lucky Rudy woke up! If he was still asleep after today...!"

"Um... Dad means well though?"

My mom let out a deep sigh and then walked back towards me before sitting on the bed next to me. I felt her pull me into a one-arm hug and said, "Rudy is too nice. It's okay to get mad at your dad, you know?"

"Oh, don't get me wrong, Mom. I'm mad at him."

Saying that he'd explain only if I beat that Ghyslaine woman... No, purposefully trying to provoke me like that...

Who the hell did he think he was? G*ku? I wasn't some half-alien prodigy who had hidden powers that would suddenly burst forward if I was mad or something like Goh*n.

I wasn't stupid. If he sat down and explained, I would have helped him out. But noooo. That guy just had to try and be a proper dad for once...

"Good." My mom patted my head and said, "Then when you're better, we'll take a trip down to the Citadel of Roa and give your dad a piece of our minds."

"Um." Roxy spoke up and said, "I can't allow that."

I turned to look at Master Roxy... Well, where it sounded like she was.

I felt the bed shift, so it seemed like my mom was doing the same.

"...And why not, Roxy?"

"If Paul is seriously attempting to overthrow the current head of the Notos family, you two will be walking into the hornet's nest and create a liability."

"Well then, Roxy should just come with us!"

"And leave everyone else unprotected?"

Silence. And then my mom let out a deep sigh. "...Dammit, Paul." I felt the bed shift again. My mom standing up. After that, I felt her ruffle my hair and said, "Well then... For now, just rest up, Rudy. Mom will just send Dad an angry letter with Laws tomorrow. ...And a few other letters too. Just to be sure."

"Try not to be too mad at Dad?"

"...Mom will do her best. But this time your dad made a big mistake. Even if it was for the right reasons." She let out another deep sigh, her voice trailing away as she walked off. "Honestly, what was he going to do if Roxy missed the letter? Or if Rudy never woke up? Is making sure the Notos family and Asura Kingdom won't come after us worth it...? We could have just moved back to Milis..."

Silence. And then Master Roxy spoke up. Her voice hesitant. "...Rudy doesn't plan on marching out to war any time soon, do you? Because if you are, I am going to have to restrain you. Even if you are an Emperor-ranked magician, it would be too dangerous. And... I don't want my cute disciple dying in vain."

I sat back up and frowned. "Just how dangerous is it, Master? What *is* the Notos family?"

"Ah. I suppose I never explained that properly. You see-"

A door opened in the distance. Shortly after that, a pair of babies crying echoed.

"Miss Zenith! I think it's time to feed Norn!"

Sylphy.

"My apologies, Zenny. But Norn seems to be fussy today..."

Mama Lily.

Roxy was quiet for a bit and then sighed. After that, she ruffled my hair and said, "How about we put this off for a little bit? Right now, I think that there are quite a few people who wish to see you."

"Is my cute baby girl hungry? Here, Mommy's got you... Oh! And let's say good morning to your big brother! He's finally awake, you know?"

Sylphy gasped. "Rudy's awake?! Really?!"

Rapid footsteps approached before the door to my room slammed open.

"Rudy! You're okay!"

Before I could respond, a pair of thin arms wrapped around me, pulling me into a tight hug.

It was familiar. Not long ago, the same thing had happened... at least, something similar.

"You were asleep for so long, that I thought...!"

I reached over to pat her head, planning to comfort her just like I did before.

But I missed.

"Eh?"

I felt Sylphy lean back. After that, she gasped and said, "Rudy! Your eyes! What happened?! Is it like your hair? Why are they a different color now?"

"Wait. What do you mean a different color?"

"They're a pretty blue now!"

"...What?"

Master Roxy coughed.

I have. SO MANY QUESTIONS!

-LIV-

In the Citadel of Roa, about a day's ride away from Buina village. Specifically, in the castle housing the Region lord and the city's mayor.

A small meeting room with ornate wooden benches and a thin table between them.

There, Paul stared at a contract lying on the table in front of him, frowning. A glass of wine was set off to the side, untouched.

Across the table, a man with reddish brown hair smiled. Unlike Paul, who was wearing a typical adventurer outfit, the man was dressed in a posh black suit.

Philip Boreas Greyrat. Paul's cousin, and the one who gave Paul his job as a knight in the first place.

"Well?" Philip smiled and leaned his arm against the side of the bench, resting his head against his hand. "You've had a week to mull it over now. What do you think, Cousin?"

163